Is Marriota trying to force a trade to the Eagles?

drdetroit

Where did you get this from? He's not going to walk away from several Million $ on Chips behalf.

I think the league would step in on that scenario! C-O-L-L-U-S-I-O-N!

Yeah. It's a juicy theory. But I don't think any agent would allow that to happen. Then again, what the hell IS he waiting for? It was BS when rookies held out BEFORE the rookie cap, never mind now when there is one. This process has been streamlined.

Yeah. It's a juicy theory. But I don't think any agent would allow that to happen. Then again, what the hell IS he waiting for? It was BS when rookies held out BEFORE the rookie cap, never mind now when there is one. This process has been streamlined.

Probably looking for a 100% guaranteed contract. 

Next time post a link or the story

By Geoffrey C. Arnold | The Oregonian/OregonLive The Oregonian
Follow on Twitter

on June 23, 2015 at 12:53 PM, updated June 23, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Reddit

Email

Marcus Mariota

•  

Here we go again.

Marcus Mariota hasn't signed his rookie contract with the Tennessee Titans, making him just one of three players in the NFL draft who are still unsigned. Mariota is the only first-round pick who remains unsigned.

Why hasn't Mariota signed a deal? Few people outside Mariota's inner circle and Titans management know for sure. Now, with Mariota still unsigned, there are those who think this is part of Mariota's grand plan to be reunited with Chip Kelly in Philadelphia.

Kelly, Mariota's coach at Oregon, was said to be willing to offer just about anyone wearing an Eagles helmet for the right to select Mariota in the 2015 draft. Kelly denied he would mortgage the Eagles future for one player, and the Titans selected Mariota with the second overall pick.

The lack of a signed contract leads one writer to suggest that it would be a mistake to think Kelly's designs on acquiring Mariota are dead.

Mark Eckel of NJ.com says it's really strange that the most-talked about player in the draft will be one of the last players to sign. Eagles blog Bleeding Green Nation picked up on the possibilities.

Despite the speculation, most reports indicate the snag in negotiations is "offset" language, which would allow the Titans to recoup some money from Mariota if he signs with another team three years from now. Titans general manager Ruston Webster said he's not concerned.

"It's going like most contract situations go about this time of year," Webster told reporters. "We have had good conversations. We'll continue to have good conversations. Looking forward to getting that done and him being in here for camp."

There's no reason to think Mariota won't sign a deal with the Titans, however, if he remains unsigned as training camp draws closer, expect the speculation to increase dramatically.

which would allow the Titans to recoup some money from Mariota if he signs with another team three years from now

unless this is very common and most top 10 picks have it in their deal, I wouldn't agree to this either

which would allow the Titans to recoup some money from Mariota if he signs with another team three years from now

unless this is very common and most top 10 picks have it in their deal, I wouldn't agree to this either

This is an outrageous contract provision.  It basically tries to punish a player for exercising their right of free agency..

Nonsense....

Lol. What a class guy. Refuses to sign a contract because he wants to play in the one system he can have success in.

How do you know he refused to sign a contract? How do you know that he's been offered a contract?

You don't have a clue but he's classless.

I think this is the hold up.  The number one pick(Winston) has it in his rookie contract while the number 3 pick(fowler?) does not.  I dont think it is an issue at this point.

Most QBs have signed their contract by now. Jameis Winston, the Chosen One, has already signed his. Winston is a class act on and off the field.

I live in the tampa area, I have heard first hand that the bucs have contacted clubs in the area about not letting Winston in!  I think that has more to do with him not getting in to the Blue Martini a couple weeks back than what he was wearing.  Btw, I lived a block from Doak Staduim for a couple semesters back in the day :)

I live in the tampa area, I have heard first hand that the bucs have contacted clubs in the area about not letting Winston in!  I think that has more to do with him not getting in to the Blue Martini a couple weeks back than what he was wearing.  Btw, I lived a block from Doak Staduim for a couple semesters back in the day :)

Maybe they learned from Josh Freeman. I would always see him at Aja.

Maybe they learned from Josh Freeman. I would always see him at Aja.

Damn, how many Florida Jets fans do we have on here anyway?

I'm flying down to Alabama on Monday for a job interview so I might be joining the Southern Brigade myself.

Lol. What a class guy. Refuses to sign a contract because he wants to play in the one system he can have success in.

worked for John Elway and Eli Manning.  But they were very straight forward about it.  Somehow I doubt this is the case.  No link?  Do you have anything to corroborate this at all?

