What's the deal with Rex bringing back ex-Jets?

FSU_Jet

So, Rex is egotistical and thinks he can get play from anybody.  That is why he is bringing in guys like Hunter, Conner and Mulligan?  I know that the narrative is that Rex does not pay any attention to team chemistry or character, but these are three guys that were considered high character, practiced hard and were "tough."  Maybe he wants to instill those things on his new squad.  Mulligan and Conner are pretty good at what they do, but they do something not every team cares about.  Hunter is done, but he is on a tryout and in case everybody forgot, he was the guy that smacked Santonio for mouthing off in the huddle.  I can see the concern with these guys making the roster, but in camp?  They are exactly what you want.

Wayne Hunter hasn't played organized football in 30 months, but he punched a teammate once, so yeah, he's exactly who you want hanging around your facility

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wayne Hunter hasn't played organized football in 30 months, but he punched a teammate once, so yeah, he's exactly who you want hanging around your facility

If you got rid of every player in the NFL that punched someone their would be no NFL..

I know you are loathe to have anyone even minimally defend Rex but my comment said nothing about Rex's judgement in terms of who he's recruiting, just that he's doing what most new bosses do. Yes, bad leaders have bad judgment and bring bad people with them, which is why they fail. Doesn't change the fact that it's a very common practice and one day you might discover so if the new night shift manager knows a heady fry cook he likes to get high with

Thank you, Hippie Jack Welch.

Those are the worst, good luck

Yeah, thanks. I've managed to stick for over a year, because I'm good at what I do, but the writing is on the wall. The best play for this person is to replace me, to buy time and distraction from the fact that they're failing. It's been interesting, it's like a bad coach that keeps making moves to buy time, while only putting effort into managing the perception of how they're doing, rather than doing any good. 

the truth is that the only players on the roster that determine the outcome of the games are the stars. Players 1 through let's say 10 in terms of overall talent. Your Revis and Mangold types. 

After that? These jobs like Wayne Hunter backup swing tackle, is he any better or worse than Ben Ijalana? Is Matt Simms really better or worse than Jake Heaps? 

The answer is probably not. In these cases you basically hope these guys never play. They collect a pay check and the whole thing keeps going. The NFL is often about nepotism (Rex son of Buddy) and opportunity... who you know... not about who is technically the most talented.  it takes a perfect storm of everyone getting hurt for the Wayne Chrebet's to actually get a real shot. 

Back in the day there was a father of one of the prospects, who was friendly with the DD site. I'll never forget the guy, he was really nice. He believed his son had the skills to play NFL QB and you know what he probably did. But his son ended up undrafted, backing up a franchise guy, holding a clipboard, never playing, did his three seasons or so maybe a season in Canada, and that was that. the father complained that his kid never got a real chance (and he didn't) but he also was lucky to be a clipboard guy. The league is full of those types. And it could be them or a hundred other guys just like them, it wouldn't matter much in terms of winning and losing.  

I'm surprised that Rex didn't petition to trade for Mark Sanchez because they had a friendship. Rex Ryan is a players coach that has made a ton of mistakes. Now he wants to reunite some Jets players on his Bills roster. It's not as if those players won anything with the Jets. Thank goodness he isn't my teams coach anymore. I believe Bowles has more of a business type approach to coaching which is the best way to go about things. Rex Ryan was more of a happy go lucky coach that let everything go as is and wasn't a disciplinarian at all. The Jets needed a coaching change and Bowles in my opinion will do well because he has an competent  general manager to bring the players to the roster.

I mean from a logical point of view it is easier to train players who you already know and have worked with than ones you have never seen before, it would not be a bad strategy as a short term patch if he planned on moving on from the ex Jet players when he gets the opportunity to upgrade. This way he can work with players who already know him and as he gets new and better players the former Jets can help him to train their replacements or something like that.

