" Colin Kaepernick to the Jets ? " ? ? ?

kelly

The New York Jets have made some great moves to rebuilding there team in 2015, however one position that is still up in the air is the team’s starting QB.However, depending on how things go this season the Jets might look to make a move on a player like Colin Kaepernick.

According to The Big Lead, when the 49ers take the field for the first time in 2015 they will not look like the same team they were in 2014. They lost about a half a dozen starters via free agency and retirement. The biggest holdover from that era is QB Colin Kaepernick, who the 49ers gave a lot of money to in the summer of 2014. He proceeded to regress badly, which could be part of Harbaugh’s ugly situation.

John Clayton of ESPN writes if the 49ers find themselves in a situation where the team goes 5-11 they might be tempted to trade Kaepernick to a quarterback starved franchise, like the Jets, for the right price.

The Jets Top 15 pick in the 2016 draft and Muhammad Wilkerson (who fills the Justin Smith void) is a good jumping off point. The Jets might have to toss in one more middle-round pick to make it work.

Wilkerson is certainly a great option to build a major trade around,and depending on how Geno Smith plays this season Jets fans will get a better idea of what the future may hold for their franchise.The Jets might not be willing to give up as much as the 49ers would be looking for, and there no telling if Niners will truly fall apart in 2015. But, expect some sort of trade talk rumbles to happen if things don’t go their way.

> http://nyc.suntimes.com/new-york-jets/7/86/226557/colin-kaepernick-jets

Please let this happen!  Even if Kaepernick sucks, at least we took a chance on having a team that could succeed.  It really feels like we're a legit QB away from being a potential contender.  And sign Evan Mathis while we're at it.

I realize it's the summer and people have ****all to write about. Still....

Clayton is assuming the jets miss the playoffs this year (top 15 pick in '16?) AND we're giving up a #1 and a decent roster player for a gimmicky QB with questionable maturity, whose game has been figured out by the rest of the league now. Oh yeah, he's contract kinda sucks too.

Something tells me Macc is better at asset management than that.

Please let this happen!  Even if Kaepernick sucks, at least we took a chance on having a team that could succeed.  It really feels like we're a legit QB away from being a potential contender.  And sign Evan Mathis while we're at it.

Kaepernick is just as good as the Fitz/Geno combination, except that we'd be giving away Mo Wilk and a future 1st rounder. My math says this makes us worse.

I want to insult you right now, but I won't because you seem like a good guy who maybe read the article wrong.

The New York Jets have made some great moves to rebuilding there team in 2015, however one position that is still up in the air is the team’s starting QB.However, depending on how things go this season the Jets might look to make a move on a player like Colin Kaepernick.

According to The Big Lead, when the 49ers take the field for the first time in 2015 they will not look like the same team they were in 2014. They lost about a half a dozen starters via free agency and retirement. The biggest holdover from that era is QB Colin Kaepernick, who the 49ers gave a lot of money to in the summer of 2014. He proceeded to regress badly, which could be part of Harbaugh’s ugly situation.

John Clayton of ESPN writes if the 49ers find themselves in a situation where the team goes 5-11 they might be tempted to trade Kaepernick to a quarterback starved franchise, like the Jets, for the right price.

The Jets Top 15 pick in the 2016 draft and Muhammad Wilkerson (who fills the Justin Smith void) is a good jumping off point. The Jets might have to toss in one more middle-round pick to make it work.

Wilkerson is certainly a great option to build a major trade around,and depending on how Geno Smith plays this season Jets fans will get a better idea of what the future may hold for their franchise.The Jets might not be willing to give up as much as the 49ers would be looking for, and there no telling if Niners will truly fall apart in 2015. But, expect some sort of trade talk rumbles to happen if things don’t go their way.

> http://nyc.suntimes.com/new-york-jets/7/86/226557/colin-kaepernick-jets

Hey Caitlin~~~~~ 

Don't post dumb sh*t like this.

We still have two more years of Wilk on the cheap but if Mac&Co don't intend to pay him then a trade would be the move, although an argument could also be made for letting him walk and getting a high round comp pick the following year.

