Smith Has Edge, but Fitz Looking Better and Better

flgreen

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno sucks. And probably will continue to suck this year because math. I also think he's an insufferable, entitled douchebag who should have been cut after last season. That said, in the unlikely event that he became the franchise quarterback that this team has sorely needed my entire life, I would do whatever the sports gods demand. I would become a vegan and suck dick while listening to Nickelback on repeat and only watch Adam Sandler movies for the rest of my life if they asked. That's how not personally invested I am in anything he's done up until this point.

And, just like that, hundreds of men, women, and children came to be invested in the future of one Geno Smith.

Focused And Healthy, Fitzpatrick Ready To Make Most Of His Opportunity With Jets

Veteran Quarterback Looks Good During 7-On-7 Drills On Wednesday

June 3, 2015 6:37 PM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Ryan Fitzpatrick has been in this spot many times throughout his NFL career.

The veteran quarterback is the backup, not the New York Jets’ projected starter right now. That label belongs to Geno Smith, who’s coming off two shaky seasons.

Fitzpatrick is fine with that for now. He knows things can change, just as they did for him in St. Louis, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Tennessee and Houston — all stops in which he became his team’s starting quarterback.

“That’s kind of been a lot of my career, not necessarily being the guy right away and having to step in, and not having there be any sort of drop-off,” Fitzpatrick said after practice Wednesday. “That’s something that I pride myself on: Whether I’m the Day 1 starter or I’m the third-string guy, when I go in there, I’m going to be ready to be able to execute.”

The Jets are counting on that, just in case Smith fails to show he’s “the guy.”

Smith will go into training camp next month as the No. 1 quarterback on the depth chart, and it’s up to him to remain there.

“You don’t go into camp having two first-team guys,” coach Todd Bowles said. “Geno’s the first-team quarterback. It’s Ryan’s job to take it, and it’s Geno’s job to (not) lose it. If he doesn’t lose it, and Ryan doesn’t take it, he’s the starter.”

Smith has been inconsistent during his first two seasons, with glimmers of solid play overshadowed at times by glaring mistakes that have led to him being benched. He has 25 touchdown passes and an eye-popping 34 interceptions, with some opponents saying he stares down his receivers.

With new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey in the fold, his spread tendencies seem to play into Smith’s strengths. New general manager also added some playmakers on offense, trading for wide receiver Brandon Marshall and running back Zac Stacy, signing running back Stevan Ridley and adding depth to the offensive line. As guard Willie Colon said during an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday, the Jets “bought the Porsche, we’ve given (Smith) the keys, he can’t crash it.”

Bowles downplayed Colon’s comments, saying that he didn’t think the lineman was being overly critical of Smith, but added that he prefers a player not say anything about a teammate if they have nothing good to say.

“I don’t know what kind of car we have yet,” Bowles said, smiling. “We’re still building it. There’s a lot of parts to be determined in that.”

Starting with the quarterback, of course.

Fitzpatrick is 32 and hardly the future of the franchise. But, he could very well be the quarterback when Week 1 rolls around.

“With Coach Bowles, the thing that he’s made clear to everybody in this locker room is, you’re going to have to earn your spot,” Fitzpatrick said.

Fitzpatrick looked good Wednesday, zipping tight spirals around the field and lofting a pretty TD pass of about 50 yards to Eric Decker for a touchdown during 7-on-7 drills. Not bad for a guy who had his season end prematurely last December when he broke his left leg during a game.

“At this point, I’m feeling pretty good,” Fitzpatrick said. “There’s still treatments and daily soreness and stuff like that.”

On a long scramble during practice, Fitzpatrick showed no signs of tentativeness. He’s expected to be fully ready for the start of training camp.

“Everything’s on track right now,” he said.

Bowles likes what he has seen from Fitzpatrick, calling him “a pretty sharp guy” who has a good understanding of the offense despite being limited in the offseason. That’s to be expected, of course, from a Harvard grad. The physical improvement has been a big positive, though.

“His arm’s a little stronger and he’s getting healthier,” Bowles said. “Obviously still knocking the rust off a little bit.”

