New York Getting Superbowl in 2010

YJF

I just heard on the radio that The NFL will announce next week at the owners meetings that The Superbowl will be tentatively scheduled to be at "The proposed Jets stadium" in 2010.

I still don't think that the stadium is going to get done. This won't help it much. It's a nice tease though.

N.F.L. Expected to Pick West Side Stadium for 2010 Super Bowl

By Dave Anderson

New York Times

NEW YORK, March 15 - The proposed Jets stadium on the West Side of New York City is expected to be conditionally named the site of the 2010 Super Bowl by the National Football League next week at its annual meeting in Maui, Hawaii.

"For our club owners, the idea of a Super Bowl in a domed stadium in New York is a no-brainer," said Joe Browne, the N.F.L.'s vice president of communications and public affairs.

The 2010 Super Bowl vote, which would require approval by at least 24 of the 32 club owners, would be contingent on the construction by the 2009 season of the proposed $1.7 billion retractable-roof stadium that remains embroiled in political and financial controversy, notably the bids to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for the developmental rights for the planned stadium site over the state-owned railroad yards between 30th and 33rd Streets from 11th Avenue to 12th Avenue.

Bids by the Jets, Cablevision, Transgas and possibly a fourth developer must be filed with the M.T.A. by Monday, with a recommendation by Peter S. Kalikow, the authority's chairman, to the M.T.A. board by March 31. The Jets' original bid of $100 million has been exceeded by both Cablevision's $600 million and Transgas's $700 million, although those two bids contain conditions that make it difficult to compare directly to the Jets' bid or to what a restructured Jets bid might be.

The N.F.L., which has awarded the next three Super Bowls to Detroit, Miami and the new Arizona Cardinals stadium near Phoenix, will vote in May on the four candidates for the 2009 Super Bowl: Miami, Tampa, Houston and Atlanta.

A superbowl would generate so much money for New York.

It would be mean hundreds of million dollars coming into the state.

If The Jets can get a few other big events to guarantee their involvement with The Jets proposed stadium. They can create more support.

If The NCAA tournament said, we are coming to N.Y. in 2014 if The Jets have the stadium along with The Superbowl etc

That could give them some steam.

Unfortunately, I don't think that The Jets are going to get the stadium on the west side. There are too many obstacles to overcome.

I just heard on the radio that The NFL will announce next week at the owners meetings that The Superbowl will be tentatively scheduled to be at "The proposed Jets stadium" in 2010.

I still don't think that the stadium is going to get done. This won't help it much. It's a nice tease though.

How does this not help. Either the Giants have to build a new stadium or we do. Thus, shouldnt it be considered a 50/50 shot at the Jets being the ones to get a new stadium?

You mean to tell me that the teachers, firefighters, cops, etc. could benefit from the money being brought in by the stadium? Plus the thousands of jobs created? Wow, what a concept!

Just build it!

Money talks, Bulsh*t walks, baby. No WAY this stadium gets stopped now. Bloomberg, Pataki, Woody AND Tagliabue all want it, and the dearly-demoted Charles Dolan doesn't. Hmmm, let's put them on the scale and see what happens. :lol:

THANK YOU.

I just don't understand why a NY Super Bowl has no bearing on whether a new stadium is built. Excuse me, but in order for a Super Bowl to take place in NYC, doesnt a stadium need to be built, or do they plan on playing it in Shea Stadium? Why in God's name would a NYC Super Bowl be played in the Meadowlands? The answer is it would not be. One way or another, a new stadium will be built for one of our local NFL teams, and it is clear to me that the JETS are the more likely candidates than the GIANTS.

I just don't understand why a NY Super Bowl has no bearing on whether a new stadium is built.

i don't think it has 'no bearing', i just think that it has no additional effect - it has been presumed all along that nyc would get into the super bowl rotation if the west side stadium gets built as proposed. we should see about 3 super bowls there before they're done with it and on to the next stadium, i would guess.

If The Jets can get a few other big events to guarantee their involvement with The Jets proposed stadium. They can create more support.

If The NCAA tournament said, we are coming to N.Y. in 2014 if The Jets have the stadium along with The Superbowl etc

That could give them some steam.

