Bruce Jenner to receive Arthur Ashe courage award.

BallinPB

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To you that may be acceptable but to me not so much. I'm just giving my opinion.

Hence why he is winning an award for courage. This thread wasn't started to praise Bruce Jenner. It was started to bitch about him. He had to know he was going to catch hell. It takes guts to stand up to that. 

If he is the spark to make it acceptable for people to simply be themselves that's a good thing in my opinion. 

Hence why he is winning an award for courage. This thread wasn't started to praise Bruce Jenner. It was started to bitch about him. He had to know he was going to catch hell. It takes guts to stand up to that. 

If he is the spark to make it acceptable for people to simply be themselves that's a good thing in my opinion. 

Me too unless you become something I don;t agree with then I'm going to Bitch. 

I don't see that as courageous. I just think it's weird.

If young boys watch the Kardashians then they deserve whatever they get. Just saying.  Meh, if this is really what he wants to do then so be it.  The media is making this a big deal.  Then again probably the plan from the beginning. 

I don't care what he/she/it wants to do in 'her' personal life, but I can stand behind the idea of this thread (not so much the other stuff about the children and what not). The bolded part is the biggest issue I have with this whole thing.

Giving a transgender a national sports award for courage when 'she' hasn't been related to sports in anyway in over 3 decades- well that's a little much. Firstly, I'm not sure where it took courage when she's had the entire liberal media and the support of the LGBT and kardashian fangirls everywhere, and secondly, she didn't do it in a sporting environment the way someone like Michael Sam did.

If Bruce Jenner were still an active Olympian and took this decision, and went on to fight against the current perceptions and stereotypes while continuing his/her sporting career, then I would totally see the courage award being justified. As it currently stands, I don't. 

I don't care what he/she/it wants to do in 'her' personal life, but I can stand behind the idea of this thread (not so much the other stuff about the children and what not). The bolded part is the biggest issue I have with this whole thing.

Giving a transgender a national sports award for courage when 'she' hasn't been related to sports in anyway in over 3 decades- well that's a little much. Firstly, I'm not sure where it took courage when she's had the entire liberal media and the support of the LGBT and kardashian fangirls everywhere, and secondly, she didn't do it in a sporting environment the way someone like Michael Sam did.

If Bruce Jenner were still an active Olympian and took this decision, and went on to fight against the current perceptions and stereotypes while continuing his/her sporting career, then I would totally see the courage award being justified. As it currently stands, I don't

Not really that familiar with this award before this but I imagine the next person to get it gonna be like, "I won what?"  "Damn you gotta be kidding."

I don't see that as courageous. I just think it's weird.

Oh... it's definitely weird. On that we agree.

I guess where you and I differ is that while I think it's weird, I certainly don't see it as wrong or as something that will negatively impact society. I just don't care. It has no impact on my life. I save my outrage for the truly outrageous, like cheating in football. 

Oh... it's definitely weird. On that we agree.

I guess where you and I differ is that while I think it's weird, I certainly don't see it as wrong or as something that will negatively impact society. I just don't care. It has no impact on my life. I save my outrage for the truly outrageous, like cheating in football. 

Either case we are still dealing with soft balls. 

If Bruce Jenner were still an active Olympian and took this decision, and went on to fight against the current perceptions and stereotypes while continuing his/her sporting career, then I would totally see the courage award being justified. As it currently stands, I don't. 

Robin Roberts wasn't really active in sports when she won it. Pretty sure Nelson Mandela wasn't either. I think we're gonna get through this. Ma god. 

Robin Roberts wasn't really active in sports when she won it. Pretty sure Nelson Mandela wasn't either. I think we're gonna get through this. Ma god. 

its an opportunity for celebrities to feel good about themselves- they're all wacked in their own right anyways. 

its an opportunity for celebrities to feel good about themselves- they're all wacked in their own right anyways. 

Any award ever given to anybody ever is an opportunity for people to feel good about themselves- we're all wack in our own right anyways. 

I want one. 

Robin Roberts: Courageously fighting breast cancer and a bone marrow disease while continuing her active career as a sports media personality.

Nelson Mandela: Courageously fighting oppression, apartheid, and helping to free a nation partly through the power of soccer. He may not have been active in sports at the time, but Arthur Ashe was the founder of "Athletes against Apartheid", so I'll forgive Nelson for winning the Arthur Ashe award there..

Bruce Jenner: courageously becoming a woman 30 years after he/she was relevant in the sporting world. 

Yea, "ma god."

I'm more befuddled at how far you and others have to reach to try to justify this when all I did was simply state why I didn't agree with the presentation of this award simply as a means to further the liberal media's agenda. I mean, comparing Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner to Nelson Mandela and Robin Roberts....really?

Robin Roberts: Courageously fighting breast cancer and a bone marrow disease while continuing her active career as a sports media personality.

Nelson Mandela: Courageously fighting oppression, apartheid, and helping to free a nation partly through the power of soccer. He may not have been active in sports at the time, but Arthur Ashe was the founder of "Athletes against Apartheid", so I'll forgive Nelson for winning the Arthur Ashe award there..

Bruce Jenner: courageously becoming a woman 30 years after he/she was relevant in the sporting world. 

Yea, "ma god."

I'm more befuddled at how far you and others have to reach to try to justify this when all I did was simply state why I didn't agree with the presentation of this award simply as a means to further the liberal media's agenda. I mean, comparing Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner to Nelson Mandela and Robin Roberts....really?

Exactly my point! What justifies him receiving this award. Comparing him to Nelson Mandela and Robin Roberts is a complete joke imho

Yea, "ma god."

It's ok, I GOT THIS ONE GUYS. 

All right, ready for this curve ball Greenwich??

1999. Billy. Jean. King. 

Booya!!!!

I WIN. Woohooooooo!!!!

Yea, "ma god."

I think you are confusing ESPN with a legitimate journalistic enterprise. 

I think Lauren Hill who played basketball while battling brain cancer is just a tad more deserving of this award.

Sadly she would not be the ratings grab that Jenner is.

Friggin disgrace

How many gold medals does Lauren Hill have?

Ok I've fallen and I can't get up. 

It's ok, I GOT THIS ONE GUYS. 

All right, ready for this curve ball Greenwich??

1999. Billy. Jean. King. 

Booya!!!!

I WIN. Woohooooooo!!!!

Once something's done wrong by others in the past, it's ok for us to do it now. -All pats fans and Hess Station. 

No, I'm disagreeing with ESPN's devolution from a legitimate journalistic enterprise.

ESPN was a legitimate journalistic enterprise for about five minutes in the late 90s. 

That waived bye bye to them years ago. The second they secured the rights to 3 of the 4 major sports and became more concerned with protecting the shields they lost any journalistic integrity they once had. 

Archived