I've got a really good feeling about Devin Smith!

Jetster

It's easy to get excited about a new draft class but as we all know it takes time to get assimilated to the NFL game.

If I'm looking at Devin through the eye of a needle regarding the Jets I wouldn't be very excited but when I step back, look at what made him successful at Ohio State I start having visions of Wesley Walker or Deshaun Jackson dancing in my head.

Last year Decker started out hamstrung and still did some nice things with an erratic QB. Then when Percy was brought in it opened things up even more for Decker who by all accounts should be labeled a #2 WR.

But the trade for Brandon Marshall changed everything and now the Jets have a legitimate #1 guy that has to be accounted for on every play, (when a CB as talented as Revis sings your praises your a tough cover).

There is no way teams that we play are deep enough at CB to not use their top guy to try & stop Marshall.

So Decker gets the advantage now of having a teams #2 have to cover him.

You guys know where I'm going with this.

Just take a look at the success that young receivers are having in this league out of the gate. Now you have a speed demon in Smith, that is drawing a 3rd or 4th CB!

You just need to look at this guys YPC in college with a future UPS driver throwing him the ball to see that he has the chance under someone like Chan Gailey to be special.

Kerleys a SOLID vet but he's designed more in the cut & curl mode.

When Smith is on the field it's going to be imperative that a CB try to get his hands on him or they will be FORCED to shade someone to his side of the field.

Smith is outrageous in his deep ball skills. This guy is gonna be fun as hell to watch as we all know there is nothing more exciting than the deep ball. When we go 4 wide, our RBs are sure to be in play because this will be the most skill we've seen at WR in a REALLY LONG TIME.

It's really cool how each guy brings something to the party.

This season can't come fast enough for me but I must have patience because I don't like wishing my summer away.

We're gonna have a REAL OFFENSE for a change. Long time coming.

When they go 4 WR sets with Kerley, Smith, Marshall, Decker and Amaro running straight down the middle of the field... what team other than the Jets has enough depth at the DB position to cover all these guys.

I wish we had the same DB play last year as we have this year. It would have made my trip to GB end on a happier note.

Look at it this way, if that was Marshall last year instead of Cumberland on that ill-fated pass at the end of the first half, the Jets likely win that game.  Marshall would have likely defended that pass correctly.  Assuming we score the FQ and spend more time, we are looking at a 10 point swing to end the first half.  Without that big momentum swing.  If he catches that ball (he is big, strong and knows how to use his body) and we get a TD, it is a 14 point swing.

A better secondary would have helped, but what a difference that one play would have made.

I like several the po-ten-tial of several young players on this roster to play a role in a succesful roster:

Dozier

Smith

Posey

Aboushi

D. Davis

Geno (has got this)

Williams

Pryor

Amaro

Carpenter (going with 26 not being old for a lineman)

One of McDougle or Milliner being something would be nice.

These good feeling threads never end well

2nd round WR picked by Mac.

Devin Smith is no Stephen Hill.

Book it.

See you next year when Smith is coasting to the endzone.

TOUCHDOWN!

When they go 4 WR sets with Kerley, Smith, Marshall, Decker and Amaro running straight down the middle of the field... what team other than the Jets has enough depth at the DB position to cover all these guys.

I wish we had the same DB play last year as we have this year. It would have made my trip to GB end on a happier note.

Its not a question as to how are they going to cover all these quality WR's.  The question is, will Smith be able to distinguish a Jet WR from an opposing CB.

I recall on draft day that I was thrilled that Devin was still there for us and even more thrilled when Mac selected him.  I think he was a the steal of the 2nd round.  Even if I'm only half right I think we've got a solid player in Smith.  The adults are finally in charge.  It's about freaking time Woody. 

Its not a question as to how are they going to cover all these quality WR's.  The question is, will Smith be able to distinguish a Jet WR from an opposing CB.

You don't have to worry.... since it will be Fitzpatrick distinguishing between players....

and heze a smartz gye!

dumb2.jpg

Peyton manning. Eli manning. Matt Ryan. Andy Dalton. Drew Brees. Phillip Rivers. To name a few. All had more interceptions last year than Geno Smith.

Stop with this bullsh*t. The only one on this list that's in the same sentence with Geno is Dalton (19TD/17INTs/3400YDS). The rest of them have double the TDs and nearly double the YDS as Geno (13TD/13INT/2500YDS). Just stop!

Peyton manning. Eli manning. Matt Ryan. Andy Dalton. Drew Brees. Phillip Rivers. To name a few. All had more interceptions last year than Geno Smith.

He missed 2 games last year and didn't play in the 2nd half of 2 others.  He also had 8 fumbles.  He was also pulled for Michael Vick.  Yes, the currently unemployed Michael Vick.

How many TD's did those guys throw?  How many did Geno throw?  Here, I'll help you out:

Peyton:  39

Brees:  33

Eli:  30

Matt Ryan:  28

Dalton:  19

Geno:  13

That's the difference between elite (Peyton, Brees), above average (Eli, Ryan), average (Dalton) and terrible (Geno), right there for everyone to see.  Even the best can throw a substantial # of picks, but they make up for it with a ton of upside.  Geno has displayed little or no upside, and will need to display some to keep his job.

Lol what a ridiculous argument. INTs are not the end of the world... If you make up for them by throwing a lot of TDs.

Whose The Jets Qb again? Jmo until they upgrade the qb position it really isn't going to matter what kind of weapons they have on paper. Skill players are still dependent on that Qb being able to get the ball to them.

Archived