Unfortunately, I don't think that The Jets are going to get the stadium on the west side. There are too many obstacles to overcome.

you're making it sound like gravy - it's an absolute necessity that both of these things happen, and more.

all sides admit that a big part of making the finances work out is having, in addition to 10-12 jets games a year, 15+ javits events that utilize the stadium and 2 sports 'mega events' (where it's not just a gameday thing, like super bowl, final four, etc.) every year. one prob i have is that for the life of me i can't imagine where they find all of these superbowl/final four -sized events every year. you can't do nascar, i don't think, b/c if the stadium isn't even big enough for the olympics, i doubt a racetrack would fit...

you're making it sound like gravy - it's an absolute necessity that both of these things happen, and more.

all sides admit that a big part of making the finances work out is having, in addition to 10-12 jets games a year, 15+ javits events that utilize the stadium and 2 sports 'mega events' (where it's not just a gameday thing, like super bowl, final four, etc.) every year. one prob i have is that for the life of me i can't imagine where they find all of these superbowl/final four -sized events every year. you can't do nascar, i don't think, b/c if the stadium isn't even big enough for the olympics, i doubt a racetrack would fit...

MetroStars Could Play in NYC Stadium

Mon Mar 14, 5:14 PM ET

Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - The MetroStars (news) might move to a proposed stadium on the West Side of Manhattan if they can't complete a deal for a facility of their own in New Jersey, Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber said Monday.

Garber said the league has discussed the possibility with officials from New York City and the New York Jets (news), who would be the primary tenant in the new building, a centerpiece of the city's bid to host the 2012 Olympics.

The MetroStars have played in Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., since their inception in 1996, and have been trying to finalize a deal on a 20,000-seat arena in nearby Harrison for nearly four years with public financing.

The latest delay has been the state of New Jersey's requirement that team owner Anschutz Entertainment Group agree to pay half of the remaining cost of the stadium should MLS fold before the bonds to finance the stadium are paid.

"If we can't find a solution to their stadium issues, that team will not be able to exist in this market," Garber said. "(Giants Stadium) has nothing but issues."

The MetroStars attracted 17,195 fans a game last season, second to the Los Angeles Galaxy (news), another AEG-owned team that opened its Home Depot Center in 2003 and drew an average of 23,809 people last year.

Garber said the MetroStars and the state are close again, but the issue needs to be resolved.

"This is not about leverage," said Garber, who called it "inconceivable" to not have a team in the New York area. "But if we don't find a solution, we also been bold in making decisions that we need to make to ensure the ongoing viability of the league."

The Columbus Crew (news), owned by Lamar Hunt, were the first to open their own stadium in 1999, followed by the Galaxy, both privately financed. FC Dallas plans to open its partially publicly financed stadium later this year and the Chicago Fire (news) broke ground for a publicly paid for facility in November.

MetroStars Could Play in NYC Stadium

honestly, tabor, i don't see how that helps. i can't imagine the metrostars is a good use of that resource, how much money can they bring in? i would think it would hinder the javits from bringing their events into the stadium, which have to be far more profitable. the only sports situation that i've heard that makes any sense to me is the giants - that way you just block off football season, and javits can sell the rest of the year. winter in nyc can't be that desireable for conventions, i wouldn't think.

honestly, tabor, i don't see how that helps. i can't imagine the metrostars is a good use of that resource, how much money can they bring in? i would think it would hinder the javits from bringing their events into the stadium, which have to be far more profitable. the only sports situation that i've heard that makes any sense to me is the giants - that way you just block off football season, and javits can sell the rest of the year. winter in nyc can't be that desireable for conventions, i wouldn't think.

Don't forget about concerts. The new stadium could always book several big tickets every year, especially during the winter.

Don't forget about concerts. The new stadium could always book several big tickets every year, especially during the winter.

concerts are unique in that you can pick and choose where to book them, and use the 1 or 2 nights in a week that many javits events won't want (either mon/tue or sat/sun)... problem is, they're not 'new income', you're just pulling money out of one nyc venue (msg, one that pays all but property taxes) and putting it into another (non-tax-paying altogether). sounds like a net loss to me.

I'm just talking about the big ticket concerts...like Springsteen, U2, Dave Matthews, etc. who play in stadiums. The Garden's max is what, 30,000? The new stadium is 70,000+.
i think they all played in the garden last time, and i know u2 is slated to play there this time...

Archived