Willie Colon compares Bowles to (loser) Rex Ryan

T0mShane

As you should. It is JUST SO OBVIOUS and refreshing, as fans, to see the clear difference in leadership styles (both GM & HC) and how that difference is already clear to the players & spurned media. It's back to the Parcellian way of insulating yourself to prepare and not PANDER to beat writers and tabloid back pages.

This ain't your circus media punching bag anymore, the new regime has paid it's dues over 15+ years climbing the ladder and they are out to prove themselves by THEIR, and not the pundits', standards. I'm on board.

People don't get it even if Bowles FAILS this is the correct approach. You don't players who are underperforming set their own rules. This goes for Sanchez, Geno or anyone else getting paid as a professional.

And the folks who say well the great Parcells had seperate rules for someone like LT are delusional. The day that someone like Geno or the other guys play anything like LT in his prime will be on a madden game. The example proves the rule. You make exceptions for guys like that you do. Geno isn't that guy and even he would say he isn't that guy.

So proper preparation is always important. Always. And to argue otherwise is just plain silly.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when the fans were all excited that we got rid of Mangini's choir boy outlook to Rex's mental cases. Same sh*t different year.

The criticism of Mangini by fans was not his treatment/perception by players, it was his unimaginative/1880s conservative offense approach that irked people. Mangini had this team on the right trajectory, woody panicked & thought he had upgraded. Early signs of this regime are promising, you're entitled to your skeptical ways, history stands by you.

If I were to be THAT pessimistic/skeptical so early on, then why bother even being a fan? To each his own, I guess.

<slats changes above post to read "Bowles dislikes cinema, revealing alarming antisocial tendencies that were not prevalent in team's head coach during last six years">

But truth be told, I really like Rex Ryan.

FILTHY SLANDER!

He can kiss ass all he wants, but we will be much better off if he ends up benched or cut.

He is good depth, a good 3rd guard to have.  I don't want him cut, he can start in a pinch, and hopefully help the younger guys, it's not like he's making 4 million a year.

He is good depth, a good 3rd guard to have.  I don't want him cut, he can start in a pinch, and hopefully help the younger guys, it's not like he's making 4 million a year.

TotalHatefulFugu.gif

While I agree hopefully it doesn't get to that point of Colon actually getting playing time this season. He's to Guards what Brunell used to be to QB's at the end of the career.

Face it, and not making excuses for him, Rex knew it was the last rodeo at the beginning of the season. All he had to do was see the make up of the team his GM put together for him. Yet, as much as I like Rex he should have went out kicking and screaming. Also, it great to have a good relationship with your players, yet when they begin disrespecting you and taking advantage it's time to kick some butt. I think Rex may have gotten "too" close to some of these guys and it distorted his own responsibilities. An sadly this foundation would have been tough to change had he remained another year or more.

Will be interesting to see if he repeats the same mistakes in Buffalo or learns from his experience with the Jets.

One thing is certain, even for the fans like me who liked Rex, it was time for a change and as of now, it looks as if we found a diamond in the rough in coach Bowles. Really looking forward to the season to see how it all plays out.

Fitflo: I am a Buffalo Bills Fan and yours' is the first post about Rex that I find reasonable and logical.   I joined this group back in January because I wanted to see what posters had to say about Rex.  I am also interested in how the Jets and other AFC East Teams are building this offseason. And, I joined other AFC East forums.  Maybe Rex made some bad decisions as NY Jets coach but I do believe that there were things out of his control.  It was a combination of all these issues that  led to the unfavorable results the Jets had over the past few years.  Rex admitted he made mistakes and that he has already learned from his mistakes.  I do believe him.  I think both the Bills and Jets have benefitted from the change Rex has made.  Now,  the Jets and Bills need to team together to win 4 games against the Patriots. The last team I want to see in the Championship is the Patriots.  

Everyone can love Bowels all they want but I'll wait to see what's going on 3 years from now.

I am confused. Don't we give our loser coaches at least six years before we begin to hold them accountable for their record?

<slats changes above post to read "Bowles dislikes cinema, revealing alarming antisocial tendencies that were not prevalent in team's head coach during last six years">

But truth be told, I really like Rex Ryan. 

I knew it all along.

Bowles has 5 things in his favor.

#1- he's got talent to work with. Face it, no coach in this league can have continued success without good players. Like Rex in 2009 & 2010, Bowles has Revis to shut down half the field. Plus he might have the best Dline in the league.

Now he just needs to find a QB.

#2- his GM has created competition at damn near every position. Even Big Mo has comp now that Leonard Williams was drafted.

Williams even had a better college career at a school with tougher opposition. In the NFL you don't become the #1 guy on most teams draft boards without skills.

#3- he's already had success as a DC in Zona, I knew nothing about him really but the few games I watched I was really impressed with the Cards defense.

#4- he's very well respected by players & other coaches in this league & he played the game. He seems approachable but makes it clear as a bell who's the boss, what is expected, and what will not be tolerated. There's no grey area with this guy.

#5- he's made it very clear going into camp that YOU CAN LOSE YOUR JOB!

This is going to be a very spirited & competitive camp. Guys like Pryor better tighten their chin straps & bring it!

