Eric Mangini aiming to create 'confusion' with 49ers' D

BurnleyJet

Disagree. I think he did a good job here as a HC, he did a good job in CLE as a HC. But that's besides the point. He's among the best and most knowledgable coaches in football when it comes to defense.

IMO this is a big opportunity to reestablish himself as a DC. May be his last shot...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You realize Favre had a torn bicep The drop off in production was obvious

Mangini was 5-12 over his last two seasons as Jets coach without a healthy Brett Favre.

Only thing I thought stopped us. Favre does not get hurt we had a serious chance. Defense was good enough IMHO.

Jets were #16 in total defense that year. Rex had much of the same group #1 the following year. Referring to Eric Mangini as one of the best defensive minds in the NFL is ridiculous. This is a guy who was out of football for a couple years before landing a consulting job on the 49ers then being elevated to tight ends coach (overseeing the worst season in Vernon Davis' career, lol). He's a classic baffle 'em with bullsh*t kinda guy. Be interesting to see how he performs as a DC without having an actual defensive genius to lean on.

Since the end of the 2014 season, Manginii has lost three superstars (ok  2 stars and one budding star) Patrick Willis, Justin Smith and Chris Borland.  They drafted Armstead, but that defense went from one of the best to skeletal practically overnight.  Mangini had better engage in deception/confusion because the talent is just not there any more.  Frankly, I think SFO's defense will be weak in 2015.

Only thing I thought stopped us.  Favre does not get hurt we had a serious chance.   Defense was good enough IMHO.

Mangini and Sutton went 100% into panic turtle mode late in the season and played so utterly conservatively it was a big additional reason for the melt down other than the Favre injury.

If Fayre was not a dumbass and get himself into that texting trouble we might have been able to get him back the next year.  I honestly think the 1st year of Rex's tenure with that defense and favre playing well might have carried us to the promised land.

Mangini and Sutton went 100% into panic turtle mode late in the season and played so utterly conservatively it was a big additional reason for the melt down other than the Favre injury.

If Fayre was not a dumbass and get himself into that texting trouble we might have been able to get him back the next year. I honestly think the 1st year of Rex's tenure with that defense and favre playing well might have carried us to the promised land.

Hit the nail on the head.

Mangini was an extremely conservative defensive playcaller. He'd go into the dime or quarters against scrubs like Matt Cassell with Darrelle friggin Revis and Kerry Rhodes - yeah cuz they needed so much help covering their assignments.

Does Mangini have a better winning percentage with the Jets than Rex? It's got to be close.

They're in the same ballpark...might even be exactly the same...With Favre and Pennington he was only good enough to equal Rex's winning pct with Sanchez and Geno while getting pummeled in his only playoff appearance.  Rex also took Mangini's 18th ranked defense to no. 1.  Mangini was awesome though.

I'm confused.  I thought it was decided that Rex was the worst HC in the history of the NFL.   Replaced Kotite.  Now Mangini  has overtaken him again?

Rex and Mangini being awful is not mutually exclusive.

They're in the same ballpark...might even be exactly the same...With Favre and Pennington he was only good enough to equal Rex's winning pct with Sanchez and Geno while getting pummeled in his only playoff appearance.  Rex also took Mangini's 18th ranked defense to no. 1.  Mangini was awesome though.

Mangini had a good nose for figuring out whether football really, truly was the most important thing to guys. 

That's all he was good at. 

Mangini had a good nose for figuring out whether football really, truly was the most important thing to guys. 

That's all he was good at. 

Pete Kendall spoke well of Mangini...said he was a good coach who covered everything during the week that the team would eventually see on Sundays...they were never surprised by what other teams did...things obviously didn't work out but I was surprised to hear Kendall speak highly of him.

Either way, he joins a long list of Jets coaches who couldn't win a ring, and the slightly smaller list of coaches who couldn't manage to win a playoff game.

I think there are 2 core defensive philosophies that you see in the NFL. Complicated systems like Rex's, Bellichick's or Mangini's that are designed to confuse the offense and create defensive mismatches that can be exploited, and more basic systems that do not rely as much on tricking the offense, as much as just playing solid football that allows the defense to play faster, usually generate more turnovers and avoid more big plays against, but are not as dynamic in creating short series and limiting yards. Quinn's and Bowles systems are very much like this. I think I prefer the second system as the big play mistakes of the other philosophy negate too much of the 3 and outs and dramatic stops that are made.

I think there are 2 core defensive philosophies that you see in the NFL. Complicated systems like Rex's, Bellichick's or Mangini's that are designed to confuse the offense and create defensive mismatches that can be exploited, and more basic systems that do not rely as much on tricking the offense, as much as just playing solid football that allows the defense to play faster, usually generate more turnovers and avoid more big plays against, but are not as dynamic in creating short series and limiting yards. Quinn's and Bowles systems are very much like this. I think I prefer the second system as the big play mistakes of the other philosophy negate too much of the 3 and outs and dramatic stops that are made.

The second system assumes that you have the talent to pull it off. The Jets are stacked at nearly every position on defense, so it's easy for Bowles to put players in their natural positions and let their instincts take over. It's only when the defense is under-stocked in one area or the other - like Rex's defense from the past two years - that you need to get creative with elaborate gameplans.

