Bryce Petty Sticking To The Plan

flgreen

Wasn't known for his attitude, though.  Even when he was drafted he was widely known to be a d-bag.  But you're right, why not compare a 4th round project with one of the worst draft picks of all time?

Ah man.   I thought you were talking about Petty.  Went to the trouble of finding several quotes from teammates and coaches saying what a great guy he was.  Fortunately re-read your post and realized you were talking about Leaf. 

Drats

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah man.   I thought you were talking about Petty.  Went to the trouble of finding several quotes from teammates and coaches saying what a great guy he was.  Fortunately re-read your post and realized you were talking about Leaf. 

Drats

Agreed.  Everybody seems to like Petty.

Petty is a really interesting guy, that is going to look bad in preseason games I think, and most people are going to jump ship on him.   I don't expect him to do much at all this year, because he has such a learning curve to go on, and he also has some mechanical issues to fix.  But for a project QB, he does fit the bill.  Good size, great arm, good IQ, good accuracy, and seems to be a hard worker.  

On Draft Day when the Jets took Petty, I think it was Bill Polian who said Jet fans need to be patient with this guy.  That because of the bigger learning curve Petty has to overcome, he's going to look awkward (and even bad) at first.  But if we give him a little time, he can be a very good QB.

It's the amount of time for which a person or animal has lived. This is normally measured in years, or cycles of 365 days, the time it takes the Earth to make one full revolution around the sun. It begins on the day of your birth. So, for example, if you were born on July 13, 2010, you would be 5 years old today.

Thanks.  I feel better about the kid now.

At that age, I would of guessed he'd be less raw. A year or two after sitting, he's going to be 25, 26 years old. At the end of the day, if he can turn out to be a franchise QB, I'd be happy as hell.

I don't think raw is the right way to describe him...it's just that he played in a different style offense...He could have played in that system a decade, mastered it in every conceivable way and still wouldn't be prepared to be and NFL QB.  

I don't get the whole age thing.  If he emerges as our starting quarterback next year or the year after, he will only be 26 and would have had one/two years of apprenticeship under his belt.   He should have a good 6 - 8 productive years and that is more than enough for me.  

He's not a RB - QB's play well into their 30's - 

If he turns out to be the guy he can play for 15 years.

He's not a RB - QB's play well into their 30's - 

If he turns out to be the guy he can play for 15 years.

Sure he can but odds are against that.  Only a hand full of qbs play that long; especially at a high level. As I stated I will be happy with 6 - 8 productive seasons.

And QB's are only good till they are about 38, so that means we have a max of 14 years with the guy, if he works out.

Uh no, it just means that you can effectively extend his career by two years over the typical career of an NFL QB. So instead of being productive until the age of 38, it will be 40, instead.

I don't think raw is the right way to describe him...it's just that he played in a different style offense...He could have played in that system a decade, mastered it in every conceivable way and still wouldn't be prepared to be and NFL QB.  

You could literally say that about every QB to come out in the last ten years outside of Luck and Winston. The spread offense dominates college football and does a poor job of preparing QBs for the NFL. Compounded with extremely short-term developmental cycles (starting rookie QBs without learning the position) and you've got yourself an extremely tough position for most young players.

With that being said, Petty has the tools and appears fairly intelligent. I have no doubts he will be able to learn the position and become the Jets franchise QB. Zero doubt whatsoever. 

Uh no, it just means that you can effectively extend his career by two years over the typical career of an NFL QB. So instead of being productive until the age of 38, it will be 40, instead.

I'm big on Petty sitting for a bit and hopefully becoming an above average QB.

That said, nature is a bitch. Bodies break down. If he can be decent from 27-35 I'm cool with that. This is all crystal ball stuff though.

Yes

Point being, even if he's 2 years older, IF he works out (big if) he would still be good for us for more than a decade.

Uh, no, this makes no sense at all.  Players don't break down because they played 14 years and you just slide year 14 to 40 instead of 38.  They break down because they're 38

You could literally say that about every QB to come out in the last ten years outside of Luck and Winston. The spread offense dominates college football and does a poor job of preparing QBs for the NFL. Compounded with extremely short-term developmental cycles (starting rookie QBs without learning the position) and you've got yourself an extremely tough position for most young players.

With that being said, Petty has the tools and appears fairly intelligent. I have no doubts he will be able to learn the position and become the Jets franchise QB. Zero doubt whatsoever.

This guy gets it

Just watched a show on ESPN about Baylor Bryce Petty is the real deal if Geno Smith falters he is our future.

As I mentioned at the start of this  thread, I sincerely hope and think Petty is the future QB of the NYJ.

Jets are going to be simultaneously evaluating Geno and Petty all year. If they need to move from Geno to Fitz -barring a playoff run- I'd expect them to try and get Petty on the field by the end of the year, see him in some real game action. They'll want to have solid information about the fourth rounder if they're going into another offseason with QB questions.

