Is Revis the Greatest of All Time?

Maxman

Fans debate things, it is what we do. One common debate is where great players rank from a historical perspective. It is less common to hear NFL players sharing their rankings. That is what Brandon Marshall did when he weighed in on the all time CB rankings. Marshall thinks that Darrelle Revis is the greatest CB of all time. When Marshall was asked why, here was his response:

Because I’ve played against him for, going on nine years now. He came out in 2007, and I played against Champ (Bailey). I never really got a chance to go against Champ in his prime, against him. I’ve always practiced against him. Darrelle is just really good at what he does. He’s excellent at what he does.

Marshall added, "He’s a technician and he’s really crafty, really smart. He works hard."

So naturally Darrelle Revis was asked for his thoughts on Marshall's comments.

It’s a great compliment from Brandon. I played against him throughout my whole career. We’ve had our battles. He’s won some battles when we played against each other in the past and I’ve won some. I think it’s just a mutual respect that we have for each other. And now we’re teammates. I never thought we would be teammates in my wildest dreams. Now we get to compete against each other. I’m glad he’s on my team. I don’t have to look across the huddle and see that it’s Brandon Marshall.

Being in the same category as Deion Sanders is quite the accomplishment. Revis chimes in on that thought:

It’s an honor. I mean I don’t even really have that many words for it. It’s an honor and I appreciate it. People seeing your body of work and what you’ve done. I’ve still got a long ways to go and at the same time I think I just have to continue to what I’ve been doing. It’s just work my butt off like, I’ve always been doing and continue to have an open mind to the game and be an open book to it and absorb up all the information I can.

So we leave it up to you to decide, is Darrelle Revis the greatest of all time?

D-Revis.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear you. But Any time you threw the ball Deion's way you were risking an pick six. He also bring more to the table with his return skills. Also played a lil wr too. I am a Revis fan. I believe he is the best in the game but not of all time

I hear you. But Any time you threw the ball Deion's way you were risking an pick six. He also bring more to the table with his return skills. Also played a lil wr too. I am a Revis fan. I believe he is the best in the game but not of all time

Return man, he was great. The question is about corners though. People don't throw Revis' way because he's that good, can't hold that against him. Can't get over that and that WRs are bigger and faster and the game is more pass friendly than it was in Deion's days. Or that Revis is much more physical, will hit you, will play the run and make tackles. Deion never.

It's a great debate though.

You can't compare him to Deion.

Teams didn't even look that way with Deion out there. I was watching Revis's playoff game against the Ravens last year and he was getting tore up in the first half, that never happened with Deion.

Personally I'd take A. Glenn over Revis

If the topic is specifically "greatest CB of all-time" it would seem to me that WR & KR skills should not be used in Deion's favor for that discussion.

Revis should certainly get points for the rules in 2015 favoring QB & WR's so much more now than when the other players played.

I'd still prob go Deion 1, Revis 2 .... Didn't pay enough attention back with Champ or The great Oak CB days to judge them

Teams didn't even look that way with Deion out there. I was watching Revis's playoff game against the Ravens last year and he was getting tore up in the first half, that never happened with Deion.

You must have short memory on Revis. He was rarely thrown to during his first time with the Jets. One playoff game is what you're basing him on?

Deion Sanders was a "game changer", while I would put Revis more in the class of an "offensive mindset changer".

It is very difficult to put a CB in a game changer mode, but that is what Sanders was. Though his tackling was poor, he could turn a game around.

Revis is more in the Champ Bailey and Darrell Green mode. And that is strong company.

Rod Woodson had a little different effect.

best cover corner I have ever seen and that includes Deion.  Deion was the much better playmaker, he'd toy w/ QBs in order to try to get picks and once he had the ball in his hands he was a threat to score but he got beat a lot more than Revis does and I don't think he followed around the top WRs from other teams the way Revis does.

Deion Sanders was a "game changer", while I would put Revis more in the class of an "offensive mindset changer".

It is very difficult to put a CB in a game changer mode, but that is what Sanders was. Though his tackling was poor, he could turn a game around.

Revis is more in the Champ Bailey and Darrell Green mode. And that is strong company.

Rod Woodson had a little different effect.

Champ and Green do not belong in the same sentence as Revis.

