Smith, Not Fitzpatrick is the QB New York Needs Right Now

cgorbs94

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we do roll with geno can we at least start fitz for the buffalo games? Rex will obliterate geno.

You know I didn't even look it at that way. Looked at it as Rex just wanting to exert revenge on Jets but he's got to be licking his chops to get back at Smith for costing him his head coaching job with the Jets.

You know I didn't even look it at that way. Looked at it as Rex just wanting to exert revenge on Jets but he's got to be licking his chops to get back at Smith for costing him his head coaching job with the Jets.

REX cost REX his HC job.

Never attended Offensive meetings, 3 OC's, etc...

REX cost REX his HC job.

Never attended Offensive meetings, 3 OC's, etc...

Yep he spent too much time with the D will he learn to be a complete HC in buffalo?? Only time will tell and Rex doesn't have a Brady on the shelf to use in year 2 like BB did.. Well year 2 with the Pats year 7 overall.. :winking0001:

I read almost all the posts and complaints here.  The reality is  that there were not  (and probably will not  be before opening season)  any seasoned QB's up for grabs.   The Jets are not the only team that is doing the very best they can do under the circumstances.  As far as Geno Smith,  I think this season  will tell if he has matured enough to overcome distraught emotions (if you will) that have largely interfered  with his ability to make decisiosns on the field. No doubt this kid can play football.  I think 80% of his problem is his mental stability if not immaturity.    Fitz is simply a fall back guy with NFL  QB experience.  I see him as a fill in until the next guy (if not Smith) can step up to the plate.    A lot of teams were watching Bryce Petty.  Who wouldn't after looking at his record at Baylor?    I've read mixed reviews about his performance at the Combine.  This kid is a great athlete who needs some NFL experience and I am confident he will be a top  a QB in the next 2-3 years.  

The only question right now is what do you do with what you have to make it to the playoff and/or championship games this year.  I say,  you have to build an OL that can work around the weaknesses of the QB

I think he is a good athlete - strong arm - smart - just needs some training and experience in the NFL. I really like this kid

He also needs to learn how to make more than one read in a passing play something he rarely ever had to do in college.

Fitzpatrick is a solid veteran, but his best role in the NFL is as a backup. He's the type of player a team should always be trying to upgrade. Personally, I loved going up against Fitzpatrick when he was on the Bills. He's nothing special, and he turns the ball over far too frequently to be an effective game manager.

I felt the same way when we faced him in Buffalo. I knew Rex would have our D dominate him and was never concerned about what Fitz would do to us.....as long as our Offense didn't lose the game for us I was never worried playing them.

Hopefully whoever starts at QB can manage the game and allow our Defense and guys like Marshall and Decker to make the big plays and win games for us, while the QB doesn't lose them.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

He also needs to learn how to make more than one read in a passing play something he rarely ever had to do in college.

That is because his WR's were always open. He did however have to read the defense post snap and instantly decide to hand off to the RB, dump off to a WR/TE on a short route, throw deep to one of the WR's running downfield or tuck it and run. He had to make that decision on every play. He did it well enough to lead the #1 offense in the nation both years that he was the starting QB.

I know that everyone says he has to learn a new system now, but if Gailey is tailoring this offense to more of a spread to help Geno then it also will allow for Bryce to accelerate his learning of the offense. I think Gailey decided to go more spread for this very reason. I have no doubts that Petty can be a successful NFL QB.

Archived