Smith Has Edge, but Fitz Looking Better and Better

flgreen

The point was Manning threw THREE INTS ON FOUR PASS ATTEMPTS.  Similar to how Geno threw almost consecutive 3 picks in the first quarter....

Don't you get it, you can only use stats to prove the player you hate sucks.

Don't you dare use the same logic, same standards on a player he likes. That makes you stupid. Lol, you can't make it up

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes All Knowing One.  No one has said he hasn't sucked but since the Coaching Staff, you know, Todd Bowles and Chan Gailey have him as the starter unless Fitz beats him out means they are willing to see if he CAN IMPROVE and if they can DEVELOP him.  A foreign concept I know. 

Actually several have tried to claim he hasn't actually sucked.  Like JiF.  Quoting some statistic where he had X number of games with QB rating of Y or greater.  It's cute.

Don't you dare use the same logic, same standards on a player he likes. That makes you stupid. Lol, you can't make it up

I don't have to manipulate stats at all.  They're right there for everyone to see.  Fitzy is in the mediocre realm, Geno is in the horrendous realm.  It's the people who want Geno to start who do the manipulation.

Actually several have tried to claim he hasn't actually sucked.  Like JiF.  Quoting some statistic where he had X number of games with QB rating of Y or greater.  It's cute.

See what you don't seem to get is all of that is irrelevant. It is what he does going forward that truly matters.  Arguing back and forth off the last two years is really just a waste of time; don't you agree?  

Agreed

See what you don't seem to get is all of that is irrelevant. It is what he does going forward that truly matters.  Arguing back and forth off the last two years is really just a waste of time; don't you agree?  

Pretty much.  But read the thread title.  No one cares if Fitz is outplaying Geno.  People are still going to argue Geno should start even if that trend continues, because Chan Gailey said he would.

Pretty much.  But read the thread title.  No one cares if Fitz is outplaying Geno.  People are still going to argue Geno should start even if that trend continues, because Chan Gailey said he would.

I hear you..... 

I don't have to manipulate stats at all.  They're right there for everyone to see.  Fitzy is in the mediocre realm, Geno is in the horrendous realm.  It's the people who want Geno to start who do the manipulation.

I'd love to see you sitting in a room with Mac, Bowles & Gailey pleading your case as a fan that Geno sucks & should not play and we should just cut him.

It would be epic.

I'd love to see you sitting in a room with Mac, Bowles & Gailey pleading your case as a fan that Geno sucks & should not play and we should just cut him.

It would be epic.

this great site continues to disintegrate as it's losing it's sense of humor and more and more we're seeing the ridiculous  being cited by the same people who did nothing but talk smack about how much they hated this site just a few short months ago.

this great site continues to disintegrate as it's losing it's sense of humor and more and more we're seeing the ridiculous  being cited by the same people who did nothing but talk smack about how much they hated this site just a few short months ago.

By the time the season starts most of the JN posters will be so fed up they won't want to even read here.  Sucks, I loved this site until all the posters from the site that shall not be named got here.

What's your point? Your not humorous?

Most fans arguing for Geno to start & see how he does with better weapons are just being reasonable, no one is claiming he's gods gift to quarterbacking.

The Geno haters are being unf*cking reasonable & it's easy to point out WHY without long stupid arguments.

The FOOTBALL people in charge, Mac, Bowles & the OC Gailey say it's Genos job to lose.

Football people...people who know, one who has coached & played in the NFL, an OC who gets nothing but accolades for his work with lesser QBs in the past who's had a long distinguished career in the NFL has told YOU the Jet fan that Geno will start.

So, while you Geno haters are telling fellow fans on an internet site that they are all MORONS because they believe Geno gives the Jets a better overall chance than Fitzpatrick, your really calling Bowles & Gailey Idiots for coming to that conclusion.

Most fans arguing for Geno to start & see how he does with better weapons are just being reasonable, no one is claiming he's gods gift to quarterbacking.

The Geno haters are being unf*cking reasonable & it's easy to point out WHY without long stupid arguments.

The FOOTBALL people in charge, Mac, Bowles & the OC Gailey say it's Genos job to lose.

Football people...people who know, one who has coached & played in the NFL, an OC who gets nothing but accolades for his work with lesser QBs in the past who's had a long distinguished career in the NFL has told YOU the Jet fan that Geno will start.

So, while you Geno haters are telling fellow fans on an internet site that they are all MORONS because they believe Geno gives the Jets a better overall chance than Fitzpatrick, your really calling Bowles & Gailey Idiots for coming to that conclusion.

See your wrong, most fans do not want Geno to start this year.  There was a poll and it was not close, but you were not posting here then.

