Rex Ryan breaks down and cries when HBO asks about time with Jets - Watch this

Flushing Roots

I don't expect championships, i expect competence. We weren't even getting the bare minimum in his final year.

Completely wrong. He didn't get worse as a HC, he got far worse talent around him. Granted, part of that was his fault but a large part of that was Idzik saving cap space for this season and hanging Rex out to dry last year. 

With that said, Rex deserved to get fired. But you can't ignore what he brought to this franchise in the first few years. You can't be incompetent and win that many playoff road games without a stud QB if you aren't a really good head coach. Rex took MARK SANCHEZ to 4 road playoff victories and 2 AFC Championship games. And  those teams weren't exactly loaded with pro bowlers those years. It was basically Revis, a couple of solid OL guys and Rex leading the way. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely wrong. He didn't get worse as a HC, he got far worse talent around him. Granted, part of that was his fault but a large part of that was Idzik saving cap space for this season and hanging Rex out to dry last year.

With that said, Rex deserved to get fired. But you can't ignore what he brought to this franchise in the first few years. You can't be incompetent and win that many playoff road games without a stud QB if you aren't a really good head coach. Rex took MARK SANCHEZ to 4 road playoff victories and 2 AFC Championship games. And those teams weren't exactly loaded with pro bowlers those years. It was basically Revis, a couple of solid OL guys and Rex leading the way.

This is so unbelievably wrong. Are you really trying to say that those AFC Championship teams weren't loaded with talent? Behind that line Thomas Jones was able to put up insane rushing numbers. Our defense had enough talent to be the number one defense in the league. '09 we added Braylon Edwards and in 2010 we paired him with Holmes to bolster our WR corps. That isn't even mentioning the defensive additions like Cro, Taylor, Pouha emerging, etc.

The ONLY position that was in question was QB, and Rex's total lack of offensive knowledge is exactly why that never changed no matter the year. I mean hell, listen to the reports about how the offense looks this year. I haven't heard reports that exciting since 2008 when we had Favre. Now go read some training camp reports in Buffalo and tell me if they sound familiar.

Look, I honestly don't care how far Rex took us. He's nothing more than a glorified defensive coordinator with great motivational skills. After a couple of years that wears off though, not just to fans but to players as well. His teams we're completely undisciplined and lacked any sort of accountability. We're starting to get some confirmation of that through the players and also get good idea of how they felt about it. Our offenses, no matter the coordinator or talent, always struggled to take off because of his insistence on playing a completely archaic style of football on that side of the ball. When Rex lost the team he inherented from Mangini, his records were 8-8, 6-10, 8-8, 4-12 so you know what? I'm completely sick and tired of being told how thankful we should be to have had Rex when the reality is he should have been fired along with Tanny three years ago when they were both completely exposed.

We need to cheer for this guy when he comes back to play us.

He's a simple guy, some bad to that but a lot of good - he gave us everything he had. 

i give jerking off everything i got. i'll take my trophy for trying now.

Why does he get extra credit for winning in spite of Sanchez when Sanchez is his fault? Why does he get extra credit for winning in the playoffs as road underdogs when he's responsible for being in a position to have to win road playoff games against better teams in the first place?

Well Tom Brady and the most dominant team in sports for the last 15 years is in the division, makes it a wee bit tougher to host playoff games.

And it's not like there were alternatives, as solid an option as Kellen Clemens was. I think Rex deserves criticism for sanchez but more for the later years

Why does he get extra credit for winning in spite of Sanchez when Sanchez is his fault? Why does he get extra credit for winning in the playoffs as road underdogs when he's responsible for being in a position to have to win road playoff games against better teams in the first place?

So he beat what you admit were "better teams" in the playoffs and you think that isn't noteworthy?

Rex was what this team needed when he arrived . I have no ill feelings toward the man at all. The problem became clear over his tenure here. He is a motivational coach. A supremely talented one. One of the reasons he was not a great fit is because unlike other coaches, his intellect/maturity is about the same level as the players he is coaching. His loyalty to fading talent hurt him bad .., see Bart Scott.