Fitzpatrick’s familiarity with Gailey’s offense was a major reason the Jets traded for him in March, giving them a veteran with success in the league. Last year with the Texans, Fitzpatrick threw for 2,483 yards with 17 touchdowns — including a franchise-record six against Tennessee last November — and just eight interceptions, and a career-best 95.3 passer rating in 12 games as the starter.

“This being my sixth different team and really sixth or seventh or eighth different situation that I’ve been in, in terms of being a No. 4 or a 3 or a 2 or a 1 (on the depth chart), I know I’ve got to be ready,” Fitzpatrick said. “I’m always going to be ready, no matter what is said or what is not said. That’s kind of my approach.”

(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

he doesn't tho

In the last 2 years Geno has had 34 interceptions. Fitz has 20.  and that's not even considering fumbles. 

yes he does.  when he was a bill I didn't fear him because he was always good for the killer 4th quarter turnover

look at his entire career

very up and down, load of turnovers

"Bowles downplayed Colon’s comments, saying that he didn’t think the lineman was being overly critical of Smith, but added that he prefers a player not say anything about a teammate if they have nothing good to say.

“I don’t know what kind of car we have yet,” Bowles said, smiling. “We’re still building it. There’s a lot of parts to be determined in that.”

Starting with the quarterback, of course."

I just loved the way Bowles handled the whole Colon situation here.  Saying in effect "cut it out" but not saying guys don't have a right to their own opinions.

Bowles has his feet on the ground and is looking to make sure the men on the team follow his lead.

I dunno whether Colon's statements are something that coaching staff wanted him to say as some kindda light the fire under the....... If not, he should be kicked out of the team for inciting unnecessary press coverage and derision on the team.

The coaches will go with the guy they think is better of the two options. So i am not worried that Geno will see the field if he does not deserve it. Period.

Seriously I just said today, when the hell is Colon going to shut the **** up, Loud Mouth isn't here anymore, if he wants to keep talking to the media then go to Buf.

just end this charade 

Geno isn't a starter, he's done nothing to deserve that starting job, and this front office has nothing invested in him. 

Any half decent QB (fitz included) will easily beat Geno in a fair competition

He makes too many awful mistakes. the only competitions Geno can win are the ones that are rigged

Then why not let it play out? Why hand it to a scrub because you think Genos a bigger scrub?

I would hope that Fitz looks good and is coming on. He's playing in an offense that he knows like the back of his hand. He should have a huge edge today in the first week of June during OTAs with Geno learning another new offense.

Shocking

I can't lie: I'm a little bit excited about FitzMagic being the QB. Yes, he's meh, but he's a scrapper who won't humiliate himself. This is a major step up.

You might be right but what a scary proposition. Geno pulled some Houdini moves to get out of jail breaks where if the same thing happens Fitz will be crushed like an ant.

If Fitz does start we'll find out very quickly whether the Oline didn't hold up last year or if Geno was holding the ball too long. The one thing we do know? Colon needs to stop being the mouthpiece of the Jets, if he starts we're already in trouble.

For virtually all of them, I think it's because he's been so terrible. You can hardly blame them. And most of the remaining percentage is just those few who will root for failure to be proven right. I think that's few people in reality, though, no matter how strongly personal it's made here.

If he clearly wins the job by noticeably outplaying Fitzpatrick, even those who are no fans of Smith's will realize it was an obvious decision.

There are a lot of people on the site who just hate Geno, and that is fine.  Opinions are fine.  What I find a little offensive are the remarks about Geno's intelligence.  I have seen no evidence of lack of intelligence.  Missing one meeting does not make a person an idiot.  As for his performance, fine.  Hate away.  But to attribute that to some lack of intelligence, well, that is a little much.  I still say it is a competition, but Geno needs to be given some reps to put him on a level playing field with Fitz, who has the system in his back pocket.

Yeah that is a ****ed up thing to say but I am starting to get the impression that perhaps he is not the only player who feels that way...  

Willie considers himself a virtual assistant coach. WE get a lot of post game commentary too from Commander FS.

