Sheldon Richardson Suspended

Maxman

Also, to get back on topic.

What would you think is the trade value of Sheldon right now? He has 2 more years on his rookie contract, with a 5th year option. I believe this suspension puts him at Stage 2 of the Drug Program, and by rule he has to be on that for 2 years (unless the medical adviser decides to let him go out of the program after one year, which seems unlikely to me) and if he fails again, then he would presumably get a 6 game suspension and placed in Stage 3. And once in Stage 3, you can be placed in that Stage for your entire career (but the medical adviser can re-evaluate your situation after 2 years) and face a 10 game suspension for marijuana.

So essentially, Sheldon is on thin ice now, similar to the situations of Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon. We saw their trade values take a nice dip, so I just wanted to see where Sheldon would be valued right now.

He's easily worth two first rounds and a third.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's easily worth two first rounds and a third.

Would you make that deal?   

I can't come up with a good price for him because this substance abuse issue is a major problem going forward.  I think two firsts, and I might just make the deal.  However, in the 2016 draft, no team has two first round picks, everyone kept their picks, so if we are thinking about dealing him, may have to be a player/pick deal.  

Would you make that deal?

I can't come up with a good price for him because this substance abuse issue is a major problem going forward. I think two firsts, and I might just make the deal. However, in the 2016 draft, no team has two first round picks, everyone kept their picks, so if we are thinking about dealing him, may have to be a player/pick deal.

Maybe a 1st 2016, 1st 2017 and then a 3rd 2016. Would you take that?

Richardson is an elite young talent, but he's showing with each new step that he's also an inflated, bombastic bore who wasn't controlled enough or humble enough to be responsible with or respectful of the privileges and opportunities his talent provided him. He might stop weed for a while, but he still will take his character with him wherever he goes. My guess is that this will end badly. It usually does. This is a deeper problem than weed.

Don't really understand how this whole thing works, I get that he made a mistake (possibly multiple times) he is a young kid and young kids tend to make mistakes. I am not mad at Richardson and I hope that he is able to bounce back, realize how blessed he is to be as talented as he is and turn his life around. The part I don't understand is he gets a 4 game suspension for failing a drug test for weed, Last season Blount and Bell got arrested for driving around while smoking weed and Blount gets a 1 game suspension, Bell gets a 3 game suspension. Did they change the rules? Did the two of them fight their suspensions (this would make sense as they were given an entire season to fight it as opposed to Richardson (and the other 3 players) who wont get a season to play before their suspension) or is it just a double standard because Blount is on the Patriots roster and Bell is on the Steelers roster?

Gents. Bottom line is this kid has elite talent but he went back to gangsta Ferguson with his posse. He is a kid that didn't grow up. I saw this coming with his hands up don't shoot crap and piss poor asswipe attitude last year. You all forget the dumbass time he yelled timeout on the sideline and basically cost us a game? This guy is a train wreck waiting to happen because he is immature. Smoking weed when its in your contract. Think about it. I get drug tested at work. I would never jeopardize my family's fortunes by doing some dick move like that. Definitely trade him when this blows over next year. Gone!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Agree that this will end badly. Trade him while you have some value. I think the value noted by some is overblown given what just happened. Would be happy with a first rounder and a player. Great talent big problem. I didn't realize he had those infractions before. Just shows he has a problem.

Don't really understand how this whole thing works, I get that he made a mistake (possibly multiple times) he is a young kid and young kids tend to make mistakes. I am not mad at Richardson and I hope that he is able to bounce back, realize how blessed he is to be as talented as he is and turn his life around. The part I don't understand is he gets a 4 game suspension for failing a drug test for weed, Last season Blount and Bell got arrested for driving around while smoking weed and Blount gets a 1 game suspension, Bell gets a 3 game suspension. Did they change the rules? Did the two of them fight their suspensions (this would make sense as they were given an entire season to fight it as opposed to Richardson (and the other 3 players) who wont get a season to play before their suspension) or is it just a double standard because Blount is on the Patriots roster and Bell is on the Steelers roster?

