Geno Smith Pulls Away in New York Jets QB Competition

JetBlue

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think he won't make it, but I hope he does.  If he could learn just 2 things, watching him would not be so maddening.  When you are under pressure, step up in the pocket.  Don't run backwards.  Really frustrating to watch.  Also, don't hold the ball for 2 minutes.  If it is not there, throw it away and play another down.

If he could figure out those 2 things, he may be ok.

Once the pressure is on, he looks like a chicken with it's head cut off.  That needs to stop.  The problem is, you can't see that in practice, wearing a red jersey.

We will see...

All stems from watching Geno "play" the last two years.   Forget all these media fluff pieces.  We won't know if Geno has progressed until he lines up when the season starts.

Well, Geno has actually progressed over the last two years if only incrementally; his biggest challenge has been inconsistency which is not uncommon with young inexperienced players. The fact that that most of his career he has been throwing to the likes of Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill, Jeff Cumberland, David Nelson, Greg Salas etc. didn't help.  Now that he has more NFL caliber offensive players around him let's see if he can take that next step in his development.   

Well, Geno has actually progressed over the last two years if only incrementally; his biggest challenge has been inconsistency which is not uncommon with young inexperienced players. The fact that that most of his career he has been throwing to the likes of Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill, Jeff Cumberland, David Nelson, Greg Salas etc. didn't help.  Now that he has more NFL caliber offensive players around him let's see if he can take that next step in his development.   

We'll agree to disagree.  As the person mentioned above, he still has not learned to dump the ball or run 20 yard backwards when the pressure is on.  I also hate that he seems to have an innate penchant for throwing INTs, especially pick sixes, in the red zone.

It's sink or swim time for Geno.

geno will be solid-I cant wait to the see that haters backpedal and jump on the bandwagon-geno is going to put up very good numbers this year-now he has some legit skill players to work with-he will reduce his turnovers as he actually has guys that can and will go after the ball-very easy to gain confidence when you have confidence in the guys you are throwing too. If you were geno would you rather drop back and know if you throw it bmarsh is going to to all he can to catch it or Nelson who cant catch it no matter where you throw it

Personally, I think he won't make it, but I hope he does.  If he could learn just 2 things, watching him would not be so maddening.  When you are under pressure, step up in the pocket.  Don't run backwards.  Really frustrating to watch.  Also, don't hold the ball for 2 minutes.  If it is not there, throw it away and play another down.

If he could figure out those 2 things, he may be ok.

Once the pressure is on, he looks like a chicken with it's head cut off.  That needs to stop.  The problem is, you can't see that in practice, wearing a red jersey.

We will see...

One of interesting parts of the article is how much better Geno is operating in the Shotgun formation and that is a big part of Gaileys Spread offense.    I think Gailey and Patello will continue to drill into his head to make smarter decisions with ball.    We will see what happens. 

We'll agree to disagree.  As the person mentioned above, he still has not learned to dump the ball or run 20 yard backwards when the pressure is on.  I also hate that he seems to have an innate penchant for throwing INTs, especially pick sixes, in the red zone.

It's sink or swim time for Geno.

How do you know this until you see him play in camp or preseason?  That is just YOUR assumption.  Don't you think HE KNOWS HE HAS TO IMPROVE ON THIS TOO???   

I was talking about the past two years.  As I said in my initial post, we won't know if Geno has progressed until the season starts.

Fair enough.  The point is every thing you think he has to improve on, HE KNOWS he has to improve on TOO.   He also knows this is probably his last shot at starting for the Jets or maybe any NFL team.  With that kind of motivation I would be shocked if he didn't improve. 

Fair enough.  The point is every thing you think he has to improve on, HE KNOWS he has to improve on TOO.   He also knows this is probably his last shot at starting for the Jets or maybe any NFL team.  With that kind of motivation I would be shocked if he didn't improve. 

Like most of us, I hope you're right.  But I can remember fans having the same argument about Sanchez.  Some guys just don't have "it" to succeed in the NFL.  My gut (and eyes) tell me that Geno is that boat.  Again, I hope you're right.

Like most of us, I hope you're right.  But I can remember fans having the same argument about Sanchez.  Some guys just don't have "it" to succeed in the NFL.  My gut (and eyes) tell me that Geno is that boat.  Again, I hope you're right.

No doubt but I refuse force Geno to carry Sanchez' baggage.  I am going to judge him on what he does or doesn't do. What Sanchez or any other player did is totally irrelevant.     Geno, unlike Sanchez, never had a quality team around him, until now.   

I was talking about the past two years.  As I said in my initial post, we won't know if Geno has progressed until the season starts.

This is really the only sentiment that matters on this topic. 

If Geno is the t!ts, then it's a good thing for us. If not, then Ryan Fitzpatrick and crossing our fingers is the only other option. The rest is just bickering for the sake of bickering. We need Geno to get it. Nobody knows how he's going to take to an additional year of experience and new coaching, but arguing that he hit his ceiling already and can't possibly get better than being one of the worst QBs in football is short-sighted. It ignores the history of this league, specifically the QB position.

If Geno is the t!ts, then it's a good thing for us. If not, then Ryan Fitzpatrick and crossing our fingers is the only other option. The rest is just bickering for the sake of bickering. We need Geno to get it. Nobody knows how he's going to take to an additional year of experience and new coaching, but arguing that he hit his ceiling already and can't possibly get better than being one of the worst QBs in football is short-sighted. It ignores the history of this league, specifically the QB position.

Yup.

Tremendous post.  

Tyler Thigpen didn't have "it", but Chan made it work quite well. I believe our offense can produce with Geno or Ryan in there, to me it's a matter of how much better than "doing enough" can Geno be. I look forward to seeing if he takes to the new coaching, and it translates to reps that matter, not just practice reports.

Otherwise, I'm all-in on the beard.

Tyler Thigpen didn't have "it", but Chan made it work quite well. I believe our offense can produce with Geno or Ryan in there, to me it's a matter of how much better than "doing enough" can Geno be. I look forward to seeing if he takes to the new coaching, and it translates to reps that matter, not just practice reports.

Otherwise, I'm all-in on the beard.

What?  What'd he throw, like three passes?

Put the brakes on Francis...... ;-)

Brakes? This train doesn't have any brakes! 

Our QB just pulled away from the competition in minicamp! Did you read that, MINICAMP!!!

Get on board the train, its leaving the station and not waiting for anyone.

Brakes? This train doesn't have any brakes! 

Our QB just pulled away from the competition in minicamp! Did you read that, MINICAMP!!!

Get on board the train, its leaving the station and not waiting for anyone.

4dcf58e960583a63fc77463c303dd2737a365aec

We can't cross our fingers and play Bryce Petty?

Archived