Smith Has Edge, but Fitz Looking Better and Better

flgreen

It's such a shame you hold such low standards for QBs. Geno is statistically the worst QB in the NFL. Over the last two years, he has ranked 34th in the league overall. That means that every QB in the NFL - along with two BACKUPS - were objectively better than him at the position. By definition, he is anything BUT a starting NFL QB. There is absolutely zero reason to defend Geno. Zero.

Yes....he has sucked....as a kid who was thrown to the wolves with NO BODY to throw the ball to would. And yet still.....he has shown flashes.......a handful of comebacks (I think he has a record of first year 4qc......could be wrong, but still..... )

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he doesn't tho

In the last 2 years Geno has had 34 interceptions. Fitz has 20. and that's not even considering fumbles.

Lol No mention of the actual numbet of games played by each over those two years tho. Go check out Fitz first 2 seasons.

Geno had no business starting as a rookie.  Rex, in a very questionable move, inserted Mark Sanchez into a meaningless preseason game in the 4th quarter behind an offensive line of players who had borderline NFL talent.  The result was a season ending shoulder injury.  These events forced the Jets to start Geno as a rookie.  Geno was not even close to being ready to start but had to due to necessity.  As expected, Geno played poorly as rookie.  In his second season Geno was still prone to mistakes and turnovers, though statistically improved.  In the final month of his 2nd season he had 6 TDs, 2 INTS & a 105 QB rating.  My feeling is that Bowles and Gailey are playing it correct giving him a shot as the starter going into Training Camp. Geno has the most talent surrounding him since he has been here, and now in his 3rd season can be judged fairly.

Geno had no business starting as a rookie.  Rex, in a very questionable move, inserted Mark Sanchez into a meaningless preseason game in the 4th quarter behind an offensive line of players who had borderline NFL talent.  The result was a season ending shoulder injury.  These events forced the Jets to start Geno as a rookie.  Geno was not even close to being ready to start but had to due to necessity.  As expected, Geno played poorly as rookie.  In his second season Geno was still prone to mistakes and turnovers, though statistically improved.  In the final month of his 2nd season he had 6 TDs, 2 INTS & a 105 QB rating.  My feeling is that Bowles and Gailey are playing it correct giving him a shot as the starter going into Training Camp. Geno has the most talent surrounding him since he has been here, and now in his 3rd season can be judged fairly.

This is something that is hard for Jet fans to comprehend. When you have a rookie thrown into the fire WITHOUT any veteran weapons, a reshuffled Oline, and a running back that can't catch a cold what do you expect was going to happen?

When your only QB on the roster that has started an NFL game is used in a meaningless preseason game in the 4th quarter & gets injured how the f*ck do you blame the rookie that has to take his place?

I throw out that entire year. My god people, Olineman coming from college to the NFL have trouble & they have a hell of a lot less to think about then a QB.

Then in his 2nd year he's asked to learn the WCO in one offseason and starts the year with his #1 WR, who should be a #2 playing with a hamstring injury along with a conga line of Jags & a rookie TE!

Decker has been criticized by retired NFL players that he has a hard time separating as a #1.

Steve Young says it takes 3 years to get comfortable in the WCO but people here say they know better. All of you out there would suck at your jobs without knowledge & support.

I would bet that 50% of his interceptions were thrown with no one open or to guys that could of but didn't make plays on the ball. I distinctively remember Sudfeld making a horrible attempt at knocking the ball down in Greenbay when Winters whiffed & Geno got hit when throwing the ball.

When Geno does have a good game, fans say the other team wasn't trying? He's made enough plays for me to see that he has a chance if surrounded with talented players. He needs his teammates to make some plays for him so he can gain the confidence he needs to grow.

I've seen QBs picked much higher than Geno fail & some of them didn't bounce back like Geno did from hellacious hits & being benched. I'm with all of you that he needs to step it up this year but he deserves that chance playing with a full stable of decent players around him. If he sh*ts the bed! we have Fitz to play the caretaker.

But he deserves that chance.

