Smith, Not Fitzpatrick is the QB New York Needs Right Now

cgorbs94

The only reason Geno is starting is because hes young. Thats it. He will get a game or 2 but if he falters, the hook will be quick.

The jets are giving him one last chance to suceed. And it is the right move with our qb situation.

But this wont be like years past. He will get yanked quick if hes playing poorly.

The problem is that I think the defense will be really strong and that will cause us to be able overcome really poor QB play in several games.  The hook for Geno may take longer.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno ain't making it out of the pre-season as the starter.

You can say whatever the hell you want trying to bash fitz, but he gives us the best chance to win in 2015-16.

Geno is not an NFL caliber starting QB. I can't stand the sight of him.

God, that effin hoodie...I wanted to throw a brick through the TV.

The only reason Geno is starting is because hes young. Thats it. He will get a game or 2 but if he falters, the hook will be quick.

The jets are giving him one last chance to suceed. And it is the right move with our qb situation.

But this wont be like years past. He will get yanked quick if hes playing poorly.

That and Fitz isnt actually all that good

If there was an Andrew Luck to be had in the draft next year I would say start Smith, make liberal use of other "injuries", hire a sacrificial lamb as our head coach, cross my fingers and hope.  Since there is not another Andrew Luck and since we seem to have a pretty good head coach and since the long term answer between Geno Smith and Fitzpatrick is really "none of the above" I think the real question is which of the two gives the Jets defense (predominantly) the best chance at a playoff run.

The answer is "not Smith" and it isn't even close.

Mental makeup is a limiting factor to upside and impossible to ignore.

Or inexperience?

Before the instant gratification mindset became part of fans expectations, QBs needed and were given time to learn.

Here we take a guy who played in a spread and doesnt get the "he needs to learn the pro game" window that Mariota and Petty get.  Geno after approximately a season and a half needs to be tossed away because he needs the same time as others 

If Sanchez upped his accuracy from 55 percent career to 64.1 last year, a Philly franchise record then we can IMO expect that Geno can at least pass for 60%

Thats a QB friendly offense, Foles completed 64% of his passes in 2013.

That said I agree, year 3 he has to complete 60%

That and Fitz isnt actually all that good

Well some Jet fans loved Kenny O but lets look at their td's both passing and rushing. In 129 games Kenny had 128 tds and 98 picks. Fitz in 97 games has 134 tds and 101 picks not too shabby for a 7th rd pick, considering we passed on Marino for Kenny in the 1st rd..hopelessness.png

Well some Jet fans loved Kenny O but lets look at their td's both passing and rushing. In 129 games Kenny had 128 tds and 98 picks. Fitz in 97 games has 134 tds and 101 picks not too shabby for a 7th rd pick, considering we passed on Marino for Kenny in the 1st rd..hopelessness.png

True. But for one its a different game than it was in the 80s. And what KO is or isn't doesn't really make Fitz better.

Everyone passed on Marino. There were reasons why. Find it interesting that only Jet fans harp on it for some reason. And the press kills only the Jets. NE and KC fans should be crying.

True. But for one its a different game than it was in the 80s. And what KO is or isn't doesn't really make Fitz better.

Everyone passed on Marino. There were reasons why. Find it interesting that only Jet fans harp on it for some reason. And the press kills only the Jets. NE and KC fans should be crying.

People passed the ball in the 80's and the 60's as well..Last year Brady passed 582 times Marino in 1986 623 times.. Namath in 1967 passed 491 times but that was a 14 game season.. If you want to say teams with a good running game pass less we agree..That's why Wilson doesn't pass as much then some others that don't have the Beast running the ball..

People passed the ball in the 80's and the 60's as well..Last year Brady passed 582 times Marino in 1986 623 times.. Namath in 1967 passed 491 times but that was a 14 game season.. If you want to say teams with a good running game pass less we agree..That's why Wilson doesn't pass as much then some others that don't have the Beast running the ball..

Yeah, teams passed, but the rules nowadays favor the offenses so much more than they did in the '80s or '60s. I really don't think Fitzpatrick would have comparable numbers to Kenny O if they both played in the same era.

Yeah, teams passed, but the rules nowadays favor the offenses so much more than they did in the '80s or '60s. I really don't think Fitzpatrick would have comparable numbers to Kenny O if they both played in the same era.

Well with Toon,Walker and Shuler plus Freeman and Hector and the sack exchange who knows.. Kenny lovers always blame his O-Line however while he did have a good arm he moved as well as a guy with cement feet.. Marino and Peyton 2 pure pocket passes had 9 tds for Dan and 18 tds for Manning rushing.. Namath with knee braces had 7.. Kenny zero..

Well with Toon,Walker and Shuler plus Freeman and Hector and the sack exchange who knows.. Kenny lovers always blame his O-Line however while he did have a good arm he moved as well as a guy with cement feet.. Marino and Peyton 2 pure pocket passes had 9 tds for Dan and 18 tds for Manning rushing.. Namath with knee braces had 7.. Kenny zero..

Kenny held the ball way too long, willing to take the hit if he thought he could make a play. Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't. I'm not talking about his mobility, though, I'm talking about pure passing. Fitzpatrick, despite the numbers you've cited, was not in Kenny's league.

Well for one you're bringing up HOF QBs.  I would expect them to throw the ball all over the field, its why they're in the hall.  

Difference its easier to complete passes and its easier to pass for TDs and the game is set up for teams to go to the air instead of the ground.  Also with the rule changes scrubs from today can match QB's numbers that theyre not comparable with talent wise from past eras.  Fitzs numbers may approach Kennys but I'd bet that if they played in the same era they wouldnt.  Kenny held onto the ball to often trying to make a play and it cost him at times.  I get that but I dont you take any of these QBs, Namath, Marino etc because they can run the ball.  Never mind that in 9 seasons O'Brien ran for 394 yards and Marino in 17 seasons rushed for 87.  

