Smith, Not Fitzpatrick is the QB New York Needs Right Now

cgorbs94

Many a football fan seems to be asking Jet fans everywhere why the team is not giving Ryan Fitzpatrick the starting job out right?  This question is one I have been asked many times… and if you want the honest answer, it’s because he’s not a starting quarterback. As far as backups are concerned I don’t think there is anyone better, but Fitzpatrick is a man who has been in the league for years now, we know what he is, we know what he can do.  So why name Geno the starter so early? Because that’s what he is, a starter.

Geno Smith has had an ugly pattern of playing very well the last four games of the season to give fans a lot of hope.  However, the team going into this season is the most talented, complete team that the Jets have had since 2010.  Everything is in his corner and it is his job to lose.  He has weapons, a line, a whole mess of running backs, and a championship caliber defense.  If he doesn’t succeed this season… well then he’s no better then Fitzpatrick.

What I believe to truly be the X-factor in Geno Smith’s development is having a truly hard worker behind him in Fitzpatrick and then of course the QB friendly system that will be implemented by Chan Gailey.  When you look at the QB’s that Gailey has worked with in the past, you have guys like Kordell Stewart, Tyler Thigpen, and the previously mentioned Ryan Fitzpatrick.  And he made all of them look like pretty good quarterbacks in his time with them. Geno Smith is a better quarterback then all of these guys, and I think can prove it this season.

What concerns me with Geno is a bit of immaturity.  He has missed team meetings before, and doesn’t quite seem like a natural leader. I don’t think he has to be for the Jets to be successful, and I by no means expect him to develop into a Peyton Manning, but he can be a good starter in this league, make the playoffs, and hopefully the defense is good enough to go the rest of the way. 

So back to the original point, why isn’t Fitzpatrick the day 1 starter? There is so much more upside with Geno, and he more then likely is better now then Fitzpatrick is, should Geno Smith perform badly or do something stupid then I think he’s out the door and Fitzpatrick will be the starter… that is until the team wants to see what they have in Bryce Petty

For more info Check out 

http://www.interstateofgreen.com

on twitter 

@cgorbs94

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His primary problem is he thinks he is better than he is. That will ultimately be his downfall and inability to grow.  He's a wannbe, a legend in his own mind.  

You cant give what you don't have.      

I disagree, I think the veteran Fitzpatrick is the better option for a team that is talented enough to compete for a division title at all the other position groups. 

Unless if Geno is a completely changed QB this year, he's not the answer based on what I saw his first 2 seasons.  The specifics have been beaten to death at this point but that's how I feel.  Geno gets rattled very easily.  People look at the 3 or 4 games in the entire season that he played well, and forget about the 8 games where they only had 1-2 good drives per game and the other drives it felt like an accomplishment when the team got a 1st down.  A FIRST DOWN!!!  Half the season was unwatchable football and it starts with the QB who, among other issues, was terribly inaccurate on a lot of wide open looks.

All I know is for the past 5 seasons Fitzpatrick has thrown more TDs than INTs in each of those seasons, plus has a higher completion percentage, and that is the kind of track record we need at the starting QB position for a win-now team.  And don't tell me "fumbles" because I looked the stats up and Geno fumbles just as much.

Our problem is, we have a new OC who comes in and falls in love with Geno's "upside."  Yeah, Browning Nagle had "upside" too.  But intangibles matter more at the QB position in the NFL.  And Geno just doesn't seem to have those intangibles.

Fitzpatrick should be the bridge to the Petty era.  Petty is the real QB of the future here.

I disagree, I think the veteran Fitzpatrick is the better option for a team that is talented enough to compete for a division title at all the other position groups. 

Unless if Geno is a completely changed QB this year, he's not the answer based on what I saw his first 2 seasons.  The specifics have been beaten to death at this point but that's how I feel.  Geno gets rattled very easily.  People look at the 3 or 4 games in the entire season that he played well, and forget about the entire month of October where it felt like an accomplishment when the team got a 1st down.  A FIRST DOWN!!!

