EDIT: NO TRADE! says Sandy Alderson.... UPDATE: Gomez traded to Houston

Morrissey

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a freakin disgrace.  How could any team be willing to deal with the Mets in the future.  From today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Agent, Brewers dispute claims that Carlos Gomez has hip issue  
By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
July 30, 2015 10:15 a.m.

Both Brewers general manager Doug Melvin and agent Scott Boras disputed the notion Thursday morning that centerfielder Carlos Gomez has a hip issue serious enough to flunk a medical review.  The Brewers thought they had a deal with the Mets on Wednesday evening to send Gomez to New York in exchange for injured pitcher Zack Wheeler and infielder Wilmer Flores. That deal was called off by the Mets over what they said was a hip issue with Gomez that concerned them.

Boras, who represents Gomez, said Gomez never had a hip issue to begin with and certainly doesn't have one now. Boras said the health problem Gomez had in early June was something else that since had been medically cleared.  "Carlos never had any issue with his hip," Boras said in a telephone interview Thursday morning. "He had an abductor and groin issue a few weeks ago and just to make sure he was OK, we requested the team do an MRI that showed his abductor had healed with medication. The doctor just happened to throw in, 'By the way, his hip structurally and tissue-wise is clean.'

"So, we have evidence that a doctor on record said his hip in fact was clean. So, why did this become an issue."

Melvin, who would only say Wednesday night that a medical issue arose that nixed the trade, reiterated Thursday morning that the Brewers felt Gomez's hip was fine.

“Carlos Gomez, in my mind, is healthy," Melvin told FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal. "There’s no issue. We don’t feel there’s anything wrong with his hip.”

So, what really happened that led to the Mets calling off the deal? A source familiar with the talks on both sides said a series of events that were actually financial, not medical, were the key factors.

That source said in initial talks, the Mets wanted the Brewers to take centerfielder Juan Lagares in the trade. The Brewers said no, in part because Lagares has an elbow issue but also because he has a four-year, $23 million contract extension that kicks in next year and they didn't want to pick up the money.

So, after further talks, it was decided that the Brewers would take Flores in addition to Wheeler, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery and won't be able to pitch before next June. The source said the Mets then asked the Brewers to throw in the 2016 Competitive Balance Round B pick they were recently awarded and the Brewers said no.

The source said the Brewers then were asked to put some money in the trade to cover part of what's remaining on Gomez's contract, including a $9 million salary next year. Considering the talent level of Gomez and his reasonable contract, the Brewers understandably declined to put any cash into the deal.

It was only then, according to the source, that the Mets came back and said they were calling off the deal because of concerns over Gomez's medical records.

So, this became a financial issue in the end, which many people would say is not surprising considering the financial constraints the Mets have been operating under in recent years.

And I'm guessing the Brewers are none too thrilled about how this transpired, though the diplomatic Melvin would never say so.

It keeps getting Mets-ier.  Shane is writing a book of sonnets.

I liked the deal for both sides but truth is the Mets overpaid a little bit. I'm hoping this is going to be one of those blessings in disguise instances. Fingers crossed for Cespedes. I'm holding off on throwing a hissy fit because it's not necessary until around this time tomorrow.

So Boras says his client "never had a hip issue", yet Gomez himself was talking about his hip problem just 5 weeks ago.

I'm also calling bullsh*t on the money thing. There's no way leaks happen of that magnitude and they don't go to medicals without money being agreed to. Come on.

I'm also calling bullsh*t on the money thing. There's no way leaks happen of that magnitude and they don't go to medicals without money being agreed to. Come on.

I have no issue with Alderson being viewed as a driver of hard bargains. 

It certainly beats the days of Minaya and Phillips rolling over and getting snookered.

I have no issue with Alderson being viewed as a driver of hard bargains. 

It certainly beats the days of Minaya and Phillips rolling over and getting snookered.