Agreed. Saw him/them 3 times. Saw Squeeze in A.C. when Glen and Chris were feuding, around 1999. Then the wife and I saw Glen and a piano player named Stephen in a ballroom of a hotel. There were about 150 people there, and about half way through the show he had us all move our chairs and surround them on stage.Being about 5 feet from Glen and singing along with all the songs was one of the highlights of my musical life. Third time was about 3 years ago when Glen and Chris got back together. Was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Chris singing Cool for Cats, and Glen's extended solo on Black Coffee in Bed will live in my mind forever. Always will be one of my favorite bands.

what a cool experience sec 314, I've never had one like that but I have seen a lot of great and historic shows over the past 45 years of concert going

the difference is that Fitz has hit his ceiling.

No sorry buddy but you ain't getting away with that one. How can you state that without having even watched one game the guy has played since he was on Buffalo and Kris Jenkins ran him over like a steamroller.  No one on this board can say that and actually KNOW it as fact. A lot of players got better as they got older and he hasn't been beat up like say a Mike Vick has been.

I find it mildly depressing that the only thing I said a few months ago that could take the shine off the upgrade at GM, Coach and backfield was bringing in Fitz as our QB. Well, I'm plucking the crow as we speak. I guess it's mildly encouraging that the FO doesn't give a sh*t about past loyalties and hopefully it's a signal that next year the position gets real attention in the draft.

This is something that is hard for Jet fans to comprehend. When you have a rookie thrown into the fire WITHOUT any veteran weapons, a reshuffled Oline, and a running back that can't catch a cold what do you expect was going to happen?

When your only QB on the roster that has started an NFL game is used in a meaningless preseason game in the 4th quarter & gets injured how the f*ck do you blame the rookie that has to take his place?

I throw out that entire year. My god people, Olineman coming from college to the NFL have trouble & they have a hell of a lot less to think about then a QB.

Then in his 2nd year he's asked to learn the WCO in one offseason and starts the year with his #1 WR, who should be a #2 playing with a hamstring injury along with a conga line of Jags & a rookie TE!

Decker has been criticized by retired NFL players that he has a hard time separating as a #1.

Steve Young says it takes 3 years to get comfortable in the WCO but people here say they know better. All of you out there would suck at your jobs without knowledge & support.

I would bet that 50% of his interceptions were thrown with no one open or to guys that could of but didn't make plays on the ball. I distinctively remember Sudfeld making a horrible attempt at knocking the ball down in Greenbay when Winters whiffed & Geno got hit when throwing the ball.

When Geno does have a good game, fans say the other team wasn't trying? He's made enough plays for me to see that he has a chance if surrounded with talented players. He needs his teammates to make some plays for him so he can gain the confidence he needs to grow.

I've seen QBs picked much higher than Geno fail & some of them didn't bounce back like Geno did from hellacious hits & being benched. I'm with all of you that he needs to step it up this year but he deserves that chance playing with a full stable of decent players around him. If he sh*ts the bed! we have Fitz to play the caretaker.

But he deserves that chance.

Never ever ever have I seen, read, heard or even heard OF one single Jets fan, writer, blogger, or sane member of JetNation make such an inane observation. In fact the last time I even saw such a thing was Brett Favre LETTING Gap Tooth to sack him so he could break Gastineau's all-time single season sack record. The fact that that sack is still allowed to stand is a disgrace to the so-called and use your best Steve Sabol voice here: "Integrity Of The Game"  

I find it mildly depressing that the only thing I said a few months ago that could take the shine off the upgrade at GM, Coach and backfield was bringing in Fitz as our QB. Well, I'm plucking the crow as we speak. I guess it's mildly encouraging that the FO doesn't give a sh*t about past loyalties and hopefully it's a signal that next year the position gets real attention in the draft.

Please LK, no 2016 draft talk yet

When Geno does have a good game, fans say the other team wasn't trying?

