Is Moving CB Dee Milliner To Safety An Option for the New York Jets ? ? ?

kelly

Could Dee Milliner excel as a true free safety alongside Calvin Pryor ?

That's the question I've been contemplating for a while.Lately I've have to take a break from GGN due to family reasons, but that hasn't stopped me from thinking about the roster and how we can get the maximum return on the players that are available to us. One of the most interesting players is Dee Milliner, the 9th overall selection of the 2013 NFL Draft, a cornerback from Alabama.

Now we all know that Milliner has struggled in his first two seasons with the New York Jets. He suffered from a hamstring problem and uneven play in 2013, which led to him being benched by Rex Ryan on more than one occasion. During the 2014 off-season he suffered a high ankle sprain, keeping him off the practice field and out of the first game of the season. In week 6 he tore his Achilles tendon, ending his 2nd season early and in disappointing fashion.

Teams inquired about the availability of Dee Milliner this off-season, offering up mid and late round selections for the talented Alabama prospect. The Jets decided to hold firm with their man & believe he will become good, as soon as we can figure out how to keep him out of the trainers room.The Jets have a lack of real depth at the free safety position and although Marcus Gilchrist is slated to start there, he isn't a natural fit at the position. The Jets are now loaded at cornerback, having signed free agents Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine. Todd Bowles likes to run a lot of sub-packages, so the 3rd and 4th cornerbacks for the Jets will be getting plenty of work, but with Dexter McDougle enjoying an impressive off-season, would it be wise to move Dee Milliner to the free safety position ?

When you have a first round selection, it's important to get value out of him. At best Dee Milliner will be the Jets 4th cornerback this year but that's not even guaranteed with McDougle. So could he offer more value as a free safety ?  Absolutely.   First of all, Todd Bowles likes to play a lot of press coverage. This is suited to Revis and, to an extent, Cromartie, but that doesn't suit Dee Milliner. Nick Saban is notorious for having his corners play off the line, limiting the big play potential. So immediately, Milliner is better at playing the ball in front of him. With his numerous injuries, turning and running with receivers isn't getting easier and backpedaling puts a lot of strain on the Achilles.

Milliner has good instincts and shows off some impressive range.He has good length and showcases a little strength in the upper body. He also has good recognition on double moves and tracks the deep ball well. When you add to that the fact he has very impressive closing speed, it's quite the resume for a starting free safety in the NFL.Is it time to give up on Milliner as a corner ? Probably not.  However, does it add more value for the Jets right now and over the next year or two to get a starting caliber free safety? I would argue it does.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/7/20/9002333/is-moving-dee-milliner-to-safety-an-option

Not necessarily Milliner, but I was wondering the same thing with so many CB's on the roster...can one of them make the move?  Worth looking at in the event Gilchrist doesn't work out.

I was thinking the same thing, but for Cromartie; granted he would have to re-work his deal, but assuming Milliner or McDoogle can take his spot next year, he might make a good transition.

Cromartie is big/tall and still pretty fast.  He doesn't jam on the line the way you would like but that isn't as important for a FS.

I know that some great CBs have transitioned later in the careers into a good FS, but I imagine is is more the exception than the rule.  Easy to say, but not sure he can make the move.  It would lengthen his career a bit.

I read this one a little bit ago.  Someone on here (JKwaz?) said he always felt Milliner was a good candidate for safety.  I don't see how the Saban no backpedal thing matters at this point.  He is three years removed from that and has been practicing and prepping as a cover corner all that time.  I think they may use one of the corners there, but I am hoping that Milliner plays well enough to dump Cro next year and spend that money elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing, but for Cromartie; granted he would have to re-work his deal, but assuming Milliner or McDoogle can take his spot next year, he might make a good transition.

Cromartie is big/tall and still pretty fast.  He doesn't jam on the line the way you would like but that isn't as important for a FS.

I know that some great CBs have transitioned later in the careers into a good FS, but I imagine is is more the exception than the rule.  Easy to say, but not sure he can make the move.  It would lengthen his career a bit.

There were a bunch of stats from 2012 or so about how absolutely sh*tty Cromartie plays off the man.  I doubt he has gotten any better.

