Just re-watched Francessa's post-Idzik presser rant

FSU_Jet

I always give head coaches and GM's credit for knowing far more than any of us armchair critics who pretend to be experts on the NFL.  However, Idzik did not make a single transaction in regards to cutting salary that any of us wouldn't have made.  He had bloated contracts that he got rid of or didn't renew...most of them were moves that almost every fan on this forum said had to be made.  And yes, by completely throwing away last season by ignoring our most glaring needs he made more money available instead of adding pieces to a team that went 8-8 the season before. 

I still hold out hope for some of his draft picks but that's about it.

I agree with this...but it's only half of the story.  I HIGHLY doubt the fans on this forum would have had the restraint to not spend all of that easily achieved savings.  I hated Idzik but him being financially responsible and not dolling out long term contracts to sub-par players that offseason gave us a lot of options this year...

:face:  Every single thread that appropriately bashes our former GM results in someone making a feeble attempt to make this point.  What player did Idiotzik release that was not a 100% obvious cut at the time based upon salary and performance?  Sanchez? Scott? Holmes? Pace? Cromartie? 

Then the inevitable next point is, "well he didn't spend a lot last offseason so now they have money to spend."  Correct and they were 4 and 12.  So apparently sitting on your hands and not even attempting to improve the team's crater-like holes creates cap space - brilliant. 

You know what else creates cap space?  Drafting horribly so that you do not have to spend a lot of money resigning players after their rookie contracts are up.

So you're against rebuilding?  I won't defend the guys drafts but he was doing the rebuild correctly.

I have to admit, I got a kick out of it, and I'm no Francesa fan.

Wasn't sure which I liked more, looking at Francesa's  honest emotion or waiting for his aorta to pop.

Please post video when his aorta pops.  Until then I am not clicking any links with his name.

Can we just change this to a 'current events' thread? I was hoping we could also discuss the following clip I was just rewatching...

"Current events" six months ago's events.  Whichever.

So you're against rebuilding?  I won't defend the guys drafts but he was doing the rebuild correctly.

?

How so?

If he had signed a decent corner, we wouldn't have had to sign 3 this year.  I think the market was better in 2014, but when he struck out on Vontae Davis he went into a shell.

He wasted a decent chunk of change on Mike Vick and Chris Johnson, neither of whom were long term answers.  He blew $7M on Percy Harvin when the team was 1-6.  Maybe we can forgive the last because it may have been a last ditch effort to save his job and avert the billboards, but the rest?  Nah.  I'm not buying that was "doing the rebuild correctly."  Hell, his extension on Kerley was for questionable money too.  Why not have signed say Andre Roberts for $1M less per year?

Mike Francesa has always been spot-on when it comes to the Jets.

And it irks some Jets fans because his observations are always about something they did that was incredibly stupid.

SAR I

So Francesa has 20/20 hindsight and Jets fans are just whiners because no one likes having that sh*t pointed out to them after the fact?

This whole thread is about Francesa's response to Idzik's presser.  That was in October. Guess it's more than 6 months.  Not exactly current.  Guess that was the purpose of your quotes - I can't see your video.  Maybe that was your point.

The video was of the moon landing. It was pure sarcasm. Dummy.

What?

This whole thread is about Francesa's response to Idzik's presser.  That was in October. Guess it's more than 6 months.  Not exactly current.  Guess that was the purpose of your quotes - I can't see your video.  Maybe that was your point.

The video was of the moon landing. It was pure sarcasm. Dummy.

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!

Quite a logic leap, eh?   The rebuild was going correctly in Year 1.  They were capped out and signed some low level guys like Landry and Colon to fill some holes and contribute.  They started a rookie QB and any logical fan would have written that season off and we still managed to go 8-8.  We then enter the following offseason with 12 draft picks and $45M in cap space and your argument is that this is the appropriate time to tear it back down?  I was all for the rebuild, but the "plan" must take some sort of logical chronology.  It's critical to remember the context in which his non-action took place.  Idzik apologists rarely do that.

Idzik's 'cap space created' and not spending anything is the reason the Jets have to spend to the max for the next year or so. Thats not necessarily a good thing. He was an abomination of a football exec.

:face:  Every single thread that appropriately bashes our former GM results in someone making a feeble attempt to make this point.  What player did Idiotzik release that was not a 100% obvious cut at the time based upon salary and performance?  Sanchez? Scott? Holmes? Pace? Cromartie? 

Then the inevitable next point is, "well he didn't spend a lot last offseason so now they have money to spend."  Correct and they were 4 and 12.  So apparently sitting on your hands and not even attempting to improve the team's crater-like holes creates cap space - brilliant. 

You know what else creates cap space?  Drafting horribly so that you do not have to spend a lot of money resigning players after their rookie contracts are up.

Oh give me a break. You seriously, HONESTLY, believe those were OBVIOUS cuts?!!?!

Oh give me a break. You seriously, HONESTLY, believe those were OBVIOUS cuts?!!?!

I seriously, HONESTLY, hope that is a great deal of sarcasm in your post.

If not, I would LOVE to debate this issue:  Scott and Holmes played a grand total of 3 NFL games between them after being released.  Pace and Cromartie were making $9M each for about $1M-$2M worth of production at the time and cutting Sanchez saved us $8M.  So, yes, 100% obvious cuts.

I seriously, HONESTLY, hope that is a great deal of sarcasm in your post.

If not, I would LOVE to debate this issue:  Scott and Holmes played a grand total of 3 NFL games between them after being released.  Pace and Cromartie were making $9M each for about $1M-$2M worth of production at the time and cutting Sanchez saved us $8M.  So, yes, 100% obvious cuts.

Thought the same thing...absolutely had to be sarcasm.

I agree with this...but it's only half of the story.  I HIGHLY doubt the fans on this forum would have had the restraint to not spend all of that easily achieved savings.  I hated Idzik but him being financially responsible and not dolling out long term contracts to sub-par players that offseason gave us a lot of options this year...

The market was much more reasonable last offseason and his failure to land a CB then forced us to spend wildly to improve the position this year when it was much more of a players market.  In addition, his trade for Harvin when we were 1-7 cost us $8M of his beloved "room" when the season was already over.  Any way you slice it, he was a total disaster. 

Yes. Anyone hired would have made those cuts. That was easy. Dumping the Holmes, Sanchez type contracts didn't take insignia creativity. He didn't redo contracts of high priced essential players to create room. He dumped players with big contracts who had to go.

The draft speaks for itself but why didn't he bring in talent through FA to fill holes? Idzik fans always point to the cap space this season. Why didn't he use it last season? Why didn't he bring in offensive talent to help his inexperienced QB? What advantage was it to save cap space for this year and giving away last season? So why is anyone sure he would have used the space like Macc did?

Archived