It could be that Blount and Bell didnt fail prior NFL tests. They probably received suspensions for them getting arrested and the incident being a public one. Im not mad at Richardson but I dont feel bad for him. Blowing down trees isnt a mistake, he made a choice after allegedly being told multiple times with fines (I say alleged because I didnt know any of this before yesterday) that this wasnt the thing to do.

I've been extremely high on Sheldon, even going as far as saying to trade Wilk because of his talent, but dude is squandering his talent and the strength of the team as a unit with the stupidity. This really puts Wilk in the drivers seat if you ask me. 

They fell under the conduct policy, not the drug policy.

I have no sympathy for Sheldon.  The NFLPA and the commish worked out the drug agreement.  Every single player knows what it is.  This is obviously not his first offense, he knew the penalty involved, and thought so much of his teammates that he risked missing 4 games so he could do his own thing.

I don't care if weed is harmless.  You are hired by a huge corporation, you get millions of dollars, and they have a code of conduct policy, with very exact penalties laid out if you don't follow that policy.  You follow their policy, or you go work somewhere else.

What would you think is the trade value of Sheldon right now?  He has 2 more years on his rookie contract, with a 5th year option.  I believe this suspension puts him at Stage 2 of the Drug Program, and by rule he has to be on that for 2 years (unless the medical adviser decides to let him go out of the program after one year, which seems unlikely to me) and if he fails again, then he would presumably get a 6 game suspension and placed in Stage 3.   And once in Stage 3, you can be placed in that Stage for your entire career (but the medical adviser can re-evaluate your situation after 2 years) and face a 10 game suspension for marijuana.  

So essentially, Sheldon is on thin ice now, similar to the situations of Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon.  We saw their trade values take a nice dip, so I just wanted to see where Sheldon would be valued right now.

His trade value, right now, is at an all-time low. Trading him now would be perceived as a panic move, and the Jets would get fleeced. But if Sheldon comes back from the suspension and once again plays at the level we've seen all while keeping his urine clean, his value goes back to where it was before this suspension.

I have no sympathy for Sheldon.  The NFLPA and the commish worked out the drug agreement.  Every single player knows what it is.  This is obviously not his first offense, he knew the penalty involved, and thought so much of his teammates that he risked missing 4 games so he could do his own thing.

I don't care if weed is harmless.  You are hired by a huge corporation, you get millions of dollars, and they have a code of conduct policy, with very exact penalties laid out if you don't follow that policy.  You follow their policy, or you go work somewhere else.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000.   No excuses, you have a brand new regime and coaching staff, and you know the leagues policy on weed and yet you STILL get high and then get busted for it.   I am now leaning toward signing Mo, and trading Richardson next year to draft that top quarterback.   

He voided 3.095 Million dollars of the remaining guaranteed money he had on his rookie contract after getting suspended.

That doesn't mean he lost 3 mil, it means he could because the guarantees are gone. He's not getting cut, he'll get his money.

next offense ... entire season ... trade this clown before its to late. wait till December when he is playing lights out ....Then trade him for some olb help.

No trade him for a top pick so we can finally draft a franchise qb.

I understand it's mostly due to over expososure of too much media but I don't know how anyone can be a diehard fan of anything anymore. 

I'm debating whether or not to just get my son into soccer rather than have his hero's be guys like this.

I've become so cynical and meh towards the three major US sports that at this point I'm barely holding on to any real rooting interest.  

Trading Richardson would be incredibly dumb and short-sighted. Every player in the league is capable of screwing up like this at some point. If the Jets trade Richardson, you can guarantee that he'll end up in Foxboro sooner or later and terrorize the Jets for another next ten years a la Revis.

I understand it's mostly due to over expososure of too much media but I don't know how anyone can be a diehard fan of anything anymore.

