Cameron Jordan Signed An Extension ...

KRL

Could this be the structure for Wilkerson's deal???  It seems like NO gave him a

5 year / 55 million (26 guaranteed) extension:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495187/article/saints-cameron-jordan-agree-on-fiveyear-extension

The New Orleans Saints have systematically said goodbye to the defensive pillars that helped them win a Super Bowl five years ago. Now they have identified a new cornerstone. 

The team has agreed to a five-year extension with Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. The extension includes $55 million in new money over the five years. $26 million is in the first two years of the deal, which is practically low-level starting quarterback money.

The Saints are paying the one-time Pro Bowler like a superstar, seeing him as a versatile player that is effective against the run and the pass. Jordan is a safe long-term signing because he can fit in any system. He works well as a 3-4 defensive end, or a 4-3 end that can move inside at times. 

Jordan is also durable. He hasn't missed a game in his career and has racked up 27 sacks over the last three seasons. While he's not exactly a superstar, this is a Saints defense that has been looking for reliable long-term pieces. Jordan is just that. Coach Sean Payton only hopes that some of his young teammates also prove worthy of such a deal in future years. 

I don't know whether or not the contract is correct. I think he got 33.6 million gauranteed.

You are correct Sir.. five-year extension worth up to $60 million, $33.6 million of which is guaranteed. He is expected to earn $27 million over the next two seasons.

I would guess Mo wants/gets more than Jordan. Think he's a better player, and his camp is probably pretty happy about how much Jordan got. Question for Mo and the Jets is how much more, and is he worth it to the Jets with the DL depth. I'd still like to see him back on a fair deal.

Saw him this weekend at a charity basketball event. Big dude in person.

Cryptic tweet by Jets DE Mo Wilkerson sign of frustration over contract?

•  
  • Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer
  •  

A few minutes after New Orleans Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan made news Tuesday by reportedly signing a five-year, $55 million contract extension through 2020, Muhammad Wilkerson took to social media and served up the following cryptic tweet:

Muhammad Wilkerson ✔@mowilkerson

Yup I see how this works

10:50 AM - 2 Jun 2015

98 98 Retweets  110 110 favorites

It's probably not a stretch to say the New York Jets' defensive end was paying attention to the Jordan deal. Clearly, Wilkerson isn't pleased he hasn't landed his own long-term extension.

Jordan became the latest player from the 2011 draft to land a lucrative contract extension. He was picked 24th overall, Wilkerson 30th. Jordan will receive $33.8 million in guarantees, according to FoxSports. Right now, Wilkerson has a guaranteed $6.97 million coming his way -- the amount of his 2015 salary. It's the final year of his deal.

Jordan and Wilkerson have produced similar numbers over their first four seasons (Jordan has 29 sacks, Wilkerson 24.5), so the Jets probably will use Jordan's contract as a benchmark in negotiations. Problem is, Wilkerson is thought to be seeking about $40 million in guarantees and probably an annual average of $14 million.

The Jets don't appear in any rush to lock up Wilkerson, who is staying away from voluntary workouts. The mandatory minicamp is next week, and it wouldn't be a shock if he skips that, too, incurring a hefty fine. General manager Mike Maccagnan has said he wants to extend Wilkerson, but the landscape changed when he drafted Leonard Williams with the No. 6 overall pick

I really like MO, and hope this is all worked out.

Think he is getting bad advice from his agents.  I don't see any advantage  to his not showing up.  This is a contract yer for him.  New defensive scheme.  He needs to be here learning the scheme.  With Williams in camp the FO isn't going to be swayed one bit by a hold out.

Best thing for Wilkerson to do is get his butt in for the mini camp, then have a monster year

I would love to lock up Wilkerson for the long run, but if he isn't happy with a Jordan like deal, than we need to trade him if we can.

There is really no reason the Jets should pay 14 million a year for him.  It is like the Revis situation all over again (except he doesn't have a history of holding out - yet).  An organization has to be reasonable in how they pay out salaries.  The Jets could pay him this year, and if necessary franchise tag him next year for about 22/23 million, why pay him 28/30 over the next 2 years?

Remember he is not the most valuable player on your defense (I would say Revis still is), and he might not even be your most valuable player on the DL either.  If you pay him 14/15 a year, then in 2 years you will have to pay Sheldon that much, etc.  Are we really in an all in mode now that we want to start overpaying our players?