The last two years here it became clear he was not intelligent/mature enough for the job. Also ... All the side show antics did not help his cause.

I will cheer him when he comes to Met Life because the man gave every ounce of himself for this team.

I hope we thrash his team though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With that said, Rex deserved to get fired. But you can't ignore what he brought to this franchise in the first few years. You can't be incompetent and win that many playoff road games without a stud QB if you aren't a really good head coach. Rex took MARK SANCHEZ to 4 road playoff victories and 2 AFC Championship games. And  those teams weren't exactly loaded with pro bowlers those years. It was basically Revis, a couple of solid OL guys and Rex leading the way. 

Mark Sanchez was really good in both postseasons and was developing at a nice pace until we basically fired the OC then brought in Sparano and stripped the talent around the QB. 

Like any good coach Rex needs talent to win, when he had it he won, when he didn't he still fielded competitive teams(until last year).

So he beat what you admit were "better teams" in the playoffs and you think that isn't noteworthy?

Of course they were better teams. They weren't saddled with tubby's chosen quarterback. We were way better than all of those teams except at quarterback, and with a merely bad one instead of Mark Sanchez, we're better on balance than most of them. It's like watching a comeback and completely ignoring that it's the same guys that got behind in the first place.

Of course they were better teams. They weren't saddled with tubby's chosen quarterback. We were way better than all of those teams except at quarterback, and with a merely bad one instead of Mark Sanchez, we're better on balance than most of them. It's like watching a comeback and completely ignoring that it's the same guys that got behind in the first place.

Mark Sanchez was really good in both postseasons, we didn't lose either title game b/c of the QB.  we lost b/c of our supposed elite defenses that caved.

pre Rex w/ a HOFer we couldn't even get to the playoffs despite a weaker sched and no Brady.

Well Tom Brady and the most dominant team in sports for the last 15 years is in the division, makes it a wee bit tougher to host playoff games.

And it's not like there were alternatives, as solid an option as Kellen Clemens was. I think Rex deserves criticism for sanchez but more for the later years

Why the later years? The point at which Sanchez had zero chance to ever be any good happened way before the point at which you goofballs finally figured it out. No alternatives, that's outrageous. Any quarterback who played a single meaningful minute in 2009, 2010, or 2011. There's your alternatives.

Mark Sanchez was really good in both postseasons, we didn't lose either title game b/c of the QB.  we lost b/c of our supposed elite defenses that caved.

pre Rex w/ a HOFer we couldn't even get to the playoffs despite a weaker sched and no Brady.

+1 Unless you take away the fumble returned for a td. :winking0001: . In the 1998 AFCCG the Jets D gave up 23 points in the 2nd half was that on the Tuna or BB I wonder?? I know Vinny had twice the passing yardage of Elway and of course their back had almost 12 times the yardage as ours.. That was a total team collapse but I don't remember the hate for any of the people that were responsible.. I do remember the excuse's up the Wazoo though..LOL  As far as Mangini not replacing a hurt Favre in 2008 was it because he never developed Clemens his choice in the 2nd rd of the 2006 draft?? 

I would disagree.  Yes the Indy game was on the defense but you can't say it was the defenses fault for the Steelers.  Yes the Jets D let up 17 points in the first half  But only let up 7 points in 2nd half.  The offense didn't score anything for the 1st half.  I blame the offense for the Steelers loss.

+1 Unless you take away the fumble returned for a td. :winking0001: . In the 1998 AFCCG the Jets D gave up 23 points in the 2nd half was that on the Tuna or BB I wonder?? I know Vinny had twice the passing yardage of Elway and of course their back had almost 12 times the yardage as ours.. That was a total team collapse but I don't remember the hate for any of the people that were responsible.. I do remember the excuse's up the Wazoo though..LOL  As far as Mangini not replacing a hurt Favre in 2008 was it because he never developed Clemens his choice in the 2nd rd of the 2006 draft?? 

