Smith Has Edge, but Fitz Looking Better and Better

flgreen

Geno Smith has edge, but Ryan Fitzpatrick looking better and better at Jets camp

Ryan Fitzpatrick has experience running Chan Gailey's offense. AP Photo/Julio Cortez

Kieran Darcy, ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Willie Colon applied some pressure on Geno Smith off the field Tuesday, and Ryan Fitzpatrick did the same on the field Wednesday.

Colon compared the New York Jets' current roster to a Porsche, and said regarding Smith, "We've given him the keys, he can't crash it."

Fitzpatrick -- currently second on the quarterback depth chart behind Smith -- continued to look good during the Jets' latest organized team activities (OTAs), including a long run from scrimmage and a 50-yard touchdown pass to Eric Decker during 7-on-7 drills, the highlight of the day.

Head coach Todd Bowles continues to say Smith is his starter, but that's certainly not set in stone.

"You don't go into [training] camp having two first-team guys," Bowles said. "Geno's the first-team quarterback -- it’s Ryan's job to take it, it's Geno's job to [not] lose it. If he doesn't lose it, and Ryan doesn't take it, he's the starter."

Fitzpatrick, acquired by the Jets from the Houston Texans in March, is still working his way back from a broken leg suffered late last season. But he got lots of reps on Wednesday behind Smith.

"His arm’s a little stronger, he’s getting healthier, obviously still knocking the rust off a little bit," Bowles said. "But as far as understanding what to do and where to go, he’s a pretty sharp guy."

"At this point I’m feeling pretty good," Fitzpatrick said. "There’s still treatments and daily soreness and stuff like that. ... [but] I’m feeling much better now, and I think that’s the goal every week, just to continue to feel better and better, and everything’s on track right now."

One advantage Fitzpatrick has over Smith is a familiarity with the offense that new coordinator Chan Gailey is installing. Fitzpatrick previously played under Gailey in Buffalo.

Fitzpatrick has also been around the block -- the Jets are his sixth team as he enters his 11th season in the NFL -- and he was smart enough to not add more heat to a smoldering quarterback controversy Wednesday.

"This being my sixth different team and really sixth or seventh or eighth different situation that I’ve been in, in terms of being a 4 (on the depth chart) or a 3 or a 2 or a 1, I know I’ve got to be ready," Fitzpatrick said. "I'm always going to be ready, no matter what is said or what is not said. That’s kind of my approach."

He also sidestepped a question about Smith being No. 1 right now.

"With Coach Bowles, the thing that he’s made clear to everybody in this locker room is, you’re going to have to earn your spot," Fitzpatrick said. "If you look at the kind of coach he’s been, and the teams and successes he’s had with his defenses, he’s always played the best guys.

"We’re all in here trying to win, and so I think that’s certainly going to be the case, that he’s going to put the best guys out there."

Who's the Jets' best guy at quarterback? That remains to be seen. It's only June, and these are only OTAs.

Smith still has the edge, but a lot can happen between now and September.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still laugh at all the guys on this board that freaked out when Gailey said that Geno was the number 1 QB. Like Bowles said, someone has to come into camp as the #1. Geno was the incumbent and Fitz was coming off an injury so it was a no-brainer to name Geno the #1. It meant absolutely  nothing. If Geno plays like he did last year, Fitz will be the QB in week 1. 

I still laugh at all the guys on this board that freaked out when Gailey said that Geno was the number 1 QB. Like Bowles said, someone has to come into camp as the #1. Geno was the incumbent and Fitz was coming off an injury so it was a no-brainer to name Geno the #1. It meant absolutely  nothing. If Geno plays like he did last year, Fitz will be the QB in week 1. 

True.

just end this charade 

Geno isn't a starter, he's done nothing to deserve that starting job, and this front office has nothing invested in him. 

