What's the deal with Rex bringing back ex-Jets?

FSU_Jet

Between Harvin, Mulligan, Hunter, Conner and so forth, all Rex is doing is bringing back former Jet players from years past. Does he really believe these guys will help Buffalo win, or is it just a matter of irrational loyalty? It would be one thing if they were any good and just happened to be readily available, but they were all bad players in NY. What's the deal?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean from a logical point of view it is easier to train players who you already know and have worked with than ones you have never seen before, it would not be a bad strategy as a short term patch if he planned on moving on from the ex Jet players when he gets the opportunity to upgrade. This way he can work with players who already know him and as he gets new and better players the former Jets can help him to train their replacements or something like that.

Rexnatoin.com going strong.

Why on earth would a Head Coach bring in players that he's familiar with?  You never see this with other Head Coaches.  Look at Chip Kelly for example, he's smart and stays far away from Oregon players. 

Between Harvin, Mulligan, Hunter, Conner and so forth, all Rex is doing is bringing back former Jet players from years past. Does he really believe these guys will help Buffalo win, or is it just a matter of irrational loyalty? It would be one thing if they were any good and just happened to be readily available, but they were all bad players in NY. What's the deal?

It's common in any industry for new leadership to bring a crew with them,  you bring in guys you are familiar with and you know what you'll get out of them.  

I mean from a logical point of view it is easier to train players who you already know and have worked with than ones you have never seen before, it would not be a bad strategy as a short term patch if he planned on moving on from the ex Jet players when he gets the opportunity to upgrade. This way he can work with players who already know him and as he gets new and better players the former Jets can help him to train their replacements or something like that.

Remember all his moves in his failed attempts to dethrone the Pats?

EDIT:  Sorry, I quoted the wrong person.   Meant FSU's comment.

Most coaches do that.   He brought ex-Ravens here. 

Parcells had his guys, Mangini brought some to Cleveland.  Adds an element of locker room control

It's common in any industry for new leadership to bring a crew with them, you bring in guys you are familiar with and you know what you'll get out of them.

Is it also common to bring a crew of your worst performers, Mr. Iacocca?

The deal is simple: Rex is an egotistical a$$hole who thinks he can transform any garbage into gold.   It will be extra sweet watching Buffalo implode.

I won't argue with this, but I actually don't think it's the case. I explained it in one of the threads this is redundant with yesterday... 

When you ask your coach who he wants, and he has zero scouting ability whatsoever, he's going to default to A.) players that have played for him, B.) players he's played against and that have beaten him once, despite maybe not being very good, or C.) fan-minded, Madden-esque, guesswork.

It's common in any industry for new leadership to bring a crew with them,  you bring in guys you are familiar with and you know what you'll get out of them.  

This. 

I'm currently on the wrong side of one of these situations now.

Rexnatoin.com going strong.

Why on earth would a Head Coach bring in players that he's familiar with?  You never see this with other Head Coaches.  Look at Chip Kelly for example, he's smart and stays far away from Oregon players. 

While your overall point is solid, you ignore two simple truths 1.) Chip Kelly is at least bringing in Oregon players that were decent, 2.) Rex isn't Chip Kelly, he's an idiot with a casual fan's level of talent evaluation skills

While your overall point is solid, you ignore two simple truths 1.) Chip Kelly is at least bringing in Oregon players that were decent, 2.) Rex isn't Chip Kelly, he's an idiot with a casual fan's level of talent evaluation skills

Right?  Because Josh Huff, Jeff Maehl, Will Murphy, Taylor Hart, Brandon Blair and Wade Kelikipi are household names. 

When ever you get smacked in the face, you act like you're trolling and everyone knows you werent...like at all. 

It's cute though. 

You're right, I was totally serious. I wasn't at all just taking a pot-shot at Rex by pretending that Chip Kelly isn't a complete nutball and is actually doing a good job.

I like that you think you "smacked me in the face". Talk about cute!

You know that old teddy bear that you had as a kid?  The one with no eyes that stinks and has bugs?  You know that old electric football game you loved as a kid, that short circuits and gives shocks now?  You know that old photo of an old girl friend you keep around and look at the odd time even though she has aged and put on 40 pounds?  you know your first car you keep on the farm?  The old rusted pinto you keep around cause it gives you warm feelings?

