Pierre-Paul Fireworks Accident (MERGED)

KRL

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slimy move by Schefter. Unethical at best.

It's ESPN. They don't even give correct credit when a rival news organization breaks a story first. They got called out on it and now say '...according to (ESPN writer) and media sources.'

Um, no.

No, the person who gave him that medical should and probably will be. Major HIPAA violation.

Yes, but I don't think it's okay for Schefter, ESPN or any other reporter, news organization to publish someone's private medical records. If they refused to publish these things there wouldn't be a market for it in the first place. ESPN probably paid for this information, it's disgusting and shameful. It likely isn't illegal, but it's ethically bankrupt.

Yes, but I don't think it's okay for Schefter, ESPN or any other reporter, news organization to publish someone's private medical records. If they refused to publish these things there wouldn't be a market for it in the first place. ESPN probably paid for this information, it's disgusting and shameful. It likely isn't illegal, but it's ethically bankrupt.

This wasnt an AIDS test here guy. You can't hide a lost finger. If Schefter just reported he lost an index finger would you still be bellyaching over this?

My son showed me an alleged photo of his hand circulating on the internet.

If it is his hand, he may never come back.

Only his thumb still had the skin on it.

The other four fingers just showed bare bones, like a skeleton.

I don't have a copy of it.

Even if I could find it, I wouldn't post it here. It was gross.

Unlikely to be real ... Shefter tweeting medical sources saying he'll play this season , sooner than people expect

This wasnt an AIDS test here guy. You can't hide a lost finger. If Schefter just reported he lost an index finger would you still be bellyaching over this?

If Schefter reported it that way it's a totally different story. He didn't. He put someone's private hospital records where even if only his followers see it, it's something like 3.5 million people. It about ethics and morals.

There are other stories I feel okay poking fun at but this story just makes me feel sick inside for the guy.  I know JPP made a dumb decision and is going to have to live with it but I still feel terrible for the guy.

If Schefter reported it that way it's a totally different story. He didn't. He put someone's private hospital records where even if only his followers see it, it's something like 3.5 million people. It about ethics and morals.

I'm trying to be outraged here...just cant find it though

I don't like schefter because , his smirk just annoys me...but he did nothing wrong here, he's a reporter, that's what they do..that's what they've always done, if you want to get mad at anyone get mad at whoever leaked the info to him.

Think I know which pic you're talking about. I won't post it either cause it is nasty.

But here's a link to a bunch of firework accident pics from back in '11.

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/f149/fireworks-injuries-68851/

The pic I've seen circulating supposedly of JPP's had is in these pics from years ago. 8th pic down.

I don't like schefter because , his smirk just annoys me...but he did nothing wrong here, he's a reporter, that's what they do..that's what they've always done, if you want to get mad at anyone get mad at whoever leaked the info to him.

He's certainly a douche (michigan grad shocker) but ya that's his job.

Think I know which pic you're talking about. I won't post it either cause it is nasty.

But here's a link to a bunch of firework accident pics from back in '11.

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/f149/fireworks-injuries-68851/

The pic I've seen circulating supposedly of JPP's had is in these pics from years ago. 8th pic down.

Yep! That's the one I saw.

I am glad it is not him 'cause that is ghastly.

He's certainly a douche (michigan grad shocker) but ya that's his job.

It's not his job to post hospital records, just stop. Had he just, you know, reported what his sources told him, fine. Him and the hospital worker(s) are massive douches for putting that out there. It's OK if someone put your mom's or kid's info out on Twitter? It's OK to do it to JPP because he's a celebrity?

Your argument is that the ends justify the means. 'Well people would have found out eventually anyway, so **** ethics'.

Politicians do this. You're not a politician are you?

The one leaked it to the press is certainly at fault, but its disengenius in one hand to knock that person and on the other hand say its okay to leak it to the public. Schefter didnt have to do it.

All he had to do is say that his sources have told him that JPP's finger was getting amputated. He didnt need to post a pic of the records. That's it.

This is my issue as well.  Pic wasn't even necessary but tweeted it out anyway.  Lapse in judgment I suppose.

It's not his job to post hospital records, just stop. Had he just, you know, reported what his sources told him, fine. Him and the hospital worker(s) are massive douches for putting that out there. It's OK if someone put your mom's or kid's info out on Twitter? It's OK to do it to JPP because he's a celebrity?

Your argument is that the ends justify the means. 'Well people would have found out eventually anyway, so **** ethics'.

I have a hard time believing you're angry at Schefter for posting a picture confirming JPP lost a finger in a fireworks accident.  

I have a hard time believing you're angry at Schefter for posting a picture confirming JPP lost a finger in a fireworks accident.

Believe whatever you want.

ESPN has been playing fast and loose with journalistic ethics for YEARS. If Fox News or the NY Times were doing what ESPN does they'd be getting ripped all over the place. Industries have standards. Why are you acting like they don't?

Your argument is that the ends justify the means. 'Well people would have found out eventually anyway, so fuck ethics'.

I agree. Hippa is a real thing. This is clearly a violation.

I'm pretty sure it is illegal.

Believe whatever you want.

ESPN has been playing fast and loose with journalistic ethics for YEARS. If Fox News or the NY Times were doing what ESPN does they'd be getting ripped all over the place. Industries have standards. Why are you acting like they don't?

ESPN is garbage. But we all knew his hand was messed up- confirming what we already knew...not sure why the outrage. If he obtained his medical record, tweeted he lost a finger and didnt tweet the picture...is there really any difference?

ESPN is garbage. But we all knew his hand was messed up- confirming what we already knew...not sure why the outrage. If he obtained his medical record, tweeted he lost a finger and didnt tweet the picture...is there really any difference?

Yes.

The ONLY reason people are saying it's fine is because JPP is a celebrity who did something dumb. He's 26 and he's somebody's kid.

Are you OK if ESPN starts tweeting Tanaka's eventual Tommy John surgery records? I mean we all know he's having Tommy John, right?

HIPAA only applies to medical providers, insurance companies, etc.. Journalists can't violate HIPAA. But whoever leaked the records did.

From what I read seem like you're right. I did see somewhere that Florida has a tough privacy laws.

Archived