No, but if he feels like something needs to be said to Geno, and Geno alone, then that's fine.  You pull Geno aside, say what you need to say, and move on.  You don't find the nearest podium and microphone and announce it to the entire world.

I've heard it said over and over that Geno has all the tools and that his problems are in his head.  To me that sounds like he's a choke artist.  If that is what they think of him in the locker room then calling him out might be the best thing for it.  Let him know it's time to step it up or sit it out.  

Does anyone else around here have a fool proof formula to cure choking? Because keeping it in house hasn't seemed to work so far.

Fitzpatrick continued to look good during the Jets' latest organized team activities (OTAs), including a long run from scrimmage and a 50-yard touchdown pass to Eric Decker during 7-on-7 drills, the highlight of the day.

I have the weirdest boner right now.

I would like to believe this but based on the reactions on this board I don't think that will be the case.     There are way too many fans who are INVESTED in him failing.  For him to do otherwise would be unacceptable. 

I am only invested in Geno's failure in that I am a human and like to be right.  But deep down I would be ecstatic if Geno somehow proved me wrong and had the lightswitch turn on.  I just don't think he has any ability to do so.

I root for the uniform far more than any one player.  Whoever the best QB is is who I want in there.  Which I am very confident that that is Fitz this year.

I can't lie: I'm a little bit excited about FitzMagic being the QB. Yes, he's meh, but he's a scrapper who won't humiliate himself. This is a major step up.

The JiF-Pac coalition has met it's match in the Shane-80 coalition, both in grossness and in intellect.  WHO ELSE IS WITH US???

You might be right but what a scary proposition. Geno pulled some Houdini moves to get out of jail breaks where if the same thing happens Fitz will be crushed like an ant.

If Fitz does start we'll find out very quickly whether the Oline didn't hold up last year or if Geno was holding the ball too long. The one thing we do know? Colon needs to stop being the mouthpiece of the Jets, if he starts we're already in trouble.

I saw one of those FO stats the other day. The Jets led the league last year in sacks given up despite relatively good protection. That's Geno.

Same here. He isn't anything special, but I've always kind of liked him.

Just end this charade already. Fitz is undoubtedly the better QB and it shows on the field. The fact that Geno has yet to separate himself - after a full off-season of training and preparation - from a gimpy Fitz coming off surgery tells you all you need to know. Fitz isn't a world-beater, but he can make the throws and can be trusted to manage games with the league's top defense behind him. That's all we need this year - someone to not actively lose us games. Geno, on the other hand, is a proven liability and will actively lose us games if we keep him in there. It's that simple.

No more talk about 'potential' or any other buzzwords the organization tries to throw at us. The Rex Ryan administration is over with, along with the propensity to promote crappy QBs to starting roles that they shouldn't be playing. I fully expect Bowles to let down the hammer by the end of camp/first week of preseason. Bowles isn't going to alienate Geno or anyone right off the bat, nor would I want him to. Deep down, however, he has to know that Geno isn't the answer this year or for the long run.

Just end this charade already. Fitz is undoubtedly the better QB and it shows on the field. The fact that Geno has yet to separate himself - after a full off-season of training and preparation - from a gimpy Fitz coming off surgery tells you all you need to know. Fitz isn't a world-beater, but he can make the throws and can be trusted to manage games with the league's top defense behind him. That's all we need this year - someone to not actively lose us games. Geno, on the other hand, is a proven liability and will actively lose us games if we keep him in there. It's that simple.

No more talk about 'potential' or any other buzzwords the organization tries to throw at us. The Rex Ryan administration is over with, along with the propensity to promote crappy QBs to starting roles that they shouldn't be playing. I fully expect Bowles to let down the hammer by the end of camp/first week of preseason. Bowles isn't going to alienate Geno or anyone right off the bat, nor would I want him to. Deep down, however, he has to know that Geno isn't the answer this year or for the long run.

Pretty much.  The coaching staff deserves credit for attempting to look at Geno with fresh eyes and take the time to do their own evaluations, even though they have zero ties or responsibility to him.  It's difficult to cast off any young player with physical abilities.  Plus all coaches out there enter a situation like this thinking they can be the ones to "fix" a guy. 

Archived