All I know is for the past 5 seasons Fitzpatrick has thrown more TDs than INTs in each of those seasons, and that is the kind of track record we need at the starting QB position for a win-now team.  And don't tell me "fumbles" because I looked the stats up and Geno fumbles just as much.

With this defense, what we need is a QB NOT to turn the ball over and play within himself.  While Fitz is no Brady, Brees or Manning, he is a competent game manager and is our best bet at this point until Petty is ready to take over.  Smith is the antithesis of a game manager.  He forces passes instead of taking a sack, he takes sacks instead of throwing the ball away, he forces balls into double, triple team coverage, he holds onto the ball way way to long, he cant read defenses or go through his progressions, he has lousy footwork, panics, has the longest delivery I've damned near ever seen, has zero leadership skills, is terribly inaccurate, is incredibly immature, and acts like he is owed something.  Other than that, he has high end skills.          

Our defense STUNK last year!

I don't know to many QBs that play well when they are on the sidelines for 15 play drives.

Did we ever get off the field on 3rd down?

Yes I'm being facetious but there were a lot of things wrong with the NY Jets last year & one of them was Geno, but the special teams also SUCKED! The play calling was MIND BOGGLING for the most part.

I don't know how many drives we started at the 20 or worse but it had to be one of the highest percentages in the league.

Last year was a clusterf*ck from the 1st Winters whiff vs Green Bay to the 8th false start by Colon.

Oh, and can our Dline stop jumping offsides on 3rd & short?

Undisciplned football!

You won't win sh*t playing undisciplned football. You only need to look to the Detroit Lions. Schwartz was like Rex, same coaching tree I believe, they jettisoned him, cut down the stupid azz mistakes & went to the playoffs.

Look up north to New England, sure they're cheating bastards but Belichick preaches discipline & DOING YOUR JOB on every play.

That's the secret to success in the NFL, one play at a time, with EVERYONE on the same page DOING THEIR JOB!

You can go back to when Parcells was here & watching his Oline perform was a thing of beauty, like a ballet. If you remember they used to break huddle & they would straighten up & then in sync would get set in position.

I remember they played Miami & they were running pulling plays with Mawae and the Fins couldn't stop it. Parcells just ran that play to death & the Oline that night just dominated.

Bowles seems like a detailed DO YOUR JOB guy. Loved his press conference. "Genos the starter till he's not the starter if he doesn't play well, that goes for every position on this team. You don't play well we'll find someone who will".

Bam! There's a new sheriff in town. I expect the Jets to play way harder than what you saw last year.

he needs to simply grow up and give a sh*t. 

I have always gotten the vibe from him that he hates football, but makes to much money playing it to walk away

Interesting.  My vibe on Geno is that he is very insecure, indecisive, and that he puts on a front.  He is all bravado--but he has a strong arm.  Maybe the confidence will come with a new coach?

Why does Geno get the label of having tons of "upside"?  Where is this upside?  Fitz had a 6-TD game last season, yet even I don't think he has a high ceiling.

Do we just assume guys who suck but are young and have some nice physical tools automatically could be a top 5 QB some day?  Not happening.  His ceiling entering the draft was somewhere in the neighborhood of being average.  Even as the top-rated QB of that weak draft class.  Which is why he fell to the 2nd round.  He didn't have high "upside" then and doesn't now.  He is what he is. 

Our defense STUNK last year!

I don't know to many QBs that play well when they are on the sidelines for 15 play drives.

Did we ever get off the field on 3rd down?

Yes I'm being facetious but there were a lot of things wrong with the NY Jets last year & one of them was Geno, but the special teams also SUCKED! The play calling was MIND BOGGLING for the most part.

I don't know how many drives we started at the 20 or worse but it had to be one of the highest percentages in the league.

Last year was a clusterf*ck from the 1st Winters whiff vs Green Bay to the 8th false start by Colon.

Oh, and can our Dline stop jumping offsides on 3rd & short?

Undisciplned football!

You won't win sh*t playing undisciplned football. You only need to look to the Detroit Lions. Schwartz was like Rex, same coaching tree I believe, they jettisoned him, cut down the stupid azz mistakes & went to the playoffs.

