Pro-Brady Arguments are Plainly Silly and His Prospects in Federal Court are Weak

Bruce Harper

Then why not go to any length to prove his guilt?  Leave no stone unturned?  Seems pretty easy to call a bunch of folks.

And I'm sorry that "Archduke Goodell" and his staff would be "inconvenienced".  But if you truly want to get to the bottom of the issue, dot every "i" and cross every "t".

And I'm not the only one who sees the flaws in Goodell's moronic, half-assed handling of this mess:

"It was a fun story for a few minutes and there was some mild hoopla surrounding the idea of a frenzied Brady destroying his cellphone. Problem is, even if he had … so what? This isn’t The Wire, and snapping a cellphone in half and tossing it in the gutter wouldn’t be enough to erase Brady’s history anyway. The digital trail our phones leave behind long outlive the physical device itself, and the league could have potentially tracked down the information in a number of ways—which is why the whole story was utterly ridiculous. Regardless, here is exactly why it wouldn’t matter if Tom Brady smashed his cellphone."

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/even-tom-brady-smash-phone-itd-make-zero-sense/

All Goodell had to do (could still do), and Wells for that matter, was to contact each of those individuals and request access to those texts, etc.  

Franky, I'm shocked Wells didn't do this.  He had as much time as needed to complete the investigation.  You're telling me he wouldn't have at least interviewed the people on Brady's phone printout?  Even if they refused, that would have built a stronger case for Brady's guilt.  

Maybe Wells' report is more flawed than we think.  If I'm paying Wells, first thing I'm going to ask is why he didn't check up on those records and people.  And what's this "generally aware" bullish*t?  Did you find him guilty or not?

The Pats would not make them available after he had that information,  He can't just call them.  They have counsel.  

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pats would not make them available after he had that information,  He can't just call them.  They have counsel.  

BH, you know I respect you and your opinion.  Again I'd love to see Brady fry.  But don't be surprised if Goodell's incompetence lets him off the hook.

Thanks for humoring me and my collusionist bent.  lol  I'll relent.

Then why not go to any length to prove his guilt?

If there is nothing but exculpatory evidence in his text message why not share them with investigators?

I don't know about you, but if someone is accusing me of something I didn't do, I am going to look for any piece of evidence I can use to prove my innocence. If someone asks to see my text messages and I know for a fact that there is nothing in there that would convict me, I am handing my phone over without hesitation.

Everything Brady has done has been the act of a guilty person.

This is not a court of law. Goodell does not have subpoena power nor does the NFL have to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt to discipline a player.  

And I reiterate, Brady is the one who made this a big deal by proclaiming his innocence, attempting to minimize it in a spectacularly stupid and offensive manner (comparing it to ISIS) and then refusing to cooperate when he was allegedly determined to exonerate himself. 

I hate Roger Goodell as much as the next guy, but he actually got this one right. 

That's exactly why Brady is a ******* idiot who deserves whatever punishment he gets. He could have made this whole thing go away in 30 seconds had he answered the first question he got about this right:

"All quarterbacks prepare the footballs they way they like them and I am no different. Peyton and I lobbied the rules committee a few years ago to get the league to allow us to do it. I thought the guys were following the correct procedure in preparing the footballs for me. If they did it wrong I must have given them bad instructions so ultimately it's on me. We will address this by making sure we conform to the letter of the rule moving forward."

There wouldn't have even been a follow up question and the story would have been over. 

Instead, this idiot acted like a little kid who got caught with his face covered in blueberry pie. 

All I can say is thank GOD Brady didn't have you as an advisor!!

Cause if he did we wouldn't be having all the fun we are NOW!

Woooweeee :wild:

I don't believe you're correct.  Why would SBNation report this as fact?

"As for what was on the phone, Brady says that they turned over "detailed pages" of phone records and all of the emails requested by the Wells investigators. They also went to the phone company to retrieve the relevant messages from his broken phone. The NFL acknowledged that last part in the 20-page statement explaining Goodell's decision, buried in a footnote on page 12."

WSLETTER

Get all kinds of NFL stories, rumors, game coverage, and inane comments from the NFL media in your inbox every day.

