Idzik found a new job

DaBallhawk

I think Idzik was much better than people give him credit for, we did draft Richardson with Idzik here and I still have faith that our rookies from last year are going to look pretty good this year. No one can deny that he fixed our salary cap situation as it was ugly when he came in. Unfortunately for him we had a string of injuries at a pivotal position last year and the CB he picked up in free agency ended up being a bit screwy and just kind of decided he didn't want to honor the contract he signed and not show up, I don't think he could have predicted that our entire CB roster would get injured last year and honestly a lot of our games were still close even with players playing out of position. I can't complain because I actually really like Mac but I really do wish Idzik the best and I still don't feel he deserved the trashy treatment that certain Jets fans gave him last year.

IDK Beale: Just looking at his 2014 picks,  it looked pretty bad.  Out of 12 players recruited in 2014,  only 2 (so far) have proven themselves (Pyor and Amaro).  Four of the players in the group are gone and the jury is still out on the remaining drafts/hires.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDK Beale: Just looking at his 2014 picks,  it looked pretty bad.  Out of 12 players recruited in 2014,  only 2 (so far) have proven themselves (Pyor and Amaro).  Four of the players in the group are gone and the jury is still out on the remaining drafts/hires.  

He drafted Richardson who won defensive rookie of the year, McDougle and Milliner both showed flashes of being good though they both got injured. He added some competition on the offensive line. Most importantly Idzik gave us the cap space to get everyone excited about the team this season. Again, I like Macc and Bowles, I Love what they have done to this team so far in the short time they have been with us. All I am saying is that Idzik probably didn't deserve the billboards and the plane flying over practice, also note that the firejohnidzik website run by some stupid fanatics included pictures and stories of players that Idzik inherited and had no part in bringing in. Before you say he didn't cut them either who would he have replaced players like Sanchez with who was owed guaranteed money that would have went against our cap had we cut them. One thing I do miss with Idzik and Rex is that I got to read something about the Jets on an almost daily basis and now with Macc and Bowles everything they do seems to be much more quiet and secretive (Probably better for the team that way).

IDK Beale: Just looking at his 2014 picks, it looked pretty bad. Out of 12 players recruited in 2014, only 2 (so far) have proven themselves (Pyor and Amaro). Four of the players in the group are gone and the jury is still out on the remaining drafts/hires.

What has Pryor proven? That he totally sucks?

No he did not.  Tannenbaum structured all the verteran contracts to come due in Idzik's second year.  He made his last push with Sanchez and put us right up against the cap as much as he could to help, but he setup 2013 as the bailout year to be able to clear the space.  Idzik just pushed the button on what was already in place.  He did nothing creative at all to get us under the cap like that.  Tannenbaum was an idiot as a personnel guy, but he was a genius with contracts and salary caps.  He knew exactly what he was doing setting us up for that.  Idzik did nothing good here.  He had terrible drafts, terrible FA's, and did nothing cap wise.  Not to mention he was atrocious with the media, spent 30 minutes on an ad hoc mumbly rambling mid year presser that was cringeworthy.  I did not like Tanny as a GM, but I'll be damned seeing Idzik getting credit for something he didn't do.

Exactly.  He didnt have to work hard to open up tons of cap space, he let contracts expire or simple cut players.

Then signed no one to help areas of need outside of Decker

What has Pryor proven? That he totally sucks?

Or more to the point, due to injuries that Idzik failed to address that he couldnt play a new position 

We'll see what we have or don't have this season

Ahh. So the guy who put us in cap hell to begin with actually fixed it two years after he was fired. I get it now. Wow. I guess I underestimated Tanny.

Anyone who chose to take a look at OTC.com could've accurately predicted which Tannenbaum contracts Idzik was going to cut to get under the cap. Cutting players is a pretty easy thing to do. Clearing cap space while simultaneously fielding a competitive team is a little harder, and something that proved to be beyond the so-called talents of John Idzik.

Or more to the point, due to injuries that Idzik failed to address that he couldnt play a new position

We'll see what we have or don't have this season

He's a glorified Eric Smith fortunately. Fortunately we are stacked at corner to the point we don't even need to use more than one safety in the 46.

He's a glorified Eric Smith fortunately. Fortunately we are stacked at corner to the point we don't even need to use more than one safety in the 46.

You don't have a clue whether this is true or not. You e never seen him play his natural position. And he's playing a position that takes time to transition from college. But you crystal ball says he will suck.

The same crystal all that says Simms sucking in game action means nothing and is on the team for playing s bad game.

Amazing how we twist facts to suit our agenda

BTW, the Bears when they ran the 46 D ran it with 6 safeties

In fairness to Idzik, not that I like the guy, you do have to think things might have been different if both Milliner and McDougle didn't go down the same day in preseason last year and  Cro had a hip issue the previous year.  That's total devastation at the defensive position the coach likes to build his defense around.  Not a fan, but that was an amazing coincidence.

You don't have a clue whether this is true or not. You e never seen him play his natural position. And he's playing a position that takes time to transition from college. But you crystal ball says he will suck.

