Jets Coordinator Rodgers Turns up Heat on Milliner

JetNation

Rodgers_Kacy.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

It seems the New York Jets are less impressed with oft-injured cornerback Dee Milliner than with wildly inconsistent quarterback Geno Smith as evidenced by comments made by each player’s respective coordinator.

Just days after offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said there will be no pre-season quarterback competition between Smith and offseason addition Ryan Fitzpatrick, defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers was quoted as saying Milliner is fighting just to stay on the roster according to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com.

“When you look at Dee coming in, you see a guy still kind of working off of an injury, trying to get himself to 100 percent,” defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said last week. “But as we looked at him, we expect Dee to compete for a position on the roster like everyone else. This was a top-10 pick, and we think he has a lot of ability and we expect him to compete.”

Dee-Milliner-2-300x203.png

Inconsistency and injuries have plagued Milliner since being selected by the Jets two seasons ago with the ninth overall pick

Milliner is still rehabbing from a torn achilles he suffered in the first quarter of a week six contest at home against the Denver Broncos while playing special teams last season.

There is no definitive timetable for Milliner’s return and when asked about the cornerback’s progress, rookie head coach Todd Bowles had this to say: “the trainers and the doctors can tell you better than I can. He does some individual work and I kind of go from there”.

Given the off-season additions of cornerbacks Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine, it was no secret that Milliner would find himself being pushed down the depth chart and battling for playing time, but saying he’s working to earn a spot on the roster comes as a surprise.

While it’s entirely possible that Rodgers’ comments could have been intended to serve as motivation for Milliner, it would be a curious approach given the completely opposite method used by Gailey in regards to Smith.

Either way, Milliner’s primary concern moving forward should be getting healthy and picking up where he left off at the tail end of his rookie campaign before being hampered by injuries during his sophomore season.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One is the only real option right now at QB the other plays a position where he is 4 deep. Not shocking

Chan Gailey said that there will not be a QB competition and Geno is the starter.  Are you suggesting he was  naming Geno the starter of OTA's?  People keep talking about "right now" as if Gailey said that the QB competition will start as soon as Fitz is healthy.  He was asked point blank if there would be a competition during the pre-season when Fitz is back on the field, not if there would be one this week.  His answer was no, there will not be a QB competition.

Chan Gailey said that there will not be a QB competition and Geno is the starter.  Are you suggesting he was  naming Geno the starter of OTA's?  People keep talking about "right now" as if Gailey said that the QB competition will start as soon as Fitz is healthy.  He was asked point blank if there would be a competition during the pre-season when Fitz is back on the field, not if there would be one this week.  His answer was no, there will not be a QB competition.

Gailey's words were ambiguous. He left himself some "wiggle room" if Fitz outplay Geno in camp.

I personally think the coaching staff knows fitz won't be 100% when season opens and Geno is the only logical choice until Fitz is healthy. Might as well build up his confidence!

Gailey's words were ambiguous. He left himself some "wiggle room" if Fitz outplay Geno in camp.

I personally think the coaching staff knows fitz won't be 100% when season opens and Geno is the only logical choice until Fitz is healthy. Might as well build up his confidence!

I guess it's all up to interpretation but I  heard him say there would be no competition because Geno is the starter unless there's an injury.  Now of course Geno is far from "cemented in" as the starter (I hope)because he hasn't been very good and could be replaced if outplayed, but if there's no competition, how many reps would a back up likely get?

As far as Geno's confidence, that might be one of the few things he has going for him.  His production was among the worst in the NFL last season and he said publicly that he'd played like a pro-bowler at times and the last regime did the same thing...handed him the job without putting any pressure on  him to win it.

I guess it was really silly for any of us to assume the new staff would do it any differently and make him perform on the field to get the job.  We all got fired up thinking Geno was going to have to earn it this season without really knowing if it would be the case. 

Hey, I hope the guy lights it up.

Injured? Yes. Inconsistent? No. He was always bad. No business being in the NFL. To be picked where he was is a disgrace. Who scouted this guy? The Blind Shiek? Get rid of him so we are not reminded of that horrible mistake.

Injured? Yes. Inconsistent? No. He was always bad. No business being in the NFL. To be picked where he was is a disgrace. Who scouted this guy? The Blind Shiek? Get rid of him so we are not reminded of that horrible mistake.

He played extremely well at the end of his rookie year, a year later he tears his achilles at the beginning of the season. The jury is still out on Dee. He could turn out to be a Pro Bowler, or a complete bust. We'll see in about 2-3 years.

Only played a couple games last season after strong finish to his rookie year.  He was terrible against GB, but very well against San Diego before getting hurt.  He's a young player who has shown the ability to play at a high level.  Dumping players like that isn't a great way to do business IMO.

He played extremely well at the end of his rookie year, a year later he tears his achilles at the beginning of the season. The jury is still out on Dee. He could turn out to be a Pro Bowler, or a complete bust. We'll see in about 2-3 years.

While the last four games of his rooike campaign was an improvment over the first 12 games, the first 12 games were appallingly bad by any definityion of the word.  My own recollection of the last four games is that while he had some passes defensed (his first all year), there were also several occasions where he was flat out beaten by the receiver and the QB did not manage to deliver the simple TD pass.  Plus it was against some very weak teams.

I think everyone was so deperate to not have another Vernon Gholstion that they latched onto any improvement as if it meant he was playing at an all pro level.  He was not.

The start of his 2nd year was closer to his start of the first year.  In other words it seemed like he had regressed.

While the last four games of his rooike campaign was an improvment over the first 12 games, the first 12 games were appallingly bad by any definityion of the word.  My own recollection of the last four games is that while he had some passes defensed (his first all year), there were also several occasions where he was flat out beaten by the receiver and the QB did not manage to deliver the simple TD pass.  Plus it was against some very weak teams.