Email: 

The league declined to work with the phone company to retrieve the details of Brady's cell phone records because it was "simply not practical." That line and Goodell's effort to make it sound like Brady's phone was deliberately destroyed prior to meeting with investigators doesn't instill much confidence in the the NFL's ad hoc approach to disciplining players.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/29/9066253/tom-brady-cell-phone-deflategate-suspension-nfl-roger-goodell

It isn't practical to spend money trying to identify the senders and recipients for 10,000 texts only to ask them to please turn over the texts. There is nothing the NFL can do when those people decline the NFL's invitation.

The NFL asked for the information from Brady's phone specific to the investigation at the time of the investigation. Brady said no. That Brady destroyed the phone and then offered the NFL go look through a needle in a haystack does not put the onus on the NFL to comply with Brady's nonsensical proposal.

I was kidding.  That is the main way that you can raise evidence that wasn't in the underlying action.  It obviously isn't the case here.  The guy intentionally tried to destroy evidence, he couldn't claim that it was newly discovered.  Well.. he could, but I don't see how anyone would buy it. 

Why other folks are out here trying to defend Brady here is beyond me?

Brady's argument concerning his destruction of the phone wouldn't work if he was a McDonalds worker and it shouldn't hold any weight in the NFL.

For example let say Bob is accused of taking inappropriate pics with accompanying texts and then showing them to co-workers at McDonalds. Jane a fellow employee complains about their graphic nature.

Manager Tim asks Bob to see his phone. 

Bob says he wont let Tim see the phone but will give him transcripts of the texts.

When told by Tim that would be insufficient Bob responds "Anyway I destroyed the phone the day Jane went in to you to complain. I always get a new phone since my brother works at Sprint; so there is nothing for you to see."

Well does anyone think that good old Bob's answer would be enough to save him?  Of course not!!!

Bob would be looking for work.

Brady has shown himself to be a complete moron and yes his idiocy impacts his legacy.

I respect your opinion.  How is it strong arming?  They are offering Goodell the requisite data.  He just finds it inconvenient to go get it.

All Goodell needs to do is check the phone data, then show us the emails, calls, and/or texts with Brady directing the bellboys to deflate the balls.  Case would be closed with Brady getting suspended. No?

He is strongarming by pulling the I'm Tom Brady how dare you, I'm not cooperating card.

He offered nothing.  His lawyer said they would agree to allowing his lawyer show what he wanted to show.  Then they said all they agreed to was that they would hand over the list of numbers he texted.  So if someone shows you the texts they want to show how does Goodell know what wasnt shown.  No one would agree that this completes any investigation.  Theyre playing loose with wording, playing the lawyer game. 

If there is nothing but exculpatory evidence in his text message why not share them with investigators?

I don't know about you, but if someone is accusing me of something I didn't do, I am going to look for any piece of evidence I can use to prove my innocence. If someone asks to see my text messages and I know for a fact that there is nothing in there that would convict me, I am handing my phone over without hesitation.

Everything Brady has done has been the act of a guilty person.

This is not a court of law. Goodell does not have subpoena power nor does the NFL have to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt to discipline a player.  

And I reiterate, Brady is the one who made this a big deal by proclaiming his innocence, attempting to minimize it in a spectacularly stupid and offensive manner (comparing it to ISIS) and then refusing to cooperate when he was allegedly determined to exonerate himself. 

I hate Roger Goodell as much as the next guy, but he actually got this one right. 

I am almost willing to say I no longer hate him, based on the details of that 20-page ruling. Of course I do want to see how he behaves in the future, especially with regard to his (former?) old buddy Kraft. If this is him turning over a new leaf, I would forgive his past bone-headedness.

Why other folks are out here trying to defend Brady here is beyond me?

Brady's argument concerning his destruction of the phone wouldn't work if he was a McDonalds worker and it shouldn't hold any weight in the NFL.

For example let say Bob is accused of taking inappropriate pics with accompanying texts and then showing them to co-workers at McDonalds. Jane a fellow employee complains about their graphic nature.

Manager Tim asks Bob to see his phone. 

Bob says he wont let Tim see the phone but will give him transcripts of the texts.

When told by Tim that would be insufficient Bob responds "Anyway I destroyed the phone the day Jane went in to you to complain. I always get a new phone since my brother works at Sprint; so there is nothing for you to see."

Well does anyone think that good old Bob's answer would be enough to save him?  Of course not!!!

Bob would be looking for work.