The same crystal all that says Simms sucking in game action means nothing and is on the team for playing s bad game.

Amazing how we twist facts to suit our agenda

BTW, the Bears when they ran the 46 D ran it with 6 safeties

Eric Smith I mean Pryor sucks. Not shocked your defending him you defended Smith JI. They both couldn't cover Matt Mulligan with a leg broken.

Eric Smith I mean Pryor sucks. Not shocked your defending him you defended Smith JI. They both couldn't cover Matt Mulligan with a leg broken.

I defended Smith?

Sure I did.

And if you can't tell the difference between Smith and Pryor you shouldn't be talking about football.

Ahh. So the guy who put us in cap hell to begin with actually fixed it two years after he was fired. I get it now. Wow. I guess

What cap hell?  We were up against the cap for one year.  Deliberately so with the idea of trying to keep the vets and support Sanchez as much as possible in that last year (the one he got hurt in a meaningless Snoopy bowl game) before making a decision on him long term.  Tell me one creative thing Idzik did to clear that cap space other than make what were obvious cuts set up by Tanny?

Ahh. So the guy who put us in cap hell to begin with actually fixed it two years after he was fired. I get it now. Wow. I guess I underestimated Tanny.

Is there a more overused and misplaced term among Idiotzik supporters than "cap hell"?  It took a rocket scientist to realize Santonio (who played all of 4 games in the NFL after his release) should have been cut to save $8M or Sanchez to save $10M or Cromartie to save $9M or Bart Scott the year before that.  These were really astute moves that no one could have possibly come up with.  He really saved us.  I was expecting "Tone" to be a part of this organization for another 3 years.  Not many guys can suck, be grossly overpaid, be very injury prone and be a habitual dick all at the same time (total captain material!).  I wonder what Idzik's first inclination was to cut him. 

And stop whining about injuries to a top 10 pick who had, at best, a very underwhelming rookie season and a completely unproven injury prone 3rd round pick.  He should have never been counting on these two plus a journeyman on his 7th team as his lone hopes for the position in the first place.

Holmes didn't suck, come on now. He was a Super Bowl MVP for a reason.

Miss the point much?  I never said the career of Holmes sucked, but the 30 year old crotchety, overpaid, injury prone, quitter that was Santonio Holmes after he signed his extension could not have sucked more.  Focus on the point, which was what Santonio was at the time the "cap genius" cut him.

Is there a more overused and misplaced term among Idiotzik supporters than "cap hell"?  It took a rocket scientist to realize Santonio (who played all of 4 games in the NFL after his release) should have been cut to save $8M or Sanchez to save $10M or Cromartie to save $9M or Bart Scott the year before that.  These were really astute moves that no one could have possibly come up with.  He really saved us.  I was expecting "Tone" to be a part of this organization for another 3 years.  Not many guys can suck, be grossly overpaid, be very injury prone and be a habitual dick all at the same time (total captain material!).  I wonder what Idzik's first inclination was to cut him. 

And stop whining about injuries to a top 10 pick who had, at best, a very underwhelming rookie season and a completely unproven injury prone 3rd round pick.  He should have never been counting on these two plus a journeyman on his 7th team as his lone hopes for the position in the first place.

This is where your hatred for Idzick makes you guys myopic. Clearing cap space through cuts wasn't what got us to the point where we could afford to spend like drunken sailors this year. It was NOT signing a bunch of overpriced vets (you know, the ones everyone was screaming for) and not extending or restructuring bad contracts just to get the team to 7-9. It was managing player losses in such a way as to accumulate 12 draft picks. Tannenbaum had nothing to do with it. At the end of the day he had a crappy draft which is unacceptable with a dozen picks. That's what put the nail in the coffin.

This is where your hatred for Idzick makes you guys myopic. Clearing cap space through cuts wasn't what got us to the point where we could afford to spend like drunken sailors this year. It was NOT signing a bunch of overpriced vets (you know, the ones everyone was screaming for) and not extending or restructuring bad contracts just to get the team to 7-9. It was managing player losses in such a way as to accumulate 12 draft picks. Tannenbaum had nothing to do with it. At the end of the day he had a crappy draft which is unacceptable with a dozen picks. That's what put the nail in the coffin.

We screamed for one guy.  A cornerback.  Damned near any serviceable cornerback.  He gave us Dimitri Patterson for $3M per.  Hell, we probably could have signed Cromartie for last year and this year for less than we are paying him for 2015.  Idzik! Idzik! Rah! Rah! Rah!

We screamed for one guy. A cornerback. Damned near any serviceable cornerback. He gave us Dimitri Patterson for $3M per. Hell, we probably could have signed Cromartie for last year and this year for less than we are paying him for 2015. Idzik! Idzik! Rah! Rah! Rah!

Idzik was just was way over his head here. He reminded of Scott Layden - an innocent dumb guy you almost can't blame for being unable to perform.

