Smith Has Edge, but Fitz Looking Better and Better

flgreen

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just end this charade already. Fitz is undoubtedly the better QB and it shows on the field. The fact that Geno has yet to separate himself - after a full off-season of training and preparation - from a gimpy Fitz coming off surgery tells you all you need to know. Fitz isn't a world-beater, but he can make the throws and can be trusted to manage games with the league's top defense behind him. That's all we need this year - someone to not actively lose us games. Geno, on the other hand, is a proven liability and will actively lose us games if we keep him in there. It's that simple.

No more talk about 'potential' or any other buzzwords the organization tries to throw at us. The Rex Ryan administration is over with, along with the propensity to promote crappy QBs to starting roles that they shouldn't be playing. I fully expect Bowles to let down the hammer by the end of camp/first week of preseason. Bowles isn't going to alienate Geno or anyone right off the bat, nor would I want him to. Deep down, however, he has to know that Geno isn't the answer this year or for the long run.

Yes, we had such a sterling history of non-crappy starting QBs before Rex rolled along.

Yes, we had such a sterling history of non-crappy starting QBs before Rex rolled along.

Rex's biggest mistake was signing off on Sanchez instead of flying out to Mississippi to talk Favre out of retirement, which he stated at the time was the Plan B.  Favre might have laughed at him, seeing as he didn't like his time in NYC, but it still would have been worth the gamble.

He's a wicked nice, smaht, Irish Hahvard boy. How can you not love him?

It has nothing to do with him being Irish or anything like that.

Those Bills teams he played on were largely made up of unheralded players. Even as a fan of a rival, I felt they were easy to root for. A scrappy team of nobodies, and he was their QB. A late round pick from a school that's about the furthest thing from a football powerhouse as you can find. 

Plus I'm a fanatical home brewer, and craft beer freak, and he sports an awesome brewer's beard.  It's hard for me not to like him.

Rex's biggest mistake was signing off on Sanchez instead of flying out to Mississippi to talk Favre out of retirement, which he stated at the time was the Plan B.  Favre might have laughed at him, seeing as he didn't like his time in NYC, but it still would have been worth the gamble.

Favre had been planning to go to Vikings for years.  He loved the rivalry.  There was no chance of that working and the begging would have been sad.  I do think they should have forced Favre's hand a bit more, but they had to resolve it before the draft. 

He would have been a good match for Rex.  A big enough personality and arm to make up for lesser talent around him and make a conservative game plan scary

Pretty much.  The coaching staff deserves credit for attempting to look at Geno with fresh eyes and take the time to do their own evaluations, even though they have zero ties or responsibility to him.  It's difficult to cast off any young player with physical abilities.  Plus all coaches out there enter a situation like this thinking they can be the ones to "fix" a guy. 

I seriously can't wait until Geno is named the starter.  The tears that will be shed here will be high comedy.

From the way you babble about you clearly haven't seen Fitzpatrick play but let me clue you in on something...  he sucks.  Good QB's don't go to 6 teams before their 33rd birthday.  I live in Bills country and "Fitzmagic" had a terrible penchant for throwing an INT at the worst possible time.  The difference is he was doing it with better talent than Geno has ever had.

There is a reason the guy who coached him for years scoffed at the notion he would be starting.

In the meantime continue on with your little fantasy where Fitzy is a way better QB then Geno..  it will only serve to make you stay in the fetal position that much longer when Geno gets the nod.

I seriously can't wait until Geno is named the starter.  The tears that will be shed here will be high comedy.

From the way you babble about you clearly haven't seen Fitzpatrick play but let me clue you in on something...  he sucks.  Good QB's don't go to 6 teams before they're 33rd birthday.  I live in Bills country and "Fitzmagic" had a terrible penchant for throwing an INT at the worst possible time.  The difference is he was doing it with better talent than Geno has ever had.

There is a reason the guy who coached him for years scoffed at the notion he would be starting.

In the meantime continue on with your little fantasy where Fitzy is a way better QB then Geno..  it will only serve to make you stay in the fetal position that much longer when Geno gets the nod.