Brady has shown himself to be a complete moron and yes his idiocy impacts his legacy.

This comparison is not even an apples to orange comparison.  It is an apple to a bowl of dog sh*t comparison.

Maybe it is my yearssssssssssssss of mandatory DOD sensitivity training, but the manager would not need to see a picture.  Whether it is a picture or even a joke, the manager could hold Bob accountable regardless of proof.

Here is something that everyone is glossing over.

This is Roger's attempt to save face.  He looks like an idiot.  He has dropped 5 million in a flawed report.  If I could edit Allen Iverson's practice video to say PSI I would.

Wells report said in reagrds to Brady keeping his phone, “I don’t think it undermines in any way the conclusions of the report”.  Ted Wells said he did not need it to prove his report.  Wells said Brady was totally cooperative in his testimony even without his phone being provided.

Roger did not discover Brady breaking his phone.  I believe it was Yee that reported it to Roger before the June meeting.  If Brady was trying to hide it why admit to its destruction?   That does not make sense.  Brady even offered to provide every number to Goodell.  Of course the the league went that is too hard to check.  Why?  It might prove you completely wrong instead of leaving this cloud of doubt over your ineptness. 

This shows Roger has no faith in Ted's report.  If it could pass a scrutiny test, then Roger would not care as Ted said he had all the relevant text information. 

So Roger cried "he broke it" and all the sycophants bought it hook line and sinker.

He is strongarming by pulling the I'm Tom Brady how dare you, I'm not cooperating card.

He offered nothing.  His lawyer said they would agree to allowing his lawyer show what he wanted to show.  Then they said all they agreed to was that they would hand over the list of numbers he texted.  So if someone shows you the texts they want to show how does Goodell know what wasnt shown.  No one would agree that this completes any investigation.  Theyre playing loose with wording, playing the lawyer game. 

Look above.

This comparison is not even an apples to orange comparison. It is an apple to a bowl of dog sh*t comparison.

Maybe it is my yearssssssssssssss of mandatory DOD sensitivity training, but the manager would not need to see a picture. Whether it is a picture or even a joke, the manager could hold Bob accountable regardless of proof.

This is Roger's attempt to save face. He looks like an idiot. He has dropped 5 million in a flawed report. If I could edit Allen Iverson's practice video to say PSI I would.

Wells report said in reagrds to Brady keeping his phone, “I don’t think it undermines in any way the conclusions of the report”. Ted Wells said he did not need it to prove his report. Wells said Brady was totally cooperative in his testimony even without his phone being provided.

Roger did not discover Brady breaking his phone. I believe it was Yee that reported it to Roger before the June meeting. If Brady was trying to hide it why admit to its destruction? That does not make sense. Brady even offered to provide every number to Goodell. Of course the the league went that is too hard to check. Why? It might prove you completely wrong instead of leaving this cloud of doubt over your ineptness.

This shows Roger has no faith in Ted's report. If it could pass a scrutiny test, then Roger would not care as Ted said he had all the relevant text information.

So Roger cried "he broke it" and all the sycophants bought it hook line and sinker.

Look above.

I respectfully disagree and we will all see what the courts now say eh.

Same group of Pats fans who were happy when this same commissioner burned Pat evidence of wrong doing are now complaining that he sees something wrong in Brady destroying potential evidence.

You may believe Brady's fantasy tale about not wanting to turn over exculpatory materials because he was concerned about fellow players but I don't chose to.

Utter madness. Go and drink that whine somewhere else cause I ain't buying it for ya.

Good day to you sir.

Only one more shoe left to drop now.

The one where it is clear that Bill Belichick and the coaching staff were involved.

Please don't think that between 31 billionaires that not one of them has already paid a hacker to find out what is in those hidden phone records.

The NFL already knows what Brady said and to whom.  They just cannot admit at this time to being in possession of that information.  Now if the judge authorizes discovery on this then the fun is really going to start.  Orgiinally it might only have been a one year suspension for Bill Belichick but now I think it is clear that the stakes have been raised significantly from that starting point.

Perhaps Kraft will be forced to sell the team.  I think it is pretty clear that the league is sick and tired of this criminal enterprise and I think that much has now become very evident. 

Perhaps Tom should have simply agreed to take one for Bill and the team here.

This comparison is not even an apples to orange comparison.  It is an apple to a bowl of dog sh*t comparison.