Fitflo: I am a Buffalo Bills Fan and yours' is the first post about Rex that I find reasonable and logical. I joined this group back in January because I wanted to see what posters had to say about Rex. I am also interested in how the Jets and other AFC East Teams are building this offseason. And, I joined other AFC East forums. Maybe Rex made some bad decisions as NY Jets coach but I do believe that there were things out of his control. It was a combination of all these issues that led to the unfavorable results the Jets had over the past few years. Rex admitted he made mistakes and that he has already learned from his mistakes. I do believe him. I think both the Bills and Jets have benefitted from the change Rex has made. Now, the Jets and Bills need to team together to win 4 games against the Patriots. The last team I want to see in the Championship is the Patriots.

Rex is like any other coach he needs a qb. Bowles may be able to make the playoffs next year with Geno because he has a better roster but ultimately the jets will upgrade once a good qb becomes available in '16 or '17.

Rex is like any other coach he needs a qb. Bowles may be able to make the playoffs next year with Geno because he has a better roster but ultimately the jets will upgrade once a good qb becomes available in '16 or '17.

You're right about the Bills needing a QB.  I think we have a good enough OL now to work with what we have in the QB position.  Personally,  I think Tyrod Taylor will be our starting QB.  I'd love to see EJ make it but I have my doubts.  

He is the oldest player on the offensive line.  Why wouldn't you want your 3rd guard to be somebody that might be around in a few years?  I don't really hate him, my comment was just pointing out that guys always say nice things about the new coach.  The guys he is competing with are Dozier-24, Harrison-23, Aboushi-23, Winters-23.  Hell, Brewer is 27 and Carpenter 26.  Maybe if they think he can back up at multiple spots, but Ijalana has experience at G and is only 25.  I won't be all broken up if he makes the team, but I am not looking for placeholder backups.

He is the oldest player on the offensive line.  Why wouldn't you want your 3rd guard to be somebody that might be around in a few years?  I don't really hate him, my comment was just pointing out that guys always say nice things about the new coach.  The guys he is competing with are Dozier-24, Harrison-23, Aboushi-23, Winters-23.  Hell, Brewer is 27 and Carpenter 26.  Maybe if they think he can back up at multiple spots, but Ijalana has experience at G and is only 25.  I won't be all broken up if he makes the team, but I am not looking for placeholder backups.

Well, if we had a settled position at guard, I'd want all the youth you can get.  If your starters are all young, I think it pays to have an older guy around.

Like you, I won't be upset either way.  Shoot, if I'm upset with the Jets backup guard selection, I have other issues  :)

It may be unrelated, but it's pretty interesting what was going on with the 2 players that went public to criticize Rex on the one day the media was allowed to attend.

Colen was working with the second string, while Abushi was taking 1st team snaps over him.

Amaro wasn't even working with the 2nd string, he was on the 2nd field working with the rookies, and scrubs.

Like I said, might be unrelated, or maybe Bowles is sending a message.  If Richardson winds up in the rookie dorm when camp starts we'll see if Bowles likes these kind of mind games 

It may be unrelated, but it's pretty interesting what was going on with the 2 players that went public to criticize Rex on the one day the media was allowed to attend.

Colen was working with the second string, while Abushi was taking 1st team snaps over him.

Amaro wasn't even working with the 2nd string, he was on the 2nd field working with the rookies, and scrubs.

Like I said, might be unrelated, or maybe Bowles is sending a message.  If Richardson winds up in the rookie dorm when camp starts we'll see if Bowles likes these kind of mind games 

Sheldon has shown up for some OTA's just not every one.. Until a player misses a mandatory OTA it's no big deal.. Did any players miss voluntary OTA's under Rex?? If they did I don't even remember hearing about it.. I doubt Bowles is the type to play dumb Mangini games..LOL

You're right about the Bills needing a QB. I think we have a good enough OL now to work with what we have in the QB position. Personally, I think Tyrod Taylor will be our starting QB. I'd love to see EJ make it but I have my doubts.

EJ Manuel will eventually get the job. Cassell stinks

Rex is going to have a hard time when the Jets play the Bills. He has to coach his team and by the time game day rolls around, he will have to teach like 14 Jets a lesson. I hope he isn't calling the plays, that is a lot of responsibility for one day.

Sheldon has shown up for some OTA's just not every one.. Until a player misses a mandatory OTA it's no big deal.. Did any players miss voluntary OTA's under Rex?? If they did I don't even remember hearing about it.. I doubt Bowles is the type to play dumb Mangini games..LOL

We actually don't know who Bowles is yet.  He comes across as a stoic, no nonsense kind of guy.  Bowles referred to Richardson's attendance at the OTA's as sporadic.  When talking about other players who weren't there, he said they had personal things to attend to.  I'm assuming here they had contacted him, and told him why they couldn't be there.  When asked about Richardson, he said he didn't know where he was, and hadn't spoken to him.  He quickly added that he wasn't required to be there .  He has to say that, or the NFLPA will start making noise.

Coaches want, and expect the players to be at "voluntary"  OTA's.  They at the very least expect a player to tell them why they can't be there.  They are installing a new D.  HC's want the players to be there.  Your right that alone really isn't a cause for concern.  Richardson also has his ill-advised "Pig's" comment behind him.   Under Rex players could say what ever they wanted to the media.  I have a feeling those days are done.

Like I said I don't know who Bowles is yet.  Going to be interesting to see how he deals with a star player if Richardson continues the free spirit approach.

Archived