Dan Quinn can thank Carroll and the Seattle front office for making him look like a genius. It's pretty hard not be a good DC when you have Richard Sherman and Cam Chancellor shutting down defenders and blowing guys up the middle every other play.

Thank you Eric Mangini for exposing the cheatriots* for who they really are

San Fran has gutted that team and I do not expect them to have a great season but I am glad Mangini has another chance and hope he does well (unless they play the Jets)

He has a great eye for defensive players.

So his front 7 are going to mill around until the snap--I have seen that before.  Her pulled that a few times as coach.  The only confusion  that he ever managed to produce.  His D was as unaggressive as a three toed sloth.

Pete Kendall spoke well of Mangini...said he was a good coach who covered everything during the week that the team would eventually see on Sundays...

He also accused Mangini and Tannenbaum of conspiring behind his back to board him up with rookies during training camp, then he publically chastised their relationship and forced the team to trade him.

So his front 7 are going to mill around until the snap--I have seen that before. Her pulled that a few times as coach. The only confusion that he ever managed to produce. His D was as unaggressive as a three toed sloth.

Matt Cassell just dumped it off to Welker a couple times time to go preven!

#fundamentals

So when Rex does it it's a great thing and he's a defensive genius but when Mangini does the same he's a moron. Makes sense.

Anyway, the Penguin knows defense, coverages, putting guys in the right spot etc. as well as anybody in football. Rooting for him and the 49ers in the NFC.

Yeah my brother is a 49ers fan so I follow them more than most teams anyways, and they still have some talent on that defense to work with, but they have lost a good amount of playmakers.

I liked the physical style their team has played with the past 4-5 years. Too bad they couldn't work it out with Harbaugh, he did a hell of a job, but I'll still be interested in seeing how things work out for Mangini and co.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Couldn't make the playoffs with a HOF QB during the only season in which the Pats did not have Brady, and lost to New England with Matt Cassel at QB who hadn't started a game since HS. Yeah...those were the days.

That was disappointing to lose to Cassell in his first start since High School I believe. He did have that team playing very good football 10-11 games in, but that epic collapse was the reason he lost his job.

Favre injury or not, it was a joke losing to teams like Seattle with their depleted O-Line when a playoff spot was at stake.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Couldn't make the playoffs with a HOF QB during the only season in which the Pats did not have Brady, and lost to New England with Matt Cassel at QB who hadn't started a game since HS.  Yeah...those were the days.

For the sake of being objective, Brett Favre was a shell of a qb when he came to the NYJ. he threw 22 interceptions that year. His QBR was 44.86. His rating was 81. He threw for an average of 217 yards per game.

Those numbers are early Sanchez like. 

Saying that Brett Favre was a HOF type QB when he was with the Jets is like saying that Ronnie Lott was a HOF  type safety in his years with the Jets

Couldn't make the playoffs with a HOF QB during the only season in which the Pats did not have Brady, and lost to New England with Matt Cassel at QB who hadn't started a game since HS.  Yeah...those were the days.

Favre was 8-3 pre-injury.  Once he tore a tendon he went right down the sh*tter.  Was Mangini supposed to bench him for Kellen Clemens?  You really think THAT would have given us that playoff push.  Please. 

Whether you wanna believe it or not, Mangini was building a heck of a football team.  Yes there were some whiffs in the draft, Gholston and the Boar Hunter, but he also hit some damn good picks as well.  Rex walked in, added Sanchez to the team and ended up in 2 championship games with mostly Mangini guys.  It wasn't until Rex's guys started infiltrating the roster that the team sh*t the bed. 

Let me ask you this-given where we were at the time do you think Mangini would have traded up for Mark Sanchez?  I don't. 

Favre was 8-3 pre-injury.  Once he tore a tendon he went right down the sh*tter.  Was Mangini supposed to bench him for Kellen Clemens?  You really think THAT would have given us that playoff push.  Please. 

Yeah, right, as if Favre would have allowed himself to be benched. And risk his consecutive games streak???? Not likely.

Favre played for himself, much more than he played for any team his last 4-5 years.

That's exactly what he should've done. But he was too star struck by Favre, naming his kid after him and sustaining his iron man starting streak. Maybe Clemens could've won more than one game down the stretch, and maybe Favre would've been able to come back stronger after some rest and/or surgery. We'll never know. All we do know is what he chose to do resulted in them completely tanking.

That's exactly what he should've done. But he was too star struck by Favre, naming his kid after him and sustaining his iron man starting streak. Maybe Clemens could've won more than one game down the stretch, and maybe Favre would've been able to come back stronger after some rest and/or surgery. We'll never know. All we do know is what he chose to do resulted in them completely tanking.

It is almost like he had a tattoo of his wife with the QB's jersey on or something.

When exactly was it that Favre "tore a tendon"?  During the season they said he was dinged but going to play through it.  Later on it became this specific thing that happened on some specific date when he started to suck.  Favre was always a streaky dude and other than the Titans and Cards, almost all their damage was done against the bottom of the barrel.  In fact, some of their losses were against the bottom of the barrel - they were dismantled by a mediocre Chargers team and lost to the crappy Raiders before anybody could claim Favre got hurt.

Archived