Look up north to New England, sure they're cheating bastards but Belichick preaches discipline & DOING YOUR JOB on every play.

That's the secret to success in the NFL, one play at a time, with EVERYONE on the same page DOING THEIR JOB!

You can go back to when Parcells was here & watching his Oline perform was a thing of beauty, like a ballet. If you remember they used to break huddle & they would straighten up & then in sync would get set in position.

I remember they played Miami & they were running pulling plays with Mawae and the Fins couldn't stop it. Parcells just ran that play to death & the Oline that night just dominated.

Bowles seems like a detailed DO YOUR JOB guy. Loved his press conference. "Genos the starter till he's not the starter if he doesn't play well, that goes for every position on this team. You don't play well we'll find someone who will".

Bam! There's a new sheriff in town. I expect the Jets to play way harder than what you saw last year.

whine more

RRvwMEBZAH0Pu.gif

mope

\ˈmōp\

1    archaic :  to act in a dazed or stupid manner

:  to give oneself up to brooding :  become listless or dejected
:  to move slowly or aimlessly

In terms of individual stats (completion percentage, QB rating, TD/INT, yardage), what would be a "good" season for Geno?

For me?  60% 3600 20-16 I think that is attainable and I would probably be satisfied.  Hopefully the scheme will get him there, but... I am a little concerned at the lack of a pass catching back.

Interesting.  My vibe on Geno is that he is very insecure, indecisive, and that he puts on a front.  He is all bravado--but he has a strong arm.  Maybe the confidence will come with a new coach?

I think thats exactly what it is with Geno he comes off as being confident but he is very insecure, he appears to not care what people think but deep down he really does, and it shows.

Fitzpatrick should be the bridge to the Petty era.  Petty is the real QB of the future here.

Petty being the future is something of a long shot. We can be hopeful -I'm always hopeful this time of year- but historically the odds are against fourth round picks emerging as starters. Basing starting Fitzpatrick on the idea that he's somehow a bridge to this Bryce Petty future is a weak reason. And really, an offense tailored to Geno Smith will probably fit Petty better than one designed for Fitz, anyway.

But if Petty isn't the future, then Fitzpatrick is the bridge to nowhere.

This is the first year of a new regime, and a complete overhaul of the team. They have a QB in Smith who was very well rated coming out of school a couple years ago, and under contract cheaply. It makes sense for them to fully explore what's he's capable of being, which is what that's exactly what they're doing. He's gonna enter training camp as the starter, and will -at a minimum- start the first couple of preseason games. If he hasn't completely crapped the bed or been dramatically outplayed by Fitzpatrick by that time, he'll also start the third preseason game in preparation to open the regular season as the starter. That's the plan. Jet fans need to get used to it. Lol.

If Geno can't get it done in Gailey's offense with Marshal, Decker, Amaro, Kerley, and Devon Smith to throw to, then we'll see Fitzpatrick as the short bridge to Petty - because they'll want to get Petty a couple late starts to see how he responds before formulating their QB plans for 2016.

I think thats exactly what it is with Geno he comes off as being confident but he is very insecure, he appears to not care what people think but deep down he really does, and it shows.

Geno's psychological makeup is my biggest concern with him. He talks about needing a short memory, I think, because that's something he hasn't mastered yet. He makes a mistake and he mopes off to himself and broods in it. Guys like Cutler or Rivers are the opposite, and piss off fans for a different reason, by being seen laughing on the sidelines with teammates minutes after an interception - but Geno needs to develop some of that.

I agree with the lack of confidence/false bravado observations. I also think fake it 'til you make it can be an effective way to overcome a lack of confidence, so I'm not that concerned about it. Success breeds confidence, and if Gailey's coaching and the team's new weapons bring Geno some success, that can snowball in a positive way.

Either way, the team intends to extend the Geno experiment this year.

Why does Geno get the label of having tons of "upside"?  Where is this upside?  Fitz had a 6-TD game last season, yet even I don't think he has a high ceiling.