See your wrong, most fans do not want Geno to start this year.  There was a poll and it was not close, but you were not posting here then.

Well considering this was one of the answers, it proves my theory regarding most Jet fans.

No and No.

Fitz sucks

Geno sucks

Jets suck

You see the whole premise of how you even THINK about being a Jets fan is all screwed up. Any true fan of the Jets could care less about the name on the back of the jersey, we care about the jersey, we aren't EVER Geno haters or Geno Lovers, we are JETS fans period, end of story. You know what, if by September Geno Smith is the starting quarterback of this team I will be the biggest rooter of the QB of the team I love-REGARDLESS of who it is while you'll be gloating with "I told you so's". There was a reason why so many of us older Jets fans hardly bothered posting at Jets Insider; to get as far away from idiotic premises and wrongheaded ideals as to how to BE a Jets fan. For us here it's always been the uniform NOT the player.

To Max; I'm sorry, I'm not trying to drive anybody away but we all knew what had become of the once great site that we ALL once-belonged to, some of us still did until the end, even if we chose to post here with more of "our type" of Jets fans. It just is what it is and was what it was.

You see the whole premise of how you even THINK about being a Jets fan is all screwed up. Any true fan of the Jets could care less about the name on the back of the jersey, we care about the jersey, we aren't EVER Geno haters or Geno Lovers, we are JETS fans period, end of story. You know what, if by September Geno Smith is the starting quarterback of this team I will be the biggest rooter of the QB of the team I love-REGARDLESS of who it is while you'll be gloating with "I told you so's". There was a reason why so many of us older Jets fans hardly bothered posting at Jets Insider; to get as far away from idiotic premises and wrongheaded ideals as to how to BE a Jets fan. For us here it's always been the uniform NOT the player.

To Max; I'm sorry, I'm not trying to drive anybody away but we all knew what had become of the once great site that we ALL once-belonged to, some of us still did until the end, even if we chose to post here with more of "our type" of Jets fans. It just is what it is and was what it was.

I'm probably older than you so I have no idea where you get the idea that people are TELLING YOU how to be a fan but I can tell you that NFL teams don't give up on players like fans do.

Now if you went back you'd see that I did give up on Vernon Gholston pretty quickly, you could tell immediately he had no heart & no skill. There is the saying that it takes at least 3 years to rate a draft. For all we know Pryor, Amaro (I've been critical of Jace but I'm not saying he SUCKS), McDougle, Reilly, Ik, Ununwa, and Evans could all be good players that contribute.

Jury is still out.

What exactly makes him an a-hole? The dick pic thing must have been embarrassing to him but it's not like he posted it on a public forum.. I'd call that being naive more than being an a-hole.

What's the other big infraction - missing a meeting? By all accounts that was carelessness and not someone trying to intentionally blow off the meeting.

Every time I've heard him interview he says the right thing and never assigns blame or makes excuses. You can debate all you want about ability to QB but this notion that he's an "a-hole" because he played some bad games is nonsense.

You mean the hissy fit he threw in not being drafted in 1st round, refusing to attend the second day and having to be convinced by his handlers that missing the 2nd day of the draft.

Or when he was thrown off a plane for being an ahole

Or his missing multiple meetings.

The dick pick wouldn't even qualify

You mean the hissy fit he threw in not being drafted in 1st round, refusing to attend the second day and having to be convinced by his handlers that missing the 2nd day of the draft.

Or when he was thrown off a plane for being an ahole

Or his missing multiple meetings.

The dick pick wouldn't even qualify

Hearsay and gossip column tripe aren't admissible, counselor.  Get back to us when you have something of substance.

With the lack of practices you have with the new CBA, Geno would have to really, really sh*t the bed in preseason to get unseated I think. It's almost impossible to have real competitions anymore, just not enough reps to go around.

The Geno hate is the reason that media types always mention, "New York will tear them up & spit them out" when there is any talk of going to a rookie in this town.

Sanchez sucked just as bad, he had one of the best Olines EVER to cover for his sh*tty abilities. He had one great throw vs the Pats in Gillette in 2010 but don't downplay the freaking catch by Holmes, a thing of beauty. Every single time we looked to OPEN UP the offense Sanchez sh*t the bed.

When's the last time you saw one of Genos receivers make a spectacular catch?

The funny thing is we're called Geno apologists but what other alternative do you have being a fan other than supporting your QB when it's really the only chance you have?

I keep looking for these other QBs that Mac was supposed to find?

It's Fitz & Geno....that's it, those are your choices. Instead of f*cking booing him after his 1st incompletion of the season & yelling eff bombs at him in the 1st game of the season why don't you at least give him a chance with more capable WRs around him.

