Annual DirecTV Sunday Ticket Discount Thread

JohnnyLV

OK, we do this every year:

So NFL Sunday Ticket showed up on my bill today with a VERY large increase over last year around $20 a month. Sunday Ticket with Max is not $354.94 billed over 6 months.

They know it is high because they actually called me to offer a discount as well but missed the call. Called back and then transferred me to promotions who had called and all they would offer is $9 a payment off. They stuck pretty firm so I was wondering if I was seeing the first elements of AT@T creep in. Told the know and hung up.

Called in, told them I was going to cancel and got retention. Retention person held pretty strong to the $9 discount as best they could do.

Told them no, and to remove it from the account. Rep said let me see if there is anything else we can do.

After quite a while, the rep came back and said they could give me Ticket and Max for 50% off if I paid in 4 payments instead of 6. So total was $167.96. Not exactly half of the six month rate, actually a little less. So my guess is that from an accounting standpoint they charge like $325 for the package and stealthily charge interest when you make payments. Something to be aware of. 

Then out of the blue, rep also said they would add $12 off for 12 months, so in the end I did really well, effectively getting it for $71,96 over 8 months.

Good luck in your haggling, best way is to be calm and polite and never threaten. Was definitely more difficult this year. The fact I am a 15 year customer and on no contract probably opens up additional discounts.

I live in San Diego, so I get a few games a year at most on regular TV. Looks like 4 this year, so I need DTV. Unlike most, I really like DTV they have always treated me well, and I don't mind the dance that much as it saves me quite a bit each year not only for Sunday Ticket

Canceled myself since I'm getting fios at my new home (welcome to civilization where it's available instead of Sussex cty). I believe being close to NYC we can stream via durectv for a fee

Be that way. Sussex county doesnt want you anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Been completely out of the football loop until yesterday I saw DirecTV auto-renewed my Sunday Ticket when I tell them every freakin' year not to auto-renew anything on my account.

Their response was they sent out a memo in a monthly statement and no answer means go ahead and charge my card any rate, which of course nearly doubled since last year.

I thought the fed government banned such sleazy maneuvers decades ago. How can no answer mean they can assrape your credit card any amount without your response?

What if I lost my internet service, or my health, or got killed in a car wreck yesterday? That means those fukwads can run my card? No consent means "yes"? WTF?

I canceled and will reorder from scratch in a couple days.

Last year I got Sunday Ticket Max for 6 x $21.99, but they gave me $270 in rebates that resulted in DirecTV paying me $138.06 to have Sunday Ticket Max for free!

That's more like it.

Canceled myself since I'm getting fios at my new home (welcome to civilization where it's available instead of Sussex cty). I believe being close to NYC we can stream via durectv for a fee

I also have Fios. How do you stream Sunday Ticket for a fee? 

Was just visiting my sister in Sussex C. My brother-in-law was bitching about the horrible internet that's available to consumers there. 

Service Electric was a joke.   15/2 which always ran at 5/1 at best...  Problems on their end all the time, but they'd blame my inside wiring.  "You installed a straight run from the street to my router" .. crickets.

so you can get sunday ticket now without having direct tv but you have to stream it through xbox or playstation.  It is 64.99 a month for 4 months, which isnt bad especially if you factor in how much drinks and food cost when going to a bar.  my question is have any of you ever streamed it through your gaming device? I know this is the first time sunday ticket is available for non direct tv users, but i was wondering if it will be worth it or will it lag/have problems.  if anyone knows anything let me know it would be appreciated

I called and cancelled the ticket, the reason being that "Tom Brady lied to me" 

the best deal they did come up with was like 35 a month maybe?

Looking at the sched, the first week is always a free preview, week 2 and 4 are prime time and week 3 is local to me (Eagles). 

Maybe I'll talk to them after the bye. Maybe not. 

• 10 months later...

Bleh..just called. Got an email about 6 payments at 45 a clip. Told me on the phone they would check for better offers..that was the best they came up with. 

After a ton of digging for fine print on their website, they state 269 is the full for ticket with no max, however:

NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription will automatically continue each season at a special renewal rate unless customer calls to cancel prior to start of season.

So..what's the special rate??

I will be moving into an apartment in Downtown Chicago in a few weeks -- Have to go with Comcast or so they say. But DTV says there is a law saying they can not prevent me from having their services where I am moving to. This is a wait and see right now - tired of paying so much each month and I think I will just do the Sunday Ticket on my computer and hook up to my TV OR just go to the multitude of sports bars within walking distance to the new pad. Haven't had to do that for a long time and honestly not looking forward to it. Hate watching games with no sound or the  Bears game only thing streaming in. I will miss watching Jets post game though.

This year you are dealing with the new DTV, alias AT&T.  I don't think haggling is really in the AT&T culture.

I don't feel like calling them yet.  going to cancel if it shows on my bill

You are going to cancel your Sunday Ticket?????

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

You are going to cancel your Sunday Ticket?????

yup.

remember, I am a season ticket holder , so for about 5 or 6 Sundays (excludes home prime time night games and a couple of games when I have conflicts), I don't use it anyway.  If I cancel it now, which is a good idea because they seem not to be offering the colossal discounts they used to), I will have more leverage if and when I re-order it.  

yup.

remember, I am a season ticket holder , so for about 5 or 6 Sundays (excludes home prime time night games and a couple of games when I have conflicts), I don't use it anyway.  If I cancel it now, which is a good idea because they seem not to be offering the colossal discounts they used to), I will have more leverage if and when I re-order it.  

OK, I forgot you were a STH.

Plus you get all the away games on local stations.

I'd be lost without the Sunday Ticket.

I was in Hawaii for most of last season, so I canceled my NFL Sunday ticket. I guess that means that even though I have been a DirecTV customer for 14 years, I would get treated like a NEW customer when I call in to order this season? We soon shall see.....

2 hours ago, slowmoe57 said:

I will be moving into an apartment in Downtown Chicago in a few weeks -- Have to go with Comcast or so they say. But DTV says there is a law saying they can not prevent me from having their services where I am moving to. This is a wait and see right now - tired of paying so much each month and I think I will just do the Sunday Ticket on my computer and hook up to my TV OR just go to the multitude of sports bars within walking distance to the new pad. Haven't had to do that for a long time and honestly not looking forward to it. Hate watching games with no sound or the  Bears game only thing streaming in. I will miss watching Jets post game though.

I know this is generally the case everywhere but Comcast is really something awful in the Chi. Customer service aside you're going to be dealing with regular outtages. If you can go with RCN or AT&T if possible. Our best experiences have been with RCN hands down.

If you are set on doing the bars and anywhere near the red line, there is a Jets bar in Wrigleyville called Country Club that's quite a rockin' good time on Sundays.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I know this is generally the case everywhere but Comcast is really something awful in the Chi. Customer service aside you're going to be dealing with regular outtages. If you can go with RCN or AT&T if possible. Our best experiences have been with RCN hands down.

If you are set on doing the bars and anywhere near the red line, there is a Jets bar in Wrigleyville called Country Club that's quite a rockin' good time on Sundays.

Is that the Rebel bar just renamed ??? been there and will make a few visits this seaon.

I cut the cord a couple of years ago, dumping a $165.00/month DirecTV bill in the process.  I got the international NFL Sunday Ticket package for less money than DTV charges.  The only caveat is I have to use my computer and VPN.  If you install a VPN directly on your router you can watch Sunday Ticket through a streaming device like Roku, X Box, Chromecast, etc.  Works like a charm for me and not a big deal to set up on game day.  Feels good to stick it to the man at my advanced age.  I hate DirecTV with a passion.

Archived