NFL.com: Jets Among Most Talented NFL Teams

AFJF

averaging roughly 800 yards per season for the first 4 years then being on the decline since year 3 isn't blue chip my friend, dont care what the excuses is. 

I'd say that's more of an opinion as to what color chip he is...my point was that he's a good player who can be productive and has been productive in the not-so-distant past when healthy and included in the offense.  With the QB situation in Buffalo however, it's unlikely he'll be any good this season.

Being injured and not having a quality QB is more of a fact than an excuse IMO, but if you're that high on the Geno/Vick that's fine, but I just didn't think they were very good.

Cimini wrote a column today....In the next 2-3 years, Maccagnan is going to have to start thinking about replacing the old "core 4" of Mangold, Ferguson, Harris, and Revis.  These are the big earners on the team today, so when they go off the books, it should be no problem to pay Sheldon, Mo, and others who need to be a part of this team for a while.

Blah blah blah.  Don't even try with me.  I'm one of the biggest homers here.  We're not winning a title this year.  This is the year we set ourselves up to acquire the QB we need and THEN win a title.  There's always a reason to tune in even if the team isn't a true contender.  Shoot for 9-7 or so this season, trade for Brees/Rivers/draft a QB round 1.  Or maybe get lucky with Bryce Petty (very unlikely but can't be ruled out).

You really don't think the Jets can win anything this year, even if they don't have a blue-chip QB? With the defense they have, they can't sneak in as a WC and you never know what will happen in the playoffs if they get hot at the right time...

You really don't think the Jets can win anything this year, even if they don't have a blue-chip QB? With the defense they have, they can't sneak in as a WC and you never know what will happen in the playoffs if they get hot at the right time...

I think we can get into the postseason, possibly.  But we don't have a QB on the roster capable of elevating his play, which is an essential characteristic.  You can't win a Super Bowl with a C quarterback, unless that C quarterback can sometimes play like a A- or A sometimes when it matters most.  We don't have that on the roster. 

And again, no team has ever gone from 4-12 to winning the Super Bowl in the modern era of pro football.  It's unheard of. 

I'd say that's more of an opinion as to what color chip he is...my point was that he's a good player who can be productive and has been productive in the not-so-distant past when healthy and included in the offense.  With the QB situation in Buffalo however, it's unlikely he'll be any good this season.

Being injured and not having a quality QB is more of a fact than an excuse IMO, but if you're that high on the Geno/Vick that's fine, but I just didn't think they were very good.

No one is denying that he's a good player, im denying that he's a blue chip player. 

There is a difference, if there wasnt then the distinction would be irrelevant. 

No one is denying that he's a good player, im denying that he's a blue chip player. 

As I said...that's all a matter of opinion.  Blue chip, white chip or any other color chip isn't really of any importance.  What matters is that he's a difficult player to defend when he has a decent QB throwing him the football.  I'm glad that's unlikely to be the case this year.

Listing him as a blue chipper is a real stretch, me thinks. The fact that we spent that much money makes it worse.

I really think he just counted every offseason addition on his lists.  Some of those names make no sense.

As I said...that's all a matter of opinion.  Blue chip, white chip or any other color chip isn't really of any importance.  What matters is that he's a difficult player to defend when he has a decent QB throwing him the football.  I'm glad that's unlikely to be the case this year.

It is of importance given that its the topic of this particular thread. Outside of this thread he's a threat, no doubt, but he's been more of a gadget guy than anything else. Thats not bluechip my friend. He's a good player, just not a bluechip player. And yes, thats my opinion. 

What is the coding system? Like where does blue start? What chip precedes it? What color chip was Vernon Gholston? This info will help me settle the tie between the two of you.

Well one of BUF's 'blue chippers' is taking a four-week unpaid vacation at the start of the season.  So there's that.  Also, if you want to talk about the best DL in the NFL, you'd sort of have to at least include the Rams in the discussion, no?

you can have all the talent in the world, but when Geno Smith is your starting QB you aren't an elite team.  More of a wild card team at best, especially with the Pats* in the same division.

As the article says, even this guy led his team to the Super Bowl.  If he can do it, so can Geno. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Agl8P4EQtE

I think we can get into the postseason, possibly.  But we don't have a QB on the roster capable of elevating his play, which is an essential characteristic.  You can't win a Super Bowl with a C quarterback, unless that C quarterback can sometimes play like a A- or A sometimes when it matters most.  We don't have that on the roster. 

And again, no team has ever gone from 4-12 to winning the Super Bowl in the modern era of pro football.  It's unheard of. 

This is a very good post but I honestly don't believe that any sane poster is really believing that the Jets will be in the SB next year.  I think the vast majority of posters are just looking for a competitive team and a team that has a chance at the post season.

Saw a great quote the other day regarding Tannehill. Essentially it said, "We've been debating how good he can be since 2011." It's the same thing with Percy. At some point, you just have to admit that a guy is what he is.

What? No Mangold?  The guy is Pro Bowl every year. Sometimes more.

4) New York Jets

Blue chips (6): CB Antonio Cromartie, C Nick Mangold, WR Brandon Marshall, CB Darrelle Revis, DT Sheldon Richardson, DE Muhammad Wilkerson.

On the rise: LB Demario Davis.

Mangold's a rock at the pivot, having made six of the last seven Pro Bowls.

He's listed among the team's "blue chips", as he should be. And his probowls are noted.

Saw a great quote the other day regarding Tannehill. Essentially it said, "We've been debating how good he can be since 2011." It's the same thing with Percy. At some point, you just have to admit that a guy is what he is.

I agree with the quote when referring it to a percy harvin & Ryan Fitzpatrick (for us Jets fans lol) but I wouldnt apply that to Ryan Tannehill. Ryan Tannehill is a very good QB, easily a top 15 in this league. Tannehill has progressed every year. He's thrown for more yards than the year prior, his completion %'age has gone up than the year prior, his TD's and QBR as well. He threw less INT's than his two prior years as well as fumbles, his Rating has gone up every year. Tannehill completed 67% of his passes (threw 600 passes), granted, he throws ALOT of short/intermediate passes but that's the way his offense operates given that Tannehill is a below average down field thrower. He's more of a system QB, but he's very good in that system so I have to respect it. Tannehill is averaging 4000 passing yards his last 2 years, yet has only been in the league for 3 years. Tannehill is a much better QB than Percy is a WR. Percy's last 3 years in comparison to his first 3 is horrible. 

Tannehill is also a threat to run the ball, averaging over 5 yards per. Tannehill is a better, non-injury prone Jake Locker type, minus the deep ball. When its all said and done 2012 will end up being a special year for QB's. It has a little bit of everything. You'll have a few HOF'ers, a few Ring of Honors, a "Cant miss" 1st overall QB (Luck), a "Diamond in the Rough" QB (Tannehill), an absolute sleeper who could end up having the most successful career of them all (Wilson), your "Flashers" (Nick Foles, Brock Osweiler), your typical bust that a team sold the entire farm for (RG3) and lastly your "overhyped career back up" by fans of teams looking for a franchise QB (Kirk Cousins).  

This is a very good post but I honestly don't believe that any sane poster is really believing that the Jets will be in the SB next year.  I think the vast majority of posters are just looking for a competitive team and a team that has a chance at the post season.

We have sane posters here???  News to me.  ;)

Archived