There were a bunch of stats from 2012 or so about how absolutely sh*tty Cromartie plays off the man.  I doubt he has gotten any better.

Also how sh*tty he was in zone in San Diego when they changed their D around. It's why he was available in the first place (never mind for a conditional 3rd rounder).

Rod Woodson a long time Pitt CB won a SB with Balt as a FS

Charles Woodson. A long time Oak CB won a SB with BG as a FS

Totally forgot about Rod Woodson.

Didnt both Rod and Charles have respectable careers at CB before converting to FS? Werent both players "iron men" during their careers...with one of those careers still active? 

Didnt both Rod and Charles have respectable careers at CB before converting to FS? Werent both players "iron men" during their careers...with one of those careers still active?

That is correct. That is also why I believe if Revis TRULY LOVES FB and NY, I see him switching to FS and extending his pro career (if he wants) by at least another 5 years AFTER he's done as a Man Cover CB.

There does seem to be a caveat of having been an EXCEPTIONAL multiple ALL-Pro CB in order to make the transition to an effective safety.

Milliner hasn't played a successful season of any football here at CB and we are now moving him to a new position S???????????????

Yeah, it's called ROI- Return on Investment.

He is an asset, highly depreciated already, but THERE IS STILL VALUE to CAPITALIZE ON by seeing if he can have more impact at another position.

He is an asset, highly depreciated already, but THERE IS STILL VALUE to CAPITALIZE ON by seeing if he can have more impact at another position.

There's more value if he can play CB, really the only interesting point the author makes is that the duties of a FS could be less physically demanding after the achilles injury

There's more value if he can play CB, really the only interesting point the author makes is that the duties of a FS could be less physically demanding after the achilles injury

We all agree there's more value at CB, but there is a strong contention of fans who have clamored to just trade/cut him, which IMO is stupid. He still is a physical talent when healthy, my philosophy is to squeeze all the use (position switch) you can while you can.

You never know how a player responds to a position change - hopefully positive.

My point is that it's still too early to give up on the guy.

Lane Johnson was a QB.

More like risk and reward Milliner or McDougle will be replacing Cromartie in a few years.

More like risk and reward Milliner or McDougle will be replacing Cromartie in a few years.

Every Investment (ie, picking a player in the draft) has Risk & Reward, that's the point.

I hope you are correct.

By 2018 I want this as my STARTING 2ndry

CB#1 Milliner

CB#2 McDougle

SS Pryor (although as of now I think he's an a$$hole)

FS Revis

Rod Woodson a long time Pitt CB won a SB with Balt as a FS

Charles Woodson. A long time Oak CB won a SB with BG as a FS

Two all time great CBs who transitioned to safety at the end of their careers probably aren't the best comps for Dee Miliner though.

I read this one a little bit ago. Someone on here (JKwaz?) said he always felt Milliner was a good candidate for safety. I don't see how the Saban no backpedal thing matters at this point. He is three years removed from that and has been practicing and prepping as a cover corner all that time. I think they may use one of the corners there, but I am hoping that Milliner plays well enough to dump Cro next year and spend that money elsewhere.

I have always thought Milliner would make a better safety. Reminds me of Antrel Rolle. Has great range, can tackle and he can jump with anyone.

I have always thought Milliner would make a better safety. Reminds me of Antrel Rolle. Has great range, can tackle and he can jump with anyone.

Antrel Rolle also converted from CB to Safety.

Good call, forgot that one. He was avg at best as a CB, came into his own as a safety, why not Milliner?

Antrel Rolle also converted from CB to Safety.

Good call, forgot that one. He was avg at best as a CB, came into his own as a safety, why not Milliner?

Because cb is more valuable and in just about every one of these conversions it's done because they've lost the speed to cover WRs

Think we'll have to see if Milliner will be able to play CB again after his injury before start moving him to S

Agreed. I think that he is a viable CB when healthy and that is more valuable.  Part of people thinking "bama guys are suited to safety because of Saban's theory that you should never backpedal.  The players are used to playing off man, have experience with it and sometimes take time to adjust.  Just pointing out that there are plenty of college CBs that convert to quality NFL safety.  Good DBs in college will generally play CB, just like most highly rated offensive linemen are going to play LT at the college level.

Archived