Brandon Marshall Re-Structures Contract

JetNation

helmet.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

The Jets reportedly made good on their word to increase the compensation of newly acquired wide receiver Brandon Marshall following the start of the new league year.

Marshall’s previous deal would have topped out at a maximum of $24.3 million over three seasons.  Under his new pact, he can earn up to $26 million in that span while his 2015 salary of $9 million becomes fully guaranteed.

According to ESPN.com, this was likely a tactic utilized by Gang Green to satisfy Marshall who was attracting multiple suitors once made available via trade.

Marshall’s arrival is expected to help rejuvenate a stagnant Jets offense as he joins Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley and rookie Devin Smith in the Jets passing attack.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA</img> http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs</img>http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/I7dT_hhYXVk

View the full article

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Why give him a raise? It really looks like Wilk is gone after this year.

Does anyone know if Mo can sit out the 1st 10 games of the season and still get paid his entire salary for the season?

This is a very dangerous game they are playing with Mo... Better to trade him than trying to get him to play this year and next.

Sends a bad message to the locker room. The Pats can do it because the players know they'll still be in the playoffs...Jets players can't say this.

So we use draft pick to trade for him and then give him a raise on top of that and that too at age 31 after he has a below par, injury riddled season. For anyone with an iota of football sense it's clear why this does not sound like a great football move.

But I know the Macgag Gang will be here in a few telling us how this is another genius move from their super smart GM.

P.S : I am going to go and enjoy my Saturday afternoon.

So we use draft pick to trade for him and then give him a raise on top of that and that too at age 31 after he has a below par, injury riddled season. For anyone with an iota of football sense it's clear why this does not sound like a great football move.

But I know the Macgag Gang will be here in a few telling us how this is another genius move from their super smart GM.

They might have restructured to get rid of any guaranteed money for the future (I don't know what his contract looked like before). if that were the case this is a smart move.

Marshall, whom the Jets acquired in a trade in March, will receive $1.3 million more in guaranteed money, and the maximum value of his new contract increases from $24.3 million to $26 million.

The Jets promised Marshall more money because the Bears gave him permission to talk to other teams. They had to wait until May 22 to re-work Marshall's contract due to a league rule.

Marshall's 2015 contract goes from a $7.5 million base salary and $200,000 workout bonus to a $9 million fully guaranteed base salary.

In 2016, Marshall will earn $9.5 million in base salary, up from $7.9 million. His base salary decreases from $8.3 million to $7.5 million.

@thejetsblog: Jets restructure Marshall’s contract http://t.co/P5Gaia41O2

facepalm.jpg

Dont know how you can enjoy anything in life with an attitude like that. 

Well Mike M is definitely smarter than you

1/2 Re: Brandon Marshall raise: He had other suitors while on trading block. In competitive situation, Jets agreed to sweeten deal. #nyj

As for Wilkerson, I don't know why people are so upset. He hasn't a good year since 2012. He's been injured and inconsistent since. If he has a great year this year, then pay him

1/2 Re: Brandon Marshall raise: He had other suitors while on trading block. In competitive situation, Jets agreed to sweeten deal. #nyj

As for Wilkerson, I don't know why people are so upset. He hasn't a good year since 2012. He's been injured and inconsistent since. If he has a great year this year, then pay him

Agree we dont need another Dwayne Robertson on our hands I like Mo but its time to earn the contract he wants. 

Does anyone know if Mo can sit out the 1st 10 games of the season and still get paid his entire salary for the season?

This is a very dangerous game they are playing with Mo... Better to trade him than trying to get him to play this year and next.

Sends a bad message to the locker room. The Pats can do it because the players know they'll still be in the playoffs...Jets players can't say this.

Scumbag comment.

Dont you hate all those people who see something for what it is other than seeing it as an indicator of doom and gloom?

He got a peanut raise over 3 years and this season was guaranteed.  Big friggen deal.  He CAN make UP TO an another 1.7 mil over three seasons????  OMG, what are they doing, morons. 

And did you expect him to be cut this season?  Whats the big deal?  Do you ever stop moaning and whining?  

Dont know how you can enjoy anything in life with an attitude like that. 

If you dont know me why would venture a guess ?  All I see is personal attacks. Unless your life is so empty that you get off on things like that.

Otherwise next time stick to the football aspect of it.

lol, so we guaranteed his 2015 salary and promised to give him an extra 1.3mil over 3 years. ZOMGS!!!! If you must know, his 2015 salary was already guaranteed per his old contract. So we weren't releasing him in 2015 regardless. Guaranteeing his current year salary means nothing. And not sure where the 7.5mil figure for 2015 came from. He was scheduled to make 9mil from day one so the only thing Jets gave him was an incentive to earn more while guaranteeing some pocket change month (400k a yr).

Shoot Macc for honoring his words.

Give me a break. Mo is a BEAST. Easily the best DT in the game after Watt.

DE. And no, he's not. He might be a top 10 right now though. Putting him even in the top 5 right now would require LOTS of justification.

Archived