And UNLIKE Sanchez who blamed EVERYBODY but himself Geno has always taken the blame, even when he got no help from the likes of Sudfeld, or Stephen Hill dropping passes in his hands on 3rd down, or Brian Winters going Ole on him and almost getting him killed.

So what! So Geno has a handfull of boneheaded f*ckups, happens every week in this league if you watch enough Redzone.

Defenders can tee off on young QBs on 3rd & long which should have been our name last year. It takes experience to change snap counts or use quick counts to slow down defenses.

It's actually the mundane stuff QBs learn 1st so they can play quicker & with more confidence. I think Gailey is going to lighten the mental load & simplify the offense now that they have more playmakers.

Dallas ran one of the most simplest offenses under Norv Turner with Troy Aikmen that I've ever seen.

Matt Ryan has been working with his receiving core FOR YEARS!

We were a sh*tty team overall since Geno was drafted. He only got to play with a healthy Decker for maybe half the season, he hurt his hamstring in the 2nd game vs Greenbay. Then Harvin was thrown in there, along with a Rookie TE that can't block, and a handful of Jags stepping in every week.

You just can't write him off without giving him a chance with Gailey & the upgrades around him.

I gotta say this is a great post.  Well done.

You see the whole premise of how you even THINK about being a Jets fan is all screwed up. Any true fan of the Jets could care less about the name on the back of the jersey, we care about the jersey, we aren't EVER Geno haters or Geno Lovers, we are JETS fans period, end of story.

Speak for yourself - I cant stand this douchebag and cant wait until the day I hear, "The NY Jets have moved on from Geno Smith".  That will happen after this coming season is over.  The rest his contract can be bought and the hit is minimal on the cap. WATCH.  

Derek Carr has to be the most overrated QB on this board. That's a nice little table, and everyone knows Geno turns it over way too often, but they don't take yardage into account at all. Geno, for all his faults and for all his lack of weapons, at least pushes the ball downfield. Carr's making fewer mistakes, but plays timidly with his paultry 5.5 ypa. Bridgewater has been better than I expected, and you can lament passing over him. But Carr? No interest.

This speaks far more to maturity than it does intelligence. And until he proves otherwise, it continues to be a major concern. I'm far more concerned about his psychological makeup than his smarts. By all accounts, he's a bright kid. Where he seems to lack is when it comes to leadership, responding to adversity, and, perhaps, work ethic. All major issues as well.

He's being given the upper hand to win the starting job with the Jets because this new regime -with absolutely no ties to Geno Smith, whatsoever- recognizes his physical abilities, and believes he has the intelligence to to do the job. The offensive coordinator who spent years with Fitzpatrick knew he wanted to go with Geno before he ever saw him in a practice. Fans can kick and scream all they want, but Geno will almost certainly open the preseason as the starter. He's gonna have to fall hard on his face to still not be starting by the third preseason game -the true tune up game- and thus, starting opening day. That's what the coaches are hoping and planning for because they know Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I'm rooting for Geno. He's still our best case scenario, as sad as that may be. Gotta hope Gailey, Marshall, and his namesake help elevate him to a new level. Fitzpatrick is no answer.

I'd take Carr in a micro second over Geno. And where has Geno shown any glimpse of intelligence?  I know 5th graders who have a better command of the English language. 

Geno is a blithering idiot.  Intelligent? Hardly.  Definition: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.  Geno is the antithesis of this.  Wisdom, kindness, humility, acceptance, sacrifice are qualities I believe are more important.  Regardless, Geno hasn't displayed any of these attributes either.  He isn't a leader, he doesn't learn from his mistakes, he's self centered, his teammates for the most part lack confidence in him, he hasn't grown in any of these areas over the last 2 years either statistically or emotionally.   

And the coaching staff really has zero investment in this bum.  He unfortunately was the only 'experienced' QB on the roster inherited by Mac and Bowles.  They have no choice but to go all in on Smith this year until Petty is ready.  There really were no other options.  But to say 'the CS recognizes his physical abilities, and believes he has the intelligence to to do the job' is really comical.  With comments like this you're jeopardizing your reputation as moderator!  I understand you're biased towards Smith BUT try and be objective.     

By week 3 or 4, I could care less about the preseason, Geno will FALL SLAT on his face! and FItzMagic will take over. WATCH!

Browns Colts Eagles Dolphins - 2 Wins 2 Losses and Smith does absolutely nothing but suck. CS pulls the plug and hands over the reigns to Fitz.    

I'd take Carr in a micro second over Geno. And where has Geno shown any glimpse of intelligence?  I know 5th graders who have a better command of the English language. 

