Bills set new season ticket sales record - article says Rex boosted sales

Flushing Roots

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First they hired Rex because Marone ran out leaving the Bills without a HC

Then they went with a guy who would put them on the map, would fire up the fanbase and sell season tickets.

No one would hire Rex because he's apthe best coach available, not off his last 4 seasons

Posters on this forum,  downstate news reporters  (NY Post, et al),  seem to be  about  the only sources that have anything negative to say about Rex.  The fan base is pumped because of our new owners, Rex and the players we've acquired this off season.  In retrospect,  Doug Marrone did us a huge favor when he left.  

In 6 years as JETS HC, he won more than 9 games once.

Was above 500 only twice.

Filmed his wife and his foot fettish.

Drafted his sons classmates.

Developed no offensive players

Single handed blew more games from the sidelines than he won from the sidelines.

If fans are excited by this guy...it speaks to a poor franchise.

Posters on this forum,  downstate news reporters  (NY Post, et al),  seem to be  about  the only sources that have anything negative to say about Rex.  The fan base is pumped because of our new owners, Rex and the players we've acquired this off season.  In retrospect,  Doug Marrone did us a huge favor when he left.

So what you're saying the people who saw Rex coach on a daily basis, fans, media etc don't think he's a good coach are complaining. While fans who buy anything and a couple of media people who really don't have a clue about what happened here disagree.

I can tell you this, when Rex was fired and it was thought that Marone would get the job it was nearly 100% unanimous that the Jets would upgrade in the deal. Marone out coached Rex every time we played

So what you're saying the people who saw Rex coach on a daily basis, fans, media etc don't think he's a good coach are complaining. While fans who buy anything and a couple of media people who really don't have a clue about what happened here disagree.

I can tell you this, when Rex was fired and it was thought that Marone would get the job it was nearly 100% unanimous that the Jets would upgrade in the deal. Marone out coached Rex every time we played

So why didn't the Jets hire Marrone?     Yes,  fans are complaining and some of their issues are legitimate.  However,  I also have to take into consideration that your GM didn't do his job.  And,  the fact that there was dissension between Idzik and Ryan. I think, for a time,  Johnson sided with Idzik.  This  made things worse.  As for Idzik,  he acquired 12 new players in 2014.  There's 6 left.  That's a pretty bad record IMO.  People want to blame Rex for these poor choices but ultimately it is the GM's responsibility to scout and acquire players.  In addition, in his Oct or Nov 2014 news conference,  Idzik  mentioned more than once,  that he took responsibility for this debacle (or words to that affect).   Rex knew he was losing his job (probably as early as 2013).  The long and short here is that the head coaching position is stressful enough.  Add in a poor relationship with the GM, the owner,  poor choice of players, possible job  loss and of course all of these factors are going to affect  one's performance.  It's a new day for Rex here in Buffalo.  From all outward appearances,  everyone (owners, gm, pres,and Rex),  the players love Rex.  Reports indicate that players acquired were brought in based upon criterion put together by the GM, HC and Pres.  Rex is not in jeopardy of losing his job.    And,  he will take us to the playoffs this season.  Seasoned QB or no seasoned QB.  I say we're going.  

the players love Rex. 

of course they do.  Most people would love a boss that runs the place like a country club, doesn't hold them accountable for anything, and consistently praises mediocrity.

Rex Ryan being the coach sells tickets? LoL have the Buffalo Bills fans seen what he did with the Jets the past four seasons of ineptitude. Rex Ryan is better suited for running a circus with all his antics and proclamations. I predict he wont win in Buffalo and he will end up on ESPN as an analyst in a few seasons. His team has no quarterback just like the Jets didn't  and still don't. 

Rex Ryan should be a stand up comedian instead of HC of the Buffalo Bills.

Rex doesn't hold his players accountable?  Here's an article about Manny Lawson missing "voluntary" OTA's.   Think Rex learned from his past.

Bills’ Lawson makes up for lost time

Rex Ryan doesn’t conceal much, and he was as transparent as could be regarding his feelings about Manny Lawson missing the early portion of the Buffalo Bills’ offseason workouts.