This IS the Same thing he did when he was made the HC of the Jets, he brought over several guys who played for him with the Ravens.  I don't see anything wrong with it, you have guys who know you, your style, your system it helps acclimate the others to you & what you expect.

the truth is that the only players on the roster that determine the outcome of the games are the stars. Players 1 through let's say 10 in terms of overall talent. Your Revis and Mangold types. 

After that? These jobs like Wayne Hunter backup swing tackle, is he any better or worse than Ben Ijalana? Is Matt Simms really better or worse than Jake Heaps? 

The answer is probably not. In these cases you basically hope these guys never play. They collect a pay check and the whole thing keeps going. The NFL is often about nepotism (Rex son of Buddy) and opportunity... who you know... not about who is technically the most talented.  it takes a perfect storm of everyone getting hurt for the Wayne Chrebet's to actually get a real shot. 

Back in the day there was a father of one of the prospects, who was friendly with the DD site. I'll never forget the guy, he was really nice. He believed his son had the skills to play NFL QB and you know what he probably did. But his son ended up undrafted, backing up a franchise guy, holding a clipboard, never playing, did his three seasons or so maybe a season in Canada, and that was that. the father complained that his kid never got a real chance (and he didn't) but he also was lucky to be a clipboard guy. The league is full of those types. And it could be them or a hundred other guys just like them, it wouldn't matter much in terms of winning and losing.  

Was it Aaron Rodgers

Yeah, thanks. I've managed to stick for over a year, because I'm good at what I do, but the writing is on the wall. The best play for this person is to replace me, to buy time and distraction from the fact that they're failing. It's been interesting, it's like a bad coach that keeps making moves to buy time, while only putting effort into managing the perception of how they're doing, rather than doing any good. 

curious, you do web stuff? Just design or UX as well?

New Boss: Where's the project?

Ape: I didn't do it.

Boss: It's due today.

Ape: Haha! I'm trolling you and you're too stupid to see it.

Boss: So, you have the project done?

Ape: No.

Every coach does it, but that doesn't mean that Rex is making good decisions.

When Rex came over to the Jets, he brought over Bart Scott and Jim Leonard, two legitimate, respectable starters who played a big role in integrating his system and propelling the Jets to two straight AFC championship games.

Players such as Mulligan, Hunter, and Connor don't stack up to this standard and arguably should be out of the league.  Harvin is a good player, but he's hardly "Rex's guy," and he won't do anything in terms of helping to integrate Rex's system.

Rex failed with these players in NY, he'll fail with them again.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

New Boss: Where's the project?

Ape: I didn't do it.

Boss: It's due today.

Ape: Haha! I'm trolling you and you're too stupid to see it.

Boss: So, you have the project done?

Ape: No.

Well done.

I've never missed a deadline in 20 years, but definitely aligns to the Ape schtick. I may just have to rep you, you turd.

Between Harvin, Mulligan, Hunter, Conner and so forth, all Rex is doing is bringing back former Jet players from years past. Does he really believe these guys will help Buffalo win, or is it just a matter of irrational loyalty? It would be one thing if they were any good and just happened to be readily available, but they were all bad players in NY. What's the deal?

Every single head coach and positional coaches tends to bring players they are familiar with . (Working knowledge of this player) Those players can help assist the other player , what that coach is trying to do.( ( speed up the learning process)

Jmo this isn't a big deal, as that player still going to have to win a spot on the 53 man roster.

The deal is simple: Rex is an egotistical a$$hole who thinks he can transform any garbage into gold.   It will be extra sweet watching Buffalo implode.

He can't evaluate young talent. he can't develop young talent. he can only see an NFL player already in the league.

Name a young draft pick that developed under REX???? Perhaps 2 in 6 years????

REX SUCKS... I would also state I believe he is over rated as a defensive guru.

He can't evaluate young talent. he can't develop young talent. he can only see an NFL player already in the league.

Name a young draft pick that developed under REX???? Perhaps 2 in 6 years????

REX SUCKS... I would also state I believe he is over rated as a defensive guru.