Geno is a blithering idiot.  Intelligent? Hardly.  Definition: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.  Geno is the antithesis of this.  Wisdom, kindness, humility, acceptance, sacrifice are qualities I believe are more important.  Regardless, Geno hasn't displayed any of these attributes either.  He isn't a leader, he doesn't learn from his mistakes, he's self centered, his teammates for the most part lack confidence in him, he hasn't grown in any of these areas over the last 2 years either statistically or emotionally.   

And the coaching staff really has zero investment in this bum.  He unfortunately was the only 'experienced' QB on the roster inherited by Mac and Bowles.  They have no choice but to go all in on Smith this year until Petty is ready.  There really were no other options.  But to say 'the CS recognizes his physical abilities, and believes he has the intelligence to to do the job' is really comical.  With comments like this you're jeopardizing your reputation as moderator!  I understand you're biased towards Smith BUT try and be objective.     

By week 3 or 4, I could care less about the preseason, Geno will FALL SLAT on his face! and FItzMagic will take over. WATCH!

Browns Colts Eagles Dolphins - 2 Wins 2 Losses and Smith does absolutely nothing but suck. CS pulls the plug and hands over the reigns to Fitz.

Disagree 100% with your opinion regarding Geno's intelligence. There have been no comments or even inferences from his teammates or coaches that he lacks intelligence. Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably the smartest QB in the league, and yet the Jets new regime has him behind Geno on the depth chart.

I'm not biased towards Geno, I'm biased towards the Jets. You're right that the new guys have no ties to Geno, yet they've made it known that the starting job is his to lose. If they were nearly as confident in him totally sucking as you are, I doubt that would be the case. No, instead they apparently see potential in the kid, and want to see if he can successfully tap into that potential. And that's what I'm rooting for. I'm hoping our new regime is right. It's much better for the Jets if they are, and Geno is a much better QB than he's shown over his first two seasons under new coaching with better weapons around him.

If Geno falters, I won't give a crap about Geno. He was selected by John Idzik, who I consider to be maybe the worst executive ever hired by the Jets, and the failure of Geno will simply be further proof of that fact. But I'll give a crap about the team. If Fitzpatrick takes over, that will probably prove to be temporary so they can give Petty some reps late in the season as they make their QB plans going into 2016. And the carousel continues.

No, I'm hoping Gailey is right, and he can get some decent QB play out of Geno. That's pretty much where my alleged love for Geno begins and ends.

Disagree 100% with your opinion regarding Geno's intelligence. There have been no comments or even inferences from his teammates or coaches that he lacks intelligence. Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably the smartest QB in the league, and yet the Jets new regime has him behind Geno on the depth chart.

I'm not biased towards Geno, I'm biased towards the Jets. You're right that the new guys have no ties to Geno, yet they've made it known that the starting job is his to lose. If they were nearly as confident in him totally sucking as you are, I doubt that would be the case. No, instead they apparently see potential in the kid, and want to see if he can successfully tap into that potential. And that's what I'm rooting for. I'm hoping our new regime is right. It's much better for the Jets if they are, and Geno is a much better QB than he's shown over his first two seasons under new coaching with better weapons around him.

If Geno falters, I won't give a crap about Geno. He was selected by John Idzik, who I consider to be maybe the worst executive ever hired by the Jets, and the failure of Geno will simply be further proof of that fact. But I'll give a crap about the team. If Fitzpatrick takes over, that will probably prove to be temporary so they can give Petty some reps late in the season as they make their QB plans going into 2016. And the carousel continues.

No, I'm hoping Gailey is right, and he can get some decent QB play out of Geno. That's pretty much where my alleged love for Geno begins and ends.

I actually think that starting out with a declared albeit slight edge towards the incumbent is effectively the same thing as taking a neutral position on Geno at this point.  An endorsement of sorts but hardly a ringing one given the hedging that has already taken place.  This starting position also makes the public relations exercise easier for the Jets in the event that a change becomes necessary because it is difficult to make the case that they were biased against Geno from the start.

His football IQ seems low because his decision making has been quite poor.  Fitzpatrick has the same issue no matter how smart he is although he does not seem to have the problem to the same degree that Geno does.

I am comfortable with where we are at this point although I wonder to what degree the new administration will allow the season to fail or begin to fail with Geno before they decide to pull the plug on him.  The new administration can reasonably expect at least one honeymoon year given the steaming QB mess that they inherited even if the defense turns out to be all world as I expect.