Any half decent QB (fitz included) will easily beat Geno in a fair competition

He makes too many awful mistakes. the only competitions Geno can win are the ones that are rigged 

I dunno whether Colon's statements are something that coaching staff wanted him to say as some kindda light the fire under the....... If not, he should be kicked out of the team for inciting unnecessary press coverage and derision on the team.

The coaches will go with the guy they think is better of the two options. So i am not worried that Geno will see the field if he does not deserve it. Period.

just end this charade 

Geno isn't a starter, he's done nothing to deserve that starting job, and this front office has nothing invested in him. 

Any half decent QB (fitz included) will easily beat Geno in a fair competition

He makes too many awful mistakes. the only competitions Geno can win are the ones that are rigged 

Dude lets not get carried away about an article in June OTAs okay?  

I think people are getting caught up in team-speak, failing to realize they are having a competition. They're just not calling it a competition (yet).

Smith has the head start as the incumbent starter. After that, if Fitzgerald can't prove he's clearly better than Geno then there's really no point in going with him either. If he does show it, which shouldn't be too difficult if things continue as they started, then Geno will be holding more clipboards than footballs when the season starts.

I'm fine with it.  If Smith is badly outplayed and Bowles still goes with him anyway, then pitchforks shall be sharpened and torches lit.

We haven't even made it to training camp yet and this is already the most annoying QB competition I can ever remember witnessing.

We have two terrible options.  Period.  

If we're going to somehow make the playoffs, it's going to be up to the defense to literally drag the team there.

I think people are getting caught up in team-speak, failing to realize they are having a competition. They're just not calling it a competition (yet).

Smith has the head start as the incumbent starter. After that, if Fitzgerald can't prove he's clearly better than Geno then there's really no point in going with him either. If he does show it, which shouldn't be too difficult if things continue as they started, then Geno will be holding more clipboards than footballs when the season starts.

I'm fine with it.  If Smith is badly outplayed and Bowles still goes with him anyway, then pitchforks shall be sharpened and torches lit.

Even if Smith outplays Fitz or they are "even" and Smith gets the job the pitchforks and torches will be lit.  Really doesn't matter what Geno does.  A large part of the fan base just wants him gone, period. 

Colon compared the New York Jets' current roster to a Porsche, and said regarding Smith, "We've given him the keys, he can't crash it."

Who is this "we" Colon is referring to, like he's part of the Porsche being handed to Smith (or however he put it), and partly responsible for handing said keys over as well?

What an ass.

Who is this "we" Colon is referring to, like he's part of the Porsche being handed to Smith (or however he put it), and partly responsible for handing said keys over as well?

What an ass.

Yeah that is a ****ed up thing to say but I am starting to get the impression that perhaps he is not the only player who feels that way...  

Yeah that is a ****ed up thing to say but I am starting to get the impression that perhaps he is not the only player who feels that way...  

I'm sure there are players on the team that feel that way.  I'd be surprised if they don't. 

But, that's something that you keep in-house.  A "leader", like people seem to like to call Colon, would have said it to Geno's face in the locker room and that would have been it.  A "leader" doesn't air the team's dirty laundry in public.

Even if Smith outplays Fitz or they are "even" and Smith gets the job the pitchforks and torches will be lit.  Really doesn't matter what Geno does.  A large part of the fan base just wants him gone, period. 

For virtually all of them, I think it's because he's been so terrible. You can hardly blame them. And most of the remaining percentage is just those few who will root for failure to be proven right. I think that's few people in reality, though, no matter how strongly personal it's made here.

If he clearly wins the job by noticeably outplaying Fitzpatrick, even those who are no fans of Smith's will realize it was an obvious decision.

I'm sure there are players on the team that feel that way.  I'd be surprised if they don't. 

But, that's something that you keep in-house.  A "leader", like people seem to like to call Colon, would have said it to Geno's face in the locker room and that would have been it.  A "leader" doesn't air the team's dirty laundry in public.

Totally agree.  The sooner this big mouth is cut, the better. 

A leader doesn't even air it out to the rest of the team, even in the absence of a reporter's mike being near his big fat mouth.

