Palladino: Jets' Talkative Culture Lives On After Rex

flgreen

Palladino: Jets’ Talkative Culture Lives On After Rex

Todd Bowles Needs To Lay Down The Law After Colon's Comments On Geno

June 5, 2015 6:45 AM

By Ernie Palladino

» More Ernie Palladino Columns

Some smart editor out there should make it a cardinal rule of sports journalism.

You need a story? Send a reporter to Jets practice. Or listen to one of their radio interviews. Somebody is bound to say something stupid.

Willie Colon served the purpose quite nicely this week with his SiriusXM comments directed at Geno Smith. In warning his anointed (at this point) starting quarterback not to crash the Porsche general manager Mike Maccagnan and new head coach Todd Bowles have built in that big garage in Florham Park, Colon proved only one thing. It wasn’t just Rex Ryan’s influence that created all the empty verbiage of the last six years.

It is part of the Jets’ culture, a deep-seated need to shoot one’s mouth off that the classy, cerebral Bowles must stamp out ASAP.

As of now, it is still alive and well, even as Ryan molds his new program in his own inimitable image in Buffalo. Boasts of challenging for the AFC East title and kicking the, uh, stuffing out of the Jets when they come down to MetLife Stadium on Nov. 12 have already flowed out of the head coach’s office.

That’s Rex. He likes to talk, and he doesn’t particularly mind that his players get chatty, even as his teams struggle. So expect to hear a Niagara of noise coming down from the New York northlands this year and every year he’s up there, however long that tenure lasts.

Down here, though, it was widely believed that the silliness would grind, if not to a halt, then to a minimum, under Bowles. Indeed, no one should expect to hear any proclamations about any refusal to kiss Bill Belichick’s rings from a coach who intends to confine all his meaningful talking to the meeting rooms.

Unfortunately, the philosophy hasn’t quite trickled down to the locker room yet. Colon’s blast, directed not at an opponent but at a quarterback trying to save his own career as well as his team’s offensive prospects, put even more pressure on a fragile mind. Smith’s confidence level falls far below that of a Tom Brady, after all.

A few missing pounds of air in a football will not cure Smith’s issues. The last thing he needed was one of his starting guards applying an extra-heavy guilt trip on him.

Colon wasn’t wrong, of course. The Jets should be much improved on both sides of the ball.

Maccagnan and Bowles have done a great job this offseason in reuniting the Darrelle Revis-Antonio Cromartie cornerback tandem that was once the scourge of the league. The best player in the draft, USC defensive end Leonard Williams, miraculously fell into their laps at No. 6. With any luck, Maccagnan will figure out Muhammad Wilkerson’s contract, and the defensive front will remain its ferocious self.

The addition of wide receiver Brandon Marshall and second-rounder Devin Smith of Ohio State gives Smith two potentially dynamic targets to go along with Eric Decker. Stevan Ridley and Zac Stacy were added to a backfield that already included powerful Chris Ivory and gritty Bilal Powell.

The way things stand, the Jets may not have a Porsche, but they do have a high-end BMW. And Smith has shown over the last two years that he is perfectly capable of turning its offensive engine into a junker.

So Colon was right in his warning. But he shouldn’t have said it at all. He would have done his unit more good if he followed Bowles’ philosophy.

“My personal feeling is, if you don’t have anything good to say about a teammate, you don’t say it,” Bowles told the media.

He might even have taken a page from Marshall’s playbook. The former Bear, Dolphin, and Bronco has become Smith’s biggest booster. Just the other day he was heard shouting encouragement and cheering a well-thrown pass during the Organized Team Activity session. He has waxed poetic about Smith’s intelligence and his unlimited potential.

Snicker away, but that’s the kind of talk Smith needs. Skeptics be damned.

Bowles needs to lay down his law quickly and effectively.

Got a gripe? Keep it to yourself. Stay off the back pages. Leave your teammates alone.

It may take some time to stamp out the loose-lipped, anything-goes culture of the Ryan years. As Holmes showed in 2011, it can destroy a locker room.

As Colon showed this week, it doesn’t help improve an already tough situation.

Until then, at least the Jets will keep us all entertained as the media darlings of the offseason.

:hand:

A beat writer says the Jets need to kill the talkative culture? Has this idiot taken into consideration how much fun his job would be then? Nah, this a$$hole would then write a column about how the Jets are an overly secretive organization that lacks personality.

Do the Jets really talk more than other teams or does every time a Jet actually opens his mouth simply reinforce a predetermined media-driven narrative?

If you go incident by incident of players shooting their mouth off over the past five years, I would be willing to wager there have been more stupid comments made by Giants players than Jets players. The media just decided a long time ago that the Giants were a buttoned-down, professional organization and the Jets were the brash, loud-mouthed upstarts. 