I don't know if an expensive young QB with a bad leg is the way to go.  I certainly don't want to give up a a first round draft pick to boot on any deal with this degree of franchize crippling risk.

Kaepernick is just as good as the Fitz/Geno combination, except that we'd be giving away Mo Wilk and a future 1st rounder. My math says this makes us worse.

I want to insult you right now, but I won't because you seem like a good guy who maybe read the article wrong.

LOL, you may very well be correct.  But we have a potentially great D and it's probably only going to be together for about 2-3 years (due to the salary cap). 

Our O actually might have some weapons.  Marshall/Decker/Smith/Kerley/Amaro seems like a solid receiving corps and Ivory/Powell should make us reasonably solid at RB.  Our OL is questionable but it should be passable.  The only thing that really stands out in a bad way on this team is QB (which just happens to be the most important position on the field).  Having a chance to upgrade QB to a guy who seemingly is a top 15 feels like it would be a huge upgrade for us. 

Having said the above, I admit that usually deals like this don't work out anyway (in any sport).

I realize it's the summer and people have ****all to write about. Still....

Clayton is assuming the jets miss the playoffs this year (top 15 pick in '16?) AND we're giving up a #1 and a decent roster player for a gimmicky QB with questionable maturity, whose game has been figured out by the rest of the league now. Oh yeah, he's contract kinda sucks too.

Something tells me Macc is better at asset management than that.

John Clayton is a ******* nerd. 

LOL, you may very well be correct.  But we have a potentially great D and it's probably only going to be together for about 2-3 years (due to the salary cap). 

Our O actually might have some weapons.  Marshall/Decker/Smith/Kerley/Amaro seems like a solid receiving corps and Ivory/Powell should make us reasonably solid at RB.  Our OL is questionable but it should be passable.  The only thing that really stands out in a bad way on this team is QB (which just happens to be the most important position on the field).  Having a chance to upgrade QB to a guy who seemingly is a top 15 feels like it would be a huge upgrade for us. 

Having said the above, I admit that usually deals like this don't work out anyway (in any sport).

I understand the sentiment, but in my opinion it's not "taking a chance" to trade away prized commodities like Wilk and a first rounder for a QB that hasn't really shown himself to be anywhere close to better than what you've already got.

You trade Wilk for Rivers, if your goal is to become an instant contender. You don't trade a top three 3-4 DE for a coach that went back to college's failed project QB.

Your flaw is that he isn't a top 15 guy.  If we're giving up our 2016 1st and Wilk, it had better be for the top QB in the 2016 draft class or a QB who is already top 10.  Like Brees or Rivers.

Rex is that you?

So in essence JETS trade away 2 first rounders and a middle round pick for Kaep. Wow...just WOW!

What only mo wilk and our 1st rounder?  No no I say!  We better add richardson and revis for gods sake!

I'll admit I don't know if Mo Wilk and a 1st rounder is considered "fair"  (nor to which side that it would be unfair to). However, I can safely say that QBs are absolutely at a premium.  Kaep has a track record too as he made the conference championship twice and the SB once.  Admittedly Sanchez got to the conference title game twice as well and Trent Dilfer won a SB so these things are hardly guarantees. 

I also have to say that I didn't see Kaep play at all last year and I heard he did go backwards.  So he might not even be the player I'm thinking he is (the one from a couple of years ago).  Interestingly, I don't even care for Kaep as a person (from what I've seen, he seems kinda thuggish) but I do think he's got ability as a player.  I think he's got a very strong arm, is tough, durable and a great runner.

Wow, talk about over selling a player!!!  And I like Kaep!  Hell no!  Maybe Him straight up for Wilk and a swap of 2nd or 3rd round picks or something, but Wilk PLUS a 1st rounder AND a mid rounder?  Is the writer on DRUGS??   Truth of the matter I wouldn't be surprised if Geno outplays him this year. 

Your flaw is that he isn't a top 15 guy.  If we're giving up our 2016 1st and Wilk, it had better be for the top QB in the 2016 draft class or a QB who is already top 10.  Like Brees or Rivers.