It's such a shame you hold such low standards for QBs. Geno is statistically the worst QB in the NFL. Over the last two years, he has ranked 34th in the league overall. That means that every QB in the NFL - along with two BACKUPS - were objectively better than him at the position. By definition, he is anything BUT a starting NFL QB. There is absolutely zero reason to defend Geno. Zero.

It's such a shame you hold such low standards for QBs. Geno is statistically the worst QB in the NFL. Over the last two years, he has ranked 34th in the league overall. That means that every QB in the NFL - along with two BACKUPS - were objectively better than him at the position. By definition, he is anything BUT a starting NFL QB. There is absolutely zero reason to defend Geno. Zero.

Pac is legitimately the worst evaluator of QB play I've ever seen anywhere.

From the way you babble about you clearly haven't seen Fitzpatrick play but let me clue you in on something...  he sucks.  Good QB's don't go to 6 teams before they're 33rd birthday.  I live in Bills country and "Fitzmagic" had a terrible penchant for throwing an INT at the worst possible time.  The difference is he was doing it with better talent than Geno has ever had.

Let's see ... do we want a QB who's still playing at 33 or a QB who'd be better off playing in a developmental league in Scotland ... hmm, tough call.

It's such a shame you hold such low standards for QBs. Geno is statistically the worst QB in the NFL. Over the last two years, he has ranked 34th in the league overall. That means that every QB in the NFL - along with two BACKUPS - were objectively better than him at the position. By definition, he is anything BUT a starting NFL QB. There is absolutely zero reason to defend Geno. Zero.

I think the idea, or the hope, is that Geno will be noticeably better this year than in the past. If he isn't, then Fitzgerald is the QB.

No one wants Smith to start if he's going to look like the past. Though statistically, when he came back from being benched (with 3 healthy and legitimate NFL receivers, and a rookie TE further removed from his summer cluelessness), his passer rating was about average heading into the last game (games 11-15 was 82.2, throwing in the perfect week 16 made it 98.3 over those last 5.5 games).

Now he still, in those games would do things like taking a long sack that took the team out of FG range (think he did it a couple of times), but a young QB has to have the coach talking into his helmet reminding him of that before the ball is snapped ("Remember, it's a close game and we're in FG range. Under no circumstances can you take a sack here. Throw it away if you don't see it.").  So there's more to being the QB than just passer rating.

I expect him to lose the job sooner or later, but hope he actually can put it together. Certainly not off to a good start.

Geno Smith has edge, but Ryan Fitzpatrick looking better and better at Jets camp

Ryan Fitzpatrick has experience running Chan Gailey's offense. AP Photo/Julio Cortez

Kieran Darcy, ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Willie Colon applied some pressure on Geno Smith off the field Tuesday, and Ryan Fitzpatrick did the same on the field Wednesday.

Colon compared the New York Jets' current roster to a Porsche, and said regarding Smith, "We've given him the keys, he can't crash it."

Fitzpatrick -- currently second on the quarterback depth chart behind Smith -- continued to look good during the Jets' latest organized team activities (OTAs), including a long run from scrimmage and a 50-yard touchdown pass to Eric Decker during 7-on-7 drills, the highlight of the day.

Head coach Todd Bowles continues to say Smith is his starter, but that's certainly not set in stone.

"You don't go into [training] camp having two first-team guys," Bowles said. "Geno's the first-team quarterback -- it’s Ryan's job to take it, it's Geno's job to [not] lose it. If he doesn't lose it, and Ryan doesn't take it, he's the starter."

Fitzpatrick, acquired by the Jets from the Houston Texans in March, is still working his way back from a broken leg suffered late last season. But he got lots of reps on Wednesday behind Smith.

"His arm’s a little stronger, he’s getting healthier, obviously still knocking the rust off a little bit," Bowles said. "But as far as understanding what to do and where to go, he’s a pretty sharp guy."

"At this point I’m feeling pretty good," Fitzpatrick said. "There’s still treatments and daily soreness and stuff like that. ... [but] I’m feeling much better now, and I think that’s the goal every week, just to continue to feel better and better, and everything’s on track right now."

