Geno getting a raw deal by many

kmnj

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bet u would have said the same thing about aikman early in his career

playing with sh*tty talent and throwing massive amounts of ints-looking lost out there

Aikman's first year Dallas had a horrible squad.  They even traded away their 1 good option (Herschel Walker).  In his 2nd year they improved from 1 win to 7 wins.  By his 3rd year he won 11 and lost in the divisional round to the Lions.  His 4th year started his Superbowl run.  Geno stunk in years 1 and 2.  He's likely going to stink in year 3. 

Every part of the team is ready to make a run except the QB. If this team throws away the entire year hoping Geno gets grip it will be brutal. No way is the new staff going to let that happen.

If he does not poop him self in pre season Geno gets three games. Max

Move on to what - journeyman Fitzpatrick , they can't and shouldn't play Petty this year. I believe Geno should get this season barring disaster or injury, if he underperforms the CS and front office know where their focus should be next year.

If Geno shots the bed.... Let Petty come in for a 4th quarter week 7 or so. Geno starts again, if he stumbles, Petty starts 4th.

That would push Geno out or up and gives Petty a brief flash.

Move on to what - journeyman Fitzpatrick , they can't and shouldn't play Petty this year. I  believe Geno should get this season barring disaster or injury, if he underperforms the CS and front office know where their focus should be next year.

Sounds like you're saying if Geno plays worse than a journeyman in TC & Preseason you still play him.

Then you are saying if he plays worse than a journeyman you still play him all the way through week 16.

So tank the season regardless of whether Geno plays like $h*t or not???

Why are people talking about letting a guy take his lumps for 2-4 weeks!!?!??

If he sucks ass, or fitz plays better, by mid August, which I fully expect to happen, he sits his ass on the bench before Labor Day!! Why in the world would we even consider starting a guy for "a fair shake"??

I want to win in 2015, not give some hack a shot then talk about what we're gonna do in 2016 because we're 0-4...or even 0-2. Fitz is starting people!!!! From DAY ONE!!!!

Sounds like you're saying if Geno plays worse than a journeyman in TC & Preseason you still play him.

Then you are saying if he plays worse than a journeyman you still play him all the way through week 16.

So tank the season regardless of whether Geno plays like $h*t or not???

That's exactly what I'm saying , if we go to Fitz permanently our season is toast and our short term future is toast as it means Geno is not the answer. Our hope should be that Geno either becomes the answer or is good enough to bridge us to the next QB hope. I'd only swap out if he's injured or a complete disaster 

Why are people talking about letting a guy take his lumps for 2-4 weeks!!?!??

If he sucks ass, or fitz plays better, by mid August, which I fully expect to happen, he sits his ass on the bench before Labor Day!! Why in the world would we even consider starting a guy for "a fair shake"??

I want to win in 2015, not give some hack a shot then talk about what we're gonna do in 2016 because we're 0-4...or even 0-2. Fitz is starting people!!!! From DAY ONE!!!!

And when Fitz sucks like he has throughout his career what do you do . 

What will Geno's excuse be next year?  Devin Smith was only a rookie? 

Nah the apologists will trot out the tried and trusted "new head coach, new OC and even new receivers" as the reasons why he throws it to the other team so much but that it really is not his fault.

The season after that it will be some kind of vendetta being conducted against him by the head coach.

Honest question, if Geno has a year like last year and has a 1:1 interception to td rate, but yet plays good in the last 4 games, are you Geno lovers going to be wanting to give Geno another year? Are we going to have to listen to some random sh*t about a qb from 10 or more years ago turning the lights on in his 4th year?

That's exactly what I'm saying , if we go to Fitz permanently our season is toast and our short term future is toast as it means Geno is not the answer. Our hope should be that Geno either becomes the answer or is good enough to bridge us to the next QB hope. I'd only swap out if he's injured or a complete disaster

I respect that that is your opinion, however I completely disagree with it.

You are saying you believe Fitz to be very bad (i get that from you saying you expect this season to be toast with Fitz At QB)

Geno would really have to totally s*ck to be worse than Fitz then.

I personally think that if Geno can't make it out of TC & Preseason without at least being in the same ballpark as Fitz then OMG he'll have to s*ck & deserves the bench before week 1.

To each their own

Honest question, if Geno has a year like last year and has a 1:1 interception to td rate, but yet plays good in the last 4 games, are you Geno lovers going to be wanting to give Geno another year? Are we going to have to listen to some random sh*t about a qb from 10 or more years ago turning the lights on in his 4th year?

Nah we'll just start the "smart" QB and watch the season go down the tubes. 