I think everyone was so deperate to not have another Vernon Gholstion that they latched onto any improvement as if it meant he was playing at an all pro level.  He was not.

He did a great job against Josh Gordon who was targeted 12 times in that game and one of his INT's in Miami was an incredible play no matter who the QB was.  He looked like a completely different player than the guy who was lost for the majority of the season IMO.

Only played a couple games last season after strong finish to his rookie year.  He was terrible against GB, but very well against San Diego before getting hurt.  He's a young player who has shown the ability to play at a high level.  Dumping players like that isn't a great way to do business IMO.

I thought he started out okay against Green Bay.  They left him out on Jordy Nelson alone in the 2nd half and he got torched.  He may have still been hurt.  That was certainly the party line at the time.  He trotted after Nelson like he was hurt on the long one, but that may have been an excuse.

I guess it's all up to interpretation but I  heard him say there would be no competition because Geno is the starter unless there's an injury. 

If I injure my hand slamming it against the wall after Geno's third pick of the game, does that count?

I hope he lights it up too, but I'm not a fan of 'anointing' mediocre QBs.

I thought he started out okay against Green Bay.  They left him out on Jordy Nelson alone in the 2nd half and he got torched.  He may have still been hurt.  That was certainly the party line at the time.  He trotted after Nelson like he was hurt on the long one, but that may have been an excuse.

Exactly...he was playing fine up until that point and it's not out of the realm of possibility that his ankle started to act up...no way of really knowing though...but he did play really well against SD after that. 

If I injure my hand slamming it against the wall after Geno's third pick of the game, does that count?

I hope he lights it up too, but I'm not a fan of 'anointing' mediocre QBs.

I actually like the idea of him starting and thought he'd be given every advantage in a competition...shocked that they're just giving it to him though.

I actually like the idea of him starting and thought he'd be given every advantage in a competition...shocked that they're just giving it to him though.

Might all be lip service.  They must like Cro or they wouldn't have signed him, but Milliner has been hurt a ton and this may just be them pushing him so he knows he has to stay on the field.  He has been handed jobs since he got here and they may question his preparation.  The Achilles thing maybe a freak incident, but he has had a series of hamstring and leg problems that indicate he needs to do a better job with his body. 

Might all be lip service.  They must like Cro or they wouldn't have signed him, but Milliner has been hurt a ton and this may just be them pushing him so he knows he has to stay on the field.  He has been handed jobs since he got here and they may question his preparation.  The Achilles thing maybe a freak incident, but he has had a series of hamstring and leg problems that indicate he needs to do a better job with his body. 

This.

The guy has talent- does he have the motivation and the body to stay on the field and play at a high level. Bowles and company will find that out for sure.

I think the motivation is there...if he didn't care he'd have mailed it in at the end of his rookie year based on how he was playing but he kept working and got better.

So being named DPOM for a rookie means nothing??   lol   every single scout had him as a top 15 pick and we pick him 9th and its a disgrace?

Come on, you need to try harder.

So being named DPOM for a rookie means nothing??   lol   every single scout had him as a top 15 pick and we pick him 9th and its a disgrace?

My understanding is that many teams did not have him anywhere near the top of their board because of significant concerns about his ability to stay healthy.  Concerns which have proven to be 100% warranted.

There is no adjective to properly describe how appalling bad he was for the first 12 games of his rooking year.

We have been through this topic before. I said Dee is in serious danger of not making the team. I also said I would trade him for a 4th round pick in a heartbeat and a 5th after a few moments of thought.

Many of you scoffed at both of the above notions.

4 games of encouraging play...not world beater stuff like many of you make it out to be... buys you nothing in this league heading into the 3rd year. Except with Rex Ryan.

The start of his 2nd year was closer to his start of the first year.  In other words it seemed like he had regressed.

Those games were not just an improvement, he played excellent, that was #1 corner worthy what he did the final month of the year. And you can't judge his '14 performance, good or bad. He played 3 games, started 2, finishing only 1. He did solid vs the Packers and he had a good game against the Chargers. He's still a prospect, he still needs to learn a lot, gain experience. Patrick Peterson was similar, it took him years until he became one of the better corners. Those freak athletes need time. The only question I have with Dee is his ability to stay healthy. It's not skill related. I think skillwise nothing will hold him back unless he just doesn't care and doesn't study. If he wants to be great and if he stays healthy I think he'll become a Pro Bowl corner. If not he either gets washed away because of injuries or just flat out busts because he doesn't have the drive.

Those games were not just an improvement, he played excellent, that was #1 corner worthy what he did the final month of the year. And you can't judge his '14 performance, good or bad. He played 3 games, started 2, finishing only 1. He did solid vs the Packers and he had a good game against the Chargers. He's still a prospect, he still needs to learn a lot, gain experience. Patrick Peterson was similar, it took him years until he became one of the better corners. Those freak athletes need time. The only question I have with Dee is his ability to stay healthy. It's not skill related. I think skillwise nothing will hold him back unless he just doesn't care and doesn't study. If he wants to be great and if he stays healthy I think he'll become a Pro Bowl corner. If not he either gets washed away because of injuries or just flat out busts because he doesn't have the drive.

I remember plays in those last four games where he was flat out smoked and the QB either missed a wide open receiver or the receiver dropped a gimme pass.  Yeah the stat line looked good for those four weeks but he was not as good as his stats indicated.  While I agree that he did show improvement he was far from a #1 corner IMO.  Very far.

It is kinda tough to get a career going when you come to your first two training camps unhealthy.  I understand the shoulder thing.  I do not get him not being tip top from the first day of camp last season, the later injury notwithstanding.

Archived