I dunno, Boras is kind of a skeeve. It's way more believable that he's spinning a narrative to protect his client, and it's an easy one to throw out there given the Mets' financial problems the past several years. When else has there been an instance of a deal going to medicals before money is agreed to?

I dunno, Boras is kind of a skeeve. It's way more believable that he's spinning a narrative to protect his client, and it's an easy one to throw out there given the Mets' financial problems the past several years. When else has there been an instance of a deal going to medicals before money is agreed to?

There is definitely posturing going on by the Brewers and Boras, as they have stated they still want to trade Gomez. They are in best position if buyers feel he does not have a medical issue.

Say what you want about the Mets leaving in Flores (rightly so) last night, but how about the Brewers saying they will still trade Gomez. Some love, huh?

Minaya > Alderson

You are very wrong there.

Minaya tried for quick wins, which the Mets never got. He did not leave the franchise in position to succeed long term, and was loyal to players that he should not have been loyal to. Minaya had free reign of a budget, which Alderson never had with the Mets, or other stops. Alderson has won a WS.

There is definitely posturing going on by the Brewers and Boras, as they have stated they still want to trade Gomez. They are in best position if buyers feel he does not have a medical issue.

Say what you want about the Mets leaving in Flores (rightly so) last night, but how about the Brewers saying they will still trade Gomez. Some love, huh?

I actually think Alderson should have called down to Collins once they went to medicals, but it's not as bad as some are making it out to be. It's certainly not Collins' fault. Honestly if Flores didn't cry and just handled it like a professional nobody would give a sh*t.

Mets are 2 out of 1st place and 4 out of the wildcard they should be trying to make the playoffs with what they have not trading young pitchers for overrated veterans. Spend the money in the offseason if the Coupons decide they want to be owners again.

Last I checked he just tried to trade Wheeler for a past his prime OF.

First, Wheeler would not be an ace on the Mets. At very best, he would be a 3-5, probably more toward the lower end of that scale.

Wheeler is inefficient in his pitching-He does not trust his stuff and is constantly working high pitch counts in the 5th and 6th inning.

Maybe I am spoiled by the current Met staff, but Zach Wheeler would not be considered an ace on the Mets.

By getting Matt Harvey, Dillon Gee, Jon Niese, Daniel Murphy, Lucas Duda and Jacob DeGrom?

I have no interest in doing the research but generally speaking the guy's MO was trading prospects at a discount for proven players. i highly doubt that the only part of our scouting department that is any good, is the part that he put in place. Ask Toronto fans if they have fond memories of Minaya.

First, Wheeler would not be an ace on the Mets. At very best, he would be a 3-5, probably more toward the lower end of that scale.

Wheeler is inefficient in his pitching-He does not trust his stuff and is constantly working high pitch counts in the 5th and 6th inning.

Maybe I am spoiled by the current Met staff, but Zach Wheeler would not be considered an ace on the Mets.

Wheeler is absolutely an ace potential guy and only 25. Even with tommy john it would be a huge blunder to trade him for a guy like Gomez.

You have Harvey so what? He won't be a met 3 years from now all more reason to keep Wheeler.

He's 25 y/o and spent one year in the bigs before he got hurt. I wouldn't put a ton of stock in his one year.

I liked the deal for both sides but truth is the Mets overpaid a little bit. I'm hoping this is going to be one of those blessings in disguise instances. Fingers crossed for Cespedes. I'm holding off on throwing a hissy fit because it's not necessary until around this time tomorrow.

..but hissy fits will be had!  It's okay, I am a patient man. 

So Boras says his client "never had a hip issue", yet Gomez himself was talking about his hip problem just 5 weeks ago.

Because he was referring to the groin adductor issue as his "hip."  That isn't really unusual and I thought they said his hip was okay too?

I actually think Alderson should have called down to Collins once they went to medicals, but it's not as bad as some are making it out to be. It's certainly not Collins' fault. Honestly if Flores didn't cry and just handled it like a professional nobody would give a sh*t.

Right.  They went to medicals, but it is all the fault of "social media"

Archived