There is your answer.

The most underrated part of the whole horror that will be visited on the Bills over the next few years isn't even Rex himself, it is on the horrid list of assistants he brought over enmasse.

You're right, I was totally serious. I wasn't at all just taking a pot-shot at Rex by pretending that Chip Kelly isn't a complete nutball and is actually doing a good job.

I like that you think you "smacked me in the face". Talk about cute!

Nobody buys this...

One of his flaws is loyalty to the extreme

This is not really loyalty IMO but rather ignorance.

The Jets had an awful roster in the main while Rex was here why he would transplant significant mediocrity to Buffalo is beyond rationality.

Is it loyalty or stupidity to let an incompetent surgeon perform surgery on your critically injured child? I think it is the later.

Indeed Buffalo has been awful not making the playoffs in over a decade and so what does Rex do to solidify them?

He brings in clearly incompetent players like Wayne Hunter who hasn't been on an NFL field in two years!!! Insane.

Even if the Bills were to win the SB this year this would still be an incomprehensible and dumb move. That is how bad what Rex is foisting on the Bills truly is.

How anyone can continue to defend Rex is now beyond reason. The man is becoming a literal caracture of himself.

Pathetic and Good Grief!!!

This is not really loyalty IMO but rather ignorance.

The Jets had an awful roster in the main while Rex was here why he would transplant significant mediocrity to Buffalo is beyond rationality.

Is it loyalty or stupidity to let an incompetent surgeon perform surgery on your critically injured child? I think it is the later.

Indeed Buffalo has been awful not making the playoffs in over a decade and so what does Rex do to solidify them?

He brings in clearly incompetent players like Wayne Hunter who hasn't been on an NFL field in two years!!! Insane.

Even if the Bills were to win the SB this year this would still be an incomprehensible and dumb move. That is how bad what Rex is foisting on the Bills truly is.

How anyone can continue to defend Rex is now beyond reason. The man is becoming a literal caracture of himself.

Pathetic and Good Grief!!!

You can't be serious?? If the Bills won the bowl this year you and some others might jump off a very high place..LOL Speaking of incompetence does anyone remember  Mangini punishing Pete Kendall and putting him in the rookie dorm for camp? Then trading him and replacing him with Adrian Clarke.. :animal0029:

Is it also common to bring a crew of your worst performers, Mr. Iacocca?

I know you are loathe to have anyone even minimally defend Rex but my comment said nothing about Rex's judgement in terms of who he's recruiting, just that he's doing what most new bosses do. Yes, bad leaders have bad judgment and bring bad people with them, which is why they fail. Doesn't change the fact that it's a very common practice and one day you might discover so if the new night shift manager knows a heady fry cook he likes to get high with

Hunter and Mulligan probably don't make the team, even if they do they're not ther to win games they're backups backups. Nothing wrong bringing Harvin and Conner to the team.

Coaches who leave one team to coach another always bring guys from he old team to help players on the new team if not to man positions. Parcels, Mangini, Rex all brought players with them who knew the system. Rex brought players to the Jets who helped get the team to the playoffs. Rex wasn't an idiot who didn't know talent when he brought Scott and Leonhard and others to the Jets

There's plenty to kill Rex about. This is a stretch at best.

You can't be serious?? If the Bills won the bowl this year you and some others might jump off a very high place..LOL Speaking of incompetence does anyone remember Mangini punishing Pete Kendall and putting him in the rookie dorm for camp? Then trading him and replacing him with Adrian Clarke.. :animal0029:

Yes my friend that was a bush league move by Tanny and Mangini.

And Adrian Clarke was Hunter's incompetent older brother as far as I am concerned.

In fact at least Hunter played well for the Jets during a crucial stretch.

So, Rex is egotistical and thinks he can get play from anybody.  That is why he is bringing in guys like Hunter, Conner and Mulligan?  I know that the narrative is that Rex does not pay any attention to team chemistry or character, but these are three guys that were considered high character, practiced hard and were "tough."  Maybe he wants to instill those things on his new squad.  Mulligan and Conner are pretty good at what they do, but they do something not every team cares about.  Hunter is done, but he is on a tryout and in case everybody forgot, he was the guy that smacked Santonio for mouthing off in the huddle.  I can see the concern with these guys making the roster, but in camp?  They are exactly what you want.

Archived