OTA Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

If thats the case then you have 31 other teams to choose from. 4 years of Sanchez has nothing to do with the patience needed for our current situation. Relax, it's May. Come back in August when its actually preseason.

It's OTA's and a guy who was arguably the worst QB in the league the past 2 seasons is now going up against one of the best defensive lines in the league that just added possibly the best talent in the draft along with a revamped/reunited secondary that has a history of shutting down top QB's and he's working with a new offensive scheme. If you didnt expect something like this then thats on you. We went into the season with "Fitzpatrick" being the competition. This is what we get.

If you cant get through the month of May then you might as well pick a new team.

You could've written this post in any offseason since 2009. It's the same sh*t, different year. And I want Geno to perform ..why wouldn't I? But if he doesn't show anything this offseason, it's Fitzpatrick's team

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WKBW) - The Buffalo Bills got on to the field for the second straight day, and for the first time of 2015, the practice was made available to the media. The Bills kept the curtains drawn during the initial veteran minicamp and the first day of Organized Team Activities, but Wednesday was the first chance to see a Rex Ryan-led practice.

With no specification as to who will be the quarterback for the 2015 season, all eyes were on Matt Cassel, Tyrod Taylor, and EJ Manuel on the outdoor field of the ADPRO Sports Training Center.

What do you need to know from the day of work? Here are some observations from the practice:

1) Cassel wins the day

- Don't let the header of this observation mislead you -- the quarterback play on Wednesday was particularly uninspiring. Granted, it is only the second day of OTAs, and it's still May, so some rust needs to be shaken loose. However, if a winner had to be crowned based on the day of work, the honors would go to the veteran Matt Cassel. It wasn't a banner day by any means, and most the positivity came from the 7-on-7 work. However, Cassel gave his receivers a bit more of a chance than both Manuel and Taylor. Manuel was up and down, and head coach Rex Ryan said as much after the practice. Taylor was putting a bit too much loft on to his throws, and that put his receivers at a disadvantage. Both Manuel and Taylor were picked off at separate times in the practice, though Manuel's was more a product of the receiver falling down on the play. The way the practice was set up, Taylor and Manuel took the reps with the first-team offense, while Matt Cassel and Jeff Tuel worked with the second team. Taylor will once again work with the ones on Friday, and Manuel will be with the twos.

2) Graham trying safety on for size

- If you listened to the 1-on-1 interview with head coach Rex Ryan on the Bills Beat Podcast, you would have known about this before today, but in case you didn't, usual cornerback Corey Graham is playing a new position. Graham worked exclusively with the safeties on Wednesday, a switch from his role with the Bills in 2014. The Bills like his ability to trust his instincts, which lends itself quite well to that position. As cornerbacks get older and a bit slower, there is a natural transition for some to the safety spot. The Bills aren't ruling out Graham playing cornerback by any means, but they want him to get as much time at safety as they can. Graham could challenge Duke Williams for a starting job there, or he could even be the nickel corner for Rex Ryan's defense.

3) First-team offensive line for the day

- The Bills are making no mistake about it: all five positions of the offensive line are up for grabs. So for the first time that they were available to be seen by the media, the offensive line had the following look, from left to right: Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito, Eric Wood, John Miller, and Cyrus Kouandjio. Now, Seantrel Henderson did mix in at right tackle at times during the team work, but Kouandjio got the majority of reps. This will continue to change as the spring and summer continues, because the Bills are attempting to find the best five players to make up the offensive line. The two most interesting names were Miller, the rookie, and Kouandjio, the former second-round pick. With Chris Williams nowhere to be found, Miller has a big opportunity to grab a hold of a starting position. However, as we saw early on last year during OTAs with Cyrus Kounadjio, getting first-team reps early on isn't necessarily a predictor of the future.