Fitzpatrick put up arguably the best numbers of his career last year at 32 years old. 17 TD's and 8 Turnovers. Im sure that looks great to you and others. Until you look at his game log and realize he kind of SUCKED outside of one very friendly home against in which he threw 6 TD's against the worst defense in the NFL in the titans. 11TD's and 8 Int without that game. Thats throwing to Andre Johnson and the up and coming Deandre Hopkins and a great ground game. The Texans first order of business was getting rid of him. Just like Tenn and Buffalo did years ago.

The offseason came and his team didn't want him. No other team wanted him for anything more then a 7th round pick which says a-lot because that means many teams didn't even want him as a backup. Thats bc he is a turn over machine thats old with literally no upside.

Hes not a starting QB in this league. Hes here to teach Geno the system and be a fall back guy. Nothing more. If Geno falters and we realize he is not the guy hell be here to teach Bryce Petty and a likely 2016 draft pick the offense.

Very astute post

11TD's and 8 Int without that game

hell, while we remove good games from qb's resumes, can we also remove the bad? if that's the case, could we remove geno's first 30 starts and only count the last game he played? we then would be the only team in the league having a qb with a career perfect rating and we could end this silly thread

Ever heard of a guy by the name of Peyton Manning? He once threw 3 Ints ON HIS FIRST 4 PASSES.  I guess he isn't smart enough to read defense, either huh?  

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/peyton-manning-intercepted-times-passing-attempts-atlanta-falcons-beat-denver-broncos-27-21-article-1.1161840

do you actually watch football? There is no comparison and never will be.

I was willing to give Geno the benefit of doubt, until I read about his bad practice. Now I have no hope for him again. Yeah. It's really that simple.

I'll root for Fitzy to rise back to the upper peaks of mediocrity. And lead our team to within pissing range of the playoffs.

I also hope that our weaponz can start bailing out whatever QBdeficiencies we have to cover under center, until we can get a true blue chipper next year. One of those tall, pro-ready, mobile, rocket-arms with good Wonderlic scores.

I hear there's a lot of them coming out next year.

I was willing to give Geno the benefit of doubt, until I read about his bad practice. Now I have no hope for him again. Yeah. It's really that simple.

I'll root for Fitzy to rise back to the upper peaks of mediocrity. And lead our team to within pissing range of the playoffs.

I also hope that our weaponz can start bailing out whatever QBdeficiencies we have to cover under center, until we can get a true blue chipper next year. One of those tall, pro-ready, mobile, rocket-arms with good Wonderlic scores.

I hear there's a lot of them coming out next year.

Jared Goff looks like the best qb out of the crop next year. It'll be interesting to see if he comes out though.

Geno lovers.

There are no Geno lovers. There are people who understand that the new regime's plan is to put Geno Smith in the best position to succeed, and then go from there. That's about it. They see the best case scenario as being Geno Smith getting it. Pretty simple. And that is the best case scenario. Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't taking this team to the promised land this year or any year in the future (not that I have Geno pencilled in for Super Bowl MVP any time soon, either, but he wins the battle of upside against Fitzpatrick). Unable to upgrade the QB position in their first offseason, their intention is to go with the QB on their roster who has the most upside.

If he's terrible, he'll be benched. And there won't be any Geno lovers complaining about it. We'll all ride it out with Fitzpatrick, and become Petty lovers, instead.

Geno lovers.

There are no Geno lovers. There are people who understand that the new regime's plan is to put Geno Smith in the best position to succeed, and then go from there. That's about it. They see the best case scenario as being Geno Smith getting it. Pretty simple. And that is the best case scenario. Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't taking this team to the promised land this year or any year in the future (not that I have Geno pencilled in for Super Bowl MVP any time soon, either, but he wins the battle of upside against Fitzpatrick). Unable to upgrade the QB position in their first offseason, their intention is to go with the QB on their roster who has the most upside.

If he's terrible, he'll be benched. And there won't be any Geno lovers complaining about it. We'll all ride it out with Fitzpatrick, and become Petty lovers, instead.

If Geno 'getting it' is the best case scenario that sucks

Thank God you aren't in charge if you really believe that.   Every heard the expression IT TAKES 3 YEARS TO EVALUATE A DRAFT/PLAYER? 

That's bullsh*t.  If you can't tell a player is sh*tty by Year 2 you deserve to be fired.  The "3 year rule" isn't a rule, and people pretend it's a way to put a blindfold on and ignore horrid decision making skills just because he's "young". 

The 3 year rule is what ended up keeping Mark Sanchez here entirely too long.  It's far better to cut ties too early than too late.  The biggest reason why Geno won't and shouldn't be cut is that he's cheap coming off a 2nd round pick rookie deal.  But that doesn't mean you MUST start him at the most important position in the game to adhere to this imaginary "3 year rule". 