I'm debating whether or not to just get my son into soccer rather than have his hero's be guys like this.

I've become so cynical and meh towards the three major US sports that at this point I'm barely holding on to any real rooting interest.

Except soccer players are the biggest douchebags of them all.

You are your son's hero.  Until they discover woman then you become gas money and in the way.

next offense ... entire season ... trade this clown before its to late. wait till December when he is playing lights out ....Then trade him for some olb help.

For Richardson, it was marijuana. And the Jets, who used the sixth overall pick in the 2015 draft on defensive lineman Leonard Williams, surely knew that Richardson was choosing marijuana over football enough times to worry about him missing games when they picked Williams.

Next step will be a 10-game suspension. Then, a year.

For the next year, Sheldon will have to pass up to 10 drug tests per month to avoid a longer suspension.

His trade value, right now, is at an all-time low. Trading him now would be perceived as a panic move, and the Jets would get fleeced. But if Sheldon comes back from the suspension and once again plays at the level we've seen all while keeping his urine clean, his value goes back to where it was before this suspension.

10 Tests a month for the next year will give us a good feel for how remorseful he is for his actions.

The part that worries me is if he fails or refuses to take another..... his trade value will become dirt.

Although there's always the Cowboys, but I think they're more into Wife beaters and sexual predators!

Trading Richardson would be incredibly dumb and short-sighted. Every player in the league is capable of screwing up like this at some point. If the Jets trade Richardson, you can guarantee that he'll end up in Foxboro sooner or later and terrorize the Jets for another next ten years a la Revis.

If you trade him now it would be dumb.  If you trade him next offseason after Williams has proven he's the real deal and Sheldon has kept out of trouble then it's a solid move.  In a couple years one of those 3 is gone one way or another.  Can't afford all 3.

I have no sympathy for Sheldon. The NFLPA and the commish worked out the drug agreement. Every single player knows what it is. This is obviously not his first offense, he knew the penalty involved, and thought so much of his teammates that he risked missing 4 games so he could do his own thing.

I don't care if weed is harmless. You are hired by a huge corporation, you get millions of dollars, and they have a code of conduct policy, with very exact penalties laid out if you don't follow that policy. You follow their policy, or you go work somewhere else.

I couldn't agree with this statement anymore the NFL is the only employer that lets their employees get away with being a rapist , a murderer, a dog killer, and a bunch of dumb asses who know when they are going to get tested and still get popped. It pisses me off that if I ever did anything like this in the Military or my current job I would be fired no questions asked, but some of these guys take it for granted and keep doing dumb sh*t. The NFL is to blame in my opinion, because they let these guys get a way with this sh*t.

What would you think is the trade value of Sheldon right now? He has 2 more years on his rookie contract, with a 5th year option. I believe this suspension puts him at Stage 2 of the Drug Program, and by rule he has to be on that for 2 years (unless the medical adviser decides to let him go out of the program after one year, which seems unlikely to me) and if he fails again, then he would presumably get a 6 game suspension and placed in Stage 3. And once in Stage 3, you can be placed in that Stage for your entire career (but the medical adviser can re-evaluate your situation after 2 years) and face a 10 game suspension for marijuana.

So essentially, Sheldon is on thin ice now, similar to the situations of Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon. We saw their trade values take a nice dip, so I just wanted to see where Sheldon would be valued right now.

Could probably still get a late first rounder for him. A team like the Colts could absolutely use Richardson and would give us a 1st.

Yes, Williams moves right into the starting lineup, and Wilkerson can point to being more reliable -if not better- than Sheldon.

It's so easy to beat the NFL's drug testing program. I'm far more upset that he was stupid enough to get caught than I am about anything he might've been using.

Is there anything dumber than a pro athlete?  

So his hero can be guys like Luis Suarez? I love soccer, half my family lives throughout Europe, but the atmosphere that surrounds a soccer match makes that whole Gate D fiasco look like Disney Land, on prozac, in the winter. 

Archived