One more QB thread; who would you rather? Sanchez/Smith

LIJetsFan

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your personal low bar of being "concerned" so doesn't make it so. I watched it after the fact as well, as I had it DVR'd while watching live and we discussed it to death here for some time. His numbers make it look like he had a far better game than he had. There were a number of simply bad passes and missed opportunities in addition to spotting the opposition more points than the final margin of loss. The defensive performance in the first half deserves all the blame it's gotten. Bad as the D was out of the gate, the net result is the offense had to put up all of 15 points more than it surrendered. So style points aside, the result of the complaints amount to failing to hold Pittsburgh's offense to only 9 (net) points instead of 15. This would have allowed the offense's 10 net points to result in a winner.

The QB is gone. The HC is gone. The OC is gone. The GM is gone.

I'm happy. You should be as well. 

If Smith is no better - if he improves enough to hang on to the starting job but not enough to actually be an asset, or if Fitzpatrick takes the job and is meh himself - then 2015 will be another lost opportunity. The public boasting of a small # of players aside, the truth is they know when they're on a stacked team and when they're on a crappy one. So as bad as Smith was the first 2 seasons any reasonable person knows it would take a remarkable QB in his prime to turn either of the last 2 teams into a winner. Hard as it has been to watch at times, he really didn't kill the team's chances because they didn't have any realistic ones to begin with.

We'll see what he turns into (or if he turns into something different than we've seen so far).

You mean he missed passes in that game?? Oh crap, I change my stance, you are right, totally his fault, so glad he is gone.

I am sorry for you however that your coach is gone, you love you some sexy rexy huh.....

I have watched the Pittsburg game at least 5 times, and as far as I am concerned Sanchez was one of the better players on either side of the ball for the Jets that day. I assume you are referring to the sack/strip 6, which in my opinion after watching that play a million times, I would put him 4th on the blame list on that play, and I don't even think its totally fair to blame him for that play. 

The Jets as a team came out flat, Oline was not opening holes, the backs had no room to run, the WR's were getting thrown off their routes and not fighting, and the defense completely sh*t the bed. Sanchez brought them back from the dead in that game, and had the defense made one key stop he likely would have won that game for him.

I was against drafting them where they did, I thought he was a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder with potential but the need to sit a year or two to mature.

I expected him to suck balls in 09, which he did, and was shocked that he did not suck balls in the playoffs. Lets not forget he made a beautiful play late in the 2nd quarter in the AFCCG to give the Jets a 2 score lead, which the defense promptly gave up with horrible play calls, and horrible execution.

In 2010 he was not good, but showed pretty good improvement in what should have been his first season as a starter, or 2nd season on the bench. He saved their ass on multiple occasions when the defense gave up a late score, and finished the year with respectable numbers, and had a good playoff run if not a very good playoff run.

Sanchez came out too early, was handled horribly, and the biggest problem was that Rex, nor the fan base saw him for what he was, and projected him to be something he was not.

2011 offseason and the season itself was the absolute destruction of a QB who could have been decent. A decent QB in this league can win, there is one that shares the stadium with us with 2 rings.

Again, I would love to know what you expected from a 1st or 2nd year QB, who came out early, was started way too early, and handled horribly from day 1, particularly in those first two years.

This post was and is my feeling today and I never hear a rationale answer to these basic and straight forward points...

So thank you!!

I am curious to hear what you actually expected from Sanchez in year 1 or 2 if you were so disappointed in him after 2010? The guy had zero business starting in 2009, and 2010 should have been his first year playing. Despite that he performed reasonably well in the playoffs both years and was not the reason they lost in either of the elimination games they played in those two years. In 2010 he put up respectable numbers, and came up big in multiple games in which the defense blew a lead very late in the game.

That reminds me of what the Tuna said about Tony Romo...

Here are some of the Cowboys-related highlights from “Parcells: A Football Life.”

– Parcells to Tony Romo during his rookie year: “You’re never going to get it. You know what you are, Romo? You’re a ball in high grass.”

Romo: “What does that mean?”

Parcells: “Lost.”

