BR: #1 Jets Training Camp Sleeper.

Patriot Killa

Antonio Allen - #1

By now, most Jets fans know full well who Antonio Allen is. But for years, what no one could figure out is exactly what role the Jets envisioned him to fill.

He started off his career like most rookie seventh-round draft choices, earning his paychecks by performing special teams duties. He stepped into a bigger role in his second season, starting nine games and playing a large majority of the snaps in the first seven games of the season (330 out of 509 snaps for 64.8 percent, according to Pro Football Focus).

His career trajectory was knocked off course when the Jets picked up Ed Reed off the streets in the middle of the 2013 season. From that point on, Allen played a menial role (220 out of 621 snaps for 35.4 percent). It appeared he would get a shot to lock down a starting spot at safety the next season, but he was instead moved to cornerback to help address a shortage at the position.

The position switch failed, but now, Allen has a chance to set himself apart in a competition among four safeties for backup spots. Durell Eskridge, Jaiquawn Jarrett and Rontez Miles are all vying for the same duties as Allen, but thanks to his experience in New York, Allen could have the upper hand.

The rest of the list can be viewed here:

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2515769-ranking-new-york-jets-top-5-sleepers-to-watch-in-camp/page/6

I am a big fan of Antonio Allen. I would seriously hate to see him cut. I hope Bowles has an essential role for him, particularly playing LB in dime situations.

Bowles plays a lot of "big nickel" D with safety / LB hybrids coming in - perfect role for Allen.

This is what I thought when Bowles was coming in, I just did not get the vibe that they liked him too much.  We won't know until camp, it's just a feeling. The fact that they brought in a couple of FS types in Gilchrist and Eskridge may not bode well.  Basically it would leave Pryor, Allen, Jarrett and Miles looking at 2 or so slots.  They also might keep one less CB since Gilchrist has NFL experience at CB.  These guys may be competing with Walls and Williams as much as each other.

This is what I thought when Bowles was coming in, I just did not get the vibe that they liked him too much. We won't know until camp, it's just a feeling. The fact that they brought in a couple of FS types in Gilchrist and Eskridge may not bode well. Basically it would leave Pryor, Allen, Jarrett and Miles looking at 2 or so slots. They also might keep one less CB since Gilchrist has NFL experience at CB. These guys may be competing with Walls and Williams as much as each other.

Williams played amazing last year. I cannot envision him being cut.

I thought Allen was actually doing a pretty decent job at safety until Rex got Reedified. Would have been nice to see how he developed given more time at the position he's supposed to be playing.

I agree.   Never did understand why Rex  went with Reed.  Last year was a lost season.  Idzik screwed up the CB situation so bad Allen was the best cover corner on the team at the time.   Then appeared to lose his confidence.

Hope he gets a chance to compete this year

If I had to come up with my 53 man roster..

This is off the top of my head so excuse me if I'm missing a player.

QB

Geno Smith

Fitz

RB

Ivory

Powell

Ridley

Stacy

WR

Marshall

Decker

Kerley

Smith

Owusu

Evans

Enunwa

TE

Amaro

Cumberland

Maneri

OL

Brick

Carpenter

Mangold

Aboushi

Giacomini

Dozier

Winters

Ijalana

Freeman or Colon.

DL

Sheldon (S)

Wilk

Harrison

Williams

Barnes

Douzable

Bowen (cut when Rich is activated)

LB

Coples

Harris

Davis

IK

Pace

Mauldin

Taiwan Jones

Lattimore

Erin Henderson

CB

Revis

Cro

Skrine

McDougle

Milliner

Williams

Walls

S

Pryor (sucks, I actually messages him on Instagram and told him he needs to step up and responds by saying "suck my di**"

Gilchrist

J. Jarret

Antonio Allen

ST

Folk Quigley

Purdum

I hope Bowles has an essential role for him, particularly playing LB in dime situations.

Look! Someone who actually knows about football. You don't have to start to make the team. #39 SHOULD make it on ST and sub-packages as a Dime LB.

Williams played amazing last year. I cannot envision him being cut.

Eh.  He played excellent for what he was.  OTOH, they have 3 lock vets, plus Milliner and McDougle coming off injury.  They also have Walls who, understandably, seemed to have more responsibility -  generally covered the better receiver, got more run, etc.  Williams will be somewhere, but unlike 2014 when we started crap all year, we are going to cut an NFL player this year.  I think a bunch will depend on how they view the safety position.  They may see Gilchrist as a tweener CB/S and then they'd have 4 guys they are not cutting.

He's a football player, not a flower.

So? Instead of being sarcastic why don't you use an open mind? Obviously starting a 35 year old who runs a 5.3 now takes away from Allen and his reps. Which takes away from his game time experience which alters his quality of play.