I still don't believe that was a fumble but they called it that way.  Either way he was blindsided and that fumble didn't cost us the title game.

if he doesn't fumble, we punt and Pitt gets plenty of time w/ the ball around midfield.  they are scoring at least 3 and go up 20-0, w/ the fumble they went up 24-0 then we kicked FG so in reality we either go into half trailing 20-0 or 24-3.  1 pt difference.  He led the team back from 24-0 down to w/in 5 w/ plenty of time left and the D needed to allow just 1 1st down to give the O a chance, they couldn't do it and allowed the Steelers to run out the clock.  I was in that building, the Pitt fans were extremely nervous about us getting another chance to win that game.

In 1998 we lost b/c we turned it over 6 times.

Favre made his career playing through pain, he was healthy enough to play.  he just sucked like he had most of that season.  he was exciting though and some fans like excitement over wins.

Sanchez used to suck because of Schottenheimer. Now he sucks because we fired Schottenheimer. This is enthralling.

except he didn't suck and was developing at a nice rate until we essentially fired Schottenheimer b/c he was the scapegoat among fans and the media.

I would disagree.  Yes the Indy game was on the defense but you can't say it was the defenses fault for the Steelers.  Yes the Jets D let up 17 points in the first half  But only let up 7 points in 2nd half.  The offense didn't score anything for the 1st half.  I blame the offense for the Steelers loss.

The Steelers got the ball first and had a LONG drive for a TD, the O was sitting in that cold for a long time before they touched the ball.  the D set the tone allowing Pitt to run all over them.  The O doesn't go blameless but we were a D first team and the D set the tone then w/ the game on the line failed to get a stop late.

The Steelers got the ball first and had a LONG drive for a TD, the O was sitting in that cold for a long time before they touched the ball.  the D set the tone allowing Pitt to run all over them.  The O doesn't go blameless but we were a D first team and the D set the tone then w/ the game on the line failed to get a stop late.

Aw.  He was cold. First four 4 drives.  16 plays for 16 yards.  That is how he started that game.  His first four drives, 16 plays at 1 yard per, -7 points.  The D gave him the ball twice and scored 2 points.  He netted 10 points.  All hail the conquering hero (apologies to 80 and Ryan Fitzpatrick)

Aw.  He was cold. First four 4 drives.  16 plays for 16 yards.  That is how he started that game.  His first four drives, 16 plays at 1 yard per, -7 points.  The D gave him the ball twice and scored 2 points.  He netted 10 points.  All hail the conquering hero (apologies to 80 and Ryan Fitzpatrick)

Steelers get ball first and go on a FIFTEEN play, 9+ minute TD drive.

Jets get the ball, get a couple of 1st downs, a penalty hurts them.  3rd and 14 and they fail, then punt.

Pitt gets ball back, holds for another 4 mins.  go for it on 4th and 1 and fail.

Jets get ball back, end around loses 4 yds, false start loses another 5.  2nd and 19.  is that a good spot for a QB?

Pitt gets ball back. get down to our 2 and settle for FG.  10-0 Pitt

Jets get it back and go 3 and out.  first possession QB can be blamed. No penalties, no negative plays to hamper him.

Pitt gets it back and goes on 6 minute TD drive.  Up 17-0.

Steelers get ball first and go on a FIFTEEN play, 9+ minute TD drive.

Jets get the ball, get a couple of 1st downs, a penalty hurts them.  3rd and 14 and they fail, then punt.

Pitt gets ball back, holds for another 4 mins.  go for it on 4th and 1 and fail.

Jets get ball back, end around loses 4 yds, false start loses another 5.  2nd and 19.  is that a good spot for a QB?

Pitt gets ball back. get down to our 2 and settle for FG.  10-0 Pitt

Jets get it back and go 3 and out.  first possession QB can be blamed. No penalties, no negative plays to hamper him.

Pitt gets it back and goes on 6 minute TD drive.  Up 17-0.