We screamed for one guy.  A cornerback.  Damned near any serviceable cornerback.  He gave us Dimitri Patterson for $3M per.  Hell, we probably could have signed Cromartie for last year and this year for less than we are paying him for 2015.  Idzik! Idzik! Rah! Rah! Rah!

Idzik was pegged as a planner and a cap guy, with his weakness being personnel.  he was exactly that.  His scouts found him a nice off-the street CB in Williams eventually.  But it was too little too late.  He did the wise thing in not spending in hopes to have a clear cap, lots of draft picks and a chance to build a team with Rex Ryan out of the picture.  Unfortunately for him, he didn't have the knack for player evaluation a good GM needs.  And Rex was part of the package deal.  

Idzik was pegged as a planner and a cap guy, with his weakness being personnel.  he was exactly that.  His scouts found him a nice off-the street CB in Williams eventually.  But it was too little too late.  He did the wise thing in not spending in hopes to have a clear cap, lots of draft picks and a chance to build a team with Rex Ryan out of the picture.  Unfortunately for him, he didn't have the knack for player evaluation a good GM needs.  And Rex was part of the package deal.  

Nobody is that bad at personnel.  For slightly more than he gave Patterson they could have signed Munnerlyn, Cromartie, Tarrel Brown, Peanut Tillman, etc.  Hell for slightly more per year they probably could have gotten Brent Grimes to leave the 'phins.  The handling of the WR and CB positions was borderline criminal. 

I think Idzik was much better than people give him credit for, we did draft Richardson with Idzik here and I still have faith that our rookies from last year are going to look pretty good this year. No one can deny that he fixed our salary cap situation as it was ugly when he came in. Unfortunately for him we had a string of injuries at a pivotal position last year and the CB he picked up in free agency ended up being a bit screwy and just kind of decided he didn't want to honor the contract he signed and not show up, I don't think he could have predicted that our entire CB roster would get injured last year and honestly a lot of our games were still close even with players playing out of position. I can't complain because I actually really like Mac but I really do wish Idzik the best and I still don't feel he deserved the trashy treatment that certain Jets fans gave him last year.

Bite your tongue and your lip while you're at it. He drafted Smith. Period.  Smith, if not drafted by the Jets, would have fallen to the 4th or 5th round. And this was an incredibly weak QB class which should have increased his value.  He was on numerous do not touch lists by many GM's after his ridiculous combine interviews.  Idziot's fatal flaw was drafting Smith and it has and will continue to set the Jets back for another few years to come, similar to the unwise decision in drafting an unproven Sanchez. 

Nobody is that bad at personnel. For slightly more than he gave Patterson they could have signed Munnerlyn, Cromartie, Tarrel Brown, Peanut Tillman, etc. Hell for slightly more per year they probably could have gotten Brent Grimes to leave the 'phins. The handling of the WR and CB positions was borderline criminal.

We also wasted $4 million on the dog killer in conjunction with the Patterson waste.

Pryor is going to go down with the D-robs, Gholstons and J-Mitches. Not only is he bad but the players we took a pass on for him.

We also wasted $4 million on the dog killer in conjunction with the Patterson waste.

Pryor is going to go down with the D-robs, Gholstons and J-Mitches. Not only is he bad but the players we took a pass on for him.

Idziot's 2013 & 2014 drafts. Drafts that will live in infamy. 

Bite your tongue and your lip while you're at it. He drafted Smith. Period.  Smith, if not drafted by the Jets, would have fallen to the 4th or 5th round. And this was an incredibly weak QB class which should have increased his value.  He was on numerous do not touch lists by many GM's after his ridiculous combine interviews.  Idziot's fatal flaw was drafting Smith and it has and will continue to set the Jets back for another few years to come, similar to the unwise decision in drafting an unproven Sanchez. 

Smith was projected to be a 1st round pick and projected to be the best QB in the draft, if you are a QB needy team and the kid falls to you when you have no other viable options on the team then how do you pass? If we gave Geno a few years to sit back and develop and we had a proper coaching staff he might have turned out pretty good, hell Gaily might still fix the kid which we will likely get to see this season.

Blah Blah Blah... he had no cap space the first year so there was nothing he could have done save for bargain basement signings like Landry and Colon.  The second year he flat out ignored the most important position in the defensive system his head coach runs with $25M to spare and you act like that is somehow a tremendous achievement!  Lots of GMs could ignore position groups and accumulate cap space... I wonder why no one else does it.  And what did he end up doing?  Using the space he could have used to resign Revis or sign a guy like Talib for Percy freaking Harvin!  I will give him actual credit for things he actually deserves credit for... drafting Sheldon Richardson and signing Eric Decker... but I refuse to fabricate positives for a guy who will go down as one of the worst GM's in modern NFL history.

You act like Williams solidified the position!  An off the street undrafted FA, who played well as compared to Kyle Wilson, and Philip Adams and Antonio Allen, but was hardly an average NFL starter. 

Every time one of these Idzik apologists comes out of the woodwork, they praise not signing anyone, then neglect to mention the fact that Harvin cost us $7million toward our cap this year in a season where we were already 1-6.  That's really being prudent.

Archived