It comes down to:

1. How much the team values the player and what a reasonable deal is

2. How much the player wants

3. What is the player worth on a trade

4. What kind of precedent a team wants to make about player salaries

If Wilkerson wants 3/4 million a year more than what Jordan got and much more guaranteed, I don't see how the Jets can afford to pay him

Man. Sad it came to this. But if we can't afford him then we can't afford him. Trad him for a first and a third/fourth.

Come to what? Everybody relax.

A real decision on Wilk is 2 years away!!! TWO YEARS! The jets have his rights. He has literally said nothing about it- his agents have said nothing about it. The jets have said they want to resign him.

A real decision on Wilk is 2 years away!!! TWO YEARS! The jets have his rights. He has literally said nothing about it- his agents have said nothing about it. The jets have said they want to resign him.

True!!!  Contracts in the NFL are one sided, the team has all the power.  The only power the player has is to

"withhold their services" by not showing up.  The main thing is to keep ALL NEGOTIATIONS out of the media

because they are dying for a juicy story.  If Mo was a free agent the process would be faster but with the Jets

having his rights for two more years things will move slowly

Think he is getting bad advice from his agents.  I don't see any advantage  to his not showing up.  This is a contract yer for him.  New defensive scheme.  He needs to be here learning the scheme.  With Williams in camp the FO isn't going to be swayed one bit by a hold out.

Best thing for Wilkerson to do is get his butt in for the mini camp, then have a monster year

+1 I seem to remember him saying he wasn't the hold out pouting type.. If he goes out and has a Pro Bowl year he can deal from a position of strength not based on his 13 game turf toe season of last year.. If he holds out in the mandatory camp and Williams starts to wow the staff Mo may be writing his own ticket out of town..  :sign0174:

True!!!  Contracts in the NFL are one sided, the team has all the power.  The only power the player has is to

"withhold their services" by not showing up.  The main thing is to keep ALL NEGOTIATIONS out of the media

because they are dying for a juicy story.  If Mo was a free agent the process would be faster but with the Jets

They have to honor what is guaranteed do they not?? You seem to be thinking whats best for Mo and not the NY Jets.. 

I have no doubts they'll get the deal done. I don't look at Mo as a pure mercenary like Revis. I'm a realist and know that the dollar rules all in the NFL, however, something tells me that Mo really wants to stay in NY and be a part of something big with the rest of this d-line.

From Mo's standpoint, Is it really worth taking an extra 2-3 mil a year playing for bumble**** Jax or Cleveland instead of being part of a truly dominant defense in the world's premiere media market? Plus, he has to know that as good as he is, he's not quite on Watt or Quinn's level. Jets and Mo will settle for 10-11 mil per for 5 years and call it a day.

Absolutely correct. He doesn't have any leverage at all right now. I hope he reports.

I have no doubts they'll get the deal done. I don't look at Mo as a pure mercenary like Revis. I'm a realist and know that the dollar rules all in the NFL, however, something tells me that Mo really wants to stay in NY and be a part of something big with the rest of this d-line.

From Mo's standpoint, Is it really worth taking an extra 2-3 mil a year playing for bumble**** Jax or Cleveland instead of being part of a truly dominant defense in the world's premiere media market? Plus, he has to know that as good as he is, he's not quite on Watt or Quinn's level. Jets and Mo will settle for 10-11 mil per for 5 years and call it a day.

Not quite?? If Mo would take 10-11 he would have been signed BEFORE the draft.. :winking0001:

I like Mo, but boy oh boy do fans overrate their players.

I don't put much stock on Pro Bowls because they are, not easy to make, but some pedestrian guys make it every year. Mo has 0 (zero) Pro Bowls.

I don't put much stock on Pro Bowls because they are, not easy to make, but some pedestrian guys make it every year. Mo has 0 (zero) Pro Bowls.

I'd say he's the most overrated player on the d-line (which speaks to the overall strength of the unit). Sheldon is an all-pro caliber talent and easily the best player on the line. Snacks is ridiculosly underrated for his paygrade and will likely be locked up by the Jets before he hits FA. Leonard Williams has the potential to be better than all of them.

Wilkerson is good, but he's not franchise-level good and definitely not good enough to compromise signing the other key players on the line. If Wilkerson wants to stay in NY and be part of something big, he'll need to accept that he's not JJ Watt and doesn't deserve to be paid as such.

I'd say he's the most overrated player on the d-line (which speaks to the overall strength of the unit). Sheldon is an all-pro caliber talent and easily the best player on the line. Snacks is ridiculosly underrated for his paygrade and will likely be locked up by the Jets before he hits FA. Leonard Williams has the potential to be better than all of them.