4) Darby ups and downs

- Just as it was during rookie minicamp, second-round pick Ronald Darby was getting chirped at all day long by his positional coach, Donnie Henderson. At this point, Darby is raw and the Bills don't need him to be an immediate contributor, which gives Henderson the keys to work with him as he sees fit. The one thing the coach was harping on during rookie minicamp focused on him getting his head around to find the ball and make a play, rather than face-guarding like he grew accustomed to at Florida State. Darby showed a bit of progress, getting his head around and rising up to make a very impressive interception on a Tyrod Taylor deep ball in the end zone. Unfortunately, he followed that up in 7-on-7s with a few blown assignments, which kept the chirping from Henderson coming. It's early, but he's a work in progress that the Bills will try to perfect before he ever sees the light of day in the lineup.

5) No McCoy, trio of wideouts suffer injuries

- The surprising absence of the day was starting running back LeSean McCoy, who is dealing with a minor neck ailment. The Bills didn't want to force the issue and only had him work with the trainers along the side. After having an offseason procedure, safety Aaron Williams and cornerback Stephon Gilmore did not participate in the day of work. Wide receiver Sammy Watkins was able to participate on a limited basis, only getting in the mix during individual drills. He was taking 'mental reps,' getting right near the huddle to see and hear all the calls of the first-team offense. Receivers Marcus Thigpen, Dez Lewis, and Tobais Palmer all had minor injuries that prevented them from finishing practice.

Oh please,  Joe Buscaglia from WKBW.  He needs to stick with news reporting because he knows NOTHING about sports.  If you want some credible news,  stick with Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News.  Yes,  we do have injured players but it's only May.  

Oh please, Joe Buscaglia from WKBW. He needs to stick with news reporting because he knows NOTHING about sports. If you want some credible news, stick with Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. Yes, we do have injured players but it's only May.

You asked him to back up what he said, then manufacture dogsh*t reasons that you know better anyway.

Garbage discourse habits are garbage.

He is, jeanie. They're all tweeting about it now. And supposedly your OTA practice was a disaster today, jeanie. Your offensive line is awful, and your five-man QB competition embarrassed themselves today, jeanie. The wheels are falling off already, Jeanie.

its going to be downright Kotitian by November, maybe earlier…and I'm going to love every minute of it.

He is, jeanie. They're all tweeting about it now. And supposedly your OTA practice was a disaster today, jeanie. Your offensive line is awful, and your five-man QB competition embarrassed themselves today, jeanie. The wheels are falling off already, Jeanie.

We're going to the playoffs this year.  My opinion.

I just read a comment from Colon that's there's more accountability under Bowles than Rex.  This doesn't look too good

Yes but the majority showed up.  When these guys don't they fall behind and can also drag the team behind.

But what does your response have to do with your previous accountability comment ?

But what does your response have to do with your previous accountability comment ?

First,  I was referring to Colon talking about Jets players having more accountability under Bowles than the Jets had with Rex.   My second comment came when a poster said that the training was voluntary.  My response:  It is voluntary but if the players don't show,  they fall behind and also put the team behind.  The gist was that Colon was talking about the team having more accountability.  Then,  there was mention some of your players didn't show.  Some of the Bills didnt show either and in one case,  it didn't go over very well with Greg Roman or Rex.

First,  I was referring to Colon talking about Jets players having more accountability under Bowles than the Jets had with Rex.   My second comment came when a poster said that the training was voluntary.  My response:  It is voluntary but if the players don't show,  they fall behind and also put the team behind.  The gist was that Colon was talking about the team having more accountability.  Then,  there was mention some of your players didn't show.  Some of the Bills didnt show either and in one case,  it didn't go over very well with Greg Roman or Rex.

What's worse, there's the mysticism of learning Rex's exotic and comprehensive defensive blitzes which only puts absent players further behind in getting his system. This is where I'm sure he's pissed on losing out on Harris as a FA. Lol.

Let me try again.

What does your original comment of "just read a comment from Colon that's there's more accountability under Bowles than Rex" has to do with one player not showing up for voluntary stuff.

