Pro-Brady Arguments are Plainly Silly and His Prospects in Federal Court are Weak

Bruce Harper

but I was told how NE didn't fumble b/c of the air in the balls, that has clearly been disproved.  Does NE bend rules?  100% no doubt about it but so does every other team try.  I HATE NE w/ a passion but they have earned their dynasty.  it's time to stop whining about them and start beating them.

*salute you every time you post*

much respect to you as a jet fan, football fan and a poster.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whooo...whooo I got one!?

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/05/nfl-new-england-patriots-deflategate-fumbles-tom-brady-bill-belichick

excerpt from the article.

Here's a barplot of each offense's 2015 fumble rate. To match a previous author's chart, I'll use plays per fumble, which means that teams fumbling less often will have higher numbers. (Using the NFL's website, I grabbed the relevant offensive team information—fumbles and number of plays—and subtracted non-offensive team fumbles to ensure that fumbles using the ‘K’ balls weren't counted.)

fumbles-chart-2015-season.jpg

That's the Patriots on the far right, leading the league while fumbling only once every 105 plays.

105 plays.

So you posted and quoted the exact same article I was responding to?  Thanks!  

Also the Patriots offense now sucks. 

They should add that in to the bottom with an * before it.

More evidence of cheating.  They intentionally injured their top 2 WR's and top 2 RB's so they would be forced to run a turtle offense and artificially improve their fumble rates.  

Do some people really believe the Pats stopped cheating? LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Spygate occurred at a time when Belichick likely believed that the most probable penalty was a chuckle from Goodell and a pat on the back.  Now, based on DeflateGate, the MINIMUM penalty the team would face for any kind of rules violation is two first-round picks.   And if they were caught doing anything really salacious like salary cap violations, bugging opposing locker rooms, videotaping opposing walk-throughs, etc., you can bet that the fine would be something like 3-5 1st round picks, maybe a couple second round picks for good measure, millions of dollars in fines and at least a 1-year suspension for Belichick.

Belichick is nothing if not a strict cost-benefit analyst.  If he is still cheating, it would have to be something that he felt made at least 4 wins per season difference and carried virtually no chance of ever being detected for him to run the risk of what would now be an absolutely staggering penalty.  You are certainly free to speculate on what that something might be.  

Just to muddy the water; air pressure is mostly an issue in the cold weather.  This was the warmest December in NE history.  So either:

a. We won't know until the cold comes into play (playoffs or next year)

b. BB has increased his cheating as he now controls the weather to prevent fumbling.

Just to muddy the water; air pressure is mostly an issue in the cold weather.  This was the warmest December in NE history.  So either:

a. We won't know until the cold comes into play (playoffs or next year)

b. BB has increased his cheating as he now controls the weather to prevent fumbling.

It's most likely B:lol:

Lets not forget that the whole reason to deflate the balls is to have better grip in colder weather. 

In this unusually warm NFL season and the way their schedule fell, they've only played two games below 40 degrees- they lost one, and in the other they had a fumble, an int, and two drops. 

Also note from this independent stats website (as opposed to the biased pats website posted earlier), that the drop rates of the main receiving options on the patriots except for Gronk have jumped significantly in 2015 as opposed to their drop rates for the prior 2 years- that includes Edelman, Amendola, Lafell, Dobson, and White (granted, White only had 5 catches last year so that one's kind of a moot point). Shane Vereen's drop rate jumped by 1.2% as well in 2015 as opposed to his lower rate last year with the pats. 

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

Lets not forget that the whole reason to deflate the balls is to have better grip in colder weather. 

In this unusually warm NFL season and the way their schedule fell, they've only played two games below 40 degrees- they lost one, and in the other they had a fumble, an int, and two drops. 

Also note from this independent stats website (as opposed to the biased pats website posted earlier), that the drop rates of the main receiving options on the patriots except for Gronk have jumped significantly in 2015 as opposed to their drop rates for the prior 2 years- that includes Edelman, Amendola, Lafell, Dobson, and White (granted, White only had 5 catches last year so that one's kind of a moot point). Shane Vereen's drop rate jumped by 1.2% as well in 2015 as opposed to his lower rate last year with the pats. 

Ridley didn't have any fumbles for us, he had fumbling issues w/ Pats.  just give it up already.

Ok. That's one point for your patriots. And how about the 5 WRs and 1 RB I listed? 

I don't give up when I'm winning 6-1, bucko. 

you are not winning, you have never won when trying to debate me but I applaud the effort. I appreciate those that don't give up even though they never win.

Your caring makes no difference at all as to whether you suck as a poster.  [You just suck.  

ha ha oh please come back and say it again....please enter a thread and say nothing about the subject matter and hit me with your opinion..because somebody must of told you it needs to be said...and bring the other clown back too...it's always interesting...

giphy.gif

Wait, so does the unusually warm weather help or not?  Or is the theory now that the warm weather helps them to hold onto the ball only once they've caught it but doesn't help them catch it in the first place?  

ha ha oh please come back and say it again....please enter a thread and say nothing about the subject matter and hit me with your opinion..because somebody must of told you. I g*ve a sh*t about your thoughts about anything...and bring the other clown back to...it's always interesting...