I thought Allen was actually doing a pretty decent job at safety until Rex got Reedified. Would have been nice to see how he developed given more time at the position he's supposed to be playing.

The same Reed everyone said developed Milliner when he can on board?

Win one, lose one?

I am a big fan of Antonio Allen. I would seriously hate to see him cut. I hope Bowles has an essential role for him, particularly playing LB in dime situations.

If nothing more than to mug Gronkowski twice a year, he'd be worth keeping..,.

He did a decent job, but locked down?  We all remember the pick 6.  He seemed to do a nice job in that game.  Gronkowski had 114 yards. 

I think Allen gets a lot of love for that performance not just because the pick six, but I think Gronk had double-digit targets...fourteen or something like that.  If somebody had said he'd be targeted fourteen times a lot of folks would have predicted 10-11 catches for 170.  Well, I would have anyway.  Allen did as much as you could've asked for in that spot.

I think Allen gets a lot of love for that performance not just because the pick six, but I think Gronk had double-digit targets...fourteen or something like that.  If somebody had said he'd be targeted fourteen times a lot of folks would have predicted 10-11 catches for 170.  Well, I would have anyway.  Allen did as much as you could've asked for in that spot.

Maybe.  I still had the box up - it was 17 targets.  Still not sure 8 for 114 (half of Brady's output) constitutes locked down.  Allen did fine, but it was also Gronkowski's first game back.  He was coming off multiple surgeries and was on the preseason PUP list.  That was week 7 on October 20 and he had last played when he left the playoff game against the Texans with the arm injury.  He missed the Conference Championship against the Ravens.  During the offseason he ended up having all the surgeries on his arm (forearm surgery which got infected requiring a couple of more) and back surgery.

Maybe.  I still had the box up - it was 17 targets.  Still not sure 8 for 114 (half of Brady's output) constitutes locked down.  Allen did fine, but it was also Gronkowski's first game back.  He was coming off multiple surgeries and was on the preseason PUP list.  That was week 7 on October 20 and he had last played when he left the playoff game against the Texans with the arm injury.  He missed the Conference Championship against the Ravens.  During the offseason he ended up having all the surgeries on his arm (forearm surgery which got infected requiring a couple of more and back surgery) 

Yup...have to figure their timing may have been a bit off and Allen was far from "locking him down" but he performed admirably.  I really do like Allen though...brings a lot to the table so I hope Bowles finds a role for him.

Yup...have to figure their timing may have been a bit off and Allen was far from "locking him down" but he performed admirably.  I really do like Allen though...brings a lot to the table so I hope Bowles finds a role for him.

I like Allen too, but I'm not sure what he actually brings.  He is big and seems stout against the run and decent in man coverage, but he seems pretty bad in space.  He plays sort of like a big slow CB.  We expected him to take time to develop and last year probably stunted that.  I'm not sure what he provides on specials.  You'd think he'd shine there, but I don't remember making many (any?) plays.

I like Allen too, but I'm not sure what he actually brings.  He is big and seems stout against the run and decent in man coverage, but he seems pretty bad in space.  He plays sort of like a big slow CB.  We expected him to take time to develop and last year probably stunted that.  I'm not sure what he provides on specials.  You'd think he'd shine there, but I don't remember making many (any?) plays.

I don't see him being great at any one thing, but he can be solid against the run and in man so if Bowles is as good as advertised I'd be surprised if he doesn't find a role for him.  I don't think he'll ever be  superstar, but he can do a couple of things well for a small price.

I don't see him being great at any one thing, but he can be solid against the run and in man so if Bowles is as good as advertised I'd be surprised if he doesn't find a role for him.  I don't think he'll ever be  superstar, but he can do a couple of things well for a small price.

Yeah.  Worth his salary somewhere to be sure.  The only reason I wonder about him sticking is how stacked we are at DB.  We have a bunch of CBs, maybe 7, plus a few safeties that should stick.  I was surprised they tendered Jarrett.  I'm on the Rontez Miles bandwagon. 

Yeah.  Worth his salary somewhere to be sure.  The only reason I wonder about him sticking is how stacked we are at DB.  We have a bunch of CBs, maybe 7, plus a few safeties that should stick.  I was surprised they tendered Jarrett.  I'm on the Rontez Miles bandwagon. 

Curious about Miles...real shame what happened to him at the end of last season when it looked like he was gonna' get a few reps.

Funny.  He is high on my list of potential surprise cuts.

In all honesty it could be either.  Competition will be much stiffer for sure and he does have a real shot at getting cut if he does not jump up and grab the attention of the coaches right out of the gate.  On the other hand he has flashed enough in the time that he has been here to think that he might just thrive in a more settled backfield.

I am guardedly optimistic about his place in a secondary which is hugely better than last year regardless of what Allen does.

I worry more about Pryor needing to step up TBH.  Rex's last gift to the Jets.

Archived