Movies that You Loved/Liked, but Everybody Else Seemed to Hate

BroadwayJoe12

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have cosigned on Cocktail a year ago, but it's hard to watch anything with Cruise now after seeing Going Clear.

I'd say both Matrix sequels. I thought they were great. If you watch the Animatrix it gives those movies a lot more context, particularly the ending of the third one.

Would have cosigned on Cocktail a year ago, but it's hard to watch anything with Cruise now after seeing Going Clear.

I'd say both Matrix sequels. I thought they were great. If you watch the Animatrix it gives those movies a lot more context, particularly the ending of the third one.

I WANT A SUPERPOWER BUILDING!!

I have Animatrix and it still has its security sticker covering the edges. i cant bring myself to watch it. 

I'll go with both Grown Ups movies. I knew going in they would be stupid and I got my moneys worth and enjoyed. 

I WANT A SUPERPOWER BUILDING!!

I wonder if he sits in that stupid gyrosphere while yelling at the minions to go find him another girlfriend he can abuse.

Jason Lee's ex penned an essay this week about them. Nothing surprising but more horrific sh*t. Apparently Jenna Elfman is now a full blown lunatic.

So many:

Apocalypto - I think it's caught on now?

Both Grindhouse movies -

Gangs of New York

Any Godzilla movie

Legion

Reign of Fire

Zodiac - A classic and nothing less

Elysium

Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels

The Sleepy Hollow movie with Depp and Ricci

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark remake

Congo

Mothman Prophecies

Fallen

The Relic

Mimic

I wonder if he sits in that stupid gyrosphere while yelling at the minions to go find him another girlfriend he can abuse.

Jason Lee's ex penned an essay this week about them. Nothing surprising but more horrific sh*t. Apparently Jenna Elfman is now a full blown lunatic.

Nooo, not Jason Lee too :(  She made Dharma and Greg, this is probably her punishment from the universe. 

Gang of New York and Lock Stock too. What a nutbar.

Liked the former, loved the latter.  I've heard a lot of people complain about GONY, but I didn't think enough people knew Lock Stock in order to dislike it. Such a great movie; Vinnie Jones is one of the few actors who I have no doubt would actually put someone in a hospital if you pissed him off. 

Liked the former, loved the latter.  I've heard a lot of people complain about GONY, but I didn't think enough people knew Lock Stock in order to dislike it. Such a great movie; Vinnie Jones is one of the few actors who I have no doubt would actually put someone in a hospital if you pissed him off. 

It is OK to not like a movie. It is not OK to say that everyone hated a movie that got nominated for every Oscar and made a lot of money.

Soooo, yeah basically every M. Night Shyamalan movie minus the gust of wind one....I've loved.

Not sure I've seen them all, but I like all of them except the one that was supposed to be a fairy tale or whatever. 

Signs is probably my favorite. "It's behind..." come on, that sh*t was awesome.

I actually love Unbreakable too. I figured out Sixth Sense about an hour or so before the rest of the theatre, so meh. I also thought the Village was great... too many people bitched about it not being scary. Idiots. It was marketed as horror, but shouldn't have been. It had nothing to do with horror... it was a social commentary, and used symbolism and color theory brilliantly.

Okay, here's one out of left field... The Return of Master Killer.

It's a Gordon Liu film, quite possibly my favorite kung fu movie of all time, and it's basically Liu returning to play a con-man who impersonates San Te (Liu's character from Master Killer). It's part comedy, and brilliantly done. He learns kung fu through doing work around the Shaolin temple. Possible inspiration for Karate Kid, also there's a great scaffolding fight scene (with bamboo and reeds) that Jet Li re-creates in Romeo Must Die with metal scaffolds and zip-ties. 

Also in this vein, Kung Fu Hustle is a ******* great movie.

Not sure I've seen them all, but I like all of them except the one that was supposed to be a fairy tale or whatever.

Signs is probably my favorite. "It's behind..." come on, that sh*t was awesome.

I actually love Unbreakable too. I figured out Sixth Sense about an hour or so before the rest of the theatre, so meh. I also thought the Village was great... too many people bitched about it not being scary. Idiots. It was marketed as horror, but shouldn't have been. It had nothing to do with horror... it was a social commentary, and used symbolism and color theory brilliantly.

Unbreakable is fantastic. Signs was decent. I distinctly remember being very pissed off at making me sit through The Village. But he did pull off the Happening, and by pulled off I mean he made the greatest unintentionally funny movie ever.

Also not a box office smash:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=gangsofnewyork.htm

Oscars: Zero

nominated for every Oscar and made a lot of money.

Again. Nominated. Not won. And $77 million = not a lot of money. Right.

It's cool THO, The Matrix Reloaded definitely doesn't get it's due and didn't make enough money. Just not enough people saw the Animatrix to like reeeeeeally get it.

Donnie, you're out of your element. The Matrix sequels were wholly successful at the box office because of anticipation drawn up from the original, but were pretty much the talk of the world because of the backlash. People were pissed, and you're either too young to remember this or you have since smoked yourself stupid.

Again, you are a nutbar.

Gangs of NY: ~$193 million and change worldwide gross on a 100 million dollar budget

Matrix Reloaded: nearly $750 million on a $150 million dollar budget

Edit for edit:

I understand the context of including the Matrix sequels here, but to say that Gangs made alot of money doesn't fly. $77 million was a disappointment for the domestic gross, as it should have been for a 100 million dollar Scorsese film. It's since hit the rounds as a popular movie to call overrated for internet reasons.

Archived