Fantasy Football Part Deaux?

Pac

My issue would be since I've never done auction style those who have would have a better idea of how to allocate their money.  I can go and research for a couple hours and be prepared but I got a sense from people signing up that they wouldn't be inclined to spend a lot of time prepping for a draft.

On ESPN they provide a "suggested" dollar amount, and also give you a "max bid" amount, which is useful later in the draft.  The market tends to set itself depending on what people are doing. 

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My issue would be since I've never done auction style those who have would have a better idea of how to allocate their money.  I can go and research for a couple hours and be prepared but I got a sense from people signing up that they wouldn't be inclined to spend a lot of time prepping for a draft.

Don't need that much time.  The draft tool has pre-populated suggested values for players, and sites offer free customizable auction value generators (like this one): http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/fantasy/fantasy-football-cheat-sheet

Just plug in the league settings (# of teams, starters/bench, and scoring system) and it spits out custom values

On ESPN they provide a "suggested" dollar amount, and gives you a "max bid" amount, which is useful later in the draft.  The market tends to set itself depending on what people are doing. 

Exactly.  (The max bid is how much you can spend on any one player and still have enough left over to fill your roster out with enough players at $1 each).  ESPN also runs mock auctions, so if you do want to get a feel for how they go and you have the time to put in, you can.

Exactly.  (The max bid is how much you can spend on any one player and still have enough left over to fill your roster out with enough players at $1 each).  ESPN also runs mock auctions, so if you do want to get a feel for how they go and you have the time to put in, you can.

Pac/Smash bidding far for Sanchez

I'd try the auction drafts...never did it that way.

Prefer Yahoo only cause its the only site I've used before...if we go ESPN...can someone explain the advantages for that.

The Yahoo draft tool and android App are both clunkier than ESPNs, IMO - especially the draft tool.  Otherwise, there's no difference.

You can have Luck....if you outbid people for him.  You're only given a set amount of money ($200 on ESPN) so you have to make smart decisions.  If there's a player you really want you usually have to put up something like $60 for that player, leaving you exposed in other spots on the field.  

The advantage of auction is you can have player combos you'd never be able to get in a snake draft.  Want Jamaal Charles AND Le'Veon Bell?  Or want to load up on Packers and get Lacy, Rodgers, Jordy and Cobb on your team?  You can do that if you pay the price. 

I vote for auction on ESPN.   I've never done an auction league but I tried an auction "mock draft" on ESPN and it seemed cool.  I would recommend trying that out to see how it works.  Just go here anytime:  http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/mockdraftlobby

getting the disappointment out of the way.  I knew how it would go as soon as I posed the question. 

of course, doggin is likable and known as smart.. you are, well you... which is to say the exact opposite

you were never winning this one

meh..  auction means everyone can have Andrew Luck if they want?  seems stupid.

No.  It means everyone can have an equal chance at being the one team with Andrew Luck, by being the team that bids the highest for him.  Knowing this crew, everyone else then gets to pound their chests about the winner over paying, how they never really wanted Luck and were just bidding to drive the price up for the sucker who paid too much, and how they came up with the best nickname for Luck anyway, and isn't that what's really important?

maybe I'm not understanding this..

we all get a fixed amount - lets say $200..  are players being auctioned off to the entire league and can only be claimed by 1 team?  For example high bid on Luck gets Luck and no one else can?

Or is it we all get our kitty and can pick whoever we want which would mean we might have teams sharing multiple players?

Either way has its flaws but one is worse than the other.

No.  It means everyone can have an equal chance at being the one team with Andrew Luck, by being the team that bids the highest for him.  Knowing this crew, everyone else then gets to pound their chests about the winner over paying, how they never really wanted Luck and were just bidding to drive the price up for the sucker who paid too much, and how they came up with the best nickname for Luck anyway, and isn't that what's really important?

you just ninja'd my question.

well that's better than I thought but still a little skeptical only because I wouldn't have a good idea of how to allocate funds.  Having never done it and all.

you just ninja'd my question.

well that's better than I thought but still a little skeptical only because I wouldn't have a good idea of how to allocate funds.  Having never done it and all.

That's the beauty of the auction - there's no one formula.  You can go Stars & Scrubs - blow your budget on big ticket studs at 4 positions (say you spend $184 on Luck, Lacy, Lynch, and Antonio Brown) and fill in the rest with $1 per player longshots (think Blake Bortles will have a big year? How about Allen Robinson?).  You can go with a balanced lineup of roughly equal price middle tier players and a deep bench.  You can target specific players you badly want - just pay for them.  You can go with value - just pick up players you think are selling for less than they're worth, and adjust on the fly when you've done so.  Etc. 

You also get to screw with other people.  Already paid top dollar for Luck?  Next time your turn to nominate comes around, nominate another top tier QB.  Then do it again and again, and watch teams without a QB scramble to overpay for players you have no interest in.  Someone drafted Geno or Bradford?  Nominate Fitzpatrick or Sanchez and force them to choose between potentially wasting a roster spot and auction dollars on a backup QB or having their starter lose his job (or get injured) and no viable replacement.

There are plenty of expert articles out there about allocating $$ in an auction.

That's the beauty of the auction - there's no one formula.  You can go Stars & Scrubs - blow your budget on big ticket studs at 4 positions (say you spend $184 on Luck, Lacy, Lynch, and Antonio Brown) and fill in the rest with $1 per player longshots (think Blake Bortles will have a big year? How about Allen Robinson?).  You can go with a balanced lineup of roughly equal price middle tier players and a deep bench.  You can target specific players you badly want - just pay for them.  You can go with value - just pick up players you think are selling for less than they're worth, and adjust on the fly when you've done so.  Etc. 

You also get to screw with other people.  Already paid top dollar for Luck?  Next time your turn to nominate comes around, nominate another top tier QB.  Then do it again and again, and watch teams without a QB scramble to overpay for players you have no interest in.  Someone drafted Geno or Bradford?  Nominate Fitzpatrick or Sanchez and force them to choose between potentially wasting a roster spot and auction dollars on a backup QB or having their starter lose his job (or get injured) and no viable replacement.

There are plenty of expert articles out there about allocating $$ in an auction.

Yeah I was trying to avoid having to spend a couple hours familiarizing myself with the format.  Feel like unless you've had exposure to the process you're at an immediate disadvantage. 

Yeah I was trying to avoid having to spend a couple hours familiarizing myself with the format.  Feel like unless you've had exposure to the process you're at an immediate disadvantage. 

Just do one of ESPN's mock auctions and it will be very easy to see how it works.  You don't need to stay in it the whole time, meaning you'll learn the process in 15 minutes. 

Just do one of ESPN's mock auctions and it will be very easy to see how it works.  You don't need to stay in it the whole time, meaning you'll learn the process in 15 minutes. 

lol @ pac learning anything in 15 minutes

Archived