Todd Bowles: Jets will have QB competition but job Smith's 'to lose'

flgreen

sarcasm post?

Literally NOTHING points to Fitz starting especially the fact Gailey is designing the offense AROUND him. 

except knowing the playbook if Geno shats the bed in preseason.. Hey, I hope Geno looks great in preseason,,,,butttttttttt

Hey if Gailey can 'right Geno's ship' he is better than Helen Keller's teacher....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol perhaps.

He's succumbing to public pressure either way. Bowles may have continued to say nothing (assent by silence) as he had for the prior week, if not for such an immediate crappola showing by Smith.

But to your point, if Smith had a great day and Fitzpatrick a terrible one, what are the odds that Bowles says anything to correct/clarify his OC's statements? Probably zero.

Bending to public pressure = mitigating an unnecessary distraction by placating idiots. 

I am fine with it.  To my mind, Fitz is a guy they do not have to worry about.  He has the system down already.  And you are right, he can not make all the throws.  He was never a great thrower of the ball.  But he has the qualities you want in a backup.  Experience and knowledge.  I wish he protected it better.  So they will give Geno another shot, because Geno can move and he can fire it.  It is worth a try.  In fact, it makes infinitely more sense than starting out with a circle-the-wagons approach.  Hell, even the old Baltimore Colts let Tom Matte throw it some.  You have to take some risks.

I know Fitz doesn't have Geno's arm strength. Maybe more to the point isn't just that he can't make all the throws, but that he can't make all the throws Gailey wants him to be able to make. Technically Geno can't make all the throws either (just talking about arm strength, not accuracy or general quarterbacking). There are throws that the Cutlers or Flaccos or Staffords of the league can make that Geno can't. But he can make enough of them that his arm strength isn't a factor. 

If Gailey can't get much more out of him then it's safe to say experience or coaching isn't the problem (duh). Experience and better offensive coaching can only help. But if he can't grasp things upstairs, or can't get out of his own way with bad innate instincts, then none of it matters and all we can hope for is a hot streak and far better than expected protection.

If Fitz is the starter on opening day, 8-8 is best this team will do. Only chance for playoffs is if Gailey can straighten out Geno's mental mistakes. Geno has not had a legit OC so there is hope

No one here can tell if Geno is missing his progressions unless they are privy to coaches tape and playcalls. TV gives you very little. Sure Geno has had too many brainfarts, but no one here can say which WR or RB he is missing. The answer could be that he just suks and cant read the defensive clues. Stick to Masterpiece theater.

Gailey is a legit OC so this is Geno's last stand. 

Archived