Ex Jet Jerricho Cotchery's house on the market Watchung N.J

joewilly12

I'm trying to talk my wife into relocating to NC. Low cost of living, still close to the beach, while it can get quit warm then do still have 4 seasons there, nice people. I'd go in a heartbeat, love NJ and I think it gets a bad reputation but I'm just tired of paying so much to live here. $10k a year in property taxes on a 1600 sq ft. home is ridiculous to me.

NJ is a putrid real estate market right now. Highest property taxes and most bankrupt state govt.

Incredible because you think proximity to NYC would help but NYC's real estate market which is going nuts is being inflated by European investors trying to get their savings out of Russia and/or crashing Eurozone.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't think it's possible to overrate the culture in NYC. I'm sure other big cities are similar, but the number of things to do here is endless. In the past month I've been to a street art auction, a vegan booze festival, a TV talk show taping, a Broadway show, a brand new modern art museum - all inexpensively (or free!), and I don't even live in the city.

As for the beach, I have a share in a house on Fire Island and, as a shift worker, get days off during the week to make the trip to Moses. I get to the beach quite a bit. Even in the offseason, I still come out, take the walk to the lighthouse.

I'm not selling anyone else on it. Like I said, I'm outta here when I retire! But while I'm here, I take full advantage of what the area has to offer - and it's a lot. And you can do it on a lot less than SAR money, too.

I'm a New Yorker and New York is the greatest city in the world but other cities in America are catching up developing their downtowns to be as culturally diverse and fun. Places like Atlanta, Indianapolis etc. those downtowns 20 years ago you'd need a bulletproof vest to go hang out in after 5pm now they're Hoboken.

NYC being nearby fills a lot of gaps.

Saturday, my wife and I had no plans - looking for something to do.

Got in the car, drove 40 minutes from Jersey to Soho where I parked on the street for free - no traffic coming in.

Walked around awhile and hopped on the R train up to Union Square.

Had a great lunch at Max Brenner's with an awesome chocolate dessert - out of there for $65

Walked around Union Square for awhile to look at all the freaks.

Hopped back on the subway, in the car, back home by 4 to watch the Knicks Summer League in Vegas.

Turned a boring day into a really good one.

I wouldn't be able to abandon that option to be able to bolt into the city whenever I want.  There is always something to do or going on there.

BTW, for you Knicks fans out there, Porzingis looked good. Could be the real deal.

I really don't think it's possible to overrate the culture in NYC. I'm sure other big cities are similar, but the number of things to do here is endless. In the past month I've been to a street art auction, a vegan booze festival, a TV talk show taping, a Broadway show, a brand new modern art museum - all inexpensively (or free!), and I don't even live in the city.

As for the beach, I have a share in a house on Fire Island and, as a shift worker, get days off during the week to make the trip to Moses. I get to the beach quite a bit. Even in the offseason, I still come out, take the walk to the lighthouse.

I'm not selling anyone else on it. Like I said, I'm outta here when I retire! But while I'm here, I take full advantage of what the area has to offer - and it's a lot. And you can do it on a lot less than SAR money, too.

Yes..absolutely. I get it. NYC has energy.  I sometime envision myself selling my practice, (I have save d a good bit) and simply moving to the upper east side where my dad is from and I spent much of my youth.  I Love NYC in that regard. As a CPA with a family, I commuted in from LI, 1.5 hours each way, paid to park, paid for LIRR, subway etc...     Getting to NYC was a chore.  I simply lived right near the beach for many years (West Islip) and rarely went.

I moved for a better life.....     For me found it, for me. My kids went to UNC and NC State, met great friends etc.  I make a GREAT living as a financial advisor here, belong to a golf club 5 minutes from my home, workout every morning right near my office. My entire life revolves around southpark neighborhood in Charlotte.  Like Garden City or Melville. 

Charlotte is booming. I go downtown a bit. The city is packed, bars, great hip restaurants etc. It takes me 10 minutes to drive in. 

I am NOT knocking NYC, love it!  Just simply saying, MANY NYers think anything other than NYC is the sticks.  It is not.

Check out our website....www.charlottejetsfans.com.  Lots of us here.

and to SAR I's point, I lease a nice BMW :)

I'm a New Yorker and New York is the greatest city in the world but other cities in America are catching up developing their downtowns to be as culturally diverse and fun. Places like Atlanta, Indianapolis etc. those downtowns 20 years ago you'd need a bulletproof vest to go hang out in after 5pm now they're Hoboken.

Indy's not hoboken in terms of number of places to go downtown.

and 5 miles outside of hoboken is NYC.  5 miles outside of indy is cornfields.

Week or two after? I think September is the best month. The water is actually warmer and there are less annoying people. Seems like the Hamptons lost a bit of the annoying beach people charm with all the Jersey Shore nonsense. As far as I can tell, Neptune's, Summers and Hot Dog are all gone now. Guess with Allan's Acres becoming (coming soon!) condos, there was no place for the annoyings to stay.