I think Woodson was very overrated as a corner but was a great safety.

you have got to be kidding me.  Aaron Glenn was a good corner, nothing more.  Revis is an all time great.  Go back and watch some old games when Irvin, Rice and others would light up Deion's D's.  That never happens w/ Revis. 

Aaron Glenn is so incredibly overrated by Jet fans.

Too early to anoint him the GOAT, but since 2009 he's been paving a road towards being the GOAT and he will likely reach it! 

Someone like Deion has better ball skills, is a better athlete and is a pick 6 waiting to happen on any snap, but the amount of Monster WRs Revis has held in check is quite unprecedented...2009 was an insane season as far as shutting down elite WRs week to week. Still don't understand how they gave Charles Woodson  DPOY over Revis...

Revis needs too keep up this pace for a few more seasons IMO to reach that mark.... 

Somebody better tell B . Marshall that Darryl Green and Rod Woodson want to have a talk with him about that comment.

those guys weren't half the cover corners Revis is.  Not even in the discussion w/ Revis especially Woodson. 

Revis is in the conversation. He is a far better tackler than Deion was, and can come up and make solo tackles in the backfield. He is probably a better cover corner than Deion as well. But Deion made more plays on the ball and was super dangerous once he had it. Pick 6s are worth more than just a PD. It's something we will see this year under Bowles, we may give up more yards but our defense will have much more impact because we will get a lot of picks and probably score some on defense.

I think Deion was probably a little more impactful. Revis a better technician. But Revis has a good five more years to separate himself as the best. It seems to me like a comparison in music. Bonham was a much more musical drummer, but Buddy Rich was a better technician. "Best" depends on what you value more.

You crazy. Yes they were. Have you watch them? Especially D. Green??? Check his stats.

I saw them all, Green was really good.  Revis is on a completely different level.  I have never seen a corner shut down top WRs the way Revis has.  Green was also a great playmaker w/ the ball in his hands but QBs tried to throw on him,.  QBs can't throw on Revis.

I saw them all, Green was really good.  Revis is on a completely different level.  I have never seen a corner shut down top WRs the way Revis has.  Green was also a great playmaker w/ the ball in his hands but QBs tried to throw on him,.  QBs can't throw on Revis.

Throwing on a corner and not throwing on a corner shouldnt make a difference with them two. At the end of the day, did his receiver scored on him? D.Green played 19 seasons..

Darrly Green was the sh*t. I think he is the GOAT corner. Revis is in the Convo, but i dont think he was better than Green and granted the style of play and players have changed from the 90s to 00s

more from green

NFL records[

• Most consecutive seasons with an interception (19)
  • Most seasons with at least one touch(receptions, rushes, returns) (20); tied with Jerry Rice
  • Oldest player with a 35+ yard gain(lateral on punt return), (42 years, 327 days)
  • Oldest player with an interception return for a touchdown in overtime, (35 years, 249 days)
  • Oldest player with an interception (41 years, 304 days)
  • Oldest player with an 80+ yard interception return (37 years, 309 days)
  • Oldest player with a non-offensive touchdown in overtime, (35 years, 249 days)
  • Oldest NFL Defensive Back (42 years old)[11]
  • 2nd Oldest player to return an interception for a touchdown (37 years, 309 days)
  • Most games played by a defensive player (295)

Throwing on a corner and not throwing on a corner shouldnt make a difference with them two. At the end of the day, did his receiver scored on him? D.Green played 19 seasons..

Darrly Green was the sh*t. I think he is the GOAT corner. Revis is in the Convo, but i dont think he was better than Green and granted the style of play and players have changed from the 90s to 00s

Green was really good, nowhere near Revis.

Green was a ONE time 1st team all pro- Revis already has 4

Green made 7 Pro Bowls in 19 full seasons, Revis has 6 in 7 full seasons

show me what Green did matched up against top WRs? especially in that era where everything didn't favor offenses.  Green was really good, a worthy HOFer.  Not worthy of being compared to Revis.

D Revis isn't even in the top five best cb's of all time. 1 Deion Sanders 2. Rod Woodson 3 Mike Haynes 4. Mel Blount 5. Charles Woodson . Let's put Joe Namath in top five qb's of alltime too - stats weren't hall of fame worthy.