Do we just assume guys who suck but are young and have some nice physical tools automatically could be a top 5 QB some day?  Not happening.  His ceiling entering the draft was somewhere in the neighborhood of being average.  Even as the top-rated QB of that weak draft class.  Which is why he fell to the 2nd round.  He didn't have high "upside" then and doesn't now.  He is what he is. 

You've gone mental.  Over Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I dont blame you.  Its the Jets fault.  But get a grip, man.

Many a football fan seems to be asking Jet fans everywhere why the team is not giving Ryan Fitzpatrick the starting job out right?  This question is one I have been asked many times… and if you want the honest answer, it’s because he’s not a starting quarterback. As far as backups are concerned I don’t think there is anyone better, but Fitzpatrick is a man who has been in the league for years now, we know what he is, we know what he can do.  So why name Geno the starter so early? Because that’s what he is, a starter.

Geno Smith has had an ugly pattern of playing very well the last four games of the season to give fans a lot of hope.  However, the team going into this season is the most talented, complete team that the Jets have had since 2010.  Everything is in his corner and it is his job to lose.  He has weapons, a line, a whole mess of running backs, and a championship caliber defense.  If he doesn’t succeed this season… well then he’s no better then Fitzpatrick.

What I believe to truly be the X-factor in Geno Smith’s development is having a truly hard worker behind him in Fitzpatrick and then of course the QB friendly system that will be implemented by Chan Gailey.  When you look at the QB’s that Gailey has worked with in the past, you have guys like Kordell Stewart, Tyler Thigpen, and the previously mentioned Ryan Fitzpatrick.  And he made all of them look like pretty good quarterbacks in his time with them. Geno Smith is a better quarterback then all of these guys, and I think can prove it this season.

What concerns me with Geno is a bit of immaturity.  He has missed team meetings before, and doesn’t quite seem like a natural leader. I don’t think he has to be for the Jets to be successful, and I by no means expect him to develop into a Peyton Manning, but he can be a good starter in this league, make the playoffs, and hopefully the defense is good enough to go the rest of the way. 

So back to the original point, why isn’t Fitzpatrick the day 1 starter? There is so much more upside with Geno, and he more then likely is better now then Fitzpatrick is, should Geno Smith perform badly or do something stupid then I think he’s out the door and Fitzpatrick will be the starter… that is until the team wants to see what they have in Bryce Petty

Great post.  It's 100% in the best interest of the Jets for Geno to be the starter.  Saying otherwise is silly and naive.  Fitzpatrick does nothing for this franchise.  Nothing.  Even if he did do something he's never done before and win more than 6 games?  Then what?  You're stuck in no mans land, with a sh*tty veteran QB and no hope to ever land a top prospect.  

Ride or die with Geno, if he sucks after the first quarter of the season, put Fitz in and see if he can strike lightening in a bottle.  

Geno Smith is an extremely frustrating player to watch.  The raw talent is there, and there are times when he can dominate and command the field.  However, the mental lapses are inexcusable and far too frequent.

Even when he is on his A game, the inevitable head scratching play is never far off.  One perfect example: holding the ball like a loaf of bread while scrambling during his "perfect" game last season (lost fumble).  It's terrible awareness and carelessness on his part.  You simply can't do that in the NFL.

I have serious doubts that Geno will ever get over the hump and become more consistent.  Unfortunately, the Jets have had serious consistency problems at QB for 6 straight seasons.

Fitzpatrick is a solid veteran, but his best role in the NFL is as a backup.  He's the type of player a team should always be trying to upgrade.  Personally, I loved going up against Fitzpatrick when he was on the Bills.  He's nothing special, and he turns the ball over far too frequently to be an effective game manager.

I have very low hope for Geno Smith.  He throws well enough for me.  He's mobile enough for me.  He does not process things well.  He does not react well when things break down.  The very best thing Geno could do to help himself this year would be to run a LOT.  I actually think this player could be best served by actually carrying the clipboard behind a vet who has some success.

he needs to simply grow up and give a sh*t. 

I have always gotten the vibe from him that he hates football, but makes to much money playing it to walk away

I got a "Ryan Leaf" vibe from Geno after he got benched in San Diego - looked like he was pouting on the sidelines.  Just not sure this kid has the mental fortitude for the game at this level.