A leader doesn't even air it out to the rest of the team, even in the absence of a reporter's mike being near his big fat mouth.

No, but if he feels like something needs to be said to Geno, and Geno alone, then that's fine.  You pull Geno aside, say what you need to say, and move on.  You don't find the nearest podium and microphone and announce it to the entire world.

For virtually all of them, I think it's because he's been so terrible. You can hardly blame them. And most of the remaining percentage is just those few who will root for failure to be proven right. I think that's few people in reality, though, no matter how strongly personal it's made here.

If he clearly wins the job by noticeably outplaying Fitzpatrick, even those who are no fans of Smith's will realize it was an obvious decision.

I would like to believe this but based on the reactions on this board I don't think that will be the case.     There are way too many fans who are INVESTED in him failing.  For him to do otherwise would be unacceptable. 

No, but if he feels like something needs to be said to Geno, and Geno alone, then that's fine.  You pull Geno aside, say what you need to say, and move on.  You don't find the nearest podium and microphone and announce it to the entire world.

Yes, and I said that almost word for word in the other thread an hour or so ago. That if he feels it's necessary to say this, he says it to Geno privately and no one else. That's what a leader does. Colon is no leader. And like he's so awesome himself. It almost stinks of him trying to get the mob on his side so fingers don't get pointed at #66.

It almost stinks of him trying to get the mob on his side so fingers don't get pointed at #66.

That's exactly what it is.  There's got to be some way to shift the blame and focus to Geno when he false starts for the third time in a game.

I would like to believe this but based on the reactions on this board I don't think that will be the case. There are way too many fans who are INVESTED in him failing. For him to do otherwise would be unacceptable.

Wtf are you even talking about. Invested? What the hell has anyone invested? The risk of being wrong on the Internet. Oh noez! Pretty sure we'd all be jizzing all over the place if Geno turned into something worth watching.

I can't lie: I'm a little bit excited about FitzMagic being the QB. Yes, he's meh, but he's a scrapper who won't humiliate himself. This is a major step up.

he takes dumb risks and turns it over as much as geno.  the good news is sometimes the risks pay off

very up and down guy

What an ass.

yes. he isn't even a hubcap

Wtf are you even talking about. Invested? What the hell has anyone invested? The risk of being wrong on the Internet. Oh noez! Pretty sure we'd all be jizzing all over the place if Geno turned into something worth watching.

nobody in their right minds wants to see geno fail. I sure don't. however, after watching him play for 2 seasons, he has to be considered a long shot at this point,no?

nobody in their right minds wants to see geno fail. I sure don't. however, after watching him play for 2 seasons, he has to be considered a long shot at this point,no?

Geno sucks. And probably will continue to suck this year because math. I also think he's an insufferable, entitled douchebag who should have been cut after last season. That said, in the unlikely event that he became the franchise quarterback that this team has sorely needed my entire life, I would do whatever the sports gods demand. I would become a vegan and suck dick while listening to Nickelback on repeat and only watch Adam Sandler movies for the rest of my life if they asked. That's how not personally invested I am in anything he's done up until this point.

Geno sucks. And probably will continue to suck this year because math. I also think he's an insufferable, entitled douchebag who should have been cut after last season. That said, in the unlikely event that he became the franchise quarterback that this team has sorely needed my entire life, I would do whatever the sports gods demand. I would become a vegan and suck dick while listening to Nickelback on repeat and only watch Adam Sandler movies for the rest of my life if they asked. That's how not personally invested I am in anything he's done up until this point.

F*G!!!

Make it Justin Bieber and you have a deal

he doesn't tho

In the last 2 years Geno has had 34 interceptions. Fitz has 20.  and that's not even considering fumbles. 

And Geno has started 8 more games so their int rates are pretty damn close. 

If you look at his last two full season in Buffalo, 32 Games 39 ints , so this theory that Fitz doesn't turn the ball over is false. 

Archived