Let me try again.

What does your original comment of "just read a comment from Colon that's there's more accountability under Bowles than Rex" has to do with one player not showing up for voluntary stuff.

Okay,  I  will try again. It wasn't just one player.  All of these players have missed voluntary training:   Sheldon Richardson, Muhammed Wilkerson, Chris Ivory, Jeremy Kerley and Dee Millner.  The Jets as well as the Bills have new coaches, new players and new playbooks.  If players are not showing up for practice,  they are falling behind and ultimately causing  their  team to fall behind.   Yes, these are voluntary practices but there's good reason why 98% of team players show up.  I personally think it looks bad when they don't show.  I also believe (based upon what I've read) that the  coaches  agree with me.  I just thought it was strange that Colon would talk about accountability when so many players didn't make the effort to show up for practice even though it is voluntary.  If someone was paying me multi million dollars a year to do a job,  you can bet I'd be there for anything I could to get better in my position.      We actually have 2 no shows. The balance of our players,  who didn't play because of injuries, were there working out.  

At this stage, all I care about is not having season ending injuries.  It's a new offense, and a new defense, so don't expect much harmony right now.  As far as Geno goes, he should get a good shot, and I'm not evaluating him until we get to the preseason games, because these practices are just times when most of the team is trying to gel, and get comfortable with each other.   

-Geno struggling definitely will cause a ruckus with the media until the next time they get access.  I don't think any QB did well today, and I would love to know what types of plays they were trying to run today.  

-Evans struggling is disappointing.  I thought he would be a dark horse sleeper this year, and it looks like he's going backwards.  

-  The media is really pushing the anti-Rex agenda to sell some papers.  This stuff usually happens when someone is fired, because whatever philosophy they were trying, wasn't working.  Rex was partially fired because he couldn't hold people accountable, so they went a different way.  And then the media and fans are shocked when the players admit to this?  Are you surprised by any of the information?  

Voluntary means they have the option to not attend practice without catching heat from the media/fans to get their asses to camp. There are still too many fans and beat writers that don't grasp it. If a player decides not to show up for a training session it's up to him, he doesn't owe anybody an explanation. And it doesn't put the team or that player behind, that's just not true. It might even help the team if you can get the backup or other young players snaps with the first team so you can evaluate them better and see if they can handle a bigger role during the season. We all know Sheldon will be in shape, he'll play at the highest level possible. Him not showing up to a meaningless OTA session won't change that. If this was Geno Smith, David Harris, Pryor or Gilchrist, Revis, it'd be a different story. You want those guys out there, guys that call the plays, that have to study the playbook like crazy, guys that have to understand routes, schemes, timing, all that. They have to show up. That's why Eric Weddle missing for the Chargers would bother me as a Chargers fan or Coach. He's the leader who's supposed to run that defense, that everybody looks up to, that everybody turns to after each snap and here he is not showing up. That'd bother me. The Richardson thing is silly. It didn't bother anybody until those kids browsing twitter all day got offended by his "worry about your own life please" response.

Voluntary means they have the option to not attend practice without catching heat from the media/fans to get their asses to camp. There are still too many fans and beat writers that don't grasp it. If a player decides not to show up for a training session it's up to him, he doesn't owe anybody an explanation. And it doesn't put the team or that player behind, that's just not true. It might even help the team if you can get the backup or other young players snaps with the first team so you can evaluate them better and see if they can handle a bigger role during the season. We all know Sheldon will be in shape, he'll play at the highest level possible. Him not showing up to a meaningless OTA session won't change that. If this was Geno Smith, David Harris, Pryor or Gilchrist, Revis, it'd be a different story. You want those guys out there, guys that call the plays, that have to study the playbook like crazy, guys that have to understand routes, schemes, timing, all that. They have to show up. That's why Eric Weddle missing for the Chargers would bother me as a Chargers fan or Coach. He's the leader who's supposed to run that defense, that everybody looks up to, that everybody turns to after each snap and here he is not showing up. That'd bother me. The Richardson thing is silly. It didn't bother anybody until those kids browsing twitter all day got offended by his "worry about your own life please" response.