His primary problem is he thinks he is better than he is. That will ultimately be his downfall and inability to grow.  He's a wannbe, a legend in his own mind.  

You cant give what you don't have.      

Unless if Geno is a completely changed QB this year, he's not the answer based on what I saw his first 2 seasons.  The specifics have been beaten to death at this point but that's how I feel.  Geno gets rattled very easily.  People look at the 3 or 4 games in the entire season that he played well, and forget about the 8 games where they only had 1-2 good drives per game and the other drives it felt like an accomplishment when the team got a 1st down.  A FIRST DOWN!!!  Half the season was unwatchable football and it starts with the QB who, among other issues, was terribly inaccurate on a lot of wide open looks.

All I know is for the past 5 seasons Fitzpatrick has thrown more TDs than INTs in each of those seasons, plus has a higher completion percentage, and that is the kind of track record we need at the starting QB position for a win-now team.  And don't tell me "fumbles" because I looked the stats up and Geno fumbles just as much.

Our problem is, we have a new OC who comes in and falls in love with Geno's "upside."  Yeah, Browning Nagle had "upside" too.  But intangibles matter more at the QB position in the NFL.  And Geno just doesn't seem to have those intangibles.

All of these quotes I have a problem with. Geno either "doesnt care" or "pouts when he's benched". I never seen a person who doesnt care about something pout about it. And just because someone shows frustration doesnt mean that they dont care or they're not ready for that level of competition.Then his problem is that he's a legend in his own mind....most of the guys in the NFL are. 99.9 percent of these guys were "the guy" on their team going all the way back to pee wee league. Its a shock to the system when they experience the jump from College to playing the best in the world. 

Now, I will never disagree purely because of opinion. I prefer someone's own opinion rather than some expert they decided to quote, but most people were pissed about the job being handed to Geno to lose, but in the very same breath in their own words would basically hand the job over to Fitzpatrick. Either you want competition or you dont. Thats is the difference between hating on a guy and actually wanting to have the best guy on the field. 

Everyone knew I wanted Glennon on this football team, but I never once said to hand him the Job. Granted, I felt that he would win hands down, but I didnt want to hand him anything. What the hell has Fitzpatrick ever done in his career outside of NOT BEING A JET QB PRIOR that has him receiving so much love from Jet fans? The guy has never been to the playoffs, he's never had a winning season under his belt, sh*t...he's never even broke even during a regular season. Yet Jet fans continuously provide excuses for Fitz below average career (or even disregard it entirely), meanwhile crucify a guy who is still within his rookie contract yet has actually won more games in a season than Fitzpatrick. 

I even have a problem with the title of this thread. What the Jets need is the best QB to be the QB. And if thats Fitzpatrick or Petty then so be it. But the Geno hate has officially hit stupidville at this point. Ryan Fitzpatrick in his prime guaranteed you 6 wins max in a season, and he's only a shell of what he was today. 

You guys prove to be an amazing read I tell ya. lol. 

With this defense, what we need is a QB NOT to turn the ball over and play within himself.  While Fitz is no Brady, Brees or Manning, he is a competent game manager and is our best bet at this point until Petty is ready to take over.  Smith is the antithesis of a game manager.  He forces passes instead of taking a sack, he takes sacks instead of throwing the ball away, he forces balls into double, triple team coverage, he holds onto the ball way way to long, he cant read defenses or go through his progressions, he has lousy footwork, panics, has the longest delivery I've damned near ever seen, has zero leadership skills, is terribly inaccurate, is incredibly immature, and acts like he is owed something.  Other than that, he has high end skills.          

All understandable. The problem is last season was the only time Fitzpatrick wasn't a turnover machine in his own right. His career interception % is the same as Geno put up in a mostly lousy 2014. 

Even last year, in Fitzpatrick's best-ever season (by far), they both had the same # of multi-interception games.