This predates Rex. This goes back to Namath. 

So one player made one comment, that was 100% right and the entire team is too talkative? Take one radio interview throw away line and turn into the culture of the team?

Funny when the Ginats were blabbing their way to a SB, I don't remember all the talk about the team needing to shut up. Jacobs, Strahan, Tuck, etc, all were a quote fest.

Wake up Ernie, Rex isn't here. Stop already

:hand:

A beat writer says the Jets need to kill the talkative culture? Has this idiot taken into consideration how much fun his job would be then? Nah, this a$$hole would then write a column about how the Jets are an overly secretive organization that lacks personality.

Do the Jets really talk more than other teams or does every time a Jet actually opens his mouth simply reinforce a predetermined media-driven narrative?

If you go incident by incident of players shooting their mouth off over the past five years, I would be willing to wager there have been more stupid comments made by Giants players than Jets players. The media just decided a long time ago that the Giants were a buttoned-down, professional organization and the Jets were the brash, loud-mouthed upstarts. 

This predates Rex. This goes back to Namath. 

Namath talking was Buddy Ryan's fault. 

You seem top believe that coaches are there to entertain us off the football field.

No wonder you love you some Rex.

That's not it at all Scott but having a coach with a fun personality to me isn't a bad thing.. I agree Rex had faults especially about the offense but he was fun IMO.. Pete Carroll was a fun coach as well.,even Hermie didn't put people to sleep.. Groh was a yawn machine though..

That's not it at all Scott but having a coach with a fun personality to me isn't a bad thing.. I agree Rex had faults especially about the offense but he was fun IMO.. Pete Carroll was a fun coach as well.,even Hermie didn't put people to sleep.. Groh was a yawn machine though..

You can be a "fun" coach and not "guarantee things", not tout6 every player as the next coming, not provide impetus for an opponent.

I have no problem with "fun". I have a problem with boastful.

You can be a "fun" coach and not "guarantee things", not tout6 every player as the next coming, not provide impetus for an opponent.

I have no problem with "fun". I have a problem with boastful.

To me Rex talks smack like fans do, I understand many fans think coaches shouldn't do that it just doesn't bother me.. Rex talking Super Bowls and not delivering reminds me of a Dad promising the kiddies candy and not buying any.. Kids and some Jet fans have the same reaction Wah I hate you which brings the tons of Rex hating threads we see 6 months after he left.. :animal0029:  

When you go to back-to-back AFC championship games the trash talk is great. When you go 4-12 you're a windbag that needs to shut up. One thing that has remained consistent in sports long before Rex or Colon or Buddy Ryan is that winning is the only thing people give a crap about.  Style points are irrelevant...

The difference is in Bowles' response to Colon's comments.  He called him out a little and let it known in front of the media that he won't tolerate that kind of talk.  Rex as much as I loved him would've probably defended the statement and talked up Colon in the process

Probably stood out because Colon called out Geno and Cromartie did the same to Sherman all in about what seemed like a span of 12 hours.  I was honestly surprised to hear such harsh commentary based on all of us assuming that that stuff would go away once Rex was gone.

I would have expected more discipline from this new regime. This is one thing that has surprised me. In media appearances Todd Bowles appears to be a no nonsense guy and I hope that part of his personality extends to the locker room.

Specially Colon's comments were head scratching. There is no benefit to the team because of those comments and it hurts team morale and unity.

Bowles will handle things if they get outta control or go too far.. Things are not outta control yet.

I want to see Bowles throw out a Parcells -ism of some kind, though.

"The player needs to shut his trap." ..or something like that.

I would have expected more discipline from this new regime. This is one thing that has surprised me. In media appearances Todd Bowles appears to be a no nonsense guy and I hope that part of his personality extends to the locker room.

Specially Colon's comments were head scratching. There is no benefit to the team because of those comments and it hurts team morale and unity.

Bowles didn't have a problem with it in his press conference..

Calm down buddy

To me Rex talks smack like fans do, I understand many fans think coaches shouldn't do that it just doesn't bother me.. Rex talking Super Bowls and not delivering reminds me of a Dad promising the kiddies candy and not buying any.. Kids and some Jet fans have the same reaction Wah I hate you which brings the tons of Rex hating threads we see 6 months after he left.. :animal0029:

That guy sounds like a terrible father.

Still no gain by putting this out in public.

But it was already out in public. Everybody knows this. They know that Geno has to prove himself. The stats tell the story.

Maybe there was no gain, but there is definitely no loss when not even Mehta or Cimini get on board.

Archived