Never ever ever have I seen, read, heard or even heard OF one single Jets fan, writer, blogger, or sane member of JetNation make such an inane observation. In fact the last time I even saw such a thing was Brett Favre LETTING Gap Tooth to sack him so he could break Gastineau's all-time single season sack record. The fact that that sack is still allowed to stand is a disgrace to the so-called and use your best Steve Sabol voice here: "Integrity Of The Game" 0 ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_2789916', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_2789916', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '2789916' }, parseInt('0') );

actually, it has been said plenty on this message board..  ie: teams packed it in,had nothing to play for etc.

I love how we write off a third year qb..who was thrown into a starting job as a rookie that he wasn't ready for.....who has yet to have anything resembling an NFL caliper group of pass catchers around him.......AND who has shown flashes despite, including the last game of the season. It takes two to complete a pass, and now we have guys who can seperate.

Let's see.

And if he really does suck, than Fitz can get it done.

Bingo

actually, it has been said plenty on this message board..  ie: teams packed it in,had nothing to play for etc.

Thank you for backing me up on this. It's been said numerous times on this board that his last 5 games played at the end of the season teams had packed it in.

He's beaten Miami, in Miami, twice while they were still alive for a playoff berth.

Thank you for backing me up on this. It's been said numerous times on this board that his last 5 games played at the end of the season teams had packed it in.

He's beaten Miami, in Miami, twice while they were still alive for a playoff berth.

The argument that his stats only count thru week 8 is crazy.

Yes....he has sucked....as a kid who was thrown to the wolves with NO BODY to throw the ball to would. And yet still.....he has shown flashes.......a handful of comebacks (I think he has a record of first year 4qc......could be wrong, but still..... )

Who the hell does Carrr and Bridgewater have? The teams around both of them sucked ass last year, and they still looked like competent qbs. Geno Smith has had two years in this league and looks like complete garbage. He's not getting better, he'll forever remain a qb who is consistently ranked in the 5 worst starters. He's freaking terrible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/38ummu/he_did_the_math_comparing_the_value_of_a_td_to_an/

Their's a link showing just how bad Geno Smith screws over the Jets, compared to a rookie like Carr.

I don't think I've ever seen a jet player as killed viciously by the fans as Geno. Vernon Ghloston got better treatment

I despise Sanchez a lot more. He made way too much money and banged a lot of hot chicks for someone so terrible at his job. Geno, meanwhile, was a 2nd round pick and very cheap.

He played well against those teams. The idiotic idea that the games were meaningless so no one other than Geno was playing is an excuse for people with an agenda. Never mind wrong. But why stop at 6 games? He played well in NE earlier, losing by 2. GB was meaningless to GB? Don't get the extremes Jets fans go to kill their own team. Seems like they just love to scream we suck, our players suck, our FO sucks, coaches and owner sucks. Even our stadium sucks. It's a badge of honor, don't mess with it

He played well against those teams. The idiotic idea that the games were meaningless so no one other than Geno was playing is an excuse for people with an agenda. Never mind wrong. But why stop at 6 games? He played well in NE earlier, losing by 2. GB was meaningless to GB? Don't get the extremes Jets fans go to kill their own team. Seems like they just love to scream we suck, our players suck, our FO sucks, coaches and owner sucks. Even our stadium sucks. It's a badge of honor, don't mess with it

More like we're tired of watching sh*tty qbs waste talented teams.

This is an oldie but what's funny is E.J. Manual is used as some "comparison".

Criticism of Geno Smith mounts after the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 1, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

AP

For NFL draft prospects, seeing criticism in the media from anonymous sources is simply part of the process of going pro. But Jets second-round pick Geno Smith has been taking a surprising amount of criticism after the draft.

From criticism of his statement on Thursday night that he would leave New York after he wasn’t picked in the first round to criticism of his decision after the draft to fire his agents, Smith has already taken a number of shots. Now comes a report from Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports that cites sources with other NFL teams as saying Smith displayed a bad attitude in pre-draft meetings.

Two sources told Cole that when Smith was on pre-draft visits, he spent too much time on the phone, texting friends or reading Twitter.

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one source said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

Another critic said Smith doesn’t exude leadership the way Bills first-round pick E.J. Manuel does.