I understand.  I also know that Rex is really ticked off about Brown and Chris Williams being no shows.  I think it's mainly because there is so much to learn with the new playbooks, etc.    I may be wrong but it seems to follow that there must be some underlying reason why nearly the entire team shows up.  It tells me that it just doesn't look good if the player elects to blow off practice even though it is voluntary.

I understand.  I also know that Rex is really ticked off about Brown and Chris Williams being no shows.  I think it's mainly because there is so much to learn with the new playbooks, etc.    I may be wrong but it seems to follow that there must be some underlying reason why nearly the entire team shows up.  It tells me that it just doesn't look good if the player elects to blow off practice even though it is voluntary.

Rex is immature, he takes everything personal, he gets emotionally too caught up in everything. He probably thinks somebody not showing up means they don't respect him, that's usually how he thinks.

The issue with these "voluntary" workouts are just that they're not voluntary at all. If you don't show up you have to prepare for "fans" and beat writers to tear you up in the media. If you don't want to risk that you show up. So you really have no choice. Now if you're a young pro bowl type player who speaks his mind (DeSean Jackson type guys, Sheldon is one of them) or just a proven veteran (Ray Lewis, Mario Williams, Kris Jenkins type guys) you could force the issue and risk getting heat. I just listened to Chris Canty from the Ravens, he said in an interview he doesn't even know when the Ravens OTA's begin, he really doesn't care and he won't show up. They just signed him. He feels he doesn't need that. I don't see what's the problem with this attitude, it's not training camp. These OTA's are walk through sessions, they're a waste of time unless you play a specific position (QB, C) or you just put together a new D-Backfield and you have to get on the same page. But why would a Sheldon Richardson show up? What is he supposed to do there that would help him or the team? Nothing, it's a waste of time. Marcell Dareus doesn't need the OTA's, Wilkerson doesn't. McCoy doesn't. If they want to stay home it's up to them, leave them alone. We don't need this garbage from some delusional fans out there a la "I'm blue collar! I pay my hard earned money for a ticket! Those rich guys have to do exactly what I order them to do! If I call him out he has to put up with it because I own him!". I wish more players would have the courage to stay home for these OTA workouts so that they really become voluntary again. Outside of those few exceptions I just mentioned.

Buffalo Bills home field advantage!!!! Another prediction.

I agree 100% they will have home field advantage for 8 games during the regular season. Then they will really have home field advantage as they watch the Jets and Dolphins play in the playoffs from their television sets inside their homes.

Looks like Smith's guarantees of starting didn't last through day 1 of OTAs. Didn't even have either 2 starting end in there to make him even less comfortable.

Anyone know why Amaro's practicing with the camp fodder?

He's burying himself in the depth chart to hide from Rex.

Rex is immature, he takes everything personal, he gets emotionally too caught up in everything. He probably thinks somebody not showing up means they don't respect him, that's usually how he thinks.

The issue with these "voluntary" workouts are just that they're not voluntary at all. If you don't show up you have to prepare for "fans" and beat writers to tear you up in the media. If you don't want to risk that you show up. So you really have no choice. Now if you're a young pro bowl type player who speaks his mind (DeSean Jackson type guys, Sheldon is one of them) or just a proven veteran (Ray Lewis, Mario Williams, Kris Jenkins type guys) you could force the issue and risk getting heat. I just listened to Chris Canty from the Ravens, he said in an interview he doesn't even know when the Ravens OTA's begin, he really doesn't care and he won't show up. They just signed him. He feels he doesn't need that. I don't see what's the problem with this attitude, it's not training camp. These OTA's are walk through sessions, they're a waste of time unless you play a specific position (QB, C) or you just put together a new D-Backfield and you have to get on the same page. But why would a Sheldon Richardson show up? What is he supposed to do there that would help him or the team? Nothing, it's a waste of time. Marcell Dareus doesn't need the OTA's, Wilkerson doesn't. McCoy doesn't. If they want to stay home it's up to them, leave them alone. We don't need this garbage from some delusional fans out there a la "I'm blue collar! I pay my hard earned money for a ticket! Those rich guys have to do exactly what I order them to do! If I call him out he has to put up with it because I own him!". I wish more players would have the courage to stay home for these OTA workouts so that they really become voluntary again. Outside of those few exceptions I just mentioned.