Wilkerson is good, but he's not franchise-level good and definitely not good enough to compromise signing the other key players on the line. If Wilkerson wants to stay in NY and be part of something big, he'll need to accept that he's not JJ Watt and doesn't deserve to be paid as such.

Agreed on all counts.

Not sure who the hockey fans are here but the Rangers just went through this with Ryan Callahan.

Wilkerson is really overrated by jets fans who act like the sky will fall unless he gets a $100 million extension. Our defense looked the same last year when Wilk was out and Coples lined up at his spot.

Just don't understand this argument.   I can't think of even one situation where the NFL "held out" paying players guaranteed money.  Players do it every year.

Yeah ya read all the time in the media about 4 year  $100,000,000 contracts, that only have $26,000,000 guaranteed over 2 years.  This is actually a 2 year contract, not a 4 year contract.  If the player plays light out, maybe he gets to see the rest of the money, if not, they both move on.

The players know this going in.  It's not the NFL tricking illiterate preteens, these guys have very high priced  lawyers negotiating, and interpreting the contracts for the players.  If they don't like the contract, don't sign it, and go out in the market and see what your services are worth.

If they want to do a dumb thing like hold out, and be fined $14,000 a day, that's their choice.  Just doesn't make any sense.  The percentage of players who wind up getting hammies, high ankle sprains ect. after hold outs is very high.  They might be in shape, but not football shape.  if a player is very valuable to the team, and if he's not there creates a huge hole, the player has the leverage.   In a case where a young player is drafted very  early at your position, who the team would like to get some reps, the player has no leverage.

If you signed the contract, go play.  Show the team, and the rest of the league how good you are and you get the leverage back. 

Wilkerson is really overrated by jets fans who act like the sky will fall unless he gets a $100 million extension. Our defense looked the same last year when Wilk was out and Coples lined up at his spot.

I like Mo but I noticed the same thing we didn't skip a beat.. When Klecko was out you really noticed even though many fans hated Abe he was missed when he didn't play.. Mo not as much..

No the Jets have to either decide to sign him, or trade him. If you really think they have a two year window to decide, you couldn't be more wrong. Here is what I mean ,M Wilkerson misses all of training camp holding out( yes he will get fined) . Now he gets hurt due to fact he missed all training camp, And misses a couple of games. ( happens all the time to players who miss training camp).

Do you really see the Jets guaranting him a contract for 14 million ( under franchise tag) Especially when they already have a much cheaper option on their roster for 4 more years. There are ex Jet coaches( Browns) that would be all over Wilkerson in Fa despite have subpar 2015 due to injury. All the Jets would get back at best is a third rounder( left as fa).

Jmo M Wilkerson will be traded by the Jets before the season starts- they are hoping some big name Defenselineman gets hurt in camp.(could make out real well under that scenario). if that doesn't happen might have to take less( best offer they can get)

Wilkerson is ****ed.  Williams is Wilkerson's replacement.  Richardson is going to be the one they extend.  

No way in hell they pay both Wilkerson and Richardson after drafting Williams.

pretty much.  he will hold out, probably a game or two, but he has no leverage really

Wilkerson is good, but he's not franchise-level good and definitely not good enough to compromise signing the other key players on the line. If Wilkerson wants to stay in NY and be part of something big, he'll need to accept that he's not JJ Watt and doesn't deserve to be paid as such.

Ummmm this 100%

Jets fans are crazy how we over rate the players on our team. No doubt about it Wilk is good just not JJ Watts good!!

pretty much.  he will hold out, probably a game or two, but he has no leverage really

Holding out gets pretty pricey these days.   $14,000 a day, not a game, a day.

If he doesn't show for the mini camp, and holds out till week 2, it's like $784,000.    That would be a pretty expensive point he's making

Holding out gets pretty pricey these days.   $14,000 a day, not a game, a day.

If he doesn't show for the mini camp, and holds out till week 2, it's like $784,000.    That would be a pretty expensive point he's making

if he holds out during the pre-season, each missed pre-season game is a regular game check as well

the thing is, they always find a way to forgive the fines if he does come back to a new deal

Mo & his agent just witnessed his market with the signing of Cameron.

Cameron was actually drafted before Mo in the same draft, has better sack numbers, and here's the kicker, Cameron played with a much worse group around him making it more difficult to get his job done.

Mo has been playing Snacks (rated #1 nose tackle in the league), Coples, Richardson.

The Saints Defense has been pretty bad the last 4 years, I think they played a little better last year.

Mac waited to see what a similar player got as Watt & Quinn were apples to oranges. He got his apples to apples contract he was waiting for. The idea that Mo tweeted about said contract paints the picture.

Archived