On Draft Day when the Jets took Petty, I think it was Bill Polian who said Jet fans need to be patient with this guy.  That because of the bigger learning curve Petty has to overcome, he's going to look awkward (and even bad) at first.  But if we give him a little time, he can be a very good QB.

Polian should shut his stupid I lucked into Peyton Manning trap shut. That's not how we do things around here. Bryce Petty must start week 1 this year, whether he's ready or not. That's how we roll. Be patient, lol. What an idiot.

Just watched a show on ESPN about Baylor Bryce Petty is the real deal if Geno Smith falters he is our future.

joewilly12 meet comma. Comma meet joewilly12. I think you two are going to really hit it off. 

If Geno sh*ts the bed continuously from Game 1, I wonder how much rope Bowles will give him before he replaces him?

I have no idea of Bowles history or thinking on this topic, if he has any.

If we start out 0-2 and Geno looks terrible Fitz will be the starter.

If we start out 0-2 and Geno looks terrible Fitz will be the starter.

Depends how terrible and how shaky he looked in August, just prior to going with him week 1 in the first place. But if he barely escapes losing the week 1 job, and he looks just that bad again, and that's why we're 0-2? Yeah I think he'd get benched before another season's written off on a tryout for a bad QB. Only unlike Geno's first 2 seasons, this time the rest of the team would seem plenty good enough.

Also even in that situation depends what built in excuses get rationalized on his behalf (most notably, lots of injuries all around him so we're starting backups again). Those excuses might keep him out there for longer, even if it's the wrong move (or rather, non-move).

But if Fitzpatrick is fully healed, and Smith looks that bad again, and is the primary and obvious culprit between starting 2-0 and 0-2, he's hitting the pine. Otherwise what was the point in trading a pick (even that 7th rounder) for a year of Fitz in the first place?

Interested to see how Geno looks this summer. 2 years of experience QBing an NFL offense (such as it was) and now a more QB friendly system with as many WR options a QB has a right to have. If he screws up again he's not going to have any defenders and excuse-makers left on his side.

Depends how terrible and how shaky he looked in August, just prior to going with him week 1 in the first place. But if he barely escapes losing the week 1 job, and he looks just that bad again, and that's why we're 0-2? Yeah I think he'd get benched before another season's written off on a tryout for a bad QB. Only unlike Geno's first 2 seasons, this time the rest of the team would seem plenty good enough.

Also even in that situation depends what built in excuses get rationalized on his behalf (most notably, lots of injuries all around him so we're starting backups again). Those excuses might keep him out there for longer, even if it's the wrong move (or rather, non-move).

But if Fitzpatrick is fully healed, and Smith looks that bad again, and is the primary and obvious culprit between starting 2-0 and 0-2, he's hitting the pine. Otherwise what was the point in trading a pick (even that 7th rounder) for a year of Fitz in the first place?

Interested to see how Geno looks this summer. 2 years of experience QBing an NFL offense (such as it was) and now a more QB friendly system with as many WR options a QB has a right to have. If he screws up again he's not going to have any defenders and excuse-makers left on his side.

Fitz is a much better player than a way past his prime Vick. Like you said depends on his health and how bad Geno looks. If Geno looks semi-decent it's his job to keep.

Fitz is a much better player than a way past his prime Vick. Like you said depends on his health and how bad Geno looks. If Geno looks semi-decent it's his job to keep.

Aggree except for the part about his job to keep. Geno will have to produce during the season to keep it!! Can he I think not. Just my opinion.

I have zero expectations for Petty.  If he turns into something then great we got a steal but I have no illusions he is the guy down the road.

I'm sure some posters on here will sooner than later insist he is McCagnans 'guy'

just like people that insisted that Geno Smith was Idziks guy despite being drafted 3rd in that draft by the Jets and no attempt at all for the jets to trade up to get him later in the 1st or early 2nd.

This season is the most solid built roster we've in many years, We have holes but who doesn't. The BIG Question mark is the Q.B if (Big If) we get some where near Average Q.B play, the Jets will be a playoff side. If we get the Geno from that last two years, we will be lucky to get 5-6 wins. Should Geno final "get it" with our D, and the play makers we now have on Offence, then we will be Rocking.

Either way I've not looked forward to a new season as much in many a moon.

Roll on camp it's been a long football drought!

just like people that insisted that Geno Smith was Idziks guy despite being drafted 3rd in that draft by the Jets and no attempt at all for the jets to trade up to get him later in the 1st or early 2nd.

Might be right if he was a 3rd. But if If they did insist they would be right.

Geno was drafted 39th, a high 2nd, not a 3rd round pick. ;)

Archived