– Parcells on not wanting to play Romo too early in his career:

“If I had put in Romo in his first year and just let him play, he would have been out of football in a year and a half. He was just a gunslinger. He was indiscriminate. And he would do [expletive] that you just can’t succeed doing. But after a year or two of practicing in the preseason, getting his [reps], you could see he had a real good chance to come along.

That reminds me of what the Tuna said about Tony Romo...

Here are some of the Cowboys-related highlights from “Parcells: A Football Life.”

– Parcells to Tony Romo during his rookie year: “You’re never going to get it. You know what you are, Romo? You’re a ball in high grass.”

Romo: “What does that mean?”

Parcells: “Lost.”

– Parcells on not wanting to play Romo too early in his career:

“If I had put in Romo in his first year and just let him play, he would have been out of football in a year and a half. He was just a gunslinger. He was indiscriminate. And he would do [expletive] that you just can’t succeed doing. But after a year or two of practicing in the preseason, getting his [reps], you could see he had a real good chance to come along.

Sad that Mark could have probably become more with this type of thinking.

Sad that Mark could have probably become more with this type of thinking.

You gotta break em down before you can build em back up. Rex is only interested in being the cool dad. Parcells was the "pull down your pants and spank you in front of your friends if you screwed up" kind of dad.

You gotta break em down before you can build em back up. Rex is only interested in being the cool dad. Parcells was the "pull down your pants and spank you in front of your friends if you screwed up" kind of dad.

And that's why if Buffalo doesn't sign a proven QB during Ryan's tenture... They are just as doomed as we were.

m'kay

I still would like to hear what you expected from Sanchez in 2009 and 2010, and what you would have defined as a success from him coming off the 2010 season. I am not trying to be a pain, I just honestly would like to know. 2011 was a disaster, I think everyone can agree to that, and we probably disagree on where the blame goes for that, which is fine.

But I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone could have hoped for much more from Sanchez in 09 or 10 considering what he was when he was drafted, so I'd love to hear some perspective.

As far as I can recall, short of Rothlesberger, Luck and Wilson, in the past 15 years, no QB starting day one from the draft has had better results in their first two seasons than Sanchez had. And, Luck and Rothlesberger were probably far, far better prepared to start in the NFL than Sanchez was. Wilson probably was as well.

Agree with whoever wrote sanchezs upside was alex smith if he had competent coaching.

I think he would have been a different type of player, but I think as far as contribution to his team, this is a great comparison. I think if we had Alex Smith as our QB this year, we would legitimately be thinking we were among the best in the AFC.

I still would like to hear what you expected from Sanchez in 2009 and 2010, and what you would have defined as a success from him coming off the 2010 season. I am not trying to be a pain, I just honestly would like to know. 2011 was a disaster, I think everyone can agree to that, and we probably disagree on where the blame goes for that, which is fine.

But I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone could have hoped for much more from Sanchez in 09 or 10 considering what he was when he was drafted, so I'd love to hear some perspective.

As far as I can recall, short of Rothlesberger, Luck and Wilson, in the past 15 years, no QB starting day one from the draft has had better results in their first two seasons than Sanchez had. And, Luck and Rothlesberger were probably far, far better prepared to start in the NFL than Sanchez was. Wilson probably was as well.

M'kay.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco had much, much better starts to their careers. We're much better QBs than Sanchez could ever have hoped to be. And after the first two years the list is too big to go into.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco had much, much better starts to their careers. We're much better QBs than Sanchez could ever have hoped to be. And after the first two years the list is too big to go into.

Andy Dalton started as a rookie and made the Pro Bowl year 1..

Andy Dalton started as a rookie and made the Pro Bowl year 1..

I figured he would come back with Dalton didn't make the playoffs so just used these two as examples. Ryan and Flacco were integral in wins their first seasons. Sanchez went for the ride.

I figured he would come back with Dalton didn't make the playoffs so just used these two as examples. Ryan and Flacco were integral in wins their first seasons. Sanchez went for the ride.

Bengals made the playoffs in 2011 they lost the wild card game 31-10 to the Texans..

Archived