Wilkerson will report to mandatory minicamp next week

JETSfaninNE

IMO you have to balance the risk that Geno is the real thing and that Williams on a line with Sheldon and with that secondary is going to struggle too much against the risk that Geno is not their guy and they will need to upgrade QB next season.

Me: I think if Geno is going to be good enough than so will Williams.  I cannot see Wilkderson being our missing piece; not sure loosing him at this point will hurt the D too much while an extra 1st next year could make all of the difference.

They're all-in on this season. They filled needs via trade and free agency and drafted for the future. They didn't leave any superbowl-preventing holes that should have been filled via an obvious no-brainer move. Except at QB, where there really weren't any slam dunk options in the first place. There were several meh (or worse) QBs to choose from and they took one. Arguably the best choice of a bad group in Fitz, but the future will say whether or not that's true.

I have no opinion on Geno other than he's been mostly atrocious. It is my desire that he becomes a totally different QB, but I just want way better than he's been. So I don't care if that comes from an improved Geno or from Fitzpatrick or from Petty surprising everyone as a rookie. I'm interested in the results, and don't care which individual gets them. 

Wilkerson doesn't fill a hole in the future, other than a hole in the ability to spend on a position of need (or to re-up someone else). THIS season, he will almost assuredly be better than Williams, no matter how good Williams is going to be over the course of his career. So yeah, I could see the value in keeping him for this year at $7M. They could always extend him later if they foresee a long-term issue with Williams or Richardson.

If they could move him more or less even-up for a demon pass rusher (who also needs a huge new contract)? Yeah I probably make that move. I would miss Mo, because even as a 1st rounder he's exceeded expectations and does seem like both a good guy and good teammate. But an NFL roster is a numbers game, and filling a hole trumps additional depth (where depth already exists, no less, and where the depth costs more than most starters cost). Making a trade for a top-notch pass rusher (like Houston, as someone brought up, if KC was even somehow interested) is going to move Coples back more to the DL rotation, so we can still keep others fresh with a frequent rotation.

They're all-in on this season. They filled needs via trade and free agency and drafted for the future. They didn't leave any superbowl-preventing holes that should have been filled via an obvious no-brainer move. Except at QB, where there really weren't any slam dunk options in the first place. There were several meh (or worse) QBs to choose from and they took one. Arguably the best choice of a bad group in Fitz, but the future will say whether or not that's true.

I have no opinion on Geno other than he's been mostly atrocious. It is my desire that he becomes a totally different QB, but I just want way better than he's been. So I don't care if that comes from an improved Geno or from Fitzpatrick or from Petty surprising everyone as a rookie. I'm interested in the results, and don't care which individual gets them. 

Wilkerson doesn't fill a hole in the future, other than a hole in the ability to spend on a position of need (or to re-up someone else). THIS season, he will almost assuredly be better than Williams, no matter how good Williams is going to be over the course of his career. So yeah, I could see the value in keeping him for this year at $7M. They could always extend him later if they foresee a long-term issue with Williams or Richardson.

If they could move him more or less even-up for a demon pass rusher (who also needs a huge new contract)? Yeah I probably make that move. I would miss Mo, because even as a 1st rounder he's exceeded expectations and does seem like both a good guy and good teammate. But an NFL roster is a numbers game, and filling a hole trumps additional depth (where depth already exists, no less, and where the depth costs more than most starters cost). Making a trade for a top-notch pass rusher (like Houston, as someone brought up, if KC was even somehow interested) is going to move Coples back more to the DL rotation, so we can still keep others fresh with a frequent rotation.

This is the part that worries me, I have a bad feeling Richardson is going to pull some Revis level holdouts and demands next year or the year after.

Archived