Most QBs have signed their contract by now. Jameis Winston, the Chosen One, has already signed his. Winston is a class act on and off the field.

You're a good troll.  I like you, for a dirty Nole.

Nothing but classy at FSU.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13149387/deandre-johnson-florida-state-seminoles-suspended-indefinitely

This is an outrageous contract provision.  It basically tries to punish a player for exercising their right of free agency..

Nonsense....

Yes and no.

The only way this comes up is if Tennessee cuts him. Being such a high pick, his entire contract is guaranteed. If that final year 4 of Mariota's contract is a fully guaranteed $2M, that's the deal. But it's whether one views the guarantee as a guarantee of money to Mariota, or a guarantee of money that must be paid only by the Titans. Most people would view a contract as the former. 

What the offset language says is if they cut him he's going to get the same $ from the Titans, unless he signs anywhere else (presumably if/after he clears waivers, which is further unlikely, since the team picking him up would be inheriting the contract, and Tennessee's obligations with it).  I could be wrong, but it looks like this is only a factor if they cut Mariota and he then clears waivers. Then he'd become a full, unfettered, unrestricted free agent. He still is due $2M guaranteed from Tennessee if no one picks him up. If someone else picks him up, then that's the area of contention.

Where it gets muddied is if a player uses this no-offset language to shoot his way out of town. Whether it's because he wants to play for someone else specifically (i.e. Kelly) or just wants out of Tennessee. Or that he just wants to be a free agent to get a better contract without the $ risk being on him during a holdout. But if he shoots his way out of town and gets his wish, he shouldn't be able to profit by it. He can sign elsewhere, but he can't stick Tennessee with the bill (and a hole at QB-of-the-future, and all that they could have had otherwise by trading the pick), and then double dip by collecting millions from Tennessee while someone else is paying him.

Do tell us about the world famous FSU "Class!"

Florida State QB De'Andre Johnson suspended indefinitely; source says he punched woman at bar

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher indefinitely suspended freshman quarterback De'Andre Johnson on Thursday for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

Johnson is accused of punching a female FSU student at a Tallahassee bar Wednesday night, sources said.

According to the sources, Johnson was involved in an argument with the woman after she cut in front of him while they were waiting to order drinks at a bar near the FSU campus. Witnesses told police the woman raised her arms and then Johnson grabbed them and punched her in the face.

The only way offset language can hurt Mariota is if the team is doing something truly spiteful towards the player.

Say (for whatever reason) they're oh-so pissed at him and he's unfit for the field from the start. So they bench him all rookie year, and leak bad things about him personally and about poor play. Year 2 they bench him as well and yet another draft comes and goes. The big hype from draft day is a faint memory as year 3 is about to begin. Now repeat that for a third season. Then yet another draft comes and goes, so that's 3 more draft classes of big hype 1st round QBs, and Mariota has barely seen the field (if at all) in the 3 years since college. Mariota's earning power is in the sh*tter. He and the team both know he's going to have to burn a year or two on a show-me deal to get anyone to believe he's worthy of the $20M/year deals he thinks he should be getting offered. 

It is at this point the Titans cut him.

There's no accelerated cap hit because it's the final year of the deal anyway. They're on the hook for his full cap hit unless someone picks him up. Someone comes to their rescue and makes Mariota an offer.

The new team not only has to be the highest bidder, but they also have to outbid the $2M he was otherwise going to collect from sitting out the season without injury. So in this situation, having no offset language could limit Mariota's options if he's cut (unless he's willing to forgo guaranteed money).

The truth is, though, they wouldn't do that to Mariota unless he was purposely being a total scumbag. Tennessee doesn't have a stable full of QBs down there, and wouldn't keep him off the field unless he was just that awful (in which case he's not getting any $20M/season deals from anyone anyway).

Basically I'm largely on the fence as I can see both sides. In the end it won't matter because the Titans aren't cutting him. If they do, one has to believe the reason will have Chip Kelly's fingerprints all over it, and Mariota (and Kelly's team) shouldn't profit by that.

Here's the only possibility I could think of with nothing malicious being done by either side. Say Mettenberger becomes absolutely awesome (go with me on this). Mariota looks like he'll be a decent/solid NFL starter, but he's no Mettenberger! So Mariota's earning potential is lowered in this way and Tennessee cuts him prior to year 4 and someone else picks up part or all of the tab.

Except even in this scenario, Tennessee would never cut a solid starter making $2M/year. Never. They'd keep him as the league's best (and a pretty cheap) backup for the full 4 years or they'd trade him for a high pick before that. 

Archived