“I was mad at Manny, because he showed up for one day and took a lot of things off,” the coach said.

Yes, the “things” the Bills have been doing for the past couple of months have been voluntary for the players. Nevertheless, Ryan and the rest of the Bills’ new coaching staff are implementing new schemes on both sides of the ball.

The changes on defense are the most dramatic, because they involve plenty of pre-snap shifting and other assignment variations. For Lawson, a full-time end last season, it means spending more time at linebacker, sometimes outside and sometimes inside. It also means a whole lot of communicating on the field with the rest of the front seven and, at times, the secondary to make certain that everyone is on the same page on each snap.

Knowing how much there was for Lawson to handle mentally, Ryan was concerned that his absence from workouts would hurt him and the rest of the defense and the entire team. Despite being well aware of Lawson’s extensive experience as a 10th-year NFL veteran, Ryan worried about him falling behind.

“But when we started the OTAs, he came back and I said, ‘Woof! The guy’s impressive,’” Ryan said Wednesday, after the Bills’ next-to-last scheduled OTA session. “Now, it shouldn’t surprise me. I think his test score coming out” of North Carolina State before the San Francisco 49ers made him a first-round draft pick in 2006 “was the second-highest that I can remember for a defensive player next to Eric Smith, who’s one of our coaches now,” working as a special teams assistant. “He’s really a sharp guy.

“Coming in and knowing, not just his assignments, but how the defense works” was impressive. “And talking it up, making sure he’s pulling defensive linemen over in different fronts, talking to the ’backers, so he’s been really impressive that way.”

“And, obviously,” at 6-foot-5, “he’s got the height and the length that you look for, so I’m really pleased with him.”

Lawson is equally pleased with his new role, which is somewhat similar to the one he filled in 2013, when the Bills’ defense was run by Ryan coaching disciple Mike Pettine. Lawson started at linebacker in all of the 15 games he played that year. In 2014, he didn’t make a single start, spending the season as one of the backups to ends Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes.

During OTA practices, Lawson is a regular part of the starting defense. With Williams at outside linebacker and Hughes still at end, Lawson joins Nigel Bradham and Preston Brown in the linebacking corps, although sometimes he is back to being an end. Although contact isn’t allowed until training camp begins on July 31, Lawson has gotten a good feel for how often he’ll be in the thick of the action.

He describes his new capacity as “a broader or wider spectrum of my linebacker role” from two seasons ago. He also sees his versatility as going a long way toward helping to extend his NFL career.

“Man, I’m liking it a lot,” said Lawson, who joined the Bills as a free agent in 2013 after two seasons in Cincinnati. “I think it really utilizes my talents and it’s just a fun position to play.”

What does he like best about it?

“Really, that I can just run around and create chaos,” Lawson said. “I hit pretty much anything that moves and I have different responsibilities from rushing to dropping into man coverage. You never know what position or what our responsibility is.”

One constant, though, is communication. Lawson excels there because besides his natural intelligence, he also puts in the necessary time to study the game plan.

Even when he wasn’t participating in the earlier portion of offseason workouts, Lawson was very much up to speed on the complexities of the Bills’ new defense.

“The way that we look at it and the way I look at it is a loud defense is a good defense,” he said. “And everybody talks. If you talk about your assignment, if you know your checks, if you know what to expect, what might come through a motion or shift, that helps everybody on the defensive front. It’s from the guys on the back end to the guys on the front end, and just all communicating and everybody playing at once on defense.

“If it’s a coverage, I may be speaking to the guys behind me, to my safeties, letting them know what I’m doing. Or just telling them what I expect them to do or a simple confirmation, even. Is this the right check? So if I make an incorrect check, then somebody makes the check behind me, and I’ll say, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s the check we’re supposed to make.’ That’s where communication comes into play.”

With exceptional pass-rushers such as Williams and Hughes, and the dominant interior defensive line duo of Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams, Lawson usually finds himself with minimal resistance between himself and the quarterback.

In one respect, their considerable talent and production help make his job “tremendously easy.” But in another, they also put a great deal of pressure on him.

