Jets Safety Antonio Allen Injured

JetNation

IMG_5705 (2)

By Glenn Naughton

The New York Jets suffered a significant training camp injury at Florham Park today when safety Antonio Allen fell to the turf on a non-contact injury during what was to be the final play of the day.

Allen was helped off the field by trainers and was unable to put any weight on his right leg. Following practice, head coach Todd Bowles said the injury was in fact an ACL, but the severity is unknown at this time.

Given the news of Allen’s injury, it will likely open the door for Jaiquawn Jarrett and Rontez Miles.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
_nwFe99rpNk

View the full article

S*cks any way you look at it ... But I def prefer ACL to Achilles

That was an error that was later changed to Achilles but JN bot published the ACL version.

My apologies.

Jets Waive/Injured Antonio Allen, Sign Corner Lyn

Posted 46 minutes ago

120725-on-the-inside-with-eric-allen-heaEric AllenSr. Reporter/Director, Internet ProgrammingEmail @eallenjets On the Inside

•  
  •  
Veteran Safety Made 17 Starts the Past Two Seasons

AP_111126129803-article.jpg

A day after Antonio Allenicon-article-link.gif went down in practice, the Jets placed the safety on the waived/injured list. With the roster space, the club signed cornerback Keon Lyn.

Allen, who suffered an Achilles injury in a team drill Thursday, could go on the Jets injured reserve list if he clears waivers. The 6’2”, 210-pound Allen, a seventh-round selection out of South Carolina in 2012, recorded 118 tackles, 13 passes defended and 2.5 sacks from 2012-14.

Last season, Allen played both safety and cornerback for the Jets while making eight starts.  In 2013, the rangy Allen started nine games at safety, collecting two blocked punts on special teams and totaling two touchdowns – including a pick six against the Patriots.

Lyn, who most recently signed with the Jacksonville Sharks of the Arena League, played in 38 games at Syracuse and totaled 20 passes defended and three interceptions. Originally Lyn signed as an undrafted free agent with the Colts following the 2014 NFL Draft.

Keon Lyn

School: Syracuse
Position: CB
Positive: Three-year starter who played in just five games last season before fracturing a knee. Finished the year with 16 tackles. Junior totals included 46 tackles and 3 interceptions. Underrated defensive back with the size and speed to play at the next level. Aggressive, explosive, and fights throughout the action. Quick flipping his hips transitioning off the line, strong at the point, and physically beats down receivers to defend passes. Defeats blocks and quickly makes his way up the field to stop the run.
Negative: Despite his 40-time. does not show great closing speed. Can be a liability in downfield coverage. Quick out of his backpedal, which adversely affects his ability to break to the ball.
Analysis: Lyn passes the eyeball test and came into the season with a draftable grade before his injury. He possesses the measurables to make a roster at the next level but must first prove he's healthy then polish every area of his game.

I have a lot of respect for Allen from last year.  Guy was put in a touch spot being asked to play corner back, played hard and never complained.

Yes this is sad to see I guy that really did all he could to help the team

Yes this is sad to see I guy that really did all he could to help the team

Same here faba...versatile guy and one of the VERY few late round picks the Jets have taken who showed the ability to be a legit contributor.

Ok he cleared waivers and Jets put him on ir. this is the last year of his contract and is expected to miss the entire season. Is there any benefit to the team to do this or are they just taking care of him. Just asking out of Curiosity

I keep reading that he will be an UFA, but won't he be restricted?  He will only have 3 years accrued because he won't play in any games this year.  They should be able to tender him.  Even the low tender (around $1M) would give them right to match the contract and a pick back.  Only a 7th, but it is still something.  It is also the class thing to do and can generate some inexpensive good will among the other players, agents and the union.

Archived