Hmm, I haven't really gone through all the QBs in the NFL but I would guess Kaep is right around 15th.  It feels like there are probably 10 bad QBs in the league and another 5-7 who aren't bad but who are below Kaep. 

We still have two more years of Wilk on the cheap but if Mac&Co don't intend to pay him then a trade would be the move, although an argument could also be made for letting him walk and getting a high round comp pick the following year.

I don't know if an expensive young QB with a bad leg is the way to go. I certainly don't want to give up a a first round draft pick to boot on any deal with this degree of franchize crippling risk.

I think the franchise tag figure is over $15M but I get your point. Id trade mo for kap straight up but no way I would include a first round pick

Hmm, I haven't really gone through all the QBs in the NFL but I would guess Kaep is right around 15th.  It feels like there are probably 10 bad QBs in the league and another 5-7 who aren't bad but who are below Kaep. 

Based on DVOA, Kaep was the 29th-ranked QB in the NFL last season.  Behind the likes of Kyle Orton and Brian Hoyer.

And I don't think it's much of an anomaly either.  The NFL figured him out.  Is that really someone you'd want to take a chance on?  By saying you'd give up Wilkerson and a 1st, you're saying you'd give up one elite player and one potentially elite player to get a QB who cannot be considered elite.  Not a good trade.

I'm sticking with what I've felt all along.  I want to at least give Gailey a chance to get Geno's game to improve. I've never felt he was put in a position to succeed since he was drafted.  If he spits the bit this year and the turnovers/dumb decisions still occur with regularity I will agree to line up with many other of the other posters who are certain he's unfixable...

Based on DVOA, Kaep was the 29th-ranked QB in the NFL last season.  Behind the likes of Kyle Orton and Brian Hoyer.

And I don't think it's much of an anomaly either.  The NFL figured him out.  Is that really someone you'd want to take a chance on?  By saying you'd give up Wilkerson and a 1st, you're saying you'd give up one elite player and one potentially elite player to get a QB who cannot be considered elite.  Not a good trade.

Conquering hero or Kaepernick? 

Kaps career numbers are 25-14, comp % of 60+, 8415 yes, 50 TDs, 21 INTs and a QB rating of 90.6. Everything fell apart in SF last year with Harbaugh's situation. I'd take this in a minute.

If we could get him for Mo, a 2nd and Geno that would work, worth it

I'll admit I don't know if Mo Wilk and a 1st rounder is considered "fair"  (nor to which side that it would be unfair to). However, I can safely say that QBs are absolutely at a premium.  Kaep has a track record too as he made the conference championship twice and the SB once.  Admittedly Sanchez got to the conference title game twice as well and Trent Dilfer won a SB so these things are hardly guarantees. 

I also have to say that I didn't see Kaep play at all last year and I heard he did go backwards.  So he might not even be the player I'm thinking he is (the one from a couple of years ago).  Interestingly, I don't even care for Kaep as a person (from what I've seen, he seems kinda thuggish) but I do think he's got ability as a player.  I think he's got a very strong arm, is tough, durable and a great runner.

Ok, Just know PFF had colin kaepernick listed as #28 overall QB, Ryan Fitzpatrick as #12, Mark Sanchez as #27, and Geno Smith #36, last year. It looks like we already have a better QB then Kaep on our team. As a matter of act we cut a better QB in the 2014 offseason, then Kaep was in 2014.

Ok, Just know PFF had colin kaepernick listed as #28 overall QB, Ryan Fitzpatrick as #12, Mark Sanchez as #27, and Geno Smith as #36, It looks like we already have a better QB then Kaep on our team.

Possibly.  Again, I want to reiterate that I didn't see Kaep last year so I'm kind of going off of what I saw of him prior to that.  Not sure how much I trust advanced stats though.  I'm not convinced you can boil a player into a ranking based on stats.  I think the NFL is very much a team sport (as opposed to say the NBA where one player can make a whole team) and so there's a lot of moving parts that make things hard to judge.  I will also say that I don't have a great history of judging QBs well so I will trust Maccagnan's judgment.

Archived