“We have a tremendous front and I look forward to the time that I get to go with those guys, because I can pretty much assure that they’re all going to be double teamed, which means I’m pretty much free,” Lawson said. “So I just can’t drop the ball. I just can’t miss the layup. When it’s there, I’ve got to make sure I get to the quarterback and get him down. I just don’t want it to be like, ‘Oh, man, he was free,’ and then I have them just joking and kidding me for the next three years. I can’t have that.”

He didn’t like having his coach mad at him, either, but so far he seems to be weathering that just fine.

http://www.buffalone...esc/1985-04-10/

Rex Ryan being the coach sells tickets? LoL have the Buffalo Bills fans seen what he did with the Jets the past four seasons of ineptitude. Rex Ryan is better suited for running a circus with all his antics and proclamations. I predict he wont win in Buffalo and he will end up on ESPN as an analyst in a few seasons. His team has no quarterback just like the Jets didn't  and still don't. 

Rex Ryan should be a stand up comedian instead of HC of the Buffalo Bills.

Well as much as I like Todd Bowles,  I don't think he'll be with the Jets for more than 2 years.  I don't think he's a good fit.  Mac will be there for a long time.

Rex doesn't hold his players accountable?  Here's an article about Manny Lawson missing "voluntary" OTA's.   Think Rex learned from his past.

Bills’ Lawson makes up for lost time

Rex Ryan doesn’t conceal much, and he was as transparent as could be regarding his feelings about Manny Lawson missing the early portion of the Buffalo Bills’ offseason workouts.

“I was mad at Manny, because he showed up for one day and took a lot of things off,” the coach said.

Yes, the “things” the Bills have been doing for the past couple of months have been voluntary for the players. Nevertheless, Ryan and the rest of the Bills’ new coaching staff are implementing new schemes on both sides of the ball.

The changes on defense are the most dramatic, because they involve plenty of pre-snap shifting and other assignment variations. For Lawson, a full-time end last season, it means spending more time at linebacker, sometimes outside and sometimes inside. It also means a whole lot of communicating on the field with the rest of the front seven and, at times, the secondary to make certain that everyone is on the same page on each snap.

Knowing how much there was for Lawson to handle mentally, Ryan was concerned that his absence from workouts would hurt him and the rest of the defense and the entire team. Despite being well aware of Lawson’s extensive experience as a 10th-year NFL veteran, Ryan worried about him falling behind.

“But when we started the OTAs, he came back and I said, ‘Woof! The guy’s impressive,’” Ryan said Wednesday, after the Bills’ next-to-last scheduled OTA session. “Now, it shouldn’t surprise me. I think his test score coming out” of North Carolina State before the San Francisco 49ers made him a first-round draft pick in 2006 “was the second-highest that I can remember for a defensive player next to Eric Smith, who’s one of our coaches now,” working as a special teams assistant. “He’s really a sharp guy.

“Coming in and knowing, not just his assignments, but how the defense works” was impressive. “And talking it up, making sure he’s pulling defensive linemen over in different fronts, talking to the ’backers, so he’s been really impressive that way.”

“And, obviously,” at 6-foot-5, “he’s got the height and the length that you look for, so I’m really pleased with him.”

Lawson is equally pleased with his new role, which is somewhat similar to the one he filled in 2013, when the Bills’ defense was run by Ryan coaching disciple Mike Pettine. Lawson started at linebacker in all of the 15 games he played that year. In 2014, he didn’t make a single start, spending the season as one of the backups to ends Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes.

During OTA practices, Lawson is a regular part of the starting defense. With Williams at outside linebacker and Hughes still at end, Lawson joins Nigel Bradham and Preston Brown in the linebacking corps, although sometimes he is back to being an end. Although contact isn’t allowed until training camp begins on July 31, Lawson has gotten a good feel for how often he’ll be in the thick of the action.

He describes his new capacity as “a broader or wider spectrum of my linebacker role” from two seasons ago. He also sees his versatility as going a long way toward helping to extend his NFL career.

“Man, I’m liking it a lot,” said Lawson, who joined the Bills as a free agent in 2013 after two seasons in Cincinnati. “I think it really utilizes my talents and it’s just a fun position to play.”

What does he like best about it?