If you are going to blame penalties the Jets had the Steelers 3 and out on the first drive and they called Cro.  The "couple of 1st downs" Sanchez got in that first drive included penalties on Clark and Ike Taylor.  IMO a major factor in losing that game was that it was called tightly.  Especially at the start.  The called it evenly, but it was not to our benefit. 

If you are going to blame penalties the Jets had the Steelers 3 and out on the first drive and they called Cro.  The "couple of 1st downs" Sanchez got in that first drive included penalties on Clark and Ike Taylor.  IMO a major factor in losing that game was that it was called tightly.  Especially at the start.  The called it evenly, but it was not to our benefit. 

the first penalty on Pitt that helped the O was on a 1s and 10 so we moved 5 yards ahead and had another first and 10(this was just after a 14 yd completion on 3rd and 10 gave us a 1st down).

O and D came out poorly that day but we were a D first team, our D was supposed to be elite.  They played like it a week earlier and the O played great too which was why we beat the best team in the AFC.  they both came out sluggish but it hurts more when your D allows an opponent to run all over them, control the clock and continually score then when we finally have the game w/in a possession the D cannot get one stop to give their O a chance.

Still trying to get my head around Schottenheimer's firing being used as an excuse for Consuela.

what is so difficult to comprehend about it?  Brian was a scapegoat for the media and fans, he did a good job here under difficult circumstances w/ constant change at the most important position.  Mark had a good rookie year, he was very good in year 2 and while taking a step back in year 3 he still set a franchise record for most total TDs in a season.  Brian is let go, we bring in Sparano, Tebow and Mark is throwing to Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill and co. and fans/media expected Mark to improve.  Then we fire Tannenbaum and bring in a buffoon GM who anoints Geno Smith starter forcing Rex to play Mark in 2nd half of preseason game and getting hurt for the year which cost us a playoff chance in 2013.

what is so difficult to comprehend about it?  Brian was a scapegoat for the media and fans, he did a good job here under difficult circumstances w/ constant change at the most important position.  Mark had a good rookie year, he was very good in year 2 and while taking a step back in year 3 he still set a franchise record for most total TDs in a season.  Brian is let go, we bring in Sparano, Tebow and Mark is throwing to Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill and co. and fans/media expected Mark to improve.  Then we fire Tannenbaum and bring in a buffoon GM who anoints Geno Smith starter forcing Rex to play Mark in 2nd half of preseason game and getting hurt for the year which cost us a playoff chance in 2013.

While he was better in the playoffs but Marks rookie year was 12 tds and 20 picks not good in my book.. I always wonder if Mark sat for a couple of years like Chad did he may have been a much better QB..

I think this is the first time someone has absolved Sanchez, Rex, and Schottenheimer of all blame, so points for novelty, at least.

While he was better in the playoffs but Marks rookie year was 12 tds and 20 picks not good in my book.. I always wonder if Mark sat for a couple of years like Chad did he may have been a much better QB..

keep in mind 15 of the 20 INTs came in 4 games.  he had 4 terrible games to skew #s but was good the majority of that season especially for a rookie.

I think Mark was ready, he had his ups and downs but when the lights were shining the brightest he stepped up.  The issue w/ him was after initially surrounding him w/ talent we stopped.  after 2010 we got rid of his security blanket in Cotchery and his favorite WR Braylon and replaced them w/ a guy fresh out of prison for 2 years and an old, cranky Derrick Mason.  after that it kept getting worse.  In 2012 he had 2 reliable targets who were both hurt the majority of that season(Keller and Holmes).  it's a shame b/c he should still be here but hopefully Geno improves w/ all the talent we have around him this year.

I think this is the first time someone has absolved Sanchez, Rex, and Schottenheimer of all blame, so points for novelty, at least.

Fans need scapegoats, I see it all the time w/ Mark, Rex, Schottenheimer, Tannenbaum but how in the world did we make 2 championship games w/ those guys in key positions for us if they all sucked?

and nowhere have I absolved them of all blame, I just don't bring out the torches and pitchforks and blame everything on them like many fans do.

Archived