I actually think that starting out with a declared albeit slight edge towards the incumbent is effectively the same thing as taking a neutral position on Geno at this point.  An endorsement of sorts but hardly a ringing one given the hedging that has already taken place.  This starting position also makes the public relations exercise easier for the Jets in the event that a change becomes necessary because it is difficult to make the case that they were biased against Geno from the start.

His football IQ seems low because his decision making has been quite poor.  Fitzpatrick has the same issue no matter how smart he is although he does not seem to have the problem to the same degree that Geno does.

I am comfortable with where we are at this point although I wonder to what degree the new administration will allow the season to fail or begin to fail with Geno before they decide to pull the plug on him.  The new administration can reasonably expect at least one honeymoon year given the steaming QB mess that they inherited even if the defense turns out to be all world as I expect.

I suspect that Gailey was much more candid about their QB plans than Bowles -who appeared to be in damage control mode- was. We'll see how it plays out.

THIS

Which one is it? You're rooting for him or you're not?  I see if he comes around yippie. If he fails your stance is cest la vie. Figures.  Personally, I consider him a loser, a wannabe, a spoiled brat.  I have no desire to see this albatross wearing a NY Jet uniform.  The sooner he is gone the better.  And many in football circles have the same opinion of him.  And again, spinning the CS's allegiance to Smith is absurd.  Stating its his job to lose is no ringing endorsement especially when you are competing with the likes of a journeyman QB likes Fitz, who I still believe is the better choice since he is more experienced, knows Gailey's system and would make a better game manager.   Gailey, opening his trap and endorsing Smith, is going to be aghast when he sees him up close in game action.  The guy has a solid rep but I hope he doesn't become another flop as an OC along the lines of our other infamous OC's of the past.          

The CS has little invested in Smith and this potential you believe they see in him is nothing more than desperation that he doesn't (as one poster on here says) sh*t on the bed.  I don't get the feeling that the CS is enamored with Smith as you may think.  Again, their 'hope' for him is more by default and circumstance than by virtue.   

I'm probably older than you so I have no idea where you get the idea that people are TELLING YOU how to be a fan but I can tell you that NFL teams don't give up on players like fans do.

Now if you went back you'd see that I did give up on Vernon Gholston pretty quickly, you could tell immediately he had no heart & no skill. There is the saying that it takes at least 3 years to rate a draft. For all we know Pryor, Amaro (I've been critical of Jace but I'm not saying he SUCKS), McDougle, Reilly, Ik, Ununwa, and Evans could all be good players that contribute.

Jury is still out.

You left out the biggest flop of them all - Smith.  You better get a good lawyer.

Hearsay and gossip column tripe aren't admissible, counselor.  Get back to us when you have something of substance.

It is not lost on any of us that your threshold for assholeness is higher than everyone else's.

Which one is it? You're rooting for him or you're not?  I see if he comes around yippie. If he fails your stance is cest la vie. Figures. 

Lol. Figures? What the hell are you talking about?

Personally, I consider him a loser, a wannabe, a spoiled brat.  I have no desire to see this albatross wearing a NY Jet uniform.  The sooner he is gone the better.  And many in football circles have the same opinion of him.  And again, spinning the CS's allegiance to Smith is absurd.  Stating its his job to lose is no ringing endorsement especially when you are competing with the likes of a journeyman QB likes Fitz, who I still believe is the better choice since he is more experienced, knows Gailey's system and would make a better game manager.   Gailey, opening his trap and endorsing Smith, is going to be aghast when he sees him up close in game action.  The guy has a solid rep but I hope he doesn't become another flop as an OC along the lines of our other infamous OC's of the past.          

The CS has little invested in Smith and this potential you believe they see in him is nothing more than desperation that he doesn't (as one poster on here says) sh*t on the bed.  I don't get the feeling that the CS is enamored with Smith as you may think.  Again, their 'hope' for him is more by default and circumstance than by virtue.

Your opinion aside, it is Geno's job to lose. I'm rooting for the kid, not because I have any connection or affection for him, but because -like the Jets new coaching staff- I recognize that he has greater upside than Fitzpatrick. That's the beginning and the end of it.

And yeah, if he doesn't get it together this year, he can sit if Fitzpatrick proves to be the better option. I have a lot of the same complaints about Geno as you have, despite your efforts to set me up as your strawman. But, recognizing what the new regime has planned for him this year, I'd rather root for that new regime and their inherited QB than be a cantankerous prick about it. :)

Whoa.  Hold up...never said he hasnt sucked.  He sucked something awful.  I said he improved last year and compared his progression to your conquering hero.  And noted that he's doing some good things while sucking over 2 years that Fitz has never done while sucking over a decade.  

Dont start twisting sh*t up for this little game you're playing here, you twerp! 

Archived