“Really, that I can just run around and create chaos,” Lawson said. “I hit pretty much anything that moves and I have different responsibilities from rushing to dropping into man coverage. You never know what position or what our responsibility is.”

One constant, though, is communication. Lawson excels there because besides his natural intelligence, he also puts in the necessary time to study the game plan.

Even when he wasn’t participating in the earlier portion of offseason workouts, Lawson was very much up to speed on the complexities of the Bills’ new defense.

“The way that we look at it and the way I look at it is a loud defense is a good defense,” he said. “And everybody talks. If you talk about your assignment, if you know your checks, if you know what to expect, what might come through a motion or shift, that helps everybody on the defensive front. It’s from the guys on the back end to the guys on the front end, and just all communicating and everybody playing at once on defense.

“If it’s a coverage, I may be speaking to the guys behind me, to my safeties, letting them know what I’m doing. Or just telling them what I expect them to do or a simple confirmation, even. Is this the right check? So if I make an incorrect check, then somebody makes the check behind me, and I’ll say, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s the check we’re supposed to make.’ That’s where communication comes into play.”

With exceptional pass-rushers such as Williams and Hughes, and the dominant interior defensive line duo of Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams, Lawson usually finds himself with minimal resistance between himself and the quarterback.

In one respect, their considerable talent and production help make his job “tremendously easy.” But in another, they also put a great deal of pressure on him.

“We have a tremendous front and I look forward to the time that I get to go with those guys, because I can pretty much assure that they’re all going to be double teamed, which means I’m pretty much free,” Lawson said. “So I just can’t drop the ball. I just can’t miss the layup. When it’s there, I’ve got to make sure I get to the quarterback and get him down. I just don’t want it to be like, ‘Oh, man, he was free,’ and then I have them just joking and kidding me for the next three years. I can’t have that.”

He didn’t like having his coach mad at him, either, but so far he seems to be weathering that just fine.

http://www.buffalone...esc/1985-04-10/

just a facade.  Rex holds nobody accountable.  Just wait and see.  You are being delusional about him.  He runs the softest camp in the NFL and lets his players do virtually anything they want.  He praises mediocrity or worse and his "favorites" can play like complete sh!t and never fear being benched.  Rex had 6 years to change and never did.  If you think it will be any different up in Buffalo, then you are sadly mistaken.

Considering it's been 16 years it's like predicting SB, ;)

Yes, but we went 9&7 last year with essentially the same (if not better this year) defense, our offense has improved and I think we will have a QB to get us to the playoffs.  

Yes, but we went 9&7 last year with essentially the same (if not better this year) defense, our offense has improved and I think we will have a QB to get us to the playoffs.

Let's face it, no matter what happens up until opening day, you see it as good news and an improvement

Sure we can tell that your defense is better because a complete scrub QB lit them up. Something doesn't make sense

We're running 2 fields.  Don't know if Taylor was playing with our front line, secondary or both.  We do have defense men competing 

LOL, I dont think you can control yourself

Jet Nut:  You're right.  There's so much hype here, it's pretty difficult to stay anywhere but up.  I am just really concerned about our first 2 games (Colts and Patriots).  

While you have a better RB, I would put Orton above Cassel or any of the other guys on the roster.

Not to mention you were 8-7 and the Pats laid down in the final game to give you the 9th win. If they played all their starters then who knows if you guys still win that game.

Jet Nut:  You're right.  There's so much hype here, it's pretty difficult to stay anywhere but up.  I am just really concerned about our first 2 games (Colts and Patriots).  

You're playing the Pats without Brady and a rookie going against your D, you got a gift.

You're playing the Pats without Brady and a rookie going against your D, you got a gift.

Yes and in absence of Marcell Dareus in our game against the Colts,  they also have an extra advantage.   NFL teams all face these types of disadvantages,  mainly because of injuries.  However,  a win is a win.  

While you have a better RB, I would put Orton above Cassel or any of the other guys on the roster.

Not to mention you were 8-7 and the Pats laid down in the final game to give you the 9th win. If they played all their starters then who knows if you guys still win that game.

Yes and in the absence of Brady,  we  played this game with footballs that met the NFL psi  standards.  

Archived