“He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader,” one executive who studied Smith said. “I don’t think he’s a bad person, but that’s not enough to be a quarterback in this league.”

The Jets obviously liked Smith well enough to spend a second-round draft pick on him, and as long as Smith makes his new team happy, it really doesn’t matter what the other 31 teams think. But it is becoming clear that a whole lot of people around the NFL don’t think highly of Smith.

Permalink 106 Comments  Latest

I don't think I've ever seen a jet player as killed viciously by the fans as Geno. Vernon Ghloston got better treatment

what do you expect we lifelong Jets fans have never seen a QB throw 3 interceptions in so short a time-that was the absolute WORST display of QBing in the history of the team-maybe ANY team.... so like I said Whaddaspect?

This is an oldie but what's funny is E.J. Manual is used as some "comparison".

Criticism of Geno Smith mounts after the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 1, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

AP

For NFL draft prospects, seeing criticism in the media from anonymous sources is simply part of the process of going pro. But Jets second-round pick Geno Smith has been taking a surprising amount of criticism after the draft.

From criticism of his statement on Thursday night that he would leave New York after he wasn’t picked in the first round to criticism of his decision after the draft to fire his agents, Smith has already taken a number of shots. Now comes a report from Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports that cites sources with other NFL teams as saying Smith displayed a bad attitude in pre-draft meetings.

Two sources told Cole that when Smith was on pre-draft visits, he spent too much time on the phone, texting friends or reading Twitter.

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one source said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

Another critic said Smith doesn’t exude leadership the way Bills first-round pick E.J. Manuel does.

“He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader,” one executive who studied Smith said. “I don’t think he’s a bad person, but that’s not enough to be a quarterback in this league.”

The Jets obviously liked Smith well enough to spend a second-round draft pick on him, and as long as Smith makes his new team happy, it really doesn’t matter what the other 31 teams think. But it is becoming clear that a whole lot of people around the NFL don’t think highly of Smith.

Permalink 106 Comments  Latest

And some of you guys wonder why we say the guy ain't too bright, here he is, in a room with potentially millions of dollars at stake and this ditz is texting his homies or some chicks and checking his Twitter feed-yea he's brilliant we're all so mean to question his behavior 

what do you expect we lifelong Jets fans have never seen a QB throw 3 interceptions in so short a time-that was the absolute WORST display of QBing in the history of the team-maybe ANY team.... so like I said Whaddaspect?

What did you say when Namath threw 6 picks in a game?

More than once?

Sounds good except Genos never played on a talented team. He's wasted nothing.

He's wasted a defense that carried his ass to 8-8 in a very easy schedule his rookie year, that was in the playoff hunt despite Geno doing his best Jamarcus Russel impression.

Which is exactly why he shouldn't start. He's done enough harm to this team as it is, and needs to be put in a position where he will exceed, that position being the bench.

What did you say when Namath threw 6 picks in a game?

More than once?

Do not even mention the worst QB in the game today with a Hall Of Famer-it really makes you look ....let's just call it bad form and be done with it

Geno Smith has proven he is the quarterback the Jets need — if they want the highest draft pick possible.

The second-year starter had an incomprehensibly awful first quarter in Sunday’s game against the Bills, throwing three interceptions in the game’s first 11 minutes before being benched and replaced by Michael Vick.

After opening with a three-and-out, Smith’s next drive was highlighted by an overthrow of a wide-open Percy Harvin and an interception to Stephon Gilmore on the next play. The boos had begun, only intensifying after another terrible throw by Smith, resulting in another interception — by Preston Brown — at midfield.

Only two plays into the Jets’ fourth drive, Smith connected with Buffalo safety Aaron Williams, who returned the interception to the Jets’ 1-yard line with 4:40 left in the first quarter.

Smith was finally put out of his misery, finishing 2-of-8 for five yards.

Ha ha, I can't believe we have fans pissed because Geno Smith, a 2nd round pick (we picked Nugent the kicker in the 2nd round once), couldn't get us into the playoffs in 2013, lol.

We traded Revis too, so I have no idea how you can say it was a "wasted" season?

