Anyone putting money on the Jets O/U wins this season?

AFJF

What is Roman cracked up to be? I see jeaniec day this all the time.

I'm just thinking how much funnier Dennis Green's epic rant would have been if he had used the phrase "who they were cracked up to be" instead of "who we thought they were". Say it to yourself out loud, it's hysterical.

Very true. But you know what they have been saying about him. He has it all together in the film room and at practice but game time he lays an egg. Hopefully for us as a team he finally gets it. If he does then we are looking at a double digit winning squad.

We won 4 games last. Lost two due to blocked FGs (both against Patriots), lost two due to bad calls (Packers and the "time-out call" game) and lost a game against Miami because Rex and Idzik were supposedly in a cold war. So even with him laying an egg with a sh*t cast of WRs with Deckers hamstring injury, we very easily could have been an 8-8 team last year.

Anything less than 10 wins will be a disappointment with the improvements we've made in the secondary, DL and WR, assuming we aren't hit by massive injuries derailing our season.

You should go back and watch those games again and see how many were pure luck.

and again, how Geno played better late when there was no pressure.

You should go back and watch those games again and see how many losses were due to pure luck (or bad calls)

And that 2nd sentence makes no sense what so ever. In a sh*tty season where the team is all but dead, players play for their careers. It goes for both teams, so there was plenty of pressure, believe it or not. We as fans feel zero pressure because we have nothing to lose. Not the players.

We won 4 games last. Lost two due to blocked FGs (both against Patriots), lost two due to bad calls (Packers and the "time-out call" game) and lost a game against Miami because Rex and Idzik were supposedly in a cold war. So even with him laying an egg with a sh*t cast of WRs with Deckers hamstring injury, we very easily could have been an 8-8 team last year.

Anything less than 10 wins will be a disappointment with the improvements we've made in the secondary, DL and WR, assuming we aren't hit by massive injuries derailing our season.

If you count the close losses as potential wins, you must also count the close wins as potential losses. You are essentially saying if the Jets were the luckiest team in history (even more so than the 2013 Jets, which were pretty freaking lucky), they would've been 8-8. Hardly a ringing endorsement of Geno.

If you count the close losses as potential wins, you must also count the close wins as potential losses. You are essentially saying if the Jets were the luckiest team in history (even more so than the 2013 Jets, which were pretty freaking lucky), they would've been 8-8. Hardly a ringing endorsement of Geno.

Thank you.^ this guys gets it. We can't just sit here and say if this happened and if that happened we'd be successful. We won 4 games for plenty of other reasons. No excuses. We sucked last year.

Two blocked FGs against the same rival. Bad luck. Doesn't happen often. rarely to the point where kickers often go years without a block.

The timeout call that wasn't supposed to be there. Certainly not on the Jets.

Several games with blown calls (or lack of) that were decided by 7 or less points. 

All this is with a garbage secondary and one of the worst WR group in the league with Decker injured. 

Geno wasn't an all pro last year. But he played above average in the last quarter of the season when he had time to gel with Harvin and had a healthy #2 in Decker. Why does this fact continues to gets ignored?

Geno did not play garbage in the last 4-5 games and that is the Geno I expect him to be this year. 

PS: 2013 didn't have much luck. Just stupid penalties by opponents at the wrong time. Thats not luck. 

Two blocked FGs against the same rival. Bad luck. Doesn't happen often. rarely to the point where kickers often go years without a block.

The timeout call that wasn't supposed to be there. Certainly not on the Jets.

Several games with blown calls (or lack of) that were decided by 7 or less points. 

All this is with a garbage secondary and one of the worst WR group in the league with Decker injured. 

Geno wasn't an all pro last year. But he played above average in the last quarter of the season when he had time to gel with Harvin and had a healthy #2 in Decker. Why does this fact continues to gets ignored?

Geno did not play garbage in the last 4-5 games and that is the Geno I expect him to be this year. 

PS: 2013 didn't have much luck. Just stupid penalties by opponents at the wrong time. Thats not luck. 

I'm referring to the fact that the 2013 jets were the worst team by turnover ratio to not have a losing season EVER in the history of the NFL.

As to the other points, if that's what you see and it gives you hope, that's great. My thinking is more in line with what Parcells famously said "You are what your record says you are." So the 2013 gets credit for their 2013 8-8, even with the turnover ratio, and the 2014 fully owns their 4-12. If you did such an analysis on any team, you would find similar "games decided by weird stuff." It balances out in the end.

I'm referring to the fact that the 2013 jets were the worst team by turnover ratio to not have a losing season EVER in the history of the NFL.

As to the other points, if that's what you see and it gives you hope, that's great. My thinking is more in line with what Parcells famously said "You are what your record says you are." So the 2013 gets credit for their 2013 8-8, even with the turnover ratio, and the 2014 fully owns their 4-12. If you did such an analysis on any team, you would find similar "games decided by weird stuff." It balances out in the end.

I understand that. We had some plays go in our favor in 2013 and we were on the other end of the stick in 2014. Does that settle the debate "Geno can be at least an 8-8 guy"?

I understand that. We had some plays go in our favor in 2013 and we were on the other end of the stick in 2014. Does that settle the debate "Geno can be at least an 8-8 guy"?

Would be surprised if anyone here argued Geno is incapable of winning 8 games. Personnally I think that is right around his ceiling, and he will win 6 or 7 this year; but he did it so obviously he is capable.

Would be surprised if anyone here argued Geno is incapable of winning 8 games. Personnally I think that is right around his ceiling, and he will win 6 or 7 this year; but he did it so obviously he is capable.

Some poster said he'd take the under on 7 wins "because Geno". That's a very ignorant answer tbh.

Some poster said he'd take the under on 7 wins "because Geno". That's a very ignorant answer tbh.

That's a pretty small sample size to call it a "debate," but in any case, yes Geno can win 8 games with a top 10 defense and a good running game, absolutely. If you can't do that, you shouldn't even be a 2nd string QB in this league.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your post. Geno *could* win 8, as in he is capable, but he is also capable of stinking up the joint. The under is not out of the question. However, one reason I don't like the under is because If Geno sucks, Fitzpatrick will come in and I do think he can capitalize on a strong D and go along for the ride and hit the over if he comes in soon enough before it's hopeless.

That's a pretty small sample size to call it a "debate," but in any case, yes Geno can win 8 games with a top 10 defense and a good running game, absolutely. If you can't do that, you shouldn't even be a 2nd string QB in this league.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your post. Geno *could* win 8, as in he is capable, but he is also capable of stinking up the joint. The under is not out of the question. However, one reason I don't like the under is because If Geno sucks, Fitzpatrick will come in and I do think he can capitalize on a strong D and go along for the ride and hit the over if he comes in soon enough before it's hopeless.

My point.

• 5 months later...

Archived