One advantage Fitzpatrick has over Smith is a familiarity with the offense that new coordinator Chan Gailey is installing. Fitzpatrick previously played under Gailey in Buffalo.

Fitzpatrick has also been around the block -- the Jets are his sixth team as he enters his 11th season in the NFL -- and he was smart enough to not add more heat to a smoldering quarterback controversy Wednesday.

"This being my sixth different team and really sixth or seventh or eighth different situation that I’ve been in, in terms of being a 4 (on the depth chart) or a 3 or a 2 or a 1, I know I’ve got to be ready," Fitzpatrick said. "I'm always going to be ready, no matter what is said or what is not said. That’s kind of my approach."

He also sidestepped a question about Smith being No. 1 right now.

"With Coach Bowles, the thing that he’s made clear to everybody in this locker room is, you’re going to have to earn your spot," Fitzpatrick said. "If you look at the kind of coach he’s been, and the teams and successes he’s had with his defenses, he’s always played the best guys.

"We’re all in here trying to win, and so I think that’s certainly going to be the case, that he’s going to put the best guys out there."

Who's the Jets' best guy at quarterback? That remains to be seen. It's only June, and these are only OTAs.

Smith still has the edge, but a lot can happen between now and September.

with a Top5 Defense a real possibility I dont see how a Vet who 100% knows Chan's playbook doesnt give Jets a better chance to get to playoffs in 2015.

I think the idea, or the hope, is that Geno will be noticeably better this year than in the past. If he isn't, then Fitzgerald is the QB.

No one wants Smith to start if he's going to look like the past. Though statistically, when he came back from being benched (with 3 healthy and legitimate NFL receivers, and a rookie TE further removed from his summer cluelessness), his passer rating was about average heading into the last game (games 11-15 was 82.2, throwing in the perfect week 16 made it 98.3 over those last 5.5 games).

Now he still, in those games would do things like taking a long sack that took the team out of FG range (think he did it a couple of times), but a young QB has to have the coach talking into his helmet reminding him of that before the ball is snapped ("Remember, it's a close game and we're in FG range. Under no circumstances can you take a sack here. Throw it away if you don't see it.").  So there's more to being the QB than just passer rating.

I expect him to lose the job sooner or later, but hope he actually can put it together. Certainly not off to a good start.

This is the year......  players like ELI for example didnt really stand out until year 3. If he looks anything like the Geno of 2013-2014, Ill play QB.

Keep in mind that Fitzpatrick has had the worst defensive support of any QB over the last five years - many of his turnovers occurred in the second half of games when he was forced to score points and play catch up. When the team plays halfway decently around him, he is solid.

Keep in mind that Fitzpatrick has had the worst defensive support of any QB over the last five years - many of his turnovers occurred in the second half of games when he was forced to score points and play catch up. When the team plays halfway decently around him, he is solid.

Namaste.  Solid first post.

This is the year......  players like ELI for example didnt really stand out until year 3. If he looks anything like the Geno of 2013-2014, Ill play QB.

I think that's the way the CS sees it as well. They're not blind. It's one thing to force him in there when there are no other serious options, or when the season's down the tubes already anyway.

But if, in year 3 and with a stud receiving corps, he still looks the same? Yeah, then he has about as much value at QB as you do.

What nonsense.  Geno is a bigger turnover machine than Fitz.  Just look at the numbers.  And it has little to do with what weapons each had.  They are both turnover machines and Geno's are also at the worst possible times.  THey both suck.  Whoever plays better in preseason should be the starter.  Until we draft the next Jets QB in 2016.

What nonsense.  Geno is a bigger turnover machine than Fitz.  Just look at the numbers.  And it has little to do with what weapons each had.  They are both turnover machines and Geno's are also at the worst possible times.  THey both suck.  Whoever plays better in preseason should be the starter.  Until we draft the next Jets QB in 2016.

agree up until last sentence. I think Mac had his eye on Petty over winston/mariotta from Day One. I think Mac feels Petty was best QB in draft.

agree up until last sentence. I think Mac had his eye on Petty over winston/mariotta from Day One. I think Mac feels Petty was best QB in draft.

based on what?  I've read every quote from Mac since he was hired.  Not one indicates any of this. 

based on what?  I've read every quote from Mac since he was hired.  Not one indicates any of this. 