Remind me who Genos receivers were in 2013?

The revisionist history on this board is disturbing.

Even sure fire QBs like Andrew Luck struggle their 1st year & he came out of a pro style offense coached by one of the best in Harbaugh.

An average Jets team slapped him around that 1st year. This is not a comparison, it's just fact that QBing in the NFL takes time & experience.

So you guys who still want Geno Smith to be the QB of the Jets, do you guys remember last season when they won opening day and then went on to lose 11 of the next 12 games. Is that the kind of football you like watching?

Geno is god-awful. I can't remember the thread, but someone here posted he has elite skills. Ha! They actually said "elite skills." Bwahahaha. Too funny.

....and that hoodie. That sulking body language sitting on the bench with that effin hoodie!! aaargh!!!That was the nail in the coffin for me. He might as well have cried like Kordell Stewart. The evil part of my brain is hoping that he does just that at some point in the preseason.

I will NEVER believe that Geno is an NFL QB. He has limited skills, limited decision making, and ZERO leadership intangibles. He'll lose the job by 3rd week in August.

Geno is god-awful. I can't remember the thread, but someone here posted he has elite skills. Ha! They actually said "elite skills." Bwahahaha. Too funny.

....and that hoodie. That sulking body language sitting on the bench with that effin hoodie!! aaargh!!!That was the nail in the coffin for me. He might as well have cried like Kordell Stewart. The evil part of my brain is hoping that he does just that at some point in the preseason.

I will NEVER believe that Geno is an NFL QB. He has limited skills, limited decision making, and ZERO leadership intangibles. He'll lose the job by 3rd week in August.

Yea I got a good chuckle reading that elite skills comment. It came from Johnny (dog pic). I think he's like 16 or so or acts as such.  I am really disappointed in Mac in not getting better competition at the QB position.  I really don't understand his plan getting so many high profile players and still rolling the dice with this putz.  

Who the hell does Carrr and Bridgewater have? The teams around both of them sucked ass last year, and they still looked like competent qbs. Geno Smith has had two years in this league and looks like complete garbage. He's not getting better, he'll forever remain a qb who is consistently ranked in the 5 worst starters. He's freaking terrible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/38ummu/he_did_the_math_comparing_the_value_of_a_td_to_an/

Their's a link showing just how bad Geno Smith screws over the Jets, compared to a rookie like Carr.

Derek Carr has to be the most overrated QB on this board. That's a nice little table, and everyone knows Geno turns it over way too often, but they don't take yardage into account at all. Geno, for all his faults and for all his lack of weapons, at least pushes the ball downfield. Carr's making fewer mistakes, but plays timidly with his paultry 5.5 ypa. Bridgewater has been better than I expected, and you can lament passing over him. But Carr? No interest.

And some of you guys wonder why we say the guy ain't too bright, here he is, in a room with potentially millions of dollars at stake and this ditz is texting his homies or some chicks and checking his Twitter feed-yea he's brilliant we're all so mean to question his behavior

This speaks far more to maturity than it does intelligence. And until he proves otherwise, it continues to be a major concern. I'm far more concerned about his psychological makeup than his smarts. By all accounts, he's a bright kid. Where he seems to lack is when it comes to leadership, responding to adversity, and, perhaps, work ethic. All major issues as well.

He's being given the upper hand to win the starting job with the Jets because this new regime -with absolutely no ties to Geno Smith, whatsoever- recognizes his physical abilities, and believes he has the intelligence to to do the job. The offensive coordinator who spent years with Fitzpatrick knew he wanted to go with Geno before he ever saw him in a practice. Fans can kick and scream all they want, but Geno will almost certainly open the preseason as the starter. He's gonna have to fall hard on his face to still not be starting by the third preseason game -the true tune up game- and thus, starting opening day. That's what the coaches are hoping and planning for because they know Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I'm rooting for Geno. He's still our best case scenario, as sad as that may be. Gotta hope Gailey, Marshall, and his namesake help elevate him to a new level. Fitzpatrick is no answer.

Archived