Ben Graham Article

Gainzo

This is long but a good read.

Source: http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/03/12/1110567752428.html

Last October, Ben Graham raised eyebrows with his decision to leave resurgent AFL club Geelong for a career in American football. Now, for the first time, he speaks in depth to Warwick Green about his challenging journey to the NFL.

Four nights ago, a beaming five-year-old Sophie Graham emerged from her bedroom and proudly spread three drawings on the dinner table where her father was tucking into a meal. The first drawing was of the new house they would live in while in New York; the second was of her new school; the third was of a place she was dreaming they would soon visit - Disneyland.

Ben Graham would love to feel as certain as his daughter about what to expect upon arrival in the United States. The irony is he has had a glimpse of what awaits on the other side of the Pacific Ocean; his daughter is blissfully oblivious. Yet when the former Geelong captain boards a plane for Nevada later this month, he will be embarking on a journey into the unknown.

It is a daunting prospect, one he has contemplated constantly since last October when he astonished the AFL world by announcing his decision to quit Geelong and pursue a career as a US football punter.

While Graham is at pains to stress he "understands the position totally", he also admits the ramifications of signing a one-year contract with the New York Jets is something he discusses with his wife, Katie, every day. "Sometimes she loves the idea and can't wait, and at other times..." He tails away.

The point worth emphasising, however, is Graham's decision was not made on an end-of season whim. The Jets first made serious overtures to him back in 1997, when their then assistant coach Eric Mangini was visiting a brother who had an office in St Kilda Road.

At the time, Mangini arranged for Graham to complete a secret trial at a Geelong oval, filmed by several cameras, including a couple positioned in the grandstand. Although Mangini "started talking money, there and then", Graham was intent on fulfilling his AFL ambitions. The offer had sown a seed, though. In the following weekend's match, which several National Football League heavies watched from behind corporate glass, the Cats were winning comfortably and Graham decided to let rip with a few torpedoes from full-back. Even if it meant later wearing some flak from his teammates.

"(Playing in the NFL) is a dream I've always put on the backburner," Graham said last week, "but I was always going to do it at some time.

"For my entire career, I've always had people saying,

Gainzo thanks for this article - good and interesting reading. It is good to see that he is really putting alot of effort to make the transistion- going to a kicking academy and not just a half-hearted effort.

One question for you how much is 90 and 84 metres in yards if you can do that conversion for me

Gainzo thanks for this article - good and interesting reading. It is good to see that he is really putting alot of effort to make the transistion- going to a kicking academy and not just a half-hearted effort.

One question for you how much is 90 and 84 metres in yards if you can do that conversion for me

He really is making a full effort to improve his technique. I didn't know that Mangini was the guy who discovered him years ago. Very interesting.

Conversions:

90 metres = 98 yards

84 metres = 91 yards

He really is making a full effort to improve his technique. I didn't know that Mangini was the guy who discovered him years ago. Very interesting.

Conversions:

90 metres = 98 yards

84 metres = 91 yards

Gainzo,

What's the difference with the ball they use and a regular NFL football?

98 yards is a moon missile. :shock:

Gainzo,

What's the difference with the ball they use and a regular NFL football?

98 yards is a moon missile. :shock:

An Aussie Football is lighter and more rounded than an American Football. It is pretty hard to kick a spiral (called a torpedo) with an Aussie footy.

largeball_premred.jpg

An Aussie Football is lighter and more rounded than an American Football. It is pretty hard to kick a spiral (called a torpedo) with an Aussie footy.

largeball_premred.jpg

To be able to kick any type of ball almost 100 yards is pretty amazing in my book.

Did The Australian version of YJF write that article. LOL....Damn that was long... Maybe it was penned by YoungAussieBloke.

Ben Graham vs Micah Knorr in camp this year.

Leg strength is not the issue with Graham. There is alot more that goes into punting than leg strength.

He's worth a flyer and here's hoping that he sticks but this could be another Tony Meola situation.

Now you know I couldn't let this little tidbit slip by. :wink:

"Gimme a look at that ball. Hey, Chad (quarterback Chad Pennington), can you throw this thing?" (Answer: he tried, but couldn't quite get it spiralling)".

I soon as I read that I knew you would post something!

I figure that Graham could easily kick an American Football at least70 yards in the air. The thing he will have to work on is hangtime. In Aussie Rules hangtime is not a good thing.

If he's used to kicking accurately then he could try aiming his punts out of bounds 50 yards downfield instead.

Archived