Everyone is in Montauk now

When I was your age I did. And it wasn't my parents place. And I didn't knit socks.

SAR I

Yeah but you don't. My parents live in PA. And I don't knit socks either. Talk about irrelevant And you're dissing the wrong thing. If you could be so lucky as to find someone willing to knit you handmade socks for $200 you'd be extremely grateful 

I bet you're an absolute blast at parties. 

The goal in life is to be sufficiently satisfied with one's self and one's family so as to not need the social support of others to be fulfilled.

A "party" is Facebook for drunks.

SAR I

Makes perfect sense!  Why not drive an extra couple of hours so that you can see the lighthouse and go to a rocky beach!

Works for us.  Less crowded at K where we have been going since forever.

Like you said all the clubs have been shut down and that scene is kind of over I guess....they've moved further east to the bars and such as you can see here

http://nypost.com/2015/07/14/hamptons-locals-furious-over-partiers-boozing-and-sex/

The goal in life is to be sufficiently satisfied with one's self and one's family so as to not need the social support of others to be fulfilled.

A "party" is Facebook for drunks.

SAR I

Says the guy who brags about how much he makes to anonymous people on a football messaging board...

Says the guy who brags about how much he makes to anonymous people on a football messaging board...

There is a difference between bragging and stating fact.

If you were rich, you'd understand this.

SAR I

Like you said all the clubs have been shut down and that scene is kind of over I guess....they've moved further east to the bars and such as you can see here

http://nypost.com/2015/07/14/hamptons-locals-furious-over-partiers-boozing-and-sex/

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.  I have a house in the Slums of South Hampton.  We have the beach sticker, so we are happy and would spend every summer there.  My Mom and Dad still do and go to the beach every single day.  I remember when we were kids that people would always be coming in from the city and trying to get us to go to the beach clubs, Boardy Barn, CPI/OBI East, etc.  They could never understand that went out there to get away from those people. Last thing we wanted was to go out and see the same faces as all winter in the City and Bay Ridge.

There is a difference between bragging and stating fact.

If you were rich, you'd understand this.

SAR I

Rich? Compared to whom, a kid in his twenties paying his way through grad school? Sure, top notch. But compared to people who have f*ck you money? Not even close. I've worked with men who are worth 8, 9 and 10 figures and I can tell you one thing for a fact, they don't spend time telling people what they have, they don't have to.  You remind me of the guy who tells his dates how much money he makes or about his BMW, instead of the guy who pulls up in a rarri and doesn't have to say a thing.  

Rich? Compared to whom, a kid in his twenties paying his way through grad school? Sure, top notch. But compared to people who have f*ck you money? Not even close. I've worked with men who are worth 8, 9 and 10 figures and I can tell you one thing for a fact, they don't spend time telling people what they have, they don't have to.  You remind me of the guy who tells his dates how much money he makes or about his BMW, instead of the guy who pulls up in a rarri and doesn't have to say a thing.  

So, like a poorer version of Pickle F-cker.

I'm trying to talk my wife into relocating to NC.  Low cost of living, still close to the beach, while it can get quit warm then do still have 4 seasons there, nice people.  I'd go in a heartbeat, love NJ and I think it gets a bad reputation but I'm just tired of paying so much to live here.  $10k a year in property taxes on a 1600 sq ft. home is ridiculous to me.

move to Maine instead

Stop already.  A guy in a new BMW is just as impressive as a guy in a Ferrari to most women, trust me.

SAR I

and 5 miles outside of hoboken is NYC. 5 miles outside of indy is cornfields.

Yeah but you don't have to drop $3k per month in rent plus there are actually good paying jobs available.

and 5 miles outside of hoboken is NYC.  5 miles outside of indy is cornfields.

and it only costs about $20 in tolls to get there, $30 to park and hope you are not broken into when there. :)

I lived on LI. To see a JET game was 2 hours, $30 in tolls, parking etc... here in Charlotte, I drive in (15 minutes) great bars in downtown, great tailgate, $10-$20 to park. GREAT jobs here.  Many NY,NJ etc co's have relocated their operations here.  

and it only costs about $20 in tolls to get there, $30 to park and hope you are not broken into when there. :)

I lived on LI. To see a JET game was 2 hours, $30 in tolls, parking etc... here in Charlotte, I drive in (15 minutes) great bars in downtown, great tailgate, $10-$20 to park. GREAT jobs here. Many NY,NJ etc co's have relocated their operations here.

When I lived in Seattle I walked to Centurylink it was that close to the downtown.

The worst part of the NY-area is it just doesn't have the job market to justify the ridiculous cost of living. But people still insist on living there and every time I go back its more crowded

Archived