If you didn't care, you wouldn't bother to reply.  Every reply you make proves it.  You are both pathetic AND insincere.  

And...  you suck as a poster.

Wait, so does the unusually warm weather help or not?  Or is the theory now that the warm weather helps them to hold onto the ball only once they've caught it but doesn't help them catch it in the first place?  

You know what the theory is: deflating balls helps you grip the ball in colder weather. When has that not been the theory?

you are not winning, you have never won when trying to debate me but I applaud the effort. I appreciate those that don't give up even though they never win.

Yes yes, you win every debate. Happy?

Now that we have satisfied your delusional ego, let's get to an actual discussion, yes?

You brought up Ridley. I brought up 6 other players. Why do you have nothing to say for the ones I brought up?

And since you want to bring up our prior debates: Why is Tom Brady 2-4 in his last 6? Why have Tom Brady's numbers suffered significantly over the last 8? According to you, it's not because the team around him is injured, right? Because you told me over and over again for 4 pages in a thread about who the league MVP should be, that Brady deserves it because, and I quote, "It doesn't matter who Tom Brady plays with."

Explain that for me too while you come up with an explanation for the 6 guys I mentioned and supplied independent stats for. 

You know what the theory is: deflating balls helps you grip the ball in colder weather. When has that not been the theory?

I don't think that was ever exactly the theory, because there is a need to explain away the Patriots 6 fumbles against Denver in 2013.   So I think you left out the "except when it's WICKED cold" caveat.

In any event, what do dropped passes have to do with all this?  

Yes yes, you win every debate. Happy?

Now that we have satisfied your delusional ego, let's get to an actual discussion, yes?

You brought up Ridley. I brought up 6 other players. Why do you have nothing to say for the ones I brought up?

And since you want to bring up our prior debates: Why is Tom Brady 2-4 in his last 6? Why have Tom Brady's numbers suffered significantly over the last 8? According to you, it's not because the team around him is injured, right? Because you told me over and over again for 4 pages in a thread about who the league MVP should be, that Brady deserves it because, and I quote, "It doesn't matter who Tom Brady plays with."

Explain that for me too while you come up with an explanation for the 6 guys I mentioned and supplied independent stats for. 

you are the one always crowing to me even though you get crushed any time you try to debate me.

all offseason I heard how they didn't fumble b/c of the footballs, now a season in the books where they have been watched closely and it shows the opposite.  argue all you want, they are just excuses.  just admit they are a great franchise as painful as it may be(it is really painful for me but I can see reality).

I don't think that was ever exactly the theory, because there is a need to explain away the Patriots 6 fumbles against Denver in 2013.   So I think you left out the "except when it's WICKED cold" caveat.

he has no argument, he is trying to create one now.

Can I cherry pick stats as well?

Again, as JN swore it was going to happen, there would be a huge increase in fumbles.  There was not. 

The Patriots numbers prove one thing, this is much ado about nothing.

As far as the drops go........

What other causes might affect the difference in drops? A new QB (Vereen).  Injuries (Edelman and Lafell).  An Increased role (Amendola, Dobson and White).  The OL sucks.

Maybe you did not see the game against the Colts where Edelman's finger was bent sideways, as in dislocated, but he has had the dropsies since.  Amendola, Dobson and White all had (varying) increases in playing time.  And when you go from no playing time and zero drops, chances are you are going to have more drops.  Lafell would be the only one where your theory could apply, but he was PUP'd and has been a hot mess all year.  12 different OL starting combinations.  53 different OL combinations have taken a snap.  Brady has been pummeled.  Last week for example, 23 passes and he was hit 9 times.  

And yet, Brady's numbers have improved.

You can whine and cry about the Patriots if it helps you sleep, but again this is much ado about nothing.

Now you're just being difficult to be difficult. You know damn well what the logical reasoning behind those reports were, just as you knew what the "theory" was when you asked me earlier, and you know damn well what drops have to do with it.. When it gets cold out and the ball is harder to grip, having it slightly deflated makes it easier to catch/hold/not fumble. I'm not aiming to explain away the pats 6 fumbles in 2013 because that was a day where it was so cold that it probably neutralized the playing field. You've heard it said 100 times all over football media - the great cold is the great equalizer. Also, deflating balls isn't exactly the greatest way to cheat, so I'm sure it didn't work all the time. If it did, the pats would have been 16-0. Either way, deflating balls to gain a competitive advantage is a form of cheating, and the patriots took part in it. That's all that needs to be said here. 

More evidence of cheating.  They intentionally injured their top 2 WR's and top 2 RB's so they would be forced to run a turtle offense and artificially improve their fumble rates.  

They are diabolical. 

you are the one always crowing to me even though you get crushed any time you try to debate me.

all offseason I heard how they didn't fumble b/c of the footballs, now a season in the books where they have been watched closely and it shows the opposite.  argue all you want, they are just excuses.  just admit they are a great franchise as painful as it may be(it is really painful for me but I can see reality).

he has no argument, he is trying to create one now.

Can you stay on topic, for once?

Archived