Ask my family how many times I say this during our games.  In a key (do or die) situation, especially in the fourth quarter, we routinely let teams torch us for big gains or TDs. I have wanted to choke Rex so many times when he sent the house on an all out blitz, only to result in a score/first down for our opponent.  Defensive guru, my ass.

Ask my family how many times I say this during our games.  In a key (do or die) situation, especially in the fourth quarter, we routinely let teams torch us for big gains or TDs. I have wanted to choke Rex so many times when he sent the house on an all out blitz, only to result in a score/first down for our opponent.  Defensive guru, my ass.

When a defense is tired for being on the field too long due to numerous 3 and outs from the O that does tend to happen..

When a defense is tired for being on the field too long due to numerous 3 and outs from the O that does tend to happen..

Then why is Rex sending everybody on blitzes, leaving joke corners alone?  A "defensive guru" would have created a different scheme/rotation which would have aided a tired defense instead of exhausting them even more.

Then why is Rex sending everybody on blitzes, leaving joke corners alone?  A "defensive guru" would have created a different scheme/rotation which would have aided a tired defense instead of exhausting them even more.

I agree a man with your supreme knowledge would have had the team well rested but hopefully Rex will learn and gain at least a quarter  of your accumulated defensive football acumen.. :corn:

The defender of REX has spoken...... :)

The difference is most Jet fans change into children and constantly whine about Rex I don't.. I acknowledge Rex wasn't a complete HC and should have been gone with Tanny.. He must learn to be a complete HC caring about the Offense and Defense equally or the Bills will be his last HC job.. But don't let me stop you from your daily Rex sucks rants..LOL  :rolleyes:

I agree a man with your supreme knowledge would have had the team well rested but hopefully Rex will learn and gain at least a quarter  of your accumulated defensive football acumen.. :corn:

Hey, you like his leadership and coaching expertise.  Fine.  Vaya con Dios.

Me?  I think Rex got a pass from guys like you for too many years, especially the last three seasons.  In my eyes, Rex will always be the consummate teflon huckster.  A guy who is expert in the art of glad-handing and getting others to take the fall for his many shortcomings as a HC.

But maybe you're content with back-to-back 8-8 seasons (after going 6-10), or putting QBs into a meaningless preseason game and getting their shoulders destroyed, or watching teams hit us for 60 yard TDs after Rex' 100th failed jailhouse blitz, or not getting his teams to show up for two AFCCGs, especially in Pitt when his vaunted defense got smoked.

You're satisfied with the state Rex left the team.  Awesome.  Go have fun in the kiddie pool.  I'm not afraid to say Rex sucked.

Hey, you like his leadership and coaching expertise.  Fine.  Vaya con Dios.

Me?  I think Rex got a pass from guys like you for too many years, especially the last three seasons.  In my eyes, Rex will always be the consummate teflon huckster.  A guy who is expert in the art of glad-handing and getting others to take the fall for his many shortcomings as a HC.

But maybe you're content with back-to-back 8-8 seasons (after going 6-10), or putting QBs into a meaningless preseason game and getting their shoulders destroyed, or watching teams hit us for 60 yard TDs after Rex' 100th failed jailhouse blitz, or not getting his teams to show up for two AFCCGs, especially in Pitt when his vaunted defense got smoked.

You're satisfied with the state Rex left the team.  Awesome.  Go have fun in the kiddie pool.  I'm not afraid to say Rex sucked.

If you read my posts you would know I felt Rex should have been gone with Tanny. What I don't feel is I'm on his level as a defensive minded coach as you apparently do.. Rex wasn't the GM as much as many of his haters contend that he was. He was a flawed HC that did have some good success his first couple of years which is more then most Jet HC's have done..

I think if he was properly prepared Rex could have probably halted superstorm Sandy.

And if we had a decent running game in 1998 like Denver had we may have won the Bowl..LOL

So bizarre that Denver completely shut down Martin that day.  For a team whose game plan was to sit back and wait for Vinny to throw INT's, they stuffed Martin all day.

When you look at the box score from that game, it's hard to figure out how the Jets didn't lose by 35. 

Archived