Thurman Munson Bobble Head Night

Maxman

So I randomly picked a game to go to this year. Taking my oldest son, my Dad and my Father in Law. I picked this Thursday 6/18 against the Marlins. Was just trying to get a day that worked around everyones schedule. Got seats that I was happy with and I realized last week that it is actually Thurman Munson Bobble Head night.

Yes, I am pretty damn psyched about that. Thurman was my hero growing up.

Now I just have to make sure we are in the first 18,000 fans that enter to get the giveaway.  :)

Make sure you get there early Phil, those giveaways fly pretty quickly.

I know....was thinking of leaving at 4pm. Which should put me at the stadium just after 5pm. I think that will get us in the first 18,000. I hope.

So I randomly picked a game to go to this year. Taking my oldest son, my Dad and my Father in Law. I picked this Thursday 6/18 against the Marlins. Was just trying to get a day that worked around everyones schedule. Got seats that I was happy with and I realized last week that it is actually Thurman Munson Bobble Head night.

Yes, I am pretty damn psyched about that. Thurman was my hero growing up.

Now I just have to make sure we are in the first 18,000 fans that enter to get the giveaway. :)

Phil, what a great game !!! Hope you and your family had a great time. Did you get the bobble head ??

If only that a$$hole pitched to Alex you might've gotten a chance at #3,000!

I'm sad I never got to see this guy play I was too young.

I was a kid, living in NYC when Thurman died. I lived like 2 or 3 miles from the stadium. The Yankees were all we thought about at the beginning and end of every day. I remember exactly where I was and who told me when he passed away. Really sad.

Seeing his wife, and his family at the game yesterday on the field....that was really cool.

Phil, what a great game !!! Hope you and your family had a great time. Did you get the bobble head ??

If only that asshole pitched to Alex you might've gotten a chance at #3,000!

That pitcher got boo'ed something fierce! It would have been great to see. But the game was amazing. Going with my Dad, oldest son and Father in Law....just a great night.

And yes, I have a Thurman Munson bobble head. Just made it. :)

• 1 month later...

I was a kid, living in NYC when Thurman died. I lived like 2 or 3 miles from the stadium. The Yankees were all we thought about at the beginning and end of every day. I remember exactly where I was and who told me when he passed away. Really sad.

Seeing his wife, and his family at the game yesterday on the field....that was really cool.

Mt favorite player growing up. Thurman Munson and Sparky Lyle were signing autographed pics at the Brunswick Square mall in 1975 or 76.

I'm sad I never got to see this guy play I was too young.

One of the greatest clutch hitters of all time. and probably the toughest baseball player of all time.

In game 3 of the ALCS in 1978 the Yankees were down 2-1 in the bottom of the eighth with the series tied at 1-1 (5 game series). Roy White on first with 2 out and Paul splitorf pitching (a Yankee killer) Whitey Herzog (dumbest manager of all time) brings in Doug Bird to pitch to Munson (Munson had a lifetime 550 batting average against Bird) and he hit a tape measure home run well over the old 430ft mark in left center field and it short hopped the old left field bleacher wall. Rizzuto was going crazy on TV (Back then your regular announcers could do the playoffs, but not the world series). Yanks won the game and the series in 4.

Now in July of 1978 Munson was playing right field in KC and ran into the wall and separated his shoulder. he never said a word the entire season, not once. he had an off year (still had 100 rbi's. but he quietly had shoulder surgery in the off season. if you ever see the old highlights of davey lopes crashing into him at home plate in 78 world series when he couldnt get up. he was playing with a separated shoulder and a bad knee.

I was devastated when he died. he was my favorite Yankee.

My older brothers worshipped him say he was a warrior.

Archived