Willie Colon compares Bowles to (loser) Rex Ryan

T0mShane

Colon says Jets accepted mediocrity last year, but not anymore

Riich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Veteran guard Willie Colon, who always has a finger on the pulse of the New York Jets' locker room, said Wednesday he can feel a greater sense of urgency under new coach Todd Bowles as compared to Rex Ryan. Under Ryan last season, there wasn't much of a pulse at all, Colon said.

"Last year, getting by and being mediocre was kind of OK at times," Colon told ESPN.com. "This year, we feel the competition level is high. You look around and you see legitimate ballplayers, working. It raises the competition level. You kind of feel like if you don't fit the mold of what Bowles wants, it'll be hard for you to survive."

This sort of thing happens when teams change coaches. The Jets enjoyed early success under Ryan, who led them to the AFC Championship Game in 2009 and 2010, but things became stale last season and everything fell apart. Player tardiness was an issue, and it became an offseason headline when, in an April radio interview, tight end Jace Amaro said "we had an issue with that last year. Guys just weren't accountable last year as much as they could be."

Ryan took umbrage, firing back at Amaro in a couple of interviews. Colon backed Amaro then, and he did it again Wednesday when speaking to a group of reporters.

Colon started off by saying he has "the utmost respect for Rex," but he added: "We had our issues last year. If you're asking us to be accountable, part of being accountable is being truthful -- and that was one of our issues."

He didn't name names, but there were well-documented instances of lateness and missed meetings (see: Calvin Pryor and Geno Smith). Those players are back, but some high-profile, set-in-their-ways veterans are gone -- namely Michael Vick, Chris Johnson and Percy Harvin. Those players had carte blanche under Ryan.

Colon said the overall attitude bothered him at times.

"When you go 4-12 and you fight your tail off and you know you're doing your best and it comes off as guys that maybe don't seem as passionate as you do about the game ... sometimes it does bother you," he said. "But Coach Bowles is the new sheriff in town. I believe in him and I believe in the direction he's going. I feel like we won't have those issues."

Colon said developing chemistry will be vital to the success of the team. "Chemistry" happens to be one of Bowles' buzzwords.

"Ultimately, we're here to win," Colon said. "It's not a day care. Everyone shouldn't be sent to the principal's office. You're paid to go to work and be the best you can be -- and be the best you can be off the field, too. That's what Coach Bowles wants from us and that's what we should want from each other."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All Colon is doing, is validating all the Rex critics who knew Rex was a glorified DCoordinator in over his head. These statements only help expose the ineptitude of Rex defenders as being clueless homers who prefer to have "one of the regular guys" as HC instead of a competent disciplined leader of men; which REX, himself, stated that he is NOT in 2010 Hard Knocks "Get a Damn Snack" speech.

Everyone can love Bowels all they want but I'll wait to see what's going on 3 years from now.

U could be dead in 3 years

Who has 3 years to wait for something? 

Do you have a hard time with commitment?

How do you make decisions in the morning?

Do you work in geology?

Do you build those intricate sailboats in those glass bottles?

Do you read the trilogies before you go to the movie?

Everyone can love Bowels all they want but I'll wait to see what's going on 3 years from now.

As you should. It is JUST SO OBVIOUS and refreshing, as fans, to see the clear difference in leadership styles (both GM & HC) and how that difference is already clear to the players & spurned media. It's back to the Parcellian way of insulating yourself to prepare and not PANDER to beat writers and tabloid back pages.

This ain't your circus media punching bag anymore, the new regime has paid it's dues over 15+ years climbing the ladder and they are out to prove themselves by THEIR, and not the pundits', standards. I'm on board.

U could be dead in 3 years

Who has 3 years to wait for something? 

Do you have a hard time with commitment?

How do you make decisions in the morning?

Do you work in geology?

Do you build those intricate sailboats in those glass bottles?

Do you read the trilogies before you go to the movie?

I've met Mick. I'm kind of surprised he's still around, actually.

Face it, and not making excuses for him, Rex knew it was the last rodeo at the beginning of the season. All he had to do was see the make up of the team his GM put together for him. Yet, as much as I like Rex he should have went out kicking and screaming. Also, it great to have a good relationship with your players, yet when they begin disrespecting you and taking advantage it's time to kick some butt. I think Rex may have gotten "too" close to some of these guys and it distorted his own responsibilities. An sadly this foundation would have been tough to change had he remained another year or more.

Will be interesting to see if he repeats the same mistakes in Buffalo or learns from his experience with the Jets.

One thing is certain, even for the fans like me who liked Rex, it was time for a change and as of now, it looks as if we found a diamond in the rough in coach Bowles. Really looking forward to the season to see how it all plays out.

As you should. It is JUST SO OBVIOUS and refreshing, as fans, to see the clear difference in leadership styles (both GM & HC) and how that difference is already clear to the players & spurned media. It's back to the Parcellian way of insulating yourself to prepare and not PANDER to beat writers and tabloid back pages.

This ain't your circus media punching bag anymore, the new regime has paid it's dues over 15+ years climbing the ladder and they are out to prove themselves by THEIR, and not the pundits', standards. I'm on board.

I remember when the fans were all excited that we got rid of Mangini's choir boy outlook to Rex's mental cases. Same sh*t different year.

Archived