My instinct, thats it. They didnt draft Petty not to compete for starter in 2016. My guess is Petty is 2016 starter if not before.

This is getting old...and we have three months until the end of August!!! Ugh. And it's just gonna heat up when camp starts. Yet here I am reading and responding again....we need some other news. I hope they sign Mo soon so we can all debate that for a while.

I am a believer in Bowles and I trust he will make the best decision for the 2015-16 season. I expect Geno makes that decision easy for the HC by sh*tting the bed in preseason.

This is getting old...and we have three months until the end of August!!! Ugh. And it's just gonna heat up when camp starts. Yet here I am reading and responding again....we need some other news. I hope they sign Mo soon so we can all debate that for a while.

I am a believer in Bowles and I trust he will make the best decision for the 2015-16 season. I expect Geno makes that decision easy for the HC by sh*tting the bed in preseason.

agree,,,,on all points...........

He may not be good but he's probably better than Geno is the point

Winston is pro-ready, every other QB in the draft was a project at best. Although I'll agree that Petty has far more upside than Mariota. MM was way over-drafted, only because Locker sucked and the Titans need a prayer at QB. He'll be the latest in the line of over-hyped spread QBs who fail in the NFL.

I still laugh at all the guys on this board that freaked out when Gailey said that Geno was the number 1 QB. Like Bowles said, someone has to come into camp as the #1. Geno was the incumbent and Fitz was coming off an injury so it was a no-brainer to name Geno the #1. It meant absolutely nothing. If Geno plays like he did last year, Fitz will be the QB in week 1.

I think they just wanted a ceremonial execution of Geno. It's not enough if Fitz earns the job and becomes the week 1 starter Geno has to be demoted to 4th string and/or cut from day 1 of training camp

lol Fitz doesn't suck. He's a textbook JAG. He has neither an overall positive nor negative impact on this team. Geno will actively lose you games. There's a difference.

lol Fitz doesn't suck. He's a textbook JAG. He has neither an overall positive nor negative impact on this team. Geno will actively lose you games. There's a difference.

LOL right back at you.  Fitz doesn't suck?  Then why did Houston trade him for a bag of peanuts when the only other QBs they have were Mallet and Hoyer?  Puhlease... Fitz is a sucky Jag who is a journeyman.  He's no answer at QB, short term or long term.  He's just may be the lesser of two evils for the Jets in 2015.

I saw one of those FO stats the other day. The Jets led the league last year in sacks given up despite relatively good protection. That's Geno.

Hey, I'm praying that Geno tears it up but with this defense & a guy that can get through his progressions will lead to a lot of nice dumpoffs that go for 25 yards, (Decker,Marshall, Kerley & Smith are definitely gonna use the ENTIRE field & they have to be covered).

Geno was REALLY LATE a lot last year when he finally found his checkoffs & Fitz might not have the arm but I bet you he can take advantage of mistakes made by the defense much much quicker than Geno.

It's gonna be interesting.

Whatever it takes, whoever it takes, I just want to get in the tournament again. If this defense jells & they stay healthy, it's only going to get better as the year progresses. With that Dline & secondary ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs.

One strip sack or pick six can send you to a Super Bowl!

Favre had been planning to go to Vikings for years. He loved the rivalry. There was no chance of that working and the begging would have been sad. I do think they should have forced Favre's hand a bit more, but they had to resolve it before the draft.

He would have been a good match for Rex. A big enough personality and arm to make up for lesser talent around him and make a conservative game plan scary

Forcing Schotty on Rex sealed the end of the Favre Era in NY. Favre probably would have come back if he got to pick his O Coordinator to bring with him.

Best case scenario for Jets, Genos light goes on & he starts gaining confidence throughout preseason. Petty shines in camp playing on the #2 field & Jets brass sees a major battle shaping up for the 2016 season, WIN...WIN!

Jets trade 2016 camp loser to Cleveland.

Don't laugh, lol, this is possible.

Archived