Maybe it is my yearssssssssssssss of mandatory DOD sensitivity training, but the manager would not need to see a picture.  Whether it is a picture or even a joke, the manager could hold Bob accountable regardless of proof.

This is Roger's attempt to save face.  He looks like an idiot.  He has dropped 5 million in a flawed report.  If I could edit Allen Iverson's practice video to say PSI I would.

Wells report said in reagrds to Brady keeping his phone, “I don’t think it undermines in any way the conclusions of the report”.  Ted Wells said he did not need it to prove his report.  Wells said Brady was totally cooperative in his testimony even without his phone being provided.

Roger did not discover Brady breaking his phone.  I believe it was Yee that reported it to Roger before the June meeting.  If Brady was trying to hide it why admit to its destruction?   That does not make sense.  Brady even offered to provide every number to Goodell.  Of course the the league went that is too hard to check.  Why?  It might prove you completely wrong instead of leaving this cloud of doubt over your ineptness. 

This shows Roger has no faith in Ted's report.  If it could pass a scrutiny test, then Roger would not care as Ted said he had all the relevant text information. 

Look above.

It is amazing to me that anyone would stick to this line of BS to defend a two time cheater.  None of your arguments make sense on any level to anyone but a total homer.  Stop already and admit the guy did it and his only chance is that he gets off on some kind of technicality.

Goodell is trying to save face?  Are you nuts?  No one thinks so, just the Patriot apologist fanbase. 

The one where it is clear that Bill Belichick and the coaching staff were involved.

Please don't think that between 31 billionaires that not one of them has already paid a hacker to find out what is in those hidden phone records.

The NFL already knows what Brady said and to whom.  They just cannot admit at this time to being in possession of that information.  Now if the judge authorizes discovery on this then the fun is really going to start.  Orgiinally it might only have been a one year suspension for Bill Belichick but now I think it is clear that the stakes have been raised significantly from that starting point.

Perhaps Kraft will be forced to sell the team.  I think it is pretty clear that the league is sick and tired of this criminal enterprise and I think that much has now become very evident. 

Would love to see this happen but more likely the issues will be narrow:  did the NFL follow the procedures set out in the CBA and was the decision so unfair as to be manifestly unreasonable.  These issues don't require the record to be expanded (although I would love to see it).

And if Goodell knows anything about Kraft or Belicheat having any knowledge, it will not come out through him as that would be very bad for the league.  My guess is that Goodell may not even care too much about what happens here as he accomplished his goal of pleasing his constituency by standing up to Brady and the Pats.  If he loses, he can throw up his hands and say, "well, I tried guys." 

Would love to see this happen but more likely the issues will be narrow:  did the NFL follow the procedures set out in the CBA and was the decision so unfair as to be manifestly unreasonable.  These issues don't require the record to be expanded (although I would love to see it).

And if Goodell knows anything about Kraft or Belicheat having any knowledge, it will not come out through him as that would be very bad for the league.  My guess is that Goodell may not even care too much about what happens here as he accomplished his goal of pleasing his constituency by standing up to Brady and the Pats.  If he loses, he can throw up his hands and say, "well, I tried guys." 

I think you may be underestimating the degree to which the "full 32" are p1ssed at the Patriots and want to see them punished.

I think you may be underestimating the degree to which the "full 32" are p1ssed at the Patriots and want to see them punished.

Don't disagree but the Judge will decide what the relevant issues are for the federal court action.  Doesn't matter what Jerry Jones and the other owners want.

I respectfully disagree and we will all see what the courts now say eh.

Same group of Pats fans who were happy when this same commissioner burned Pat evidence of wrong doing are now complaining that he sees something wrong in Brady destroying potential evidence.

You may believe Brady's fantasy tale about not wanting to turn over exculpatory materials because he was concerned about fellow players but I don't chose to.

Utter madness. Go and drink that whine somewhere else cause I ain't buying it for ya.

Good day to you sir.

I find it hilarious Goodell is so clueless.

If it goes to court, I hope they ask that of him.  "So , Roger why did you destroy the tapes?"

And yet Roger used the broken phone as justification of keeping the punishment at 4.  If he knew everything, he would have said integrity of the game.

It is amazing to me that anyone would stick to this line of BS to defend a two time cheater.  None of your arguments make sense on any level to anyone but a total homer.  Stop already and admit the guy did it and his only chance is that he gets off on some kind of technicality.