I totally agree with you about the fans input and also the media.  I haven’t heard much noise from the Buffalo Mafia Fans about the no shows.  Our fans are really psyched.  If anyone makes a negative comment,  there are several posters jumping all over them.  The media is simply digging up dirt during the offseason as they don’t have much to write about.   I read a lot of articles but seem to like Vic Carucci (Buffalo News) the best.  He’s a straight shooter.

Rex Ryan,  Greg Roman and Dennis Thurman have all expressed some discontent about some of the no-shows for voluntary practice.  In a sense,  I can see their point.  The team is practicing in 2 groups and they need the bodies there.  In addition,  there’s a new playbook and they want to see how much the players have learned through studying the guide.  I’m sure they would also like some of the new guys to meet everyone and bond before actually training starts.   There’s a lot of changes on our team.  I’m cautiously optimistic about our season.  I think we will make the playoffs.  

I agree 100% they will have home field advantage for 8 games during the regular season. Then they will really have home field advantage as they watch the Jets and Dolphins play in the playoffs from their television sets inside their homes

Well,  I was over at the phins forum and even their fans think that  we have an advantage.  Personally,  I think the Dolphins will finish 4th in the AFC East this year.  

I just read a comment from Colon that's there's more accountability under Bowles than Rex. This doesn't look too good

Okay,  I  will try again. It wasn't just one player.  All of these players have missed voluntary training:   Sheldon Richardson, Muhammed Wilkerson, Chris Ivory, Jeremy Kerley and Dee Millner.  The Jets as well as the Bills have new coaches, new players and new playbooks.

Again the point is, players not showing up for CBA mandated voluntary workouts does not reflect amount of accountability any coach is demanding from his team. Period.

I totally agree with you about the fans input and also the media.  I haven’t heard much noise from the Buffalo Mafia Fans about the no shows.  Our fans are really psyched.  If anyone makes a negative comment,  there are several posters jumping all over them.  The media is simply digging up dirt during the offseason as they don’t have much to write about.   I read a lot of articles but seem to like Vic Carucci (Buffalo News) the best.  He’s a straight shooter.

Rex Ryan,  Greg Roman and Dennis Thurman have all expressed some discontent about some of the no-shows for voluntary practice.  In a sense,  I can see their point.  The team is practicing in 2 groups and they need the bodies there.  In addition,  there’s a new playbook and they want to see how much the players have learned through studying the guide.  I’m sure they would also like some of the new guys to meet everyone and bond before actually training starts.   There’s a lot of changes on our team.  I’m cautiously optimistic about our season.  I think we will make the playoffs.  

I think the division is wide open. It's up to one of the 4 teams to step up and claim it. Bills/Jets need consistency from their QB's and they're playoff locks.

I think the division is wide open. It's up to one of the 4 teams to step up and claim it. Bills/Jets need consistency from their QB's and they're playoff locks.

You're right.   Just my opinion,  I think Tyrod Taylor will be our guy this year.  Been hearing some good reports about him.  I also understand that Geno has come a long way (upwards).  They may surprise us.  

Again the point is, players not showing up for CBA mandated voluntary workouts does not reflect amount of accountability any coach is demanding from his team. Period.

You're right, the written word is that it's not mandatory but in reality,  I think it is.  This is why coaches like Bowles and Rex seem frustrated.    

Archived