Guess what....it's possible to evaluate a player even when he's not playing in a game.  Let him get practice reps all season long to his heart's content.  Just don't start him, is what I ask.

there are plenty of all pro qbs and hall of famers that would have been cut if you ran the show-year 3 is where they made the marks

No, there aren't, and this is a myth that has been dispelled MANY times even on this board.  There isn't some bevy of QB's who sucked horribly for 2 years then became solid pros, especially not in the current era of QB play where the rules favor them.  Even Eli Manning wasn't nearly as bad his first 2 years as people pretend he was.  The other example people give is Alex Smith, who took many years and a QB whisperer in Harbaugh to finally become an average QB, and was unceremoniously traded when the 49ers found a better option.  Generally front offices and coaching staffs don't have that kind of time to be THAT patient.  You're never winning a title with an Alex Smith anyways so what's the point?

The list of guys who continued to suck is about 50 times longer.  See:  Sanchez, Harrington, Carr, Russell, Couch, Leaf, Akili Smith, Weeden, Leinart, Tebow, Ponder, Grossman, Locker, etc etc etc.  Geno is far more likely to end up on that list.

Same thing with Eli Manning.

Eli Manning threw 48 TD's in his first 2 full seasons as a starter, 24 each season.  Plus 6 in his rookie season when he started the final 7 games.

Geno Smith has thrown 25 TD's TOTAL in his 2 seasons.

The upside for Eli was established pretty nicely even early in his career.  For every boneheaded mistake he also had several moments where he looked the part of a franchise QB and could put points on the board.  Basically he looked like he could become a poor man's Favre.  It's not the worst thing to establish yourself as a gunslinger IF you can make up for the turnovers with a bunch of scoring drives.  It's how Romo has carved out a solid career as well.  Neither will or ever have been known as elite QB's, but they're certainly franchise guys.

Geno has displayed nothing close to Eli Manning's ceiling his first 2 years in the league.  If he did, the turnovers would be far more acceptable.  His upside is putting up something like 24 points in a game, which is not terrific in this league.  His downside is looking completely lost and costing us games.

That's bullsh*t.  If you can't tell a player is sh*tty by Year 2 you deserve to be fired.  The "3 year rule" isn't a rule, and people pretend it's a way to put a blindfold on and ignore horrid decision making skills just because he's "young". 

The 3 year rule is what ended up keeping Mark Sanchez here entirely too long.  It's far better to cut ties too early than too late.  The biggest reason why Geno won't and shouldn't be cut is that he's cheap coming off a 2nd round pick rookie deal.  But that doesn't mean you MUST start him at the most important position in the game to adhere to this imaginary "3 year rule". 

Guess what....it's possible to evaluate a player even when he's not playing in a game.  Let him get practice reps all season long to his heart's content.  Just don't start him, is what I ask.

Whatever fits your agenda.

How long did it take the conquering hero to put it together? 

Jared Goff looks like the best qb out of the crop next year. It'll be interesting to see if he comes out though.

There were people here talking about tanking this season for Connor Cook.

We'll let you know when he does.

I've never made the argument that he's a franchise QB or anything close.  He's a serviceable stop-gap and a much better alternative to the Mark Sanchez/Geno Smith types until we find a true franchise QB in 2016.  What's so hard to understand about this?

I've never made the argument that he's a franchise QB or anything close.  He's a serviceable stop-gap and a much better alternative to the Mark Sanchez/Geno Smith types until we find a true franchise QB in 2016.  What's so hard to understand about this?

geno stinks and will forever stink. some of us don't need 3 years, and seeing him in the perfect situation to realize this. jets will have a dominant defense and a decent running game. a QB that limits mistakes is exactly what this team needs absent a franchise QB. i want to see the bowles era kick off on the right foot rather than live through another hot-seat HC situation when geno sucks eggs this year and then next year we win 5 games breaking in a rookie QB or petty. i want to see wins this year. i don't want to see another top 5 defense squandered. fitzpatrick is clearly the better choice.

geno stinks and will forever stink. some of us don't need 3 years, and seeing him in the perfect situation to realize this. jets will have a dominant defense and a decent running game. a QB that limits mistakes is exactly what this team needs absent a franchise QB. i want to see the bowles era kick off on the right foot rather than live through another hot-seat HC situation when geno sucks eggs this year and then next year we win 5 games breaking in a rookie QB or petty. i want to see wins this year. i don't want to see another top 5 defense squandered. fitzpatrick is clearly the better choice.

The better choice to squander our top 5 defense!

Archived