I wouldn't bet on anything (positive) from Smith after those first 2 seasons, and apparently he looked like total garbage in the first practice, but his turnovers went way down after he was benched and came back (when he had a full/healthy receiving corps). Three picks in the last 6 games (5 starts), and 1 of them came in that Miami game where Ryan threw a playcalling temper tantrum by not letting him throw until the final series, by which time Miami could key on the pass every down. He's going to have to learn to deal with that if he wants to be an NFL passer, because we can't just delete a hurry-up offense from the playcalling and just kneel on it.

It's more than just the picks with Smith, though. It's taking those mindless sacks that took us out of FG range. Some of that - particularly when you know what you've got at QB - is coaching. I mean someone's got to remind him through the helmet that under no circumstances can he take a sack. You can't expect a young QB, whose mind is already swimming, to just know it like it's 2nd nature. You can wish it, but shouldn't expect it.

The concerns don't end there either. Even on completed passes, the ball placement was often poor. And when someone's wide open he doesn't see it (just like when someone's not open he too-often didn't see that either).

We'll see what happens. At least there's another option if he still looks like crap again. Not a great option, but a better option than a Matt Simms or Mark Brunell or Kellen Clemens. 

Petty being the future is something of a long shot. We can be hopeful -I'm always hopeful this time of year- but historically the odds are against fourth round picks emerging as starters. Basing starting Fitzpatrick on the idea that he's somehow a bridge to this Bryce Petty future is a weak reason. And really, an offense tailored to Geno Smith will probably fit Petty better than one designed for Fitz, anyway.

But if Petty isn't the future, then Fitzpatrick is the bridge to nowhere.

This is the first year of a new regime, and a complete overhaul of the team. They have a QB in Smith who was very well rated coming out of school a couple years ago, and under contract cheaply. It makes sense for them to fully explore what's he's capable of being, which is what that's exactly what they're doing. He's gonna enter training camp as the starter, and will -at a minimum- start the first couple of preseason games. If he hasn't completely crapped the bed or been dramatically outplayed by Fitzpatrick by that time, he'll also start the third preseason game in preparation to open the regular season as the starter. That's the plan. Jet fans need to get used to it. Lol.

If Geno can't get it done in Gailey's offense with Marshal, Decker, Amaro, Kerley, and Devon Smith to throw to, then we'll see Fitzpatrick as the short bridge to Petty - because they'll want to get Petty a couple late starts to see how he responds before formulating their QB plans for 2016.

Geno's psychological makeup is my biggest concern with him. He talks about needing a short memory, I think, because that's something he hasn't mastered yet. He makes a mistake and he mopes off to himself and broods in it. Guys like Cutler or Rivers are the opposite, and piss off fans for a different reason, by being seen laughing on the sidelines with teammates minutes after an interception - but Geno needs to develop some of that.

I agree with the lack of confidence/false bravado observations. I also think fake it 'til you make it can be an effective way to overcome a lack of confidence, so I'm not that concerned about it. Success breeds confidence, and if Gailey's coaching and the team's new weapons bring Geno some success, that can snowball in a positive way.

Either way, the team intends to extend the Geno experiment this year.

You make some excellent points, as long as Geno dosent start to take things personally and he gets going in Gailey's system I think you are right he will be ok. I admire the positive outlook.

For me?  60% 3600 20-16 I think that is attainable and I would probably be satisfied.  Hopefully the scheme will get him there, but... I am a little concerned at the lack of a pass catching back.

If Sanchez upped his accuracy from 55 percent career to 64.1 last year, a Philly franchise record then we can IMO expect that Geno can at least pass for 60%

What a good % of us want is simply to see a competition between the 2 in TC & preseason.

Anything close will go to Geno.

If Geno completely $h*ts the bed and can't even be in the same ballpark as JAG Fitz then he deserves to sit his sorry *$$ on the pine

I got a "Ryan Leaf" vibe from Geno after he got benched in San Diego - looked like he was pouting on the sidelines.  Just not sure this kid has the mental fortitude for the game at this level.

That was very apparent at the draft.  

The only reason Geno is starting is because hes young. Thats it. He will get a game or 2 but if he falters, the hook will be quick.

The jets are giving him one last chance to suceed. And it is the right move with our qb situation.

But this wont be like years past. He will get yanked quick if hes playing poorly.

Archived