Goodell is trying to save face?  Are you nuts?  No one thinks so, just the Patriot apologist fanbase. 

None?  I see no counter argument from you.

If it goes to court, I hope they ask that of him. "So , Roger why did you destroy the tapes?"

And yet Roger used the broken phone as justification of keeping the punishment at 4. If he knew everything, he would have said integrity of the game.

Do you know how silly you sound making one stupid point after another trying to defend a guy who clearly cheated? Even Shilling said Brady cheated during the Mets game

None? I see no counter argument from you.

Counter argument? Goodall gave Brady a chance to clear his name. He didn't or couldn't. goodell is done with his sh*t unless goodell decides he's tired of the pats players, fans and POS owner whining like b1tches for their cheating QB

If it goes to court, I hope they ask that of him. "So , Roger why did you destroy the tapes?"

And yet Roger used the broken phone as justification of keeping the punishment at 4. If he knew everything, he would have said integrity of the game.

None? I see no counter argument from you.

Your just realizing now Goodell has no idea what he's doing?

Your just realizing now Goodell has no idea what he's doing?

That may be true. But his 20-page appeal ruling was incredibly well written, and makes an airtight case for why the original penalty should be upheld. I wonder if someone else actually wrote it?

That may be true. But his 20-page appeal ruling was incredibly well written, and makes an airtight case for why the original penalty should be upheld. I wonder if someone else actually wrote it?

I assume that's sarcasm?  Jeff Pash no doubt wrote it with input from outside counsel.   Goodell likely provided a few conceptual comments and signed his name.  

I assume that's sarcasm?  Jeff Pash no doubt wrote it with input from outside counsel.   Goodell likely provided a few conceptual comments and signed his name.  

I can just imagine that conversation:

Jeff Pash: Roger, what's your decision in Tom Brady's appeal?

Roger Goodell: ME WANT SUSPEND PRETTY MAN FOUR GAMES!

Jeff Pash: Ok, I'll make sure we're judgement proof, does that work for you?

Roger Goodell: ME NO USE WORDS GOOD!

I'm afraid not. I realize the guy isn't a lawyer, and certainly would have had help. And then there is the dissonance between his public persona and behavior, as compared with the great acumen reflected in that document. But other than that, I would have no way to know who actually penned the majority of it.

I'm afraid not. I realize the guy isn't a lawyer, and certainly would have had help. And then there is the dissonance between his public persona and behavior, as compared with the great acumen reflected in that document. But other than that, I would have no way to know who actually penned the majority of it.

Goodell didn't get to where he is today by having a legal (or even an analytical) mind. That's why Pash is there.

Goodell didn't get to where he is today by having a legal (or even an analytical) mind. That's why Pash is there.

Judging from his public behavior, you really have to wonder how he got to where he is at all. I was thinking the 20-page ruling might have revealed there is something more to him than can be seen publicly. As someone in a tech field, I can say I have known several folks who seem to be complete idiots based on their conversations, but then have been impressive in their writing. And these are folks who don't  have subordinates who are doing the writing for them.

But you're probably right about Goodell.

The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.

It is unreliable because there is plenty of evidence brought forth by the equipment guys to the contrary. It's Brady's sense of entitlement and the Patriots Way of denial that has led him down this road.  

You think Goodell has a ghost writer? I suppose you believe in the Easter bunny too and Tony Sopranoi got shot in the head walking into Holstons.

It is unreliable because there is plenty of evidence brought forth by the equipment guys to the contrary. It's Brady's sense of entitlement and the Patriots Way of denial that has led him down this road.  

There are far too many signs pointing to Brady's guilt IMO.  If I was innocent,  I would have turned my phone over to the investigators.  If Brady was so concerned about personal information,   his lawyer could have drawn up a gag order.  Then Brady destroys his phone.  Give me a break with that move.  

If I was innocent AND HAD A BRAIN THE SIZE OF A CHEERIO,  I would have turned my phone over to the investigators.  If Brady was so concerned about personal information,   his lawyer could have drawn up a gag order.   

I think you must have deleted the all-caps from your original post by mistake.  Whatever you think of Brady's innocence or guilt, turning over his cellphone wholesale to the league was never a realistic or intelligent option.  

Archived