Well for one you're bringing up HOF QBs.  I would expect them to throw the ball all over the field, its why they're in the hall.  

Difference its easier to complete passes and its easier to pass for TDs and the game is set up for teams to go to the air instead of the ground.  Also with the rule changes scrubs from today can match QB's numbers that theyre not comparable with talent wise from past eras.  Fitzs numbers may approach Kennys but I'd bet that if they played in the same era they wouldnt.  Kenny held onto the ball to often trying to make a play and it cost him at times.  I get that but I dont you take any of these QBs, Namath, Marino etc because they can run the ball.  Never mind that in 9 seasons O'Brien ran for 394 yards and Marino in 17 seasons rushed for 87.  

Geno ran for 366 as a rookie yardage mean nothing TD's do and Kenny had Zip..

Geno ran for 366 as a rookie yardage mean nothing TD's do and Kenny had Zip..

Sorry, I'll never find it significant that Marino ran for 8 tds and someone else 0. TDs don't prove mobility. You're not seriously trying to say that Namath was more mobile, his Jets career than OBrien.

And Geno is a million times more mobile than either.

That's why he was a D2 school player.

BUT the JETS knew better.

Sorry, I'll never find it significant that Marino ran for 8 tads and someone else 0. TDs don't prove mobility. You're not seriously trudging to say that Namath was more mobile, his Jets career than OBrien.

And Geno is a million times more Mobil than either.

Yes even with Knee braces Namath could move better in the pocket then Kenny who was such a statue pigeons used to sit on him..LOL Geno is more mobile and will be better when he learns to step up in the pocket instead of moving backwards..

Sorry, I'll never find it significant that Marino ran for 8 tads and someone else 0. TDs don't prove mobility. You're not seriously trudging to say that Namath was more mobile, his Jets career than OBrien.

And Geno is a million times more Mobil than either.

Excellent point but..... Obrien took us no where. Sanchez, with worse teams had better post season.

KO was fine but not in the same class as Marino,Kelly etc. Not even close.

Yes even with Knee braces Namath could move better in the pocket then Kenny who was such a statue pigeons used to sit on him..LOL Geno is more mobile and will be better when he learns to step up in the pocket instead of moving backwards..

Yes, pocket awareness is completely different than rushing ability.

Excellent point but..... Obrien took us no where. Sanchez, with worse teams had better post season.

KO was fine but not in the same class as Marino,Kelly etc. Not even close.

That's sounds so crazy. KO was much better than Sanchez, that team was so good at times. Toon, Walker, Shuler, Freeman, sack exchange......Joe Walton.

That's sounds so crazy. KO was much better than Sanchez, that team was so good at times. Toon, Walker, Shuler, Freeman, sack exchange......Joe Walton.

I KNOW .... but how many playoff wins does KO have????    He was solid but he was very "Greg Norman" like when it came to playoffs.

I KNOW .... but how many playoff wins does KO have????    He was solid but he was very "Greg Norman" like when it came to playoffs.

If you want to hang playoffs on one player he fails. But between Walton and Gastineaus late hit and Leahys missed kicks etc, there's plenty of blame to go around. Kind of like Marino, is he not as good as Dilfer because of a SB?

If you want to hang playoffs on one player he fails. But between Walton and Gastineaus late hit and Leahys missed kicks etc, there's plenty of blame to go around. Kind of like Marino, is he not as good as Dilfer because of a SB?

Funny backup QB Pat Ryan has a playoff win(35-15 over KC 1986) he doesn't need excuses..

Funny backup QB Pat Ryan has a playoff win(35-15 over KC 1986) he doesn't need excuses..

Not making an excuse. But Ryan makes my point, is he better than KO for beating KC? No. A week before KO had the Jets in the lead and Had a win in Cleveland before Walton, Gas and Leahy turned a win into a loss. No fault of KO's.

And let's not forget if not for a 10-1 start would Ryan even be able to beat KC? Kind of my point, it's more than one player.

Not making an excuse. But Ryan makes my point, is he better than KO for beating KC? A week before KO had the Jet with a win in Cleveland before Walton, Gas and Leahy turned a win into a loss. No fault of KO's.

And let's not forget if not for a 10-1 start would Ryan even be able to beat KC? Kind of my point, it's more than one player.

No just in the playoffs..LOL Sanchez played better in the playoffs then the regular season Kenny didn't..

No just in the playoffs..LOL Sanchez played better in the playoffs then the regular season Kenny didn't..

That might have been the worst game I've ever seen a QB play in a winning effort. Ryan was 10-17 for 84 yards a TD and a INT. QB rating of 66, he won but hardly anything to write home about

That might have been the worst game I've ever seen a QB play in a winning effort. Ryan was 10-17 for 84 yards a TD and a INT. he won but hardly anything to write home about

Your cherry picking JN in Ryans short playoff career (2 games) he was 32 of 51 passing 62.7% with 5 tds and 1 pick.. I never knew you were a big Kenny fan JN.. :winking0001:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanPa00.htm

Your cherry picking JN in Ryans short playoff career (2 games) he was 32 of 51 passing 62.7% with 5 tds and 1 pick.. I never knew you were a big Kenny fan JN.. :winking0001:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanPa00.htm

I liked him. Met him a few times too, nice guy. Plus just seemed like we had a fun, open, downfield passing game with KO at QB.

Ryan to me, was a total scrub. Hated games when he was at QB. You have to admit, he did little in that KC game. But it was a home win so I got to see it

Archived