Albert Lewis was a darn good cb who I would probably put ahead of Revis too.

btw Good call on D Green - bad job on my part not giving his due.

D Revis isn't even in the top five best cb's of all time. 1 Deion Sanders 2. Rod Woodson 3 Mike Haynes 4. Mel Blount 5. Charles Woodson . Let's put Joe Namath in top five qb's of alltime too - stats weren't hall of fame worthy.

rod woodson and Charles Woodson are vastly overrated.  Haynes is up there along w/ Lester Hayes-  all well below Darrelle Revis

what does Namath's career have to do w/ Revis? Revis plays at a high level every year, Namath did for only a few(mostly due to injuries).

If you go by just stats Vinny is better then Montana more passing yds and TD's.. Lynn Swann never had even a 900 yd season or a year with more then 61 catches.. Gale Sayers had just 2 thousand yd seasons so do you want them out of the HOF?? Sometimes you have to see the players perform and not just rely on stats..

rod woodson and Charles Woodson are vastly overrated.  Haynes is up there along w/ Lester Hayes-  all well below Darrelle Revis

Rod Woodson overrated he's on top 25 players of all time list.( Revis isn't even sniffing that list or Rod Woodson jock strap- you just don't know how great a player he was. c Woodson had way better career than D Revis, and was just a way better cb over a longer period of time.

Green was really good, nowhere near Revis.

Green was a ONE time 1st team all pro- Revis already has 4

Green made 7 Pro Bowls in 19 full seasons, Revis has 6 in 7 full seasons

show me what Green did matched up against top WRs? especially in that era where everything didn't favor offenses.  Green was really good, a worthy HOFer.  Not worthy of being compared to Revis.

those aren't just "really good numbers".  ha ha "really good" is a description for just slightly above average players....come on!

green has 4 all pro selections.

green has 7 out of 19 (19 years!!, and revis is still playing..you have no idea how his career is gonna end

and you can't ask me to sit here and pin point one particular time since he hasn't played in so long, my memory just cant do that, again  his stats and career speak for itself. You are crazy saying Green is not on Revis level.

no NFL historian would agree with your statements. Especially the fact that Revis career is not even over yet, you have no idea if he is gonna maintain this elite level for another 8  or more seasons. He already missed a season cause of injury.

Fans debate things, it is what we do. One common debate is where great players rank from a historical perspective. It is less common to hear NFL players sharing their rankings. That is what Brandon Marshall did when he weighed in on the all time CB rankings. Marshall thinks that Darrelle Revis is the greatest CB of all time. When Marshall was asked why, here was his response:

Marshall added, "He’s a technician and he’s really crafty, really smart. He works hard."

So naturally Darrelle Revis was asked for his thoughts on Marshall's comments.

Being in the same category as Deion Sanders is quite the accomplishment. Revis chimes in on that thought:

So we leave it up to you to decide, is Darrelle Revis the greatest of all time?

D-Revis.jpg

Revis is arguably one of the best at the moment, which is great for him given that he's still playing. By the time he retires this may not even be a question. 

I will say that he's had the best season ever by a CB (2009) and was completely robbed by the league for not getting DPOTY as well as a few vote considerations for MVP. The level of talent he faced that year and shut down was unprecedented, especially taking into account the rules and type of league he plays in today. 

those aren't just "really good numbers".  ha ha "really good" is a description for just slightly above average players....come on!

green has 4 all pro selections.

green has 7 out of 19 (19 years!!, and revis is still playing..you have no idea how his career is gonna end

and you can't ask me to sit here and pin point one particular time since he hasn't played in so long, my memory just cant do that, again  his stats and career speak for itself. You are crazy saying Green is not on Revis level.

no NFL historian would agree with your statements. Especially the fact that Revis career is not even over yet, you have no idea if he is gonna maintain this elite level for another 8  or more seasons. He already missed a season cause of injury.

he has ONE 1st team all pro selection.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeDa00.htm

You can't judge based on #s, the best corners shut down their opponents, that is more important than some INT #s. 

I guarantee you all NFL historians would agree with me.  Darrell Green would agree w/ me.

Green played 20